Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

After the Tour

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last

Hmm, Devouring Worm? Not sure if I've heard of that one...

Chase blinks during the slight pause and then clears his throat, taking the hint, "Ehem, yes, well my knowledge is limited to my sire's instruction, but typically the Oathsworn are next in rank, followed by those with deeper knowledge of the Coils, or if the difference in such knowledge is uncertain than the most well-respected. I imagine the next in terms of seniority is yourself, Supplicant Villiers."

His smile gains an equally playful quality to it before he continues. "As knowledge and understanding are highly valued among our order we adhere to the use of titles when associating with each other as I'm sure you've surmised by now. The components of which..." Chase trails off as he glances to Martha, passing the proverbial baton.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Nodding to modestly acknowledge Chase's mention that she might be the next most senior, she then smiles and takes the baton, "The components of which each address an area of study and weakness of the Beast and flesh...these Coils of the Dragon each reflect a method and philosophy of study of the Great Work. These Coils of the Dragon helps us, slowly but surely, unlock the potential we possess for overcoming the various weaknesses, physical, psychic and spiritual, which are common to our Kind and which would otherwise increase the potential for our disaster at the claws of the Beast. Each Coil allows us to hold tighter to the reins of the Beast. By this massive step of understanding and effort we take greater charge of our personal destiny. Make no mistake: each Coil requires dedicated study and hard work to fathom and finally put to operation. To acknowledge this study and effort, each advance with the Coils of the Dragon is identified in the forms of titles of address...a Slave has no knowledge of any Coil...a Supplicant has knowledge of one element of the Coils. Next in depth of knowledge and study is a Scribe. They possess understanding of two aspects of the Coils. A Scholar possesses knowledge of three...and so on. Each advancement in rank is thus: Slave, Supplicant, Scribe, Scholar, Initiate, Adept, Master, Philosopher...and now we reach almost legendary heights of learning and then you may be addressed as Illuminus and finally, when ones knowledge becomes comprehensive, Architect. Each Coil, as I hinted, has a name befitting the area of study..." her smile remains, but something in speaking the names of ranks of power and learning has made her less obviously playful, though her nod to Chase suggests she is handing the baton back...
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

"Each of these philosophies of learning are lovingly referred to as the Coils of Blood, Banes, and Beast. Though since coming to Sacramento I've become aware there are even more Coils than these. Their teachings are easily deduced by their descriptors. The domain of Blood of course refers to how well as kindred we manage our consumption of the precious lifeblood from mortals. Of this I am proud to say I have a base understanding. By adapting my vampiric body through honed training and force of will I am able to limit my consumption without giving in to the maddening hunger of our condition. And as such I am Supplicant of the Hunger."

Chase could perhaps elaborate more on this and the other domains but such knowledge shouldn't be given away so easily. Better to give a taste and have them come back for more.

PRE

Tracy paid close attention as both Martha and Chase spoke, trying to absorb as much information as she could. Some of the things they said were still a little confusing to the Gangrel, but she figured that he could always ask questions at a later point. Or maybe, she could read some of the books in the library that would explain things in more detail. Well, at least she was beginning to get a better understanding of the titles and hierarchy of the Order.

She nodded along as each of the Supplicants spoke, trying to follow what each of them said as best as she could. At times like this, she wished she kept a notebook to take some notes. Still, the petite redhead continued to paid close attention to what was being said. For now, it was her turn to listen and learn, later she'd be able to ask further questions of them.

So many titles...it may take me a little while to memorize them all...

Once they were done explaining some of the basics to her, Tracy offered a polite nod and a grateful smile. "Thank you," she said to both Martha and Chase. "That was certainly educational. A lot of information to take in, but useful nonetheless!" Her smile widened slightly, a sincere gesture to the Kindred around her.

"Just to make sure I have this right," said the petite Savage, prefacing what she was about to say. "Grand Wyrm Heinz talked to me a little about the goals of the Order. From what he has told me and what you two have said, my understanding is that the study of the Coils is what aids us in the quest for transcendence, right? Ways of overcoming the weaknesses of our vampiric condition, with the ultimate goal being able to reach some sort of..." she paused for a moment, searching for the right words. "Evolved state of being?"

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

While both her superiors in the order explained the basic titles in use to Tracy Burns, Aileen tried to use one of the memory tricks she was trying to get the hang of. She tried to split her mind, and have one totally focused on the unconscious carving of the events in the deep memory, while the other drove the body and conscious mind. Regardless of its relative success, it wasn't her turn to speak, and the Shadow kept her quiet until her opinion would be queried.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha nods happily and is clearly enjoying the question and answer session. "Quite so...quite so. The Coils are one method of many of bringing about these changes and transformations. More than that, the Coils are also waymarkers that plot the track of each transformation. Change is important. Though only change that has purpose. Change without purpose is...I do not wish to say futile. Though change without intended purpose is more likely to have little in the way of positive outcome or results." turning to Chase and playing with one of her twin tails Martha asks, "Would you agree, Supplicant Ankers? Would you add anything to this?" she seems genuinely to want to know what Chase thinks on this matter.
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

"Change is inevitable, regardless of purpose," says Chase cooly. "However, without purpose one can never achieve desired change. If you do not arm yourself against nature's elements then you will fall beneath them."

After saying so Chase looks quickly to Martha, "Not that your interpretation is without merit, of course. I quite agree, change is important. I think of the Coils as a necessary defense against ourselves, each other, and the world at large. And one can never be too careful or prepared." His words were more a warning, that the Ordo's teachings were as much a tool of survival as a method of convenience. And certainly as he said them he hoped to take the advice to heart quite soon.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Quite so, Supplicant Ankers!" Playing with one of her twin tails, Martha nodded in overall agreement with Chase. A smile and then she looked to the two new Slaves to see their reaction to this theme and, with another smile and adjustment of her spectacles, try to invite questions.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Change is all I ask for, believe me. did faintly answer Aileen after the long speech of the Supplicants.And I do have a purpose too. So all I need now is more work, and perhaps some tips here and then.

What I am most interested into now is the protection of my mind. Perhaps you can then see the reason of my current studies ?

PRE

Tracy listened to their words, nodding along and continuing to absorb as much information as she could. She couldn't help but smile a little when she realized that she wasn't completely off base with her own statements. The redheaded Slave paid close attention as Martha elaborated on what she had said, and then turned to Chase as he piped up as well.

"Gotcha," said the petite Gangrel with a smile. "So it seems that the first thing I'd need to do before embarking on my own study of the Coils is to consider what sort of changes I'd be interested in pursuing, and why." She paused, considering her own words for a moment before speaking again. "It does sound like one must find a purpose for their pursuit first," she added with a nod before turning her attention to listen to Aileen.

Protecting her mind? Hmm, maybe it isn't shyness...perhaps it is paranoia? Then again, it isn't paranoia if someone is really out to get you...so I wonder if she's in trouble of some sort. Hmm, maybe I can help?

Page 4 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread