Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

Erika stood, and made her way to the front.

She'd purposely kept her role hidden, even with her seat choice, to avoid dealing with favor currying. Without preamble, she addressed the contestants, every now and then turning to include the audience.

"These debates will begin with an opening statement by the challenged. The challenger may then make their own, as well as offer rebuttal. One ore rebuttal by each will be allowed, then two more questions by audience members which I select, and then a closing statement," she said in a dry, clinical manner.

"His Majesty's questions excluded from the total, of course,"
    Erika added with a nod to the Prince.

The redhead held out a hand to the podiums.

"Mr. Albert Sawyer , as the challenged, you may begin."

Feel free to debate via full roleplay, but be aware that Social Combat rules are in effect. More information is here. Please also feel free to ask questions about modifiers, etc.

S
    Savnok

Upon hearing he was to give the opening statement, pessimisstic thoughts nearly overwhelmed him, Greeeaaat. First strike against the Prince's Favored. Let the blood bath begin. Taking a moment to breathe for the first time in perhaps months, it was his way silencing the negativity that was festering in his mind.

He believed he needed to appeal to their emotions as dead as those emotions may be. Their minds still retained the selfishness encoded in every human being's DNA. If anything, the Embrace would only amplify this factor. He gave his statement, short and direct to the point.

"My plan is simple. Feeding rights and tenancy would not be restricted to any Clan or Covenant. The cost would which would be purely monetary a meager one thousand dollars per month. Given our the benefit of living for many lifetimes, this is easily within one's means as we age. For the downtrodden Kindred facing financial hardship, I would be more than happy to arrange a meeting to discuss possible avenues of payment. Should a conflict arise between two or more parties, I would act as arbitrator of the dispute whereby a resolution would be met through negotiations. Peaceful existence and affordable rights are what I would provide for my fellow Kindred."

That was it. As Hans had said, if he lost it was of no great significance as he was still the newcomer in the grand scheme of things.

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Auspex 1 (Unflinching Eye)
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

City : 2
    Ordo: 3
    Mekhet: 1

PRE

As Erika takes the stage and outlines the rules of the debate, Max bows his head respectfully. "Regent Brady..." He says softly, then turns his attention to Albert for the opening shot of the contest.

He was a little surprised at the pause to take a breath before the man started; Max had dismissed his Blush once his feet hit the floor of the Court. Ah well, it was Albert's choice to make. He listens intently as the other Kindred outlines his plan for the domain; repressing the urge to smile at the mention of money. The plan sounded positively Invictus.

Once Albert was finished, it was Max's turn to speak. "Good evening, everyone. My plan for the Regency of Florin is also uncomplicated.

I would place the Regency into the private use of the Ordo Dracul. As a scientifically, rather than politically, motivated Covenant; a member of our Order must split their attention between the academic pursuits of research and the nightly necessities of feeding. By allowing the Ordo Dracul the private use of the Domain of Florin, it would allow our Order the chance to remain focused on our academic pursuits while lessening the acute pangs of hunger that can distract even the most determined among our kind.

It would also have the dual benefits of decreasing pressure on the other Regencies to provide for the city while at the same time increasing the number of Kindred that seek to make their home within the other Regencies. Unless my counts are off, the Ordo Dracul is the second largest Covenant in the city, meaning that a sizable number of the city's Kindred would have a place to hunt outside of those so graciously provided by His Grace to all recognized Kindred. While at the same time, those outside the Order would seek the favor of the other Regents; thereby increasing their own influence.

Now, Mr Sawyer, your plan to open the Regency to all is certainly a very... egalitarian proposal; but I do have a concern with it. The price you propose is a good sum of money, age of the Kindred involved aside. Have you given any thought to just how the money trail will be dealt with? Certainly, the monthly transfer of sums approaching the amount of a house payment will eventually draw the attention of interested Kine. Unless, of course, you insist on Cash Up Front, which raises it own concerns..."

Max keeps his tone even and formal; rather like addressing an audience at a formal Symposium. There was no emotion in his voice, just the calm tenor of logic and reason. He had taken a small shot at Albert's argument, while leaving some of his own open for the other man to debate. Now he just had to wait to see if Albert would see them...

I'll assume that since neither character has a dice roll that we're leaving this to full RP. Feel free to continue!

S
    Savnok

Albert was duly impressed by Max's proposal, Damn. He's good. he thought to himself.

In thinking of a response, he recognized the futility in his situation. As an Unbound, he owed no favors to a political party and the only person he knew was rooting for him was Hans. Heinz had a whole covenant backing him. Therein lay his realization and an idea sprung forth.

Closing his eyes for just a second longer than necessary, he spoke with professional tone, "Well, Mister Heinz, your mind is as sharp a knife's edge, as evidenced by your brilliant proposition and rebuttal. I too see the value in narrowing one's market segment in order to achieve greater results. I will respond to your point first."

Rather than openly propose bribery was the best path to prosperity, Albert thought it best to articulate it into the concerns of his Kindred.

"Yes, it could potentially raise the curiosity of Kine down the road. Unfortunately, as our condition requires us, we must ensure our secrecy for the good of all of us. This can achieved through effective use of the banking system, and taking advantage of the inefficiencies of government and corporations. If need the so arises, placing the proper staff in the positions to protect our clandestine nature would be used. Our activity could remain unseen for years, even decades, giving us ample time to develop a fail-safe to have the wealth simply vanish from the Kine's radar and derail their interest."

He paused before commencing with his reply to Heinz's point.

"Now in regards to your plan I genuinely applaude your idea. My concern is the disparate impact that could potentially be wrought upon the other regencies. This exclusivity could lead to the other regencies to becoming overwhelmed by the sudden lock-out of non-Ordo Dracul members, unless it is phased in over time. There is the possibility their reaction would be to prohibit known members of the Order and deny rights in retaliation."

His only concern now was how well that would be received.

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Auspex 1 (Unflinching Eye)
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

City : 2
    Ordo: 3
    Mekhet: 1

PRE

Max nods his head in simple acknowledgement of Albert's compliment. He wasn't usually one for flowery words, instead listening intently to Albert's response.
    He chuckles a little as the man talks about ensuring the secrecy of his actions. It was a friendly sound, usually reserved for when a friend tells you a dirty joke you really should laugh at.

"Yes, Mr Saywer; I didn't think your first act as Regent would be to toss the Masquerade away. I suppose you just have more... trust in the government and banks than I do. Hell, I can't even trust my bank to put my direct deposit in on the right day..." He lets the topic drift away without further comment, instead focusing on the man's second point.

"And yes, you are correct; theoretically there could be a rush on the other Regencies, and theoretically the other Regents could close their areas to those of the Ordo Dracul.

Also theoretically, with a large enough pair of wings and an engine strapped to my back, I could fly. But I don't think I'll be taking any leaps off of a tall building any time soon either..."

There's a hint of a playful smile on Max's lips as he delivers the last line. Sometimes a little humor can go a long way; and he didn't want Albert to think he was talking down to him. He was simply addressing the man's questions in his usual playful manner.

"We can talk about theory all we want, Mr Sawyer, but in reality, I do not see that as a likely possibility. First, by turning the area over to the Ordo Dracul, I would be providing roughly 20% of the city's population with recompense-free feeding. While I cannot guess to the number of Kindred that have made deals with the other two Regents for feeding rights, I would assume that number would be in line with their own arrangements. Therefore, it should place no more nor no less stress on them then if the Regency was opened to all Kindred of the city.

The other reason against making members of the Ordo Dracul persona non grata in the other Regencies is it would be bad for Family politics. Currently, the Ordo Dracul claims at least one member from each Clan, excepting the Nosferatu. And the only Nosferatu I know of within the city seems to have his affairs well in hand..."
    Max doesn't have to look to Culler to know the mountain of a man is there; he instead turns to Erica and bows his head, signalling he was done and ready to proceed to the open questions part of the debate.

Presence
    (Occam's Razor)
    Striking Looks
    (Red Hair, Green Eyes)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Erika Brady

PRE

Erika steps forward at Max's nod.

"Now that Mr. Sawyer has outlined his plans for subscription Hunting, and the Grand Wyrm for a Regency for Dragons, we'll take questions."

Post questions in a spoiler; if there's an overflow (over the limit of 2 questions per contestant) then Erika will cherry pick. The window to ask questions will be the standard 48 hours.

Catherine Keyes

PRE

question

S
    Savnok

Albert looked to the unfamiliar Kindred. Another one he could not get a read on. He was noticing a pattern here. There was a means to concealing the Beast. It looked to be a worthwhile investment.

“Thank you for your question. As I said, options are available. The funding “pool,” if you will, is an avenue for those with the income and wish to simply pay it off without worry. For those who may experience hardship, I would be willing to engage in a barter system on a case-by-case basis. If this answers your question of examples, I recognize that there are those with talents out there which myself and others could benefit from and that would be the foundation of the agreement.”

“If the individual’s talents do not cater to my interests then I would happily in effect hire the Kindred to work on my behalf. The employee would not need to pay to for the subscription while working for me. The contracted Kindred could then ply her skills in mentoring others in exchange for payment or simply providing assistance that would benefit the Domain. Should she wish to become a customer, that would not be an issue."

"Just like in our past our current lives, deals can be negotiated. For those who have difficulty, we can reach mutually beneficial agreements. In doing so, all of us can achieve much greater prosperity in our respective Requiems.”

Presence ••
    Blood Potency ••••
    Domain Status •• (Respected)
    Gangrel Status •• (Respected)
    Dog

PRE

"Yurgh."

The sound came from Dog, who was apparently digging something out from between a fang and another tooth. Whatever it was, was rolled between thumb and forefinger and disappeared when he waved at Sawyer.

"So yer just sayin' that like any other Regent, you want something fer anyone what wants to be Huntin'. And anyone can, iffin' they have the scratch. Or favors."

He was pretty sure that's what the man said. He was still trying to figure out why it took so many words for the one guy to say he wanted money, and the other guy to say he just wanted Dragons.

As far as he was concerned, it seemed a lot easier to mug someone for what was in their vein as for what was in their wallet to go buy Blood with.

After all, it might take five or six bodies to beat a thousand dollars out of. It only took one to slake a thirst.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread