Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Speaking of Gangs & Dragons

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

This thread follows this one

Having made some new friends, Yata led the trio of Lost out of the warehouse into the streets of West Sacramento. She led them across the street, taking a shortcut through a couple of alley ways until they finally reached a small tea house. The establishment was clearly a family-owned business, and one that had probably seen better days. Regardless, it did have a certain charm to it, reminiscent of another era altogether. As they walked into the tea house, they quickly noticed that it was mostly deserted with the exception of an old Japanese couple that seemed to run the place.

The Windwing waved to the couple along with a sweet smile, speaking to them quickly in their native tongue. "Hana is in the back," she said to the other Lost, gesturing for them to follow her. The young Beast skipped ahead, leading the group towards the backroom where her sister happened to be waiting for them. As they walked into the backroom, they noticed a pretty Asian woman that looked to be in her mid to late 20s, sitting by a table with a cup of tea in front of her. Anyone observant enough would notice that her shadow was a bit off, indicating that she was likely one of them and was simply hiding her true form.

Yata spoke to the woman in an excited tone, waving her feathery arms up and down as she gestured to the trio of Changelings with her. Just like she had done with the couple out front, the Windwing spoke in her native tongue, which the group had likely figured out by now was Japanese. In response to the avian Beast's words, the woman in black offered a simple nod before turning her attention to the other Lost. "My sister says you wish to help," she said to them, her English being obviously better than her sister's, but the accent still evident in her voice. As she shifted slightly in her seat, it was fairly clear that she was attempting to conceal a pair of small blades in her hands.

Hana - Striking Looks 2, Rigid Mask

lol
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-03-27 09:12:34 Hana rolls 8 to Dex+Larceny to conceal stuff... (10 Again) 4, 3, 6, 6, 4, 3, 7, 3 failure

K
    Kazakin

As Danny felt the clarity of the Antlion leave him, panic started to kick in. It was sharper, and more defined than ever since it was now so scarce. He had no magic left to call on - he had burnt himself dry helping out so far, and he couldn't face it. He needed back up. Smudge could-

-And Smudge had to leave. He was left cold. He was panicking. Stripes was a nice boy, but he wasn't really all that bright and the Paladin of Shadows was supposed to be responsible for him, and he wanted to help, and oh God, everything was loud and vibrant and the beating of his heart was rattling in his ears.

He hesitated from immediately following Yata into the back, and his black eyes moved to the two elderly shop owners. A nasty knot of guilt floundered up in his heart as he leant towards then. His voice sound broken and lilting, all the eloquence and focus gone.

"Y-you should t-take care. There's a l-lot of gang activity in n-nearby areas. I h-hear they've been t-targetting anyone th-they suspect of being n-non-local. I-I'd make sure m-my security s-system was w-working if I-I was you,"
    the Paladin stuttered out, practically begging for that rush of Glamour, to taste their flash of fear.

Maybe they'd lock their doors tighter and not go out. Maybe it would protect them from what might be out there, anyway. Maybe he could sleep a bit easier knowing that they'd perhaps be a fraction safer because of that.

But it still made him feel like a monster.

He burned the sickeningly sweet taste of their fear into the Forge of his Wyrd, and the crystal clarity of the Antlion stole across his mind. As his breathing settled, he didn't make eye contact, and headed towards the back immediately, leaning on his cane. With the relief of new, eerie calm, he set out to meet Hana.

"We do. My name is Danny Tongs. My friend here prefers to be known as Stripes. Is this a place we can speak openly?"
    the Smith said simply.

There was work to be done. No looking back.

Harvesting from the old couple, -1WP, -1 Glamour for Heart of the Antlion, 4 suxx to notice the knives
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-03-29 10:44:58 Danny Tongs rolls 6 to Wits 4 + Composure 2 (10 Again) 4, 9, 10, 9, 4, 9, 2 4 successes
    2013-03-28 09:23:03 Danny Tongs rolls 6 to Heart of the Antlion (10 Again) 2, 10, 1, 2, 9, 3, 5 2 successes
    2013-03-28 09:22:05 Danny Tongs rolls 4 to Manipulation 2 -2 Untrained + 1 Pledge + WP (10 Again, WillPower) 7, 8, 3, 3 1 success

Stripes just watches as Danny harvest, the tiger raising an eyebrow. Danny went from his old-stuttering self back to his calm and confident way...

Well, neither here nor there. Stripes brushes it off to ask about later. For now there's Yata's sister to speak to. Stripes notices her hardened mask as they enter, suddenly remembering that his own is now back to it usual way. Meaning that if Yata hadn't already guessed, she definitely knew now that they were changelings.

Knives? I don't see any knives.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-03-28 13:47:25 Stripes rolls 5 to perception to see the knives (Wits + Comp) (10 Again) 7, 5, 5, 7, 5 failure

As Danny introduces him, Stripes gives a quick nod.

"Nice to meet you," Stripes he says, giving a smile.

Leave it to the tiger to try and be amicable with gangsters. When Danny asks if there's somewhere private to talk he keeps his questions bottled up. They're close to bursting though, and Stripes can't help but fidget a bit. When did Hana and Yata meet Terri? Who is this 'Dragon' they're fighting? So many questions, so little time...

The Japanese woman listened to the Smith as he spoke, meeting his eyes as he introduced himself and then turning to the Hunterheart and giving him a slight nod as he was introduced. "Danny, Stripes. A pleasure to meet you as well," she said in a very straightforward tone. "This is a safe place. As long as we speak in English, the two out front won't understand." She turned her attention back to the Paladin of Shadows as she said those words. "I don't think they can hear us from over there anyway, as long as we don't yell," she added, gesturing for the two of them to take a seat around the table.

"Can I offer you all some tea?" asked Hana, exchanging a quick look with Yata so the Windwing would go fetch some cups for their guests.

K
    Kazakin

Danny nodded his understanding, and sat down carefully. He wasn't particularly bothered by the fact that Hana was armed. After all, the cane he held in his long, multi-jointed fingers concealed its own deadly little secret. Most Lost, in Danny's experience, either armed themselves or used the weapons of their Durance for protection. In a world with Privateers, Loyalists, Hobs, Gentry and of course, misguided mortals, it was only sensible.

He kept his voice low out of consideration. If the woman said it was safe, he would trust that.

"Very well. I am Queen Terri Nutkin's Paladin of Shadows. Along with my friend here, I was investigating a gang that killed a member of our Freehold. We discovered that they were at war with another gang, and broke into their warehouse to investigate, at which point we discovered Yata. She explained that you were arming the gang in order to gain allies against a Dragon. One that I understand Queen Terri has already offered you assistance with, given that she helped liberate Yata from a dream prison caused by this Dragon,"
    the Smith said simply. For all the good manipulations might do, the Freehold did not need to inadvertently end up fighting a war on two or three fronts. "I want to offer you aide in overcoming this Dragon. It seems our goals are not dissimilar at any rate - and there's some truth to the saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all."

He paused.

"And I would be delighted by some tea. Thank you."

Well Danny certainly put it succinctly. Stripes, of course, is more than happy to let Autumn's Paladin take charge since he's back to his usual calm ways...

The tiger pauses in thought, wondering when he started thinking of Danny being calm as "usual."

Giving an imperceptible shrug at the thought, Stripes lays one arm on the table. At the offer of tea he sticks his tongue out a bit. Another one of those bitter, adult drinks he doesn't have much taste for.

"Water's fine for me," he requests, making sure to keep his claws sheathed. "So... this dragon. Is it one of... Them?"

The way he stresses the word makes it clear to any Changeling that Stripes means the Gentry. Or at least he hopes it does. Hana's grasp of English seems much better than Yata's, but the tiger still can't be sure how well the meaning carries over.

"When we started this we heard rumors a True Fae was working with the gang," he explains quickly, reminding himself to keep his claws sheathed at the thought of the Gentry. "Cuz some of the gang guys might've been ensorcelled."

Stripes furrows his brow, near as he can recall he thinks that's what they had discussed during the first meeting with Queen Byeli. That felt like so long ago now he's not sure he remembers all the details that had been brought up.

1 sux to remember mentions of True Fae during the first meeting
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-03-30 09:58:34 Stripes rolls 4 to now what did we talk about? (Int + Comp) 10, 3, 7, 2 1 success

The tiger tries to remember whether he's got it right, but for a beast that's usually not easy. Somehow he wonders if he should have tried to remember this before speaking of it.

OOC

Yata retreated towards the front of the establishment for a moment, returning with a cup of tea and a glass of water for Danny and Stripes. She places them in front of them, offering a friendly smile to the pair before taking a step back and standing behind her sister.

Meanwhile, Hana listened to Danny as he spoke of what they knew, and how they had come in contact with her younger sister. She nodded slightly as the Wizened spoke of Terri and the dragon, not saying anything on the matter until both him and the Hunterheart were done speaking. "It is true, that Terri and some associates of hers aided me in rescuing Yata from her dreams. It is also true that this dragon, who we call Orochi, was responsible for trapping my sister there. However, it was I that offered your Queen assistance in dealing with him, since Orochi has decided to make Sacramento his new home," she said in response to Danny, pausing to take a sip from her tea, at which point she laid one of the knives on the table. Perhaps it was a sign that she was slowly beginning to trust them, or maybe she just needed to put it down in order to reach for the cup.

"Our involvement with this gang serves more than one purpose. We do have a deal with them, in which we provide them with what they need to win this war of theirs, and in return they will aid us in disposing of Orochi. I am fully aware that your Freehold has many capable members who are willing to fight this threat, but from my last meeting with Terri and the Summer King of your Freehold, it was also clear that they preferred not to put so many at risk," explained Hana, taking another sip of tea before setting the cup down next to the blade. "I plan to keep my word, for I told Terri that I will aid her in the battle against the dragon. For this purpose, I plan to provide her with an army." With those words, she met the eyes of the Paladin of Shadows with her own gaze, holding it for a moment before breaking away to look at Stripes.

"To answer your question, the rumors are that Orochi may in fact be one of the Gentry. That said, it is a bit difficult to confirm such rumors," she said to the Hunterheart in a perfectly calm and neutral tone. "He is not working with the other gang however, that is an entirely different problem." With those words, Hana paused once more as she reached for her cup and took another sip from her tea.

K
    Kazakin

The Smith's cellphone bleeped loudly, and he glanced down at it momentarily, quickly tapping a response, before turning it off.

"My apologies. Another compatriot of mine, also investigating the group,"
    Danny explained, before sipping the tea. It was generally, after all, not considered polite or good business practice to poison a man in a tea house. He would take that risk, because it was small. There were others that would not be considered.

"I see. You intend to use this gang as foot soldiers in an assault against this Dragon," t
    he Smith said succinctly. He wasn't entirely sure if even that much hardware would take down one of the Gentry, but there was something about the idea of trying to fill one full of bullets that was somewhat satisfying. Overkill... nothing was overkill for one of Them. Only magic could truly be effective, of course... but there was something, still, to be said for war.

"Therefore you need every advantage in winning this battle. Perhaps I can assist you there... it would, after all, be to our mutual benefit. If you would be willing to provide us with details of the people who aide this gang."

Stripes heard his phone as well, wondering who could be texting. Ignoring his water as well as Yata and Hana, he pulls it out.

Marcus?

Stripes bit down on his lip and starts carefully pressing out a reply with his claws. Regrettably texting isn't always as easy a feat as he'd like with his personal weapons. Sheathed and his digits were a bit too thick for the buttons, like a cats. Unsheathed and he tended to leave unsightly scratches on his beat up cell phone.

As such, he's a bit preoccupied suddenly with punching out his message as Danny and Hana talk. If it were anyone other than Stripes, they might realize how rude that seems.

Hana nodded at Danny's apology, not really bothered by the fact that he had checked his phone. "Yes, that is exactly what I intend on doing," she said in response to the Wizened's comment, taking another sip from her tea. "The individuals aiding the other gang are like you and I, Lost in this world." She took a brief pause, allowing for her words to sink in while she held the tea cup in one hand. "They were members of my Freehold once, but they were vanished for their indiscretions. They claim to be honorable like my people, but they are not," she explained, taking another sip from her cup before setting it down on the table.

"They have lost their way, and their banishment from San Francisco has caused them to be vindictive," said Hana, looking into the Smith's eyes. "I believe they found out about my plan, and have chosen to support the other gang as a way of waging war against me. Like I said, they claim to be honorable but they are not. If they were, they would simply come out and challenge me directly." The Japanese woman paused once again, glancing at Stripes for a moment but choosing to ignore the Hunterheart, who seemed to be all too interested on his phone. "Instead they choose to remain in the shadows and oppose me by getting involved in this conflict, while operating from the shadows. They are cowards, yet they claim allegiance to The Sword like we do...but they do not know honor."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread