Ended
Watch

Basic computer tuition

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

It was a quarter to midnight when Aileen parked in the court of the Chapterhouse, and it seemed she was the only Dragon in attendance. Walking out of her car, she took a wallet with her laptop in it, mentally checking she had all she needed. A notebook and a pen, battery and cables. Sounded good enough.

She walked past the Foyer in the Public Libray, and past it to the Study, where the Shadow started unpacking, waiting for her appointment with M.Ankers, as per yesterday's call.

Vassagon

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Striking Looks •• (handsome)
    Blood Potency •
    -Blush Active in Social Scenes-

PRE

Chase was a little tardy, which he hated to be attached to his reputation, but it was unavoidable. With his laptop and spare desktop in his Chevy Caprice PPV. He was in casual attire. It wasn't really something he needed to be well-dressed for. Handling computer parts in a suit seemed like a strange idea to him. It more or less reminded him of his college days. Today he was in a simple plaid button down shirt and jeans. He brought an air can and some electronic safe wipes as well as a series of small screwdrivers.

After parking he exited the car and hefted the desktop case in hand. He set it by the door and then went back for his laptop case and kit, bringing them to the door as well before opening the door and placing both inside, locking his car, and closing the door behind him. The place always seemed to have someone in it when he was there so he called out in a calm voice, "Hello? Miss McFarlane?"

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Turning her head at the call from Supplicant Ankers, Aileen looked away from her screen where she had started opening windows she didn't understand, and stood up, walking back to the entrance.

Good evening, Supplicant Ankers, thank you for coming. Seeing he had his hands full though, she offered to help Do you need a hand to bring those ? I've started working in the Study. and she turned her head toward the room.

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

"Hello, Miss McFarlane. It's alright to call me Chase if it's just us. And if it's alright with you may I once again call you Aοleen?" At her offer for help he handed her his laptop case by its strap. "If you could, thank you. I'll move the tower into the Study then." After handing the item off he lifted the tower and brought it to the next room along with her. "Have you been well since last night? I was a little surprised that you'd be requesting lessons so soon. But I'm glad for it anyhow. It's nice to feel useful. Sometimes I feel like the only thing I'm good at is computers."

Since she was so non-threatening and hardly betrayed anything vampiric about her save for the dark look about her eyes, it was difficult for Chase not to act open and friendly with her. He had no ulterior motives for this occasion. Though iff she took to the lessons and developed her skills she would be of great use to him later on. For now he was simply fulfilling the offer he made her the last time they were here together.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Aileen didn't really know how casual she could be with her superiors in the Order, but she guessed that if it was their request, there was little harm in dropping the Titles. Not that Supplicant Villiers had ever hinted she wanted to, but Chase was obviously another kind of person. Of course... Chase. See... not so hard, really.

Helping him bring the gear in the Study, the Mekhet wondered why he had felt the need to bring all this. Surely they would be part of the lesson., but she had no clue what they were for.

I have been well, thank you, and I hope it is the same for you Su... Chase. did she correct herself with a smile.

Well... since I have come to Sacramento, I have not exactly been the most forthcoming Dragon, have I ? it was a purely rhetorical question, they both knew the answer.

But I want this to change, I want to do things, learn more, meet people. the way she said that, it was clear that she meant it as the Labours of Heracles. and I can do all that starting this evening by learning from you, Supplicant. I hope to repay the favor someday too, if I can help you. the stress on the Title was her attempt to humour the man. He was more knowledgeable at computers than her, wealthier, more advanced in the Order, how could he be good only at computers ?

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

OOC
    Chase smiled back thankfully as they set the equipment down in the Study. "Even if those same people share the curse you are plagued by, Aοleen?" teased Chase, paraphrasing a statement she had once made to him. "Ah sorry, that may have been rude of me. I just don't want you to think we're all so monstrous." Even though we can be. "I really am glad you've decided to pursue a more in-depth knowledge of computers though. It is in itself a tool of change." Much more than that even. When networked together it became a river of information, ripe for harvest.

"But don't concern yourself with repaying me just yet. We're just covering some basics and foundations. Who knows, you might abhor the thought of it after tonight and never wish for another lesson," he laughed a mirthful chuckle. "But I doubt that. I'll try to make it painless as possible." Were they still talking about computers?

Chase sets the laptop up on the desk and places the tower beside it on the floor.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

After a pause to consider Chase's arguments, Aοleen replied in a soft tone I know we're not all monstrous. Some are just more unlucky that others, is all. but that raised the question, did she number herself among them ? She thought about that again, then trailed off those thoughts, and back about computers.

I do hope to trigger change with those tools, indeed, so you'll have an interested student. But painless can't hurt, I trust you on that. she added finally.

So what did you bring those two computers for please, Chase ?

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

"Indeed," replied Chase as he bent down, placing a hand on the tower as if to better illustrate his intentions. "Well you see often people grow used to the idea that a computer is this self-contained device that just magically functions on its own, you plug it in, double click some buttons and your programs load up. People forget that they're delicate machines that need to be maintained to function properly. Actually I'm sort of describing my relationship with cars. I don't really know how they work but I fill it up with gas and it gets me where I need to go." He chuckles lightly and then continues where he left off.

"Anyhow, I thought we'd take a look at the interior of a computer and I could point out all the components, just to describe what they each do and how you can practice some safe maintenance, like cleaning out dust and making sure everything is securely in place. It's easier with a desktop, so I thought we'd just do it that way. I brought the laptop because, well, I just like having it with me. So, Aοleen, what operating system would you say you're most comfortable with?"

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

I know computers are more complicated than they look. Same as cars, really did she laugh humorously but it's true I've got no idea what's on the inside...

It was true of so many things, actually. But no one would have the time to understand the whole world, and so you had to choose fields. Operating system ? You mean... the Shadow tried to remember what was the meaning of the word already, and quickly came up with examples, for lack of a definition Windows or Mac ? I've only ever used Windows...

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

Chase nodded impartially to her answer, "That should be fine. I use Linux on my own laptop but we can just work on yours for now. An operating system is just a framework software that interfaces your input devices, like a keyboard and mouse, with the cpu. Windows is a good OS but often with each OS you usually get a trade-off between user friendly features and customization. Also some software you may wish to have on your computer are only compatible with a certain operating system, and most are compatible with Windows."

Chase begins to unscrew the back of the case in order to detach the side and expose the interior of the tower. While he does so he continues to speak to Aοleen, "So, while I have prepared a lesson plan for you, I still am inclined to ask what you hope to achieve from these lessons. Later on I might cater your lessons to that purpose. Do you think you want to get into networking, web design? Programming or information science? Or are you thinking something more...umm...malicious?"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread