Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Dealin' with Dirt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

Heathcliff actually had to speak with Mr. Domenic Greevey on the phone to set up an appointment time, eight o'clock, and for once the Nosferatu had the great pleasure of speaking with someone who's voice was nearly as offensive as his own.

He arrives by taxi, whose driver had agreed to take Mr. Staley to the low-rent district where the man peddles his neglected apartments for the generous gratuity of twenty dollars past fare. The man rented mostly to poor immigrants, who don't complain, at least not the illegal ones. The full spectrum of Sacramento's working poor find their way here, however, and it's the legal minority that has generated the manila folder stuffed with pink and yellow carbon copies he held in his hand. And he was here to strike a deal with the bastard.

But, after all, Heathcliff told himself as the cab sped away, I got at least a hundred more active files like this. All I'm doing is shuffling this one to the bottom of the pile. People will still be heard, still be helped, in the typically slow bureaucratic fashion, of course. Just not the people renting from Mr. Greevey. And, of course, I'll keep an eye on him, to see he doesn't become too lackadaisical in his maintenance.

He adjusts his navy blue tie, looks for any stray hairs or strings upon his dull grey jacket, and touches his hand to the Shadowed bottle of mace in his right pocket, which he had bought the day before, since you could never be too careful in a neighborhood like this. Then he walks up the entrance, passing the few people sitting on the porch with a polite "Hello." They stared back, no response, uncertain if he was five-o or not. He enters the building and finds the apartment Greevey had wanted to meet him at. He knocks on the door and waits.

"Yah, just a minute," Heathcliff hears yelled from within, over the sound of a television. The TV is turned down, then Heath hears a heavy footfall approach the door. Heath hears multiple locks being unlocked, and he notes that Greevey's door is much more sturdy than that of the other units in the building.

The door finally opens, and Heathcliff is greeted by the unpleasant face of Domenic Greevey. Greevey is about the same height as Heathcliff, but about 100 lbs heavier, with big, thick arms, wide shoulders and a bulging belly. He's balding, and the attempt at a comb-over achieves little except to highlight the little hair the man has left. He has a wide, hooked nose, a weak chin and thick beard stubble, with small, muddy-brown eyes and thick lips. He's dressed in a wife-beater, stained slacks and flip-flops and is holding a can of cheap beer.

"Hey, c'mon in," Greevey says, smiling, showing his chipped and stained teeth. "Want a beer?"

Well, they say you can't reliably tell what a person looks like from their voice over the phone, but this...was exactly what Heathcliff was expecting. He gives Domenic a small smile as he enters. "Thank you, Mr. Greevey," the Nosferatu says. "Sure, I'll take one." He's got no intention of actually wasting Vitae to consume a cheap beer with this guy, but he's happy to accept the man's hospitality and leave it opened and whole while they start talking business. Heathcliff appraises the apartment while he waits for the slob to lock up and fetch his beverage.

Greevey shuts the door behind Heathcliff but doesn't lock it. "C'mon, let's go to my office," he says, pointing to the kitchen, where Heath sees a lot of envelopes and stacks of paper piled up on the table, along with a lot of empty beer cans.

Greevey goes to the fridge and grabs a beer - from what Heath can see, cans of beer is most of what is in his fridge - and brings it to Heathcliff. "Have a seat," he says, pointing to one kitchen chair and sitting in another.

"Thanks," the Nosferatu croaks as he takes the beer and the 'office' seat indicated. The envelopes especially trigger his imagination down a certain, green path, but he has more important business just now. He taps the can open with a loud hiss and smiles across the table at his potential partner.

"Mr. Greevey, have you seen these?" he asks as he pushes the manila envelope across to him. "You have many complaints here, sir. Grounds for termination from the S-H-A program, and the city money that brings in, as well as not inconsiderable legal consequences. Following an investigation to confirm them, of course."

The civil servant's small, lopsided smile is unwavering as he continues, "Which could be scheduled at your convenience, Mr. Greevey. Say, March, two thousand fourteen. Would this appeal to you?"

It's all he can do to keep his fangs in.

Greevey gets a very defensive look at first, when the complaints are mentioned, but at Heathcliff's suggestion of scheduling the investigation, he seems to relax.

"Yeah, I think I'd like that," he says, nodding. "That'd give me time to get ready. I'm a real busy guy, y'know?"

He looks like he's on the verge of saying more, but then shuts his mouth and waits to hear the other part of Heathcliff's offer.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

"Excellent," Heathcliff responds, nodding in turn. "All I require from you, then, Mr. Greevey, is one of your vacancies, and your discretion, of course. And a door like the one to this apartment. I would like a tour, if it's not too much trouble." Just then, Heathcliff's phone starts ringing.

"These damn things," he says with a smile and a shake of his head as he rejects the call. "Please excuse me just a moment." He then sends a text to the person who just called him, then puts his phone away and returns his attention to the slovenly landlord. "So, do we have an agreement?"

Heathcliff looks into the man's eyes. He's utterly untrustworthy. The Church would say he is a sinner, worthy of punishment, and a chance at redemption. Also, importantly, the Prince would have the Seneschal's head on a pike if he conducted Kindred business here without the man's unwavering loyalty. Regrettably, the Nosferatu sends Vitae to strengthen his muscles. He plans to trick the man into looking into some corner of a room on the tour, spraying the mace in his face, then locking him into the Kiss, weakening him for his ascent to ghouldom.

Heathcliff could use a daytime assistant, anyway. He tells himself over and over, if anyone deserves it, he does. Hell, he deserves it more than I did. How many families is he hurting, right now, by doing nothing? The reasoning is hollow, but he keeps right on telling himself, in the hopes that he'll believe it in the next few minutes.

After a moment, Greevey smiles and nods. "I can do that. I even got just the place. I have a vacancy here in this building, third floor."

He stands, agreeing to Heathcliff's suggestion of a tour.

"Wonderful. I look forward to our partnership, Mr. Greevey. Lead on," he says magnanimously. C'mon, old boy. You can do this. He waits to fall into step behind Domenic.

Greevey leads Heath upstairs. Heath notices that people in the halls turn away or go back into their apartments when they see Greevey... or maybe they're reacting to Heath. Hard to tell.

"I been fixing this one up some, since it was vacant. New paint, ev'rything." He takes out a key and unlocks the door, swinging it wide. "Give it a look."

The apartment is a corner one, with more exterior windows than most. It is freshly painted, and it does look less grungy than Heathcliff had expected, and the carpeting looks fairly new. No furnishings, but that might be a plus, given the sort of quality Greevey would likely foist off as apartment furnishings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread