Ended
Watch
121 - 129
DISPLAYED
(1209) AFD Chess Competition

Page 13 of 13 First ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

2nd roll, 4 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-03 17:10:34 Orpheus rolls 9 to Play Chess with Halo (10 Again) 9, 3, 10, 3, 6, 8, 8, 1, 2, 7 4 successes

"Leo? I had the luck to meet him during the blade compitition. Almost busted my shoulder during that match." He says, rolling his arm a little as he did so. "Guessing from the fact you're here, chess didn't work out so well for him as blades did?" He grins a little, it would've been nice to have one-upped Leo after losing in the Blade tourney, but oh well.

Beginning to pick up steam, Orpheus starts taking a considerable few of Halo's pieces with his knights, picking off one of the bishops and a couple of pawns. Now we've started.

S
    Sabeleth

Okay, where the hell did that come from? Halo resisted the urge to let out a gasp of surprise as Orpheus' knights cut right through his trap like a lightsaber through Ben Kenobi. "Blades huh? Yeah, not my scene man. Guess I got some revenge for you though!" He smiled sheepishly as he tried to think up a way out of the trap he'd just stumbled into. Admiral Ackbar was screaming in his head.

Chess(3); 3 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-03 18:48:20 Halo rolls 6 to Chess vs Orpheus (3) [Int + Resolve + Mods] (10 Again) 1, 1, 1, 2, 7, 10, 10, 10, 2 3 successes

Somehow he managed to pick himself up again and took out one of the annoying knights. He wasn't exactly in a great position, but it was much better than it had been a moment ago.

"Yeah, guess I owe you that one." He grinned slightly. Losing ine of his knights was not ideal, Orpheus had planned on using them for Halo's queen. Time to transition. Pulling back his remaining knight, He switches his main attacking piece to a bishop and rook.

3 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-04 08:44:17 Orpheus rolls 9 to Play Chess, 3rd roll (10 Again) 3, 10, 2, 5, 4, 6, 2, 9, 5, 10, 4 3 successes

the result wasn't as favorable as he had hoped, but Orpheus was at least maintaining the fair lead he had. Although a single misstep at this stage of the game would be very hard to make up.

S
    Sabeleth

"Heh, I sure thought so!" He smiled at the comment and carefully considered what to do next.

Chess(4); 4 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-04 16:19:17 Halo rolls 6 to Chess vs Orpheus (4) [Int + Resolve + Mods] (10 Again) 2, 9, 10, 9, 5, 1, 9 4 successes
    Fortunately Halo spotted the trap straight away and was able to counter it somewhat. Orpheus could still pull it back quite easily but if he made a mistake then things would get really interesting as they entered the endgame.

"Man, what a game this is turning out to be. I'm going to have start practicing for the next time."

"Ah crap..." Apparently, switching out pieces was a little harder than he had originally believed. Suddenly Halo was pressing down on him and not the other way around. Thinking in overtime, He had to come up with some way to pull this together.

4th roll, 2 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-05 19:45:00 Orpheus rolls 9 to Play us some chess! (10 Again) 9, 3, 4, 7, 9, 2, 6, 1, 3 2 successes

S
    Sabeleth

It was all coming down to the endgame, and the handful of pieces they each had left. Halo hadn't even expected to get this far, so he was pleased either way...or so he told himself. His heart was beating faster and faster, and he was trying really hard not to make a dumb move he couldn't take back.

"Whoever wins...this has been totally freakin' epic man."

Looking back at the board he settled on his strategy, and gave it his best shot. Now it was all down to whether his opponent saw it and countered in time.

Chess(5); 4 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-05 20:55:39 Halo rolls 6 to Chess vs Orpheus (5) [Int + Resolve + Mods] (10 Again) 3, 3, 6, 10, 2, 8, 10, 8 4 successes

The Scientist was at a loss. There has to be something. Come on, Anything! He was yelling in his head as he scanned the board for any openings and the traps that might be revealed by taking them.

5th and final roll, 2 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-11-05 22:00:24 Orpheus rolls 12 to Please Work! (Chess round 5) (10 Again, WillPower) 8, 3, 6, 7, 4, 2, 4, 3, 1, 8, 1, 4 2 successes

Epic was one way to look at it sure, but in the end, the one who won certainly wasn't Orpheus. Halo had pressed down before he had the time to do so much as put up a counter. He leans back, sighing, now what was he supposed to say to Toren and Gallows? "I came out second-best" didnt sound very good did it? Still, whats done is done. Being hurt over it won't help anything. "If you wanted epic, you should've watched me and Gallows play, that was pretty damn intense." he laughs a little, oddly taking things in stride. Offering a sportsmanlike handshake to the other player, congratulating him on taking the Chess compitition.

S
    Sabeleth

WTF? I won?!

Halo looked somewhat dumbfounded when Orpheus confirmed he didn't have a counter. He shook the offered hand with a slightly disbelieving smile on his face. "Sorry I missed it. Thanks for the game Orpheus, that was crazy."

Feeling rather stunned he stood up and took one last look at the board before going to report his victory. It turned out that all those games against the computer hadn't been wasted time after all!

S
    Sabeleth

As stunned as he was to get to the final, Halo was even more stunned to find he'd won the competition. Returning to the other competitors he smiled sheepishly. "Ah, I guess all those years of Star Wars chess weren't wasted?"

He was also pretty sure he'd just used up all of his natural luck for the year. Either that or there was a very confused Acanthus somewhere who had channelled all of his own luck into the wrong person.

Page 13 of 13 First ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
Closed Thread