Ended
Watch

Cinco De Mayo in Old Town

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    D
    DamoclesImpaled

Jason nodded slightly as he continued to sip his beer, feeling his anger cool slightly. He really shouldn't have broached such a topic. It wasn't totally appropriate... but, when had Jason ever thought of social appropriateness before? Typically, he just let the words come out of his mouth as he observed the result. With very mixed results, most times. It was interesting to note the reactions of the other Lost, however. The seemed to be filled with fear and dread when even reminded of the Gentry. Personally, Jason always found his blood begin to boil at the thought of the Fae. Perhaps a measure of fear would be healthy as well, but emotions weren't something easily controlled on a whim. Much less so for Changelings.

"I suppose I'm a little lost, even if I do know where I am." He gave what he hoped was a smile, but what probably appeared to be a snarl. "The city has changed since I lived here." It was probably true, but Sacramento hadn't changed that much. It was really just that the Hunterheart kept getting blurred memories of his time there, confusing him greatly. They were also the main reason he was in the city in the first place, which would probably explain how lost he was.

Having calmed down a bit, partially thanks to the effects of the alcohol, he tried to get a conversation going. Or as close to one as he could manage. "So... Cinco de Mayo? You two celebrate this every time it comes around?" Awkward, but his knowledge of the festival was somewhat limited. All he really knew was that it was some kind of annual festival with cultural roots in... Mexico? At least, that's what he thought it was... Yeah, I really have no idea where I am.

S
    Saeyer

Curious about what Jack would say in response to the question, Ava smirked slightly when the Runnerswift completely skipped the 'Keeper' element of things. Not surprising in the least, and probably wise. She didn't quite seem the type to volunteer personal information to most anyone, let alone strangers. And here they were, back to Cinco de Mayo. When he asked if they celebrated it every year Ava chuckled, shaking her head.

"No, not really. I just sort of showed up here as well; I was at a reading a few blocks away and when it finished I figured I'd check out what was going on over here. So far haven't been disappointed!" Taking the last sip of her drink, she swirled the remaining ice cubes around, waiting for them to melt so she'd have something more to drink. The pleasant buzz of alcohol had relaxed her a little, but she knew it wouldn't be wise to drink much more. This much and she was a little more talkative, a bit friendlier, but as a bonafide terrible lightweight she knew it wouldn't stay at that level for long. And so she contented herself with the water from her melting ice cubes, still slightly flavored with gin.

"Most years, wherever I am, if I'm free and there's an event, I'll walk by. The food is usually good," she added after a moment. She wasn't really one for such large gatherings, but once in awhile the bustle and crush was sort of fun. For a little bit, at least. "I'm assuming you don't? Celebrate it usually, that is." Sure, that conversation topic could only go so far, but she was warm and comfortable and enjoying talking to people. Ignoring an elbow to the back from someone leaving the bar behind her, she brushed a bit of loose hair behind her ear and listened.

M
    Mavspade

Jacks hand curled around her new drink. Unlike her Nix companion, Jack really didnt put much forethought in her drink. It tasted good, felt good, thus is good. She stired the drink as as she looked to Ava and Jason, Who seemed to be relaxing...at least his hackles weren't bristling.

She had not really thought about Cinco De Mayo that way before, pausing at the question she realized since her return she had been to every single one. Each year she had celebrated, it never was something she had planned on, or even looked forward to it. Than again running around with Rios and his crowd...it kind of made sense.

The idea caused the hare to chuckle before speaking. "Yeah i guess you could say I make a habit of it. You know it celebrates some kind of battle?"

She didn't know the history but she thought it was fascinating that something that was about a battle was so enjoyable.

"Speaking of food" Jack gestured to the open patio which seemed teaming with delicious edibles. Normally drinks leaving the bar would be an issue. But given the events she bet no one was really playing to much by the rules.

"Care to join?" She glanced at the other two. Part of her still wanted to avoid Jason, keep back from him unsure if he would bite. But the alcohol was relaxing the Hares anxiety, not to mention she was feeling a bit hungry.

D
    DamoclesImpaled

The fact that Cinco de Mayo had anything to do with a battle at all was news to Jason. News he pretended to act interested in. The Nix had guessed one thing correctly: he did not frequently celebrate the holiday, nor did he overly care for it. He said as much. "It just never seemed to be something I needed to celebrate. It's a lot like any other festival, I guess. Loud noise, drunk people, and general idiocy just because it's fun. Not typically my cup of tea." And he didn't even drink tea. The Summer Beast did drink beer however, and he quickly finished what remained of his drink, thankful for the refreshment.

At the mention of food, he immediately perked up a little, only to suppress the relief of possible nourishment with a furrowed brow. He was perhaps trusting these two too much... True, they had given him a drink and were also Lost. But so what? Neither were from the same Court as him, in fact one was from the polar opposite, and their hospitality seemed to strike him as odd. Still... he didn't have any money, and there had essentially just been an offer made to get food. The odds of this being a trap weren't really all that high, and Jason was likely just making himself worry too much. It was more or less customary for a new Changeling to be given hospitality when arriving in a new Freehold, wasn't it? At least, I hope it is.

"Food sounds nice." He said plainly, relaxing ever so slightly. His eyebrows may not have been intentionally furrowed anymore, but the Hunterheart couldn't really make himself appear to be in a good mood even if he tried. It was just the way he looked really. No helping it. He stood up and turned in the direction that had been indicated. "You two are rather kind, helping a stranger into town." He said this sincerely, although one couldn't really tell as Jason sounded about as unhappy as usual.

S
    Saeyer

Ava watched with curiosity as the cogs seemed to turn in Jason's head at the mention of food, finishing the end of her melted ice water and pushing her glass forward on the bar. It would be the sweetest of free water from here on out, wherever she could get it. Wonder what's going on in that head. Going to the food was non-negotiable to her: she was going, and if other people came that was cool too. She didn't want to chat him up and then run off to gorge herself, but people had needs.

Sliding off the stool, she was pleased to hear he was also interested in food. Honestly if such a starved looking man had told her he wasn't hungry she'd have been suspicious, not of motives but of the high potential that the person was trying to escape her presence. That didn't seem to be an issue yet, though, as he thanked them.

She turned back to look at him as they pushed through the crowd toward the patio. His tone confused her, both the wording and the delivery sounding a little incredulous but again, not insincere. Unsure if he was upset about getting lost and asking a simple favor from some fellow Lost, or if he was just incredibly suspicious of friendly strangers, Ava shrugged. "Look," she called back to him as they moved, "We're pretty much strangers too. Might as well all be strangers together, you know?" Plus, if anything happens here there are tons of witnesses. Mortals, but still. She didn't really expect this Lost to be out hunting other Lost, but it was always a possibility.

"And," she said, finally stepping outside and taking a deep breath of fresher air, "You could say you're doing something kind for me too. Haven't had a huge chance to be social recently." This was accompanied by a wry grin, as it was the closest she was going to come to admitting loneliness at the moment, or that she didn't know most of the local Fae populous. Being so new to the city and the Freehold meant few acquaintances and even fewer friends. Sure, this guy might not be 100% safe, but Jack was there and so far, he seemed okay. Perpetually pissed off, but okay. I may need to reevaluate my ability to judge character.

M
    Mavspade

Jack couldn't help but shake the words Mr.Bates had used to describe a freehold. It was different than the community she had been use to, and if she was going to be part of this place might as well try it right.

She followed along Ava through the crowd.

"Excuse me, pardon, mind where you step ass" She blinked realizing that last part had been said than in her mind.

She blushed slightly and shook her head before she stepped outside into the less hot patio but still pleasantly warm air. She took sniff of the air and smiled as the sent of the Mexican food washed into her nostrils.

Yes...please moving to the buffet table she nods in agreement with Ava words.

"Yeah strangers ...together?" She couldn't help but find that slightly amusing of a thought.

"So what do you do Ava....Jason?" She glanced at Jason extending the question to him as well as she filled her plate with tacos. She wanted to keep an eye on the predator keep him in sight. Sure his teeth weren't as scary as Ava's but he seemed like the kind who would bite if pushed the wrong way.

D
    DamoclesImpaled

OOC

"Well, I suppose it's a fair trade, then. A little social interaction is worth a taco. I guess." His voice took as joking a tone as it could. Jason found it a little strange... he felt a sense of kinship with these two. Perhaps it was the fact that all three were Beasts. Similar woes, similar fates, right? Of course, it could also just be the fact that these two had decided to feed him. It was a kindness that appealed to a person's most base needs: not starving to death. And even if he didn't totally trust people he had only just met, he could at least appreciate the fact that his stomach wouldn't be bothering him anymore.

As he looked over the available selection of foods, he couldn't help but feel his mouth water slightly. Not really noticeable to anyone but himself, but it made Jason feel a little embarrassed all the same. How long has it been since I've eaten? The fact that he even had to ask himself indicated it was probably too long. He didn't even really like Mexican food, but it still smelled delicious.

"Do? A bit vague..." And something he didn't really have an answer to. He had yet to get a job, much less find a place willing to hire him. He had hoped to find someone within the Freehold who would be willing to hire him, perhaps as a bouncer or something to that effect, but it was a just a vague idea. He had done similar work in his previous town, hunting down and intimidating those that had crossed the Summer Court, but now that he really thought about it Jason didn't have a concrete plan. "I'm mostly hoping to meet someone who needs a guy who can find other people." A vague answer for vague question. "It's what I used to do, so, why stop doing a job you've got experience in?" He said as he grabbed a couple of meaty tacos from the buffet line, following behind his two companions. The smell of beef was alluring, regardless of what kind of meal it was in. Perhaps it was stereotypical of a predator, but it wasn't as though Jason was willing to keep the habit of inhaling meat whenever he could.

S
    Saeyer

ooc

Ava watched incredulously as her two companions stood next to a buffet and only put tacos on their plates. What. Tacos were too messy for her liking anyway, and more than once the resistance of biting through the shell had caused her to bite her own lip rather fiercely. Not something she was keen to repeat, especially not in front of other people. Because nothing says charm like inadvertently biting your own face.

She took a little more time going through the food, lifting spoonfuls of salsa up so she could smell each one. Yes, the meat looked best, of course and always, but that didn't mean other flavors weren't pleasant. Lifting a soft, warm corn tortilla onto her plate she spooned a particularly chunky salsa on to part of it, dabbing guacamole onto the other side. Tortilla chips, again, were a no-go, but she'd find a way to eat most anything that smelled good enough. A little of this and a little of that made its way onto her plate and suddenly it was full of rice, beans and meat. Quite pleased, she turned her attention back to the conversation just in time to catch Jason mentioning his desire for employment.

While not entirely sure what sort of job he had just described, she nodded in agreement, scoring some plastic cutlery before looking around for a place to sit. Eating while standing was not something she could do easily. "I'm looking for a job, slowly but surely. Either no one's hiring or they're looking for a brighter smile," she said with a sardonic grin. "But other than that, not a whole lot, currently. What about you, Jack?"

Spying a small group vacating a table, she nodded toward it and began to move, slowly and with an ear turned back to hear Jack's response.

M
    Mavspade

The food spread was to hard to pick from, dashing a bit of a salad, slices of quesadilla. It proved difficult balancing a plate of food and trying to keep a hand on her Mojito but Jack was not going to abandon the drink to serve her some food. Coming to the conclusion she had to give up giving her self much more on her plate she turned to follow Ava.

She glanced at Jason as he spoke of his line of work. A Blood Hound eh? His line of work and some of hers seemed to overlap a fact Jack took note of. This caused her for amoment to reflect, a dog eh? Is that what she had been?
    However she felt no need to explain her old line of work. New beginnings and all. Than again winter courtiers were fond of keeping secrets.

Jack maneuvered around a few folks as she made her way to the table.

"I do odds and end jobs. You know how hard it is to get a solid job these days. "

She placed down her plate and drink taking a seat. The Cautious Winter courtier glancing to Dog for a moment being sure that he sat down. Taking this moment to take a drink.

"Perry uhh a lawyer around here had a gig for me" Not certain of Ava knew who Perry was and doubting Jason did either.

"I might try my hand at waiting, or something"

on second thought Waiting...ugh no thanks

D
    DamoclesImpaled

It seemed that Jason was a bit uncultured. At least, that's what he thought other people were thinking of him since all he was grabbing to eat was tacos. Look, I just want the stuff with a bit of meat in it. He thought to himself. In truth, few people really cared. Tacos were probably the most common item at the buffet and therefore would not be overly missed. Taking about five of the things, the Summer Beast took a seat alongside Ava and Jack. They were more or less his hosts, anyway.

He noticed the hare seemed to give him a look, but ignored her. If she had a problem with him, she could just say it aloud. It wasn't like Jason particularly cared if she was going to just keep looking at him. "Well, I somehow doubt that a lawyer would need my help with anything." He shrugged. "I guess I'll just have to look around a bit." He shrugged a second time before taking a bite out one of his tacos. I guess is worst comes to worst, I can just hang around the streets, living off the oh-so-fertile land. It wasn't as though Jason hadn't done so before. He had survived in L.A. for about a week before finding any other Changelings.

Having bitten into about half the taco, he took a break to broach a question. "So... where are you two staying? This fancy hotel?" It was a bit of a trick question. If the hotel was so expensive and they had no jobs, how could they be staying there? Really it was just a bit of a ham-handed attempt to get information.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.