Richard
Dicky pulls up to the entrance. The Sterling? Snazzy. He tosses his keys to the attendant and steps into the lobby. Is Michael showing up? Maybe he should check in with Lenny just in case?

Michael
Michael arrived at the Sterling Hotel. It wasn't the day of court but that day wasn't far off and Michael was there to see what type of set up would be needed. He needed to look around to see what they had and what they would need. Tables, seats, tableclothes, sound system, center pieces? Michael walked through the lobby toward the ballroom. Hopefully Lenny would come. He owned the place so Michael suspected he would have a more accurate knowledge of the hotel's inventory. Plus he had also been put in charge, along with Michael so he had better show up.
He saw Richard. As much as he wasn't too thrilled to see him and his Beast still encouraged him to fight for dominace, it was good to see he'd made good on the offer of assisting. "Hello Dicky," he called over to him.

Richard
Dicky pops to attention. His limbs sparkle for a short moment with electric hate. But you compartmentalize it, move on.

"Michael. Sup," Dicky greets him back. He saunters over. "How was the weekend?"

He looks around the lobby, an invitation for Michael to do the same.

Lenny
Lenny felt the Beasts touch at the edge of his senses, and the one within him stirred. Like a dog perking it's ears up or perhaps a cougar opening a lazy eye. He Masked his own Beast, something he had not done before so that he could establish his place in the pecking order of the city, at least to his more feral peers. Among the civilized, the Beast was a cudgel, whereas other abilities were razor edges and silent arrows of misfortune.

He saw the two Carthians, and walked over with a smile as he took a long drag on his cigarette. "I can get you two a discount rate," he offered a joke as a greeting.

Michael
He'd spent all night Saturday looking up places to get sound systems, video equipment, tableclothes, centerpieces, seat covers, music, catering for any ghouls that were brought along. All in case the hotel didn't have the supplies or a Carthian was unable to obtain it. If that turned out to be true if he was looking forward to staying up during the day so he could make phone calls to businesses that kept hours not conducive to vampiric health.
"It was busy, thanks for asking. Yours?"
He looked around as Dicky did and saw Lenny. He smiled at his approach, again not because of any true pleasure but for the sake of the position he now held.
"That's be great," he responded, continuing the little playful banter that reeked to Michael of false smiles.
"Thanks for letting the Movement use the hotel to hold court, especially on such short notice. Could you show us the ballroom?" he asked casually.

Richard
"Lenny, thanks for having us," Dicky chimes in. Oh it is so weird not to be able to sense that awful presence, but to know it's just there.

Lenny
"Hey, no problem," Lenny answered. "I'm drowning in paperwork and getting to know the staff but everything seems to be in order."

He leads the other two to the ball room. Standard fare for a four star hotel. Wood paneling, carpet, a section of wooded floor for a dancing. Several sizable chandeliers. No built-in sound system, though, and the rather blasé chairs are probably usually covered with seat covers.

"We doing a theme?" he asked, looking curiously at the other two. A touch of concern is in his features and the other two notice he's toying with a folded piece of paper.

Michael
"No," Michael says in a serious but absent tone as he looks around the room and starts to slowly make his way around to better take it in.
"The previous announcement had no theme indicated and to suddenly say there was one on such short notice would just add further stress."
Michael completed his walk around. "We'll need to rent a sound system, as well as a video and projector just in case. A small amount of catering will be needed so not as many questions will be asked." People meeting with no food would definitively seem strange to Kine "It can go to any ghouls that are brought along. And we'll need matching tablecloths"
He glanced around again.
"We can check to see if the hotel has any as well as any stock center pieces; something that won't obstruct anyone's view. A podium would be nice as well. We might be able to bring up the one the hostess uses at the dining area. Assuming it closes before eleven."

He addressed both the other vampires directly. "Can either of you think of anything else off hand?"

Lenny
"Eh actually..." Lenny holds up the paper and shows it to the the other two. It's a letter from the Prince to Jack Bennett.
http://nwod.org/forum/...ead.php?t=1672

"The Prince actually did say 'festive'," Lenny shrugs.

Yeah, Lenny ransacked Jack's Haven during the Bloodhunt for clues. Sue him.

Arnoud
Arnoud was already inside, waiting. He'd checked for the basics and, unsurprisingly, Lenny hadn't messed those up. Still, Arnoud was a man who usually checked, double-checked and triple-checked before feeling even remotely at ease.

"Good evening, gentlemen." Arnoud greets Michael and Dicky.

Michael
Michael took the letter and read it over. He didn't bother asking where Lenny had gotten it. It was safe to assume Lenny had gone through the former Prefect's documents. Probably trying to a forwarding address to point the Blood Hunt towards. Oddly enough Michael only felt anger towards Jack at being an idiot and making it look like Michael was pulling a theme out thin air.
"Festive..." he muttered to himself handing the letter over to Dicky and looking scanning the ballroom again. What the hell was that suppose to mean?
Michael didn't breath any more, so he didn't sigh naturally but that was his mental reaction and his body language conveyed that.
"Alright...," Festive. Michael was considering how to make a Victorian ballroom 'festive' when Arnoud appeared out of no where from checking something somewhere in the hall outside the ballroom. Had he been here the whole time?
"Hello, Around. I'm glad you you're here."
"We were just starting to talk about themes." He indicated the letter Dicky was holding casually "The Prince asked that it be festive."
"Any ideas?" he asked them all "Harvest festival is the first thing to come to my mind." It was easy enough to dress for on short notice and most of the decorations could be bought at a grocery or crafts store.

Arnoud
Deciding not to address the oh-so funny joke Michael had made Arnoud moved on to giving feedback on the actual content of his talk.

"The Acolytes will probably like it though it's likely to be a little too banal for the rest."
"We could consider going a tad more upbeat. Some music, actual nourishment, maybe a room for dancing..."
Arnoud found it hard to mention non-violent things the attendants would find entertaining.

Dicky
"Arnoud," Although his help is welcome now this is too many people to plan effectively. Three is ideal, four is a traffic jam. Arnoud was Prefect though, so he needed to participate at least a little in the preperation of the event he was suppose to be planning.

Whatever, they'll get by. "By the way, I gave a couple of my friends a call. They're gonna help us set up, save us some time and I'm pretty sure they can pull some sweet stage equipment and sound stuff out of their ass. It might cost a little, but it'll be choice."

"I guess the Harvest whatever could work... but I think we can't phone this one in, we've really gotta impress the old guard. You know, maybe I was thinking we could start by booking a dance troupe for a short performance, something cultural or tribal.
" He shrugs. "We also need to give everyone a chance to mingle and be snobby as they arrive, like a red carpet thing, maybe some Ghouls or hotties on display just for looks."

"While we're at it I think we should all greet guests personally to get some facetime, start thinking about alternative seating arrangements town hall style, and you know what I was kind of thinking? We make the whole thing be partway a benefit for something. Maybe schools, or libraries, or a local hospital or something."
Wow, that's a lot to say. He checks quick to see if he's still on the same page as everyone.

Lenny

Jesus Christ these neonates were going to get themselves killed.

"A benefit Richard? Don't be absurd. This is the Prince's Court." Lenny paused, simply aghast at what imbeciles these younglings were. How to phrase it politely took some thought though.

"This is the first impression the Carthian Movement will make on the city, and on the Prince and his Court. Jack was a fool for not asking Twist for assistance and now there is no time. We need music, and there should be dancing. Court will be Elysium, and by Law of Elysia guests should arrive fed," he continued to summarize.

"Richard, you get the sound equipment. I'll coordinate the ballroom setup, and Arnoud will walk around smiling and acting confident. What we need is to find out themes of previous Courts, or take a gamble and pick one. Something decadent. Something that lets the city know the Carthians aren't a ragtag group of picket liners. Heaven and Hell. Vienna-style Masquerade. Things like this."

Lenny looked expectantly at Michael.

Time to make a decision, kiddo.

Michael

Michael's face was more than usually serious and he was silent for a short time.
"We'll go with a more upscale theme." It would be harder to pull off, but Michael hadn't expected planning Court to be easy. In fact he had so far expected it to be worse. At least there were three people to help him with the set up. Apprently though Lenny wanted him to chose though, probably to take the blame if things went wrong but it gave him leave to be bold with instructions.
"Masquerade."
"Lenny, you'll be responsible for decorations, table and seating arrangment, and such.
"Dicky, get in contact about renting the sound system. Make sure to have them talk to Lenny so he has a general idea of where stuff will go for his floor plan. Have them arrive early to set up and since there are no Kine allowed at Court, see if you can't talk to Lezlie too. See if she knows how to work with that equipment."
It was a sterotype, but Lezlie had that punk rocker look about her so it couldn't hurt to ask. Plus it would help a little with her not going around saying she was a liar every time she got introduced if she was managing the sound.
"I'll get a music selection and playlist, party favors and masks since this is probably going to come as a suprise to most of the Kindred. Lenny, let me know your ideas for decorations so that if I see anything while looking, I can get it for you."
"Dicky, I want you to see about video equipment. I'm not sure if we'll need it, but just in case coordinate with Lenny on set up."
Michael had thought about giving that assignment to the Prefect but that was a little out of place since he had given the planning over to them and Michael wasn't in the mood for politics after the meeting.
"Since this is on such short notice, arrive early so we have plenty of time to set up and make sure everything goes well. Say around 9:00. That will give us plenty of time. We'll open the ballroom at 10:30 for the early comers and to allow socializing before hand. Court starts at eleven sharp. How long it continues will depend on the Prince. We'll have the dancing and festivities afterwards and go until around one thirty. Everyone should hopefully be gone by two and then we'll clean up."
"Any questions?"

Lenny

Yes, yes, they were still in danger of dying the Final Death. The biggest problem with neonates is that they still thought like Kine. Lenny rubbed his temples. He wasn't sure when he signed on to be a wet nurse and for just a tiny moment considered the Au Pair position of the Invictus.

"Vienna Masquerade; got it. We better damn well let the Prince and his Court, and Clan and Covenant leaders know, personally, since we're changing slash adding a theme. Not apprising them of the theme would be an unspeakable insult. We also need ghouls, and security. The Prefect will be considered Keeper of Elysium and if he doesn't enforce the Laws of Elysia or allows danger to threaten a member of Court..." Lenny trailed off.

Lenny looked from Michael to Arnoud. If anyone was fit to handle that portion of logistics it would be him.

Dicky
Uh huh. Masquerade ball? I'm sure the Prince has never seen one of those before. Hasn't Lenny been to benefits before? What could be more urbane, more decadent than the top rung of society throwing money away 'for a good cause'? Plus, what a great way to win over the city's Kine leadership.

This is the Carthian's big chance to put their fingerprint on a major City event, and they'll squander it on an homage to a class of nobility swept away centuries ago?

"Really you guys. Are we planning on boring the Prince to death? And what use is a sound system at a Masquerade ball? We would need live instruments. Do you have a ghoul orchestra on hand?"

Dicky looks at Lenny like he's lost his mind.

"If the Prince didn't expect the Covenants to put a unique and interesting spin on his Courts, he wouldn't farm them out to us he'd have his own Court committee and collect tithes or some bull. This is our chance to distinguish ourselves, why are we settling for cliche?"

"Michael, we need something just a little bit radical here. Even if it's simply that we provide the masks and they're themed or something. But SOMETHING has to be unique or hell, Carthian in some way."

Lenny

"The Prince has asked us to host Court, and you seriously want to turn it into a fund raiser for Kine." Lenny said. It wasn't a question, but a statement of wonder.

"Pray tell, Richard, how would the Prince address issues like Masquerade Breaches or announcements of new positions, or adjustments to subinfeudation with a room full of Kine?" Lenny did ask that question. With a hint of fang, no less.

"You're much less intelligent than I thought, Childe."

Michael

"The fact is Dicky, that we don't have the time. We don't have the public face. Our last Prefect was caught breaking the laws of this Domain. We need to show the Movement isn't going to break traditions and laws 'just because'. A Masquerade is a good choice. It shows we are willing to up hold the just laws of our kind simply by its name, it's decadent, comes from a Catholic tradition of Carnival, which in turn came from a pagan one, was celebrated by common and noble alike, and in that sense has an aspect of rank and class not being stripped away during it. It may have been used before but that assures that least some of the other Kindred will have costumes and not have to rush around to buy entirely new outfits. The fact that most Kindred died in the Lost Nights means that all the new Kindred attending won't remember having done this theme, at least in this Domain.

"Now, there are a thousand and one reasons in either direction for or against any theme but we've decided ours now so try to keep your comments positive and offer suggestions for improvement. Focus more on distinguishing ourselves by pulling this off well rather than with gimmicks. OK?"

"Lenny, I'd ask that you also try to keep your comments positive as well. The Movement needs to be strong and we can't do if we're trading insults when we don't agree with each other's ideas." He said it casually but somehow held a serious note that means he didn't want it to be argued over. "Let it go. Both of you." The short silence wasn't there so they could respond or agrue with what he had just said.

"Thanks."
Michael's little venting had calmed him a little.

"Now, I'll keep your concerns in mind when, as I've already said, I'll purchase masks to provide for guests but I need to talk to Lenny first about what he plans to do with decorations by way of theme."

"We'll keep the music to be played from the sound system, since an orchestra wouldn't have time to practice enough before the Court. I'll look around for a troupe that plays often for these type of events though and if I find one that fits our needs I'll submit a request for them to be ghouled. In any case we'll still need the system for court announcements."

"Arnoud,
keep Lenny and me aware of what you're doing. And make sure the official announcments are made. I'll speak with Taylor to see if she has any ghouls she can lend. If there are any on the hotel staff, they'd be helpful as well." He said turning to Lenny.

Dicky
Exactly, we don't have time... how do you set up a ball on short- ah, whatever. It's Michael's show now. God, Dicky hopes Michael was joking about submitting a request for ghouling a musical troupe for one party. At least he's sane, unlike their Myrmidon. When did Dicky ever suggest Kine would be there, and how does Lenny come up with these assumptions?

The history lesson leaves Dicky informed but unconvinced. What could have been more telling of the sharp class divide of the time than the costumes worn by the rich and the poor? Think, man.

"Sure. Suggestions for improvement? Don't buy anything yourself. Find a professional event consultant, they plan the shit out of this thing, short notice. Maybe Lenny knows what he's doing, but don't micromanage this one. Farm it out or else it'll end up looking like a church social. You find somebody, I'll put my guys in touch with them."

Dicky looks around.

"Call me if you need anything." He looks for an opportunity to leave.

Lenny

Lenny turned back to Michael, dismissing the idiotic neonate.

"I just bought the hotel recently we'll have to treat this with kid gloves," Lenny said. "I don't have any ghouls. Right now, I'll put what people I can on decorations. Probably something like wall-to-wall blue velvet drapes with fans to make thm ripple like water, and plywood silhouettes of the Venetian skyline. Maybe construct a canal bridge for the Court officials," Lenny said, shooting from the hip.

Michael

Michael could sense Dicky wanted to leave and the situation was in danger of esculating if he wasn't allowed to.
"Dicky, thanks for coming and offering your help. I know it's going to take some effort and you seem anxious to start. I'll be in contact."
He waited for him to leave before he kept going as if it hadn't happened. The topic was to be dropped.
"Now for decorations, that sounds good. We want to make sure it has a festive feel though so don't make things too dark. Maybe have bits of reflective material on the drapes to act as stars."

They spent sometime talking some more about arrangements, table positions, centerpieces and seeig what the hotel had in stock for events. Once Michael and Arnoud had a good idea of what Lenny had in mind and had given imput, they went their seperate ways. There was still a lot to do.