11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(1209) AFD: Orpheus, Toren and West

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Presence •••

West
    Adamantine Arrow

PRE

West followed Toren's eyes and studied the door as he listened.

After a moment, he responded.

"So why does that matter?"

The question had the ring of honest curiosity, rather than dismissing the information. Surely there had to be some Paul Harvey-esque denouement beyond "but nobody knows why".
    Nimbus

Orpheus listenened curiously as Toren made his speech about a nine foot door. This guys gotta be an architect. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested not admiring architecture... He bemused to himself. West had already asked the question he was about to, so he added Isn't that the door where they thought human skin was sticking to it and it just turned out to be cow hide? There was a news article on it a couple years back I think. It was one of the things Orpheus didn't really pay attention to, but managed not to get sorted out of his memories.

"When a structure is built it is built with meaning behind it, West. Doors are symbols, often powerful ones, especially for churches, as they exude a grandeur that is embedded in the minds of those who pass through it. Over time there must have been so many souls touched by that door. Looking at this one just reminds me of the power a door can have. So being a doorman can be just as rewarding." Toren says encouragingly. When Orpheus includes his remark Toren looks surprised, "Why yes, Orpheus. I think I may have read that too. Tell me, are you a student of architectural history as well?" If so, he may have just made a new friend.

Presence •••

West
    Adamantine Arrow

PRE

While West would have happily discussed the military significance of the building during the mid fifteenth century, he had little interest in the door itself. It would only take a few minutes at the real door to learn that the entire "meaning" behind it was someone telling a carpenter to "make a thick door".

Interest faded in his eyes as Toren gave the non-answer to his question, and his thoughts went on auto-pilot as he listened to the conversation carry on.
    Nimbus

Man, this guy really loves his architecture... Orpheus was rather taken aback by how much Toren had to say about this door. Not wanting to display his thoughts, he responds with No, not really, I have photographic memory, I just happen to catch tidbits here and there and they stick. I could tell you how a building would fall apart if certain structural points were to explode, but that's as far as it goes. Orpheus laughs, almost sighing I spent years studying physics and science in general, trying to figure out what makes the universe tick, to then find out it was all a Lie. I can't complain though, better than staying a Sleeper. That much is true... he thinks to himself, taking a glance outside.

"Ah, but understanding the Lie isn't without merit," remarks Toren. "The mundane sciences provide their own insight into the Supernal," he explains to Orpheus without missing a beat. "Though some might say it's like studying shadows to discern the true form of things, but it's a fine tool in its own right. So you've studied physical sciences then? If you're ever curious about material studies I'd be happy to answer questions you have. Structural integrity and the makeup of common substances and whatnot."

Though he couldn't tell that West had lost his interest in the conversation, the silence that followed did suggest to him that perhaps he should move along to the events Vae had mentioned. "Well, anyways, I think I might join the crowd and see what I'll be able to learn from everyone. See you there." With a bob of his head that acted for a bow, Toren began to move away towards the central nave and the tables of refreshments.
    Toren returns to the main thread

Presence •••

West
    Adamantine Arrow

PRE

West returns Toren's leave-takings with a polite nod of his own.
    Nimbus

OOC

Orpheus nods appreciatively in regards to Toren's pep talk. Thanks, I didn't want to sound whiny but I guess it came out that way. As Toren walks away, He turns to West and asks So what's been happening lately? I heard some stuff about the consilium being a bit of a mess but that's it. Orpheus had a friend in New york that explained a little about the situation in Sacramento, but only as much as everyone else knew. From what he had heard, the Consilium was relatively new. Let's just hope new is as far as it goes, unstable is rather inconvenient for the community. He mused grimly.

Presence •••

West
    Adamantine Arrow

PRE

West gave an apologetic shrug.

"Dunno. The usual?"

While other men might have said more, after a few moments it is clear that is the entirety of what he has to say regarding both the Consilium and recent events.
    Nimbus

uhhh... That certainly wasn't the response the scientist had been expecting, nonetheless, that just went to show how interesting Sacramento was probably going to be.Asking him what the usual is is probably pointless... He had a feeling this straight to the point fellow commonly doesnt make for good conversation.In any case then, I think I'll head back inside. Nice meeting you West He ended with his habitual polite way. He turns towards the door and begins walking inside What an odd guy...

Orpheus returns to main thread

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread