Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Pre-Hunt Gathering of Ranked Summers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    S
    Spartan

Summer sat in the Mezzanine of the Forge and looked to those present. Each he trusted in there own way. Spartan took a drink off his bottle of water.

"The untested will go after the following."

Papers

"I am under the understanding that he is not a major target or threat, but should still be a challenge to the untested." Spartan explained. "I understand that none of us care for the crime he committed or care all that much for a reward from the fleshmarket, I would use the reward to free a slave there personally, but a test is a test. Perhaps how they use the reward will be just as much of a test. Assuming they succeed." Spartan looked to the group. "Opinions?"

K
    Kazakin

Rook turned the piece of paper over in his hands, his riveted fingers careful not to destroy it. Then he passed it on, before looking up at the King of Summer. Although his mirrored sunglasses hid his eyes, his expression was clear - set hard, concerned.

Because this was exactly the side of Summer that he was fairly sure at least two of the aspirants not only entirely lacked, but might well be ruined by.

"Do you think they have the ability to even approach it?" the Red Victor said bluntly. "I suspect there will be at least one who questions the morality of this."

In all truth, Rook himself wasn't particularly impressed. Putting someone to death for the crime of stealing from a place that should not exist to begin with wasn't his idea of a good contract. Not that he was under the illusion that anyone who stole from a Fleshmarket was likely to be a good person, but murder for theft seemed... excessive.

Perhaps only because the Board insisted that everyone should be captured, for any infraction of a moral code, even if it was only jaywalking.

It was for this reason that he was not, and never would be, a Tolltaker.

I
    Irina

Anya took the page from Rook, mindful of her talons shredding the paper. She held it delicately between finger and thumb, and studied the goblin-like creature in the image. The Dragon insider her twisted in anger at the idea that this thing had dared to steal a possession - a treasure of some sort, no doubt, even if not what anyone else would conventionally recognise as treasure. But then, not all treasure was gold or silver.

On the other hand, Anya wondered at how terrible their inventory controls must have been to let a treasure slip through their fingers by a thief. Briefly, her bronze fangs pressed into her bottom lip, as she was thinking.

She did try to be reasonable. What had had he stolen? Why? Did it really matter at all? A theft from the Fleshmarket could even potentially be a good thing, though she was under no illusions that everything was as rosy in this world.

The Iron Adjutant glanced sidelong at Rook, to get a gauge of what might be going through his head. She was aware his moral code was entirely different to her own - orderly and systematic where hers could be almost random, as wild and changeable as she was. Neither one perfect, or right, and yet totally opposite.

"It's good that this will be difficult for them. Nothing is black and white in reality, and I got the sense that some of them believe the Summer Court to be a simple matter of glorious battles and honourable duels,"
    Anya replied.

No, nothing is easy. Most of our work is difficult, and bloody, and choosing between two things, both of which may be wrong. To be Summer is to be able to choose in that moment.

She had to do that before, and still was not sure if her decision had been the right one.

S
    Spartan

Spartan tilted his head and looked to Anya, "I agree. Part of the difficulty of this is the decision making. They need to choose how best to handle this. Maybe they look at this." Spartan points to the document, "And say no. That is there option. I would be interested to hear the reasoning."

Spartan took a drink from his bottle of water and looked to the others, "Justin, what do you think?" Spartan asked the promising Sentry.

Justin studied the papers for a moment before giving his answer. He had been asked his opinion on a specific question is this a good challenge for the recruits and his own internal convictions as to how he felt about the trafficking of living creatures would have to wait. The fact that they were dealing with such a despicable enterprise as the Flesh Markets and the dealers that profited from the misery they helped create by handling very specific merchandise didn't sit well with him. He was thankful for Spartan's acknowledgement of what was probably a collective distaste towards anything originating from the Market. Justin's Elemental thought processes broke down the situation into two tangents: what he had learned sitting through three years worth of law school and the ethical debate classes thereof, and what he perceived from the viewpoint of a retired athlete.

"There's enough variables to make this a complicated enough challenge on both an ethical and physical level. You also have the potential that the subject will be more inclined to fight and that offers a physical test along with - or instead of - the moral scenarios that's been brought forward."

The Manikin tapped the papers on the side of his hand, then, "Right now I would be leaning more towards a physical challenge in this case. This weedy looking little guy could be nine feet tall and the Hulk of the Hedge for all we can tell from this picture. But then again who knows...? he could start talking about his motivations to be a thief - maybe he's doing something based on his own moral compass - and that opens up a whole new ethical scenario they have to resolve. Do they hand him over or try to help him? What's the best decision to make? Is there a correctdecision?"

Justin passed the papers along to the next person.

"Any physical elements of the challenge are pretty clear cut in their outcome. More often things involving ethical decisions aren't so clear cut. Even if nobody passes the challenge there's still an education in it for them."

Duncan listened to his King and inspected the paper that was presented with some curiosity. The Snowskin paid close attention to what his Summer brethren had to say on the matter, nodding in agreement with the points they were making. "It will definitely be interesting to see how the prospects handle the situation," said the Constable, piping up on the discussion. "And it will certainly be very telling of their character. The ethical dilemmas that may arise from this, and how they go about handling them will be something I'd paid close attention to." After all, it took more than just muscle to truly count yourself amongst the ranks of the Iron Spear.

K
    Kazakin

Rook gave a slight nod of acknowledgement as he listened to the points of the other Summer Courtiers. He was at least, relieved to learn that his viewpoint wasn't singular. Being a chess piece could give him strange and somewhat skewed moral views. He did his best with the faculties he had available, but he didn't have all the faculties available that he could have had.

He was certain it had never been this hard back when he'd been an ordinary, pretty good at his job, cop.

But the fact that it was hard only made it more worth striving for. Reconstructing morals that worked, and making an active decision to do his best to be a good man didn't diminish him in any way. If anything, it made him feel faintly proud that he'd managed to do it at all. If the Lost here had known him back when he'd first emerged from the Hedge, half-broken by the screaming of the Board, his memories a jumbled mess...

Rook was pleased to note that he'd come a long way.

"It's their character that I'm most concerned about,"
    the Red Victor said quietly. "I have some serious doubts. I rather hope they prove to be unfounded."

S
    Spartan

"We all have doubts about one or two of them. But I am sure that Sam had doubts about me when I joined." Spartan stated flatly as ran his hand along his jaw, thinking about the situation at hand. More tests were in order. "Justin, Duncan, I want you two to go with them. Rook, Anya and I will stay back for now. Something tells me that they will act more... natural without us there." Spartan knew that Rook would not like this, but Justin was proving himself very quickly, and wanted him to continue to do so. He would be a leader one day, Spartan could feel that as well. "Let them lead, let them take point. If they are failing, assist them, but make sure they do the work."

I
    Irina

Anya would have liked to see exactly what Spartan had been like upon is arrival, in order to determine how much he had changed in the intervening months and years. It would have gone a little way into having confidence in those summer hopefuls that she was uncertain of. People were never the same after arriving in a Freehold; growth in some way was inevitable.

Usually.

"And watch your backs," Anya added, although it probably went without saying. Of Duncan and Justin, she did not have any specific concerns; but even the most simple investigation could turn sour. The Draconic did not like that they would hang back; it was anathema to wait and let someone else do the work. It did make sense on the one hand, and yet the new recruits would need to grow accustomed to their presence quickly enough were they to become a member of the summer court.

It was a curious situation.

Duncan listened to the others as they spoke. When Spartan addressed him and Justin directly, the Snowskin focused his attention on his King. Giving the hoplite a firm nod, the Constable agreed with the orders he was given. "Will do sir," he said to Spartan in response. "I will hang back and observe them, and will not interfere unless their lives are at risk." With those words, the ice Elemental fell back to silence, awaiting for any further instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.