Martha was eager to meet Alice tonight. She had much to talk about. Dashing as quickly and securely as she could from her Haven and headed to the Ember. Martha limped and skipped up the stairs to the management offices with a smile on her face and a package under one arm.

She wore a slightly different uniform tonight. Her black blazer was usual. But she wore a black short pleated school skirt with a hemline an inch above her single knee. Revealing her flesh leg to be slim, trim and toned. A black felt 'winter' pattern school hat (the badge of which matches that on her blazer is the concentric circle pattern now used as the symbol of Atlantis) and a Cambridge style satchel, her ensemble was almost fully black...including her kneesocks (though the kneesock on her false C-Leg has rolled to her metal ankle joint)...polished Mary Janes...only her red necktie, the alternate white of her insignia and white of her crisp blouse adds any colour. She smells of minty toothpaste and freshly squeezed lemons.

Martha's long black twin tails bobbed and swayed as she limpingly skipped her way along to the office she shared with Alice.

Upon arriving at the door, she paused and knocked politely...waiting to see if Alice was there...

'Yes? Please come in.' Alice's warm voice invites anyone to come inside. Of course she is expecting Martha, but she can never be sure. When the Herald steps inside, Alice rises from her seat to make a respectful curtsy.

'Herald Villiers.' Naturally, the Daeva Whip notices slight differences when someone normally always dresses the same. 'You look wonderful tonight!'

Alice is wearing a very simple outfit, to get into the Autumn mood. Sweater dress and leggings, totally 2012. 'I feel like we have an endless things to discuss!' A chuckle follows and Alice makes her way to the comfortable couch in the corner of the office.

Martha dipped a respectful curtsy too. Clearly delighted at Alice's kind words and greeting. With a cheery tone and clearly in a good mood, she replies with sincerity; "Oh, indeed, Madam Harpy! Goodness, it is good to see you! How splendid you look this evening!" she stares a while at Alice's sleek legs and grips hard at the wrapped package under her arm. A bashful smile as she watched Alice make her way towards the couch.

"I dare say we do..." she repeats meekly and limps over to join Alice at the couch. A small and friendly curtsy is offered to Alice as Martha, beaming a smile, silently offers the small package, no larger than a shoebox, to Alice. The package itself is wrapped in a red ribbon bow. The same ribbons as often adorn Martha's twin tails. The packing itself being a simple, but elegant, purple velvet wrap of some sort.

Alice quite curious why Martha is carrying a package, but the Harpy is composed enough to not give it any direct attention. 'Thank you Herald Villiers, I thought... something simple for tonight. Comfort is something I tend to forget sometimes.'

Then the lovely Mekhet sits down, and Alice is happily surprised when the package is given to her. 'Oh! To what do I owe the honor?' She slowly unwraps the ribbon, then the velvet wrap... becoming more excited every second.

Alice's excitement encourages Martha who smiles and eagerly gestures to the package. "Ah! I am rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's." cheerfully watching as Alice's beloved shoes, left at the Court of Execution, are returned in the package to their rightful owner.

'Oh my heels! Hahah, oh my.' Alice laughs, taken by surprise, and thankfully nods to Martha. 'I never expected to see those ever again. I'm eternally grateful, Herald Villiers!' Yes, she is exaggerating a bit, but all she says is true to some extent.

'These bring back some memories...' she says while takes a better look at the shoes. It surprises her that she's actually ashamed of herself, now, for the first time in a long long while. The Harpy is even speechless for a moment...

Martha isn't used to seeing Alice so reflective and oddly emotional. With a tender smile, Martha watches Alice's delight. Pleased she can help her friend.

Deciding not to intrude on Alice's pause for thought, Martha sits neatly and happily at Alice's side. She wants to reach out and offer a gentle kiss of friendship...or a hand to touch...but...she fears miscalculation.

A gentle smile and nod is offered instead. Staying silent, lest she interrupt Alice's moment of reunion.

When Martha doesn't speak, Alice looks up. She's not so emotional over a pair of shoes, rather because of all the other thoughts that came along with it. 'I will be leaving Sacramento for some years.'

Ba dum tsshhh

Then the Daeva smiles. 'I'm sorry, I have no need to be subtle about it. Saying it directly comes as a relief. I plan to keep in touch, maybe, and I will return.' What else would she do? A woman in love doesn't leave her prince that easily. Before Martha can reply Alice continues. 'However, that return will probably not be within another human lifetime. I fled Europe, now I'm strong enough to go back.'

Some bitches killed my sire, and probably my sister as well.

Martha lets out a small whimper. Wide eyed. Any Blush of Life she had simply faded away. Watching Alice she can barely think straight. For a moment Martha was unable to marshal words. When she did, they were stained with sadness.

"I...I shall wait for you..." she whimpered. Gently, with trembling hands, reached to hold Alice's hand.

'Then I will come back, Martha Villiers.' Alice releases her hands, but only to be able to friendly hug the tiny Mekhet. With her arms around her she continues to speak. 'I trust Sacramento will be in safe hands, especially now you're the Reeve,' a short emotional chuckle, 'just promise me to keep enjoying your Requiem. While I take care of my past I cannot worry about the ones I care for.' A request, but also some advise.

She leans back, still smiling. For her it wasn't "leaving" but more a feeling of moving on. Alice has been traveling from town to town for the last several decades. The only thing that changed is that she's now traveling alone, and not with a partner.

'Love the life you live, live the life you love.'

Martha had known loss before. Sarah was slain...Thomas too...others she had known dearly had fallen to the sword or left the Domain.

But...but Alice going would take away so much more. Martha could barely listen and understand. Only hold tightly to Alice; nod meekly and begin to cry blood tears.

"I will wait...I shall! But...just at this moment...I simply cannot be brave...Alice...I will do all you ask of me...but...I am so terribly sorry...I...I..." she wanted to add, I shall miss you...but she could only gasp and choke on her tears and the beginnings of sorrow and tries to kiss Alice very timidly, so very gently.

'Oh my dear.' Alice is getting emotional now as well. That is, more emotional. She doesn't want Martha to cry! 'Don't be sorry, please Martha.'

Well, a part of Alice wants Martha to cry, a duchagne wants to be missed because that means she was important. But Alice is not that duchagne right now. She returns a few gentle kisses to the tiny Mekhet.

'I should tell you, as you know I have always tried to have a few other Daeva working here. Daymian McMahon has worked here already, and Mr Smith might be suitable for security? Perhaps they can keep up with my "Daeva presence" and make you miss me a bit less.' The Daeva chuckles, but directly a sniff follows. Alice is not going to cry now. 'Just... maybe... I should just say goodbye.'

Martha dare not let Alice go. She sniffed too and tears began to fall. She held to Alice's hands and nodded as Alice explained her plan. "please...not goodbye, Alice...rather...I hope: au revoir..." she sniffed again. Tears fell once more as Martha raised Alice's hands to kiss them so very gently.

'Oui, au revoir, of course!' A sentimental chuckle follows. Then she rises from the couch. It is hard to step away from Martha. 'I will see you again, Martha.'

She turns around, pulling up her mask of indifference as she plans to step out of the office. She looks over her shoulder. 'I left a gift for you at the desk... I hope you like it, as a reminder.'

Then the Daeva starts to walk away, leaving Martha and a box. The box is quite similar to the one Martha gave to Alice earlier. This one also contains a pair of shoes, but the former Harpy of Sacramento doesn't wait to hear the reaction.