Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Getting Legal Help for Maggie

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Perry diCarto

"Yes, ma'am, that's quite right," Perry confirmed pleasantly when Betony mentioned her understanding of what his involvement was. This was a legal and magical conundrum, but together, he was certain they could figure it out. The Shadowsoul was sure of it.

As Stripes clarified more about the reason for their call, diCarto decided to open. "Yes, that's correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand from what Stripes has told me that you guys would like to have Maggie be privately adopted," he said. "I thought it would be wise to get in touch with you to get a bit more information." Perry wasn't one to fling around the word 'powers', but he definately felt that the special traits of a potential adoptee from the Hedge might be relevant to the question of safely adopting them out.

There was a long moment of silence, as the Ogress on the other end collected her thoughts. Discussing Maggie's abilities so freely over the phone just didn't sit well with her, a feeling that the Hunterheart clearly didn't share. "That is correct Mr. diCarto," said Betony after the long pause. "It would be best to arrange a private adoption, and certainly more beneficial to the girl if things are handled that way." The Witch paused once more before adding, "throwing her back into the system is not an option."

Perry diCarto

The Shadowsoul nodded, although he knew Betony Rue couldn't see it. "I agree, and I think we can do it. But we need to clear up a couple of things first so that her identity is intact for all of this... and that might require you to take a legal risk." He paused and collected himself, preparing to explain the legalities in a simple, straightforward way. Identity was very, very important - living on a fake ID, even a great one, limited one's life choices. A child deserved better than that.

"In terms of the legalities, the difficulty that we will have to face is that the police are still actively searching for her." He paused for a sip of water, then resumed speaking at a reasonable pace. "We will need to make some cover for her to secure her identity. The police will have some questions for her about who kidnapped her. She'll need to not say much when asked - which isn't uncommon for kids taken young, so the police will probably accept it. But one thing she'll need to remember is escaping and finding her way to you, so that the police don't look at you as a suspect." He wondered if Betony Rue Jasons has considered the likelihood that she would have to take some risks if she wanted to truly give this child her life back. Perry suspected that the Witch of the Bitter Winds had - it would be easy to just put the girl on the street and have her walk to the nearest orphanage and reappear in the system. The cops wouldn't believe a story about a magical Fleshmarket.

"That's the tough part, legally. The rest is simple paperwork to have you or someone you designate act as her foster guardian until we get a private adoption."

He paused again, giving it time to digest.

Stripes remains silent, waiting for Betony's response. This is exactly the sort of thing he'd come to Perry for. Now the tiger feels comfortable letting him handle it unless anyone has questions for him.

The beast takes another sip of water to calm his nerves. At the very least, Betony hasn't chided him for doing something stupid. So far, things were looking up.

The Autumn Witch listened as the Fairest lawyer spoke about the case, and made suggestions as to how they could proceed going forward. Once Perry finished speaking, there was a moment of silence as the Ogress collected her thoughts. "So when you speak of a legal risk, what exactly are you talking about Me. diCarto?" asked Betony, curious as to what the Shadowsoul would say. "I want to get the child to a good home, but signing legal papers is not much of an option for me." She took another pause, considering all of what Perry had told her about the process they would need to follow in order to get Maggie adopted.

"I'd prefer to keep any legal scrutiny out of this," said the Witchtooth after the moment of silence. "What other options do we have available to us?"

Perry diCarto

Perry paused, thinking about it. "She could come in to my firm, effectively as a pro bono client, and keep you out of it entirely. I would bring her in to the police station to clear up the kidnapping thing, and have the law firm act as her guardian for when they interview her. She would have to say nothing relating to you at all to the police, and that would keep you entirely out of the law's scrutiny. Afterward, since she is an orphan, the government will want to put her in foster care until such time as she can be adopted..."

The Shadowsoul paused, tapping his pen on his desk. There was one person who could definately act legally, but... it was him. Bloody hell, you can't leave a little girl. "I could sign up to be her foster parent personally... but she could stay with you on the down-low until such time as a private adoption was arranged?"

It was a question. He was plainly hoping she would like to hold onto the kid. Perry diCarto was not Daddy Warbucks, and Maggie was not Little Orphan Annie. The Autumn Witch was a much better choice for someone to take care of the girl, especially if she had powers.

"You'd do that?" Stripes blurts out, eyes going wide.

The tiger can hardly believe his ears. He'd gotten the feeling Perry was a nice guy but going this far... he doesn't understand all the legal jargon, but it all sounds like Perry's going out of his way. To basically adopt Maggie himself (on paper at least) until they found her someplace safe was almost too good to be true.

"That's... wow I..." Stripes tries not to stammer too much. "I'm gonna owe you [I]way[I] more than some cat training sessions."

Remaining silent for a good moment, the Witch evaluated the option Perry had presented to her. Eventually, she chose to speak up once more. "That is quite generous of you Mr. diCarto," she said to the lawyer. "If you do not foresee any problems with this course of action, I would be agreeable to it." Betony paused once more, taking the time to collect some of her thoughts. "As I said before, the child cannot go back into the system and put in the care of a random stranger; so you need to be sure that this does not happen." The Witchtooth's words carried a certain weight to them, almost as if there was an unspoken threat suggestion, that if Maggie was put under the care of a random foster parent, things would not go well for her...or the lawyer.

Perry diCarto

Perry nodded - although there was a slight frown on his face at the suggestion, which could perhaps be rectified by a pledge. He wished Betony Rue to understand he was serious about this - a child with telepathy being lost in the system would not under any circumstances be okay. "I understand there is a great deal at stake here. I will pledge my word that I will do all in my power as a lawyer to ensure Maggie is not put in the care of anybody but you, me, or someone else that we designate." Which could be another Freeholder... or the ultimate adoptive parent.

Stripes holds his breath at the weight of Perry's words. A changeling never offers their promises lightly, and this only cements in the tiger's mind how serious Perry is.

Of course, that doesn't mean that he's about to sit back. He focuses his words and will carefully before speaking.

"I... I still want to help to," he says looking between the phone and lawyer. "I won't just dump all this on someone else, I made that mistake once. You tell me what I can do to help Maggie, and I'll do it. I'll see this through till she's safe."

He remains silent, feeling the charge in the air of the fledgling oath. The only thing now is to wait and see if Betony Rue accepts...

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.