Ended
Watch

Herald's Office Hours (9) The Herald and a Deputy meet Mr John Smith

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha listened. Attentive and watchful as always. Smiling gently she too sipped at her lemonade. Nodding once more. "Well, I see you are very skilled, sir! Yet...how can I make best use of your skills if you won't comply with my request to disclose the range of your Powers of the Blood? Keeping a secret from me, sir, is akin to refusing to disclose knowledge to His Grace, the Alder Prince. Would you deny that knowledge to the Prince?" she blinks, perplexed, but still friendly, she even giggles at the situation,almost amused by John's temerity; "I hope you can trust me, sir! I shan't use the knowledge to put you at a disadvantage. Rather, to your advantage...to be best deploy you where your skills can be used correctly!" A sweet and innocent smile follows. Though she remains attentive to signs of threat or violence. "If you fear eavesdropping...you may write them down...I shall keep that knowledge safe and then destroy the paper! How does that sound, sir?" she smiles and with one hand begins to get a small notepad and ballpoint pen from the inside pocket of her school blazer.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

F
    FistsFullofDice

John was intrigued now, if also a little frustrated by her display of power. It seemed that he was correct in his earlier assumption, that behind the friendly exterior there is a kindred of power who has rightfully earned her position. Dealing with the sheep was always so much easier, and for the longest time John was the apex predator as few dared to follow into the blazing hell that is war. It was strange not being in that position anymore, something he knew he would have to get all to familiar with. "Yes, that would be acceptable. Thank you for your accommodation to my paranoia Madam Herald" John slowly rises and moves towards the Herald. Stopping at a distance he accepts the paper and pen and writes his current powers down. Folding the paper over and placing the pen back onto the pad, he hands the materials back to the Herald and steps backwards to his seat again. She had made a fair point but it still put John in an uneasy position, he could feel his beast lean farther back on its heals as it became ready to bolt once again.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Tiny Martha makes no sudden movements and accepts the notepad back with a grateful nod. "Thank you, sir! I have no intention of fuelling any paranoia! Far from it, sir!" she makes a show of gratefully reading the note pad, peering at the information through her spectacles which she has gently eased to the tip of her nose. Smiling and still friendly, Martha neatly rips the page from the notebook and tears it into four before tucking the bits into her pocket.

"I shall burn it later, sir! I didn't wish to brandish a lighter at the moment for fear of causing an unpleasant shock!" a happy giggle as she pats the pocket to show her good intentions. Martha seems fully sincere.

Eager to bring a lighter mood, she asks cheerfully;
    "Is there anything you wish to ask me, sir?"

Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

F
    FistsFullofDice

"Of course, thank you Madam Herald" After her comment about the lighter John says, "No, I fully understand" Feeling relieved that the situation hadn't progressed into anything further John replied to the Herald's final comment. "Oh I don't believe I have anything to critical Madam Herald. My next stop is the Torch Club, per the Madam Seneschal Donovan's recommendation. And perhaps the next night I will go to our local Philharmonic, also per the Madam Seneschal's recommendation. I am doing my best to become informed in other matters than war and will most likely be found prowling the halls of local galleries and museums for some time to come"

Martha Villiers

PRE

At the mention of music Martha brightens and nods. "I see! How splendid! Well, that sounds a most excellent endeavor, sir! I wonder...would you wish me to play something for you? Something that you feel might expand your musical knowledge? I cannot claim to have a comprehensive knowledge of all music...but if you are curious about a musical piece or style, I might be able to help explore that with you! I am always eager to discuss music with people!" she chirps eagerly and merrily. Getting her cane ready to help her stand, using it briefly to point towards the piano.

F
    FistsFullofDice

"Well as you can guess Madam Herald the majority of my musical knowledge has come from the soviet artists and composers in Moscow such as Samuil Feinberg and Emil Gilels. As I have listened to their works reflecting the great European legends like Bach and Mozart, I have begun to become interested more in the works that inspired them in their studies. If you would be so kind as to play me music that has inspired you in your studies, I would be honored Madam Herald" John stands so that he may be of assistance to Herald Villers in any way. It was an odd turn in the night, being played music by such a high ranking member of the domain, though John was very grateful for her offer. Such offers may never come again and to not embrace it at the moment would be a tragedy should that be the case.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"How simply splendid! Thank you! Please do follow me, sir!" To judge by her smile, Martha appears delighted at this. Nodding cheerfully, she uses her cane to stand and hobbles and skips limpingly and playfully over to the piano.

Once she has sat, rested her cane at her side and smoothed out any creases from her gymslip, tiny Martha smiles and, as one hand lifts the cover to the keyboard, the other gently invites John to come closer. With a smile she rests her hands in her lap.

With another happy giggle, she begins a small lecture;
    "I think...perhaps...any musical education of Western music should always encompass the work of Johann Sebastian Bach. Bach, as you may know, died in 1750...a sufferer of diabetes. Now...if you will indulge me, I shall mention Bach in a little more detail. Johann Bach is, it goes perhaps without saying, one of the corner-stones of Western music...many greater minds than mine claim he is the finest of all composers! He is certainly influential! Bach's use of detailed chord structures...robust and carefully thought through construction of melody...the sheer energy of his work! All of these qualities are outstanding. His reputation and prestige, which had declined since his death, was greatly restored in the late 19th century and remains pure today. Probably now never to diminish."

And here she offers John another happy smile,
    "It is now, Mr Smith, that I must mention Tomaso Albinoni. A contemporary of Bach. Albinoni died in 1751. Bach greatly respected Tomaso. In fact...Bach borrowed heavily on work composed by Albinoni for some of the pieces written to help educate his, Bach's that is, pupils in the art of concerto composition! Albinoni these days, sir, appears to be known solely for his Adagio in G." a smile is offered, "Sadly, I knew not of that piece when I was a girl. Why? Not because my knowledge is imperfect, sir...which it is, of course...yet rather that it's attribution to Albinoni is entirely bogus. Though a most beautiful and remarkable piece, it was written in 1945 - borrowing a theme from Albinoni incorporating themes and motifs much used by him in his actual compositions!" she laughs cheerily, clearly amused by the fraud, "I add at this point, sir, that Albinoni's life may interest you in one other way..." she readies her hands to play, "For a variety of reasons, in 1722, Albinoni made a visit to the German Court in Munch at the invitation of the Crown-Prince. Upon arrival he was immediately accused of being an imposter! Was he really Albinoni?" a playfully shocked giggle and expression emphasize her retelling, "Obviously confused and appalled, Albinoni protested. To no avail! The court were convinced: he must be an imposter! How dare he! He looked nothing like Albinoni! After all, had not Albinoni not entertained Court with lavish concerts for the last month before making his way to Rostock not two weeks earlier? Laden, they recalled dismally, with huge sums of money earned from these concerts!" she emphasizes her question with a theatrically quizzical shrug and gesture of query. Another cheery smile soon follows, "Eventually Albinoni convinced the Court if his true identity. The city was soon alive with the happy news that the real Albinoni had arrived and the rest of the visit to Munich passed with much success. With this in mind, sir...I shall now try to play you BWV 950 and BWV 951. Fugues by Johann Sebastian Bach...based on themes from the much abused, and real, Tomaso Albinoni..."

(What Martha plays for John - http://youtu.be/pU_tiVS06ao and http://youtu.be/aQjF0TNsDCk )

As the last of the notes die away, Martha rests her hands in her lap, becoming motionless and quiet, head bowed...as if in a mark of respect to the composers.

F
    FistsFullofDice

John followed Madam Villers to the piano, he stood next to the instrument slightly to the side so as to speak with the Madam Herald without her having to look to far. He listened to her story with a smile. She told it in a way that obviously showed her love for the subject and John was happy to have someone so dedicated to learn from. It was a fine tale, and even though the thought of an imposter such as himself deceiving the courts was comical, it was also inspiring in an odd way. As she moved about the keys with skill and ease John watched her motions, trying to be as attentive a pupil as he could be. However, the music soon took over and John closed his eyes to watch the rise and fall of the melody. As she ended, and sat in quiet reflection John to remained silent and unmoving. He found it a fitting tribute to the masters. After some time had passed, John breathed in slowly to prepare his words properly. He spoke in a soft voice, not wishing to interrupt her tribute to soon. "Both your skill and the composition, were remarkable Madam Herald. You have been far to kind to me this evening" John stepped slightly to the rear and bowed to his host.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha, her hands remaining neatly folded in her lap, smiles and nods with humble thanks to John. "Thank you, sir! You are very welcome, Mr Smith!" a happy smile, "I do hope you will feel free to visit again if you wish to speak of the Arts...or, indeed, any other matters that interest you!" another sincere and friendly cheery smile.

F
    FistsFullofDice

"But of course Madam Herald, I will be looking forward to our next meeting. Thank you for your time Madam Herald, if you will excuse me" Mr. Smith bowed once again. One step slightly to the rear, left hand over his chest and his right hand extended out slightly. After rising, John than gave a final small yet friendly smile as he silently stepped towards the table. He retrieved his hat and started towards the stairs, placing it on his head as he rose to the main floor. The noise of the gathered sheep became louder and the unease of being around a superior beast was farther and father. John smelled the alcohol and perfume and food. All the echos of a life he once had called out to him, but he only thought of one thing.

Snack time!

OOC

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread