Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
(1206) David and Nathaniel

Nathaniel turned slowly, the aimless thoughts of flower arrangements fading as he found himself in the company of the Hierophant of the Circle. His Beast detected no challenge from the simply dressed fellow, and thus continued to eye him warily.

"Good evening, Hierophant Silver. Nathaniel de l’Aubespine, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He inclined his head politely, before continuing onward "I trust this evening finds you well?"

The Spider did not recall ever having spoken with one of the Circle prior to his meeting this evening, and found himself wondering exactly what a hierophant was. Certainly, he knew the root of the word, and what it should mean, but he had found that Kindred tended to associate their own meanings to words, regardless of historical definition.

It was rather crass, all things considered.

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

David nods politely in response. "A pleasure for me as well. Circumstances notwithstanding, yes, I am well this eve. The Summer Solstice still hangs heavy over us." David says sadly, though when he speaks of the summer solstice, his voice becomes more animated.

Is Aubuspine a region of france? or perhaps a village? An oversight to focus solely on the mediterranean lineages. I wonder if he knows of the Celtic deities; perhaps Aubuspine is related to Aufaniea? No, unlikely.
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

"Does it now?" he paused, scratching his chin slightly "Yes, I suppose it is that time of year, it feels as though the seasons move so swiftly these days. I believe it was Paracelsus who said that 'Time is a brisk wind'. That aside, I must admit that the significance of the event is lost on me. Does the solstice hold some special meaning to the Circle, Hierophant Silver?" He asked with earnest curiosity. His own understanding of such occult matters was woefully lacking. His was a mind firmly rooted in the rational, and it failed to grasp any underlying significance of a minor and temporary shift in the planets axial tilt.

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

"But who can measure and understand its sharp breath, its mystery and design. I always preferred the later half of that quote, always something more to learn. " David's face twists into a smile, he seems genuinely pleased about Nathaniel's line. "To answer your question, the Summer Solstice brings a period of mourning. It marks the transition from year to year, and serves as the time where we remember all those who have met their final death. The dominance of the sun at this point is the initial inspiration, but the Crone's understanding of death that creates the holy night. Like time, we chase after the shadows of understanding that she has, and in those shadows we find knowledge."
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

Nathanial was only just successful in keeping the dumb-strick look of amazement off of his face. He hadn't been expecting the quote to be recognised, let alone completed. Had this been anything other than an execution, he would have gladly entered into a discourse on the topic of the long dead physician and his relevancy to modern society.

But no, now was not the time. He simply smiled widely, nodding as the Mekhet noted his preference for the extended quote, and his take on it.

"I see. Thank you for sharing, Hierophant Silver. Certainly, that makes this evenings... intended purpose, rather ominous." He remarked with a somber tone as he glanced at the platform, half wondering if the date for this execution had been chosen for that very symbolism. He let his gaze dwell on the platform as he tried to consider where to take the conversation at hand. The Spider had no desire to offend a man who may well be able to tell the difference between Cicero and Socrates. He had found such fellows to be few, and far between.

Sorry for the delay!

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

"A being who could have lived forever, an immortal, is set to die tonight. Can the evening be anything less than ominous?"

I wonder if he knows Greek. If he does, does he follow the Pantheon?

"I am happy to share some of what I know of the Goddess and Circle with others. If you ever want to learn more, please feel free to call me."
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

Nathanial nodded, though he didn't particularly agree with the sentiment. The eternal stasis of the Kindred was a poor substitute for immortality, nor was it particular impressive in either case. Lobsters were theoretically immortal, was every helping of sea food an ill omen?

He pushed the thought aside. Even now, his mind wasn't what you could consider open, but it certainly wasn't that narrow. He smiled a pleasant smile, and his tone was genuine.

"Thank you, Hierophant Silver. I must admit, I am more a student of science than the esoteric, but knowledge in all its forms is a welcome commodity" he remarked, giving a polite nod of thanks to the Mekhet. The Spider was not a good judge on such matters, but it seemed to him that the conversation had reached its natural conclusion. He gave the Hierophant another pleasant smile, wondering if there was any specific purpose behind the discussion, beyond the simple desire to meet with new faces in the domain.

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

"Indeed it is, I look forward to speaking with you more some other time, especially about the sciences. I admit, it is a topic I know quite little of. It was a pleasure to speak with you."

Davd gives the man a polite nod, before wandering off.
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

"Likewise, Hierophant Silver. Let us speak again, some other time." Remarked the Spider, returning the nod.

Closed Thread