Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Learn More At Your Local Library

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

PRE

It was a nice day, so rather than drive Joshua decided to walk around downtown. He thought about the city as he walked--so much was concentrated in such a small area. His current destination, for example, just happened to be nearly equidistant from both the Goldman Museum and the Wells Fargo Center, where the Deacon had his office. During his walk he passed the Westfield Shoppingtown that had been the location of his first meeting with a Sacramento cabal--the Neidan, back when they had been complete.
    Joshua finally reached his destination. If he walked just two more blocks he would be at the Hostel HI, where he had first fought beside Animus, met Zero, and seen the mysterious red-biked Seer. And of course, the place where Calligan Wellmer had been murdered.
    But Joshua didn't walk to the Hostel; instead, he went up the little path to the door of the I Street branch of the Sacramento Library.
    The Sentinel didn't bother checking any of the computer databases, instead heading straight for the shelves with the confidence of someone who is familiar with Mr. Dewey's shelving system. He pulled texts from the areas he wanted and carried them to an out-of-the-way table in a corner. He settled in, ready for a couple of hours of reading.

R
    Redinski

Errant enters the library and makes a beeline for the reference section. After a few minutes spent skimming the aisles, he tucks a copy of 'Home Buying for Dummies' under his arm. He continues to search.

PRE

"Excuse me," someone says, and Joshua passes by Errant in the narrow aisle. He moves past Errant, scanning the shelves--glancing at the numbers on the books' spines--but doesn't seem to find what he's looking for. He moves over into the next aisle, and after a few moments there's the sound of books being pulled from the shelves. There's silence, then a quiet sound--like someone 'tsk'-ing in disappointment, or perhaps sighing.
    After that, Errant feels the unmistakable pull of magic from that other aisle.

Spell

R
    Redinski

Errant looks up, slightly surprised. He begins to ready a protection spell(mentally chiding himself for not having it up beforehand) before stopping himself. The other mage might not know he was a mage himself. If the other was unfriendly, this would be for the best, and casting would ruin that. If not, it would behoove him to introduce himself. After a moment's hesitation, he attempts the spell as he walks around the aisle. The risk could be worth it, and a Banisher couldn't do anything in a place so public... right?

He freezes as the spell fails, leaving him within view of the other mage and vulnerable.

Oh, shit.

"Hi there," he begins.
    Spellcasting

PRE

Joshua glances up, a bit shame-faced, as though being caught in the midst of some unsavory act. He has several books stacked for perusal on the shelf; in his hands is another one, titled "Ballistics and Ammo, 3rd Edition."
    He doesn't say anything for a moment. Joshua doesn't recognize the guy, but having him show up so soon after the spell is pretty indicative. What the hell, he thinks. He'll start with something fairly innocuous: the truth. If the guy is a mage then he'll know what Joshua means; if not, the Sentinel can pass it off as a misunderstanding and move from there.
    "Binding was a little loose," he says to Errant, as though that should explain everything.

R
    Redinski

Well, that is the last thing I'd expect to hear from a Banisher.
    "And you just had to fix it?" Errant smiles wryly. "I dunno, seems like somebody would notice something like that. Not to judge, just saying I wouldn't do it. But hey, whatever floats your boat."

He glances towards the book, which screams 'Arrow' to him. "So, you do... things."

PRE

Well, that answers that question. At least he's in the know. At least a little.
    "I'd rather fix it now than have all the pages fall out while walking back to my table," he says, amiably enough, while putting it with the other books. He's still for a moment, then puts a hand out. "Joshua Morris. Haven't seen you about--guessing your kind of new in town?"

R
    Redinski

Was that his real name? No, nobody would do that...

"Errant. Been here for a month or so. I take it you've been here longer?"

PRE

Joshua shrugs, "A few months." He picks up his books and gestures towards the rear of the library. "Let's head on back," he says, voice a little low. "I've got a table back there, less chance of anyone eavesdropping." He doesn't wait for a response, instead turning and going on his way.

R
    Redinski

Errant shrugs and follows.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread