Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
71 - 80
DISPLAYED
A Christmas Carol

Page 8 of 13 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Last

After a couple more minutes of poking and prodding the EMT stands. "There, I think you'll be alright for now. No sign of a concussion that I can see, but you really should stop by the hospital and have them check you out, just to be safe." Then the two medics head off toward the next person in need of attention.

"A lawyer? Oh. Um, wow!" The girl looks a little flustered for a moment, but then she leans in conspiratorially. "Well, nothing quite like this today, of course, but Abbey - she works over at the jewelry counter at the Macey's, you know, she's a regular customer always stops by for a large Pomegranate-Dragonfruit with energy before her shift and an Orange-Strawberry with immune booster after, well, she says that her boss, the big boss, you know, not the jewelry manager, but the guy who runs the whole store? Well, he comes buy the counter all the time. Tells them to mark up some jewelry or another, then some rich looking guy looking for a gift or a daddy's girl feeling down on herself comes by and starts looking. He'll 'casually' walk by and offer them a discount back to it's actual price, sell it all up as a manager's special, you know? Then after they buy it he makes sure they record the manager's discount on the items, but, and get this, he doesn't record the markup!" As she talks she gestures air quotes with her free hand when she says 'casually', then she throws the same hand up at the end.

"I know! Right?! But the books always seem to work out. I bet you know where that money's going, don't you? And it's always on some really expensive piece too. Abbey said he did it on a $2,300 dollar necklace once! Guy walked away with over $400 on that one item. Must have really needed a new suit or something. Oh look!" She suddenly gets more excited and points. "There he is right there!"

Over in the direction the smoothie girl indicates the man in the rumpled suit and blood shot eyes glances blearily at Shin. "Um," he blinks a couple time, "oh, yeah, thanks." He takes a cookie and looks at the smoothies. "Say, any of these have energy boosters?"

Perry diCarto

Perry listened patiently, smiling slightly as the girl rambled on and on. He waited for her to get to the good stuff - and eventually she did. So the man was stealing from the store - so how was that connected to what was going on right now with him? The Shadowsoul peered over at the guy that she indicated, specifically looking for the man's shadow to see if it appeared to match his body. Good. Shin's already started. A flash of a grin, back at the girl. "Interesting. Very interesting. Thank you so much for your help," he said with a brilliant smile, offering her a business card with a little flourish. "If you can think of anything else that might help us, please, just give me a call!"

It had to be connected. Odd occurrences usually were, he found. He peered at the man, seeing if he could pierce through any mask that might be there. That would go a long way to solving things, if this guy was a Changeling in disguise.

Saying his farewells to the girl, he headed over to the security guards with the banker. Looking for the one in charge, Perry introduced himself, offering the man a handshake. "Hello, sir; how are you today?" he said. "My name is Perry diCarto. I'm an attorney... and I'm getting the sense that this gentleman might need to exercise his right to legal counsel once he wakes up. Mind if I have a chat with him?" It was a polite request as much as a suggestion - this man had rights, and if he was denied access to counsel, any case against him could be tainted.

5 sux to get the girl to call if she thinks of anything else useful, 3 sux to get access to the banker, 5 sux to check the strung out guy's shadow
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-07 14:18:05 Perry diCarto rolls 6 to Perception (10 Again) 10, 8, 8, 6, 1, 9, 8 5 successes
    2013-01-07 14:14:16 Perry diCarto rolls 11 to I'm a Lawyer, Let Me Talk to My Client (Manip3+Per5+SL4+Fame1) (10 Again) 3, 4, 3, 8, 2, 5, 9, 3, 8, 5, 5 3 successes
    2013-01-07 14:12:33 Perry diCarto rolls 11 to Call Me If You Think of Anything Else? (Manip3+Per5+SL4+Fame1) (10 Again) 2, 2, 1, 9, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10, 5, 4, 3, 6 5 successes

S
    Shin Wei

Shin glanced down at the drinks, one yellow, one red, trying to remember which the girl had said had the energy booster in it. "Yeah. They both do." He lied. "One of them has an immune booster, too, but I can't remember which."

"May I sit?" He asked after handing the man his drink. "I have been on my feet all day, and then this..." He shrugged, then sat heavily across from the man whether invited to or not. He was close enough now that he was pretty sure he could stop the guy if he tried to bolt - seated or not - and he'd draw less attention this way.

Now what? He knew he was no good at small talk, and the thought of trying to lead the conversation like some kind of slick super-spy made the foo dog break out in a cold sweat. No, he'd say something stupid and chase the man off or make him angry, and then where would they be?

No. He would do what he was best at - he would guard this man, make sure he didn't go anywhere, and detain him physically only if they really needed to. He glanced over and saw that Perry was busy with the security guards around the banker, and knew he'd have to buy time until the lawyer was free again.

0 successes. Shin is bad at small talk.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-08 14:08:41 Shin Wei rolls 2 to to study the man (Wits + Empathy) (10 Again) 2, 4 failure
    2013-01-08 14:07:52 Shin Wei rolls 1 to keep the guy talking (Presence + Socialize) (10 Again) 5 failure

"Uhh." He said, at a loss for anything to talk about. "How about the weather, hmm?"

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

One of the advantages of being really tall and built like, well, a rock, is that when one plays dumb and quiet, quite often one is ignored as if one were little more than part of the scenery. Green knew all about being part of the scenery. He also knew how walls -and big dumb rocks- had ears. So he used his while the girl babbles on about the secret goings-on of the food court. Of interest is the fraud. Of interest is the rumour of other rumours, of other strange events that happen at the mall with regularity. Of interest is the coincidence of the Fairest lawyer he met turning up out of the blue, after the riot calms down.

Green watches it all, filing it away for later.

He remains silent but once the medics have let him be, he shifts his position so that he looks like a dumb guy who doesn't know what to do, torn between staying and going. He casts a look over to the stone dog, his fellow Elemental, in case he is needed. He does the same to the battered Darkling, a silent offer of assistance. He even sends a glance to the lawyer, though he doesn't think the Fairest caught it, given how he is wrapped up with the police.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is wait... and absorb stuff.

J
    Jarons20

Finally getting to his feet, Erik had three options.

Shin was speaking to the man Erik had noticed before, a sense of trepidation had dripped off him before, had he known what was about to happen?

Perry was talking to the rent-a-cops, and the banker who had started all of this was on the ground. Erik needed to know more about the man.

Or he could leave. Molly was no where to be seen, perhaps she had found a way out of the madness of the mall. Green stood where he was. Erik could easily walk out of here, check himself later into a hospital, he still had some money. Money!!!

Erik made his way, fixing his jacket, his face.

"Sir, I understand you are a lawyer," Erik walked right past towards Perry diCarto "I would also like to bring suit against this mall for the injuries I sustained. I am also willing to testify in court what I witnessed including the actions of these guards"

Erik indicated the ones still flushing mace out of their own eyes

Perry diCarto

Perry's head slowly turned, and his emerald green eyes stared at Erik for a moment. He had zero clue what the weird Darkling was doing right now, but if he got the security guards all up in arms and made Perry's life hard, there would be hell to pay. His tone was polite, but it was pretty obvious Perry did not appreciate whatever Erik was trying to do. "If you want to bring suit against anybody successfully, you might want to go get an actual medical examination of your injuries done for the records." As if the alternative was complete failure. As if maybe Perry might go on the record for the mall instead, even though he wasn't even a civil litigator. There was something hinky and Fae going on here, and Erik was derailing their looking into that.

He returned his attention to the guards, flashing them a brief smile. There was a possible client and a definately involved individual he needed to assist, and he'd dealt with the random intruder.

failure to realize Erik is trying to help
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-10 22:11:09 perry dicarto rolls 4 to wits+emp (10 Again) 4, 3, 4, 2 failure
      3 sux intimidate vs. Erik to put a bit of kick behind his words
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-10 19:59:20 Perry diCarto rolls 11 to Go away! (Pres+Intimidation+spec+SL4) (9 Again) 10, 10, 4, 6, 1, 3, 8, 2, 5, 6, 3, 6, 5 3 successes

J
    Jarons20

Erik had made a mistake, he was trying to help intimidate the guards into being more cooperative but had instead drawn the ire of a Spring. Before leaving he passed Green.
    "I hope to see you again, when things are quieter"
    Erik leaves the scene

ooc

The two mall cops guarding the banker look at each other after the exchange between Perry diCarto and Erik. Neither of them looks at all confident about the situation. The glance at each other and one of the shrugs, the other shakes his head in a sort of false bravado. "Fucking ambulance chasers," he mutters under his breath in his best attempt to imitate his favorite crime drama. But both of them step aside without any complaint, or any real verbal response to the lawyer.

Meanwhile, the man shrugs Shin Wei and then takes the smoothie and chugs it down. Then he grimaces and pinches his nose to fight off the inevitable brain-freeze. He seems to totally miss that Shin is trying to come up with small talk and answers. "Is it? I didn't notice." Off to the side, @%1; stands quietly observing the conversations.

Perry diCarto

Perry sighed to himself as Erik stalked off. He supposed it was for the best that the man should get some treatment and rest; he'd had the shit kicked out of him, and that hardly helped anybody's day go well. Speaking of which...

"Hi, how are you?" he said to one of the EMTs with a flash of a smile. Perry had plenty of handy allies in the emergency services world; paramedics, dispatchers, police officers - all were good people for a defence lawyer to know. "My name is Perry diCarto... I'm a defence lawyer here in town? Would you be willing to give me a hand with my client? He... seems to be unconscious." He said with a little smile and shrug.

3 sux for allies socialization
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-14 23:18:51 Perry diCarto rolls 10 to Recognize me, Allies! Pres4+Soc0+SpringSocBonus1+2SL4+Allies2+Fame1 (10 Again) 8, 1, 4, 1, 9, 10, 1, 6, 7, 5, 7 3 successes

S
    Shin Wei

Shin, making no headway in his conversation with the stressed man, glanced over to see what had become of his companions. He frowned as Erik stalked off, though he reasoned that the man was probably on the way to the hospital. Head injuries were serious business, even for the Lost.

He nibbled at a cookie, trying to think of what to do next. It was clear that he wouldn't get anywhere talking to the guy - he clearly wasn't paying attention to Shin. But, maybe he could use that to his advantage...

Seated now, and without the adrenaline of breaking free from the crowd to break his concentration, he once again began to study the aftermath around him. Subtly, while pretending to stare blankly off into the distance, he studied the man as well, trying to see if there was something in particular he kept looking at. (Or avoided looking at, which could be just as damning!)

4 suxx to investigation
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-01-15 12:39:04 Shin Wei rolls 5 to Investigation (-1 for successive attempt) (10 Again) 2, 9, 10, 1, 10, 8, 2 4 successes

Page 8 of 13 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Last
Closed Thread