the following are excerpts from journals given to the Sacramento Chapterhouse by Br. Teodor Raluca...

To understand physical implications we must look to the Cambridge Survey of Protean of 1817 and the Paris Study of 1989. These two scientific analyses provide a compelling argument that the Protean Discipline is the most fundamentally powerful of any in kindred kind.

First let us consider the 1817 Cambridge Survey of Protean. Conducted on the grounds of Cambridge University, their results show us a profound picture of the discipline. First addressed was the matter of shape-shifting. While almost anyone can guess, the weight of a kindred changes when they change form. This does however raise some interesting questions, where does the additional mass come from and where does the excess go? The popular theory was that kindred push and pull matter to and from the unseen realms and form it to their will. Conversely scholars theorized that the kindred dissipates the matter of their body or pulls in matter from around them. With the advent of the atomic and subatomic theory more credence was given to the later.

The Paris Study of 1989 employed a hyperbaric chamber to measure whether or not a kindred shape-shifting draws additional mass from the air around them. The results showed that the volume of air in the chamber did not change when the kindred shape-changed, only it's distribution. Proponents of the metaphysical answer have hailed this as conclusive evidence concerning the issue. An interesting note. While I was in New York, I heard the discussion of a new theory concerning 'dark matter.' I am not entirely sure what 'Dark Matter' is, aside that it supposed to make up most of the universe and is hard to see. As I claim no great knowledge in the realm of astrophysics I will refrain from repeating anything on the subject other than dark matter has re-ignited the debate.

I will point out to the reader that despite the current acceptance of the metaphysical theory, one question does remain unanswered. When one uses Protean, is one retaining the original matter of the person's human body? One has to draw extra matter from somewhere if they are taking the form of something large like a lion or a bear. How can one be sure the matter shed after returning to human for is not from one's original human body? If the matter forming the body is not human in origin but re-purposed from the unseen realms, does that change the definition of what a kindred is?

The hyperbaric chamber experiment did report 'unaccountable' irregularities in regards to the 'Body of Spirit.' It was reported that the introduction of 'exotic gases' to the chamber, while the kindred was in mist form, triggered 'unaccountable' variations in gas distribution. Unfortunately I have only heard of the report second hand and cannot elaborate further on the topic. It has been argued that since certain elements of the material world do affect supernatural beings greater than others, it would stand to reason that this 'unaccountable variation' could occur.

Returning to the metaphysical alternation of matter solution, this does give some explanation to how Auspex can work in tandem with Protean. Ordo trained with Auspex and Protean can merge with the earth and draw in the ambient arcane resonance. Conscious sampling of the arcane resonance allows the detection of ley lines and fontal nests. This further gives credence to the metaphysical theory as it means the user essentially re-attunes their body and presence by entering the earth and opening their 'self' to the ley lines possibly run through it. Studies conducted on kindred who have slept in soil where ley lines are present have yet to prove an any measurable changes in a kindred.

I must pause and share a rather amusing antidote* on the topic of 'Body of Spirit.' I once had a conversation with an elder Gangrel while in the Court of Athens concerning an attack by hunters. He had been ambushed in his haven during the day by half a dozen heavily armed, clearly prepared hunters. To avoid their fire he used Protean to turn himself with the mist form. To his utter shock the hunters in short order produced a spray bottle of holy water and hand fans and proceeded to spray holy water into his gaseous form and vigorously fanned. Suffice to say it did not work but one must salute such preparedness and creative planning.

These materials are available to any Dragon with access to the chapterhouse occult library. Any Dragons please feel free to post any IC reactions to this entry.

Chrisie Max Heinz Tracy Burns Callum McCann Bigpaw Chase Ankers Bradley Doyle AethrDav moreau