Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Drinks with the Deacon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    s
    shotgunlo

The Written-in-Water was filling up with a lunch time rush of people. Seemed to mainly be nurses from across the street at Sutter Medical, many of which were probably sent over by patients who were bored. Nice captive, rotating customer base Chambitas mused.

Chambitas wore a brown blazer with leather-patched elbows and a yellow shirt. His tie was brown festooned with little white whales. Brown slacks and leather shoes. A white carnation boutonniere on his lapel out of habit.

He had no idea whom to look for. The Consilium needs to get a proper meeting house. At least this time he had a name to go from, @Lux (@fool ). A quick text message so she'd know who to look for.

First, coffee, extra sugar. If @Lux responds to the text message he'll gladly place her order as well.

ooc

Lux

PRE

Chambitas received the brief reply "Will arrive soon," but nothing else. Not long afterwards, however, a short young woman in a black pant suit, complemented by a deep cerulean blouse, stepped away from the cafe line, a drink in hand, and strode directly up to him.

"Mr. Gabaldon, I presume?"
    she asked, fixing him with a direct stare, the note of question more a formality. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Lux. Would you care to accompany to one of the study rooms? It's a bit less hard to hear, that way."
    Lux; Obrimos, Silver Ladder Deacon (status currently 2), Health: Full, WP: Full, Mana: 0

s
    shotgunlo

"Charmed, Senora," Roman responds with his broad smile, yet matching her gaze, "And please, I go by 'Chambitas' among friends."

Chambitas removes his boutonniere and offers it to Lux.

"Lead on to the study rooms."

Lux

PRE

"Gladly," she said, excepting the boutonniere with a nod and a smile that lent a bit more warmth to her gaze. She lead him through the book store, up to the astronomy section on the second floor, and then into a private room next to the cosmology texts. She opened the door for Chambitas and then followed him inside, making sure it was firmly shut.

"Well, Monsieur Chambitas, welcome to the Consilium of Sacramento, on behalf of the Silver Ladder,"
    Lux said, proffering a hand. "As I'm sure you know, I serve as the Deacon for this incarnation of the Ladder, but feel free to dispense with honorifics, unless that's your preference. It's always a pleasure to see another Thearch in the city. I apologize if things seemed a bit frosty in the cafe, but appearances must be kept to some degree," she continued with a small grin, moving around the table and sinking into a chair.

"Please, have a seat, and tell me a bit about yourself. I have to say I'm eager to learn of what's brought you to this city."
    Lux; Obrimos, Silver Ladder Deacon (status currently 2), Health: Full, WP: Full, Mana: 0

s
    shotgunlo

Relaxing considerably at the altered tone in private, Chambitas accepts Lux's handshake in a friendly and casual manner, not trying to overpower or intimidate, but not limp and lifeless either. After Lux sits, Chambitas does as well.

"Gracias, Senora Lux. You are most accommodating and your city has been eminently hospitable," Chambitas says with a large smile.

"I am recently from San Francisco, it is where I Awakened and was fostered. The city is most powerfully controlled by the Free Council. They do fine works, and I have the highest regard for them. However, it is not a city that has room to develop mages. I was encouraged to seek Sacramento where I might continue my education in the Ars Mysteriorum."

Chambitas sipped his coffee before continuing.

"I am a Warlock. I Awoke on the Path of the Iron Gauntlet. I am an Apprentice of Mind and Space. I have studied, which is quite rare I understand, some of the secrets of Matter to be an Apprentice of that arcanum as well. I have learned enough to be an Initiate of Fate. Currently I have been plumbing the depths of Prime, but have yet to make any powerful headway into that sphere. Of course these abilities of mine are at your disposal, should you need to make use of them."

Another sip.

"I am an entrepreneur. I own my own distribution firm for local brewers, vintners, and distillers to local clubs, bars, and restaurants. I also produce my own beer. As such I was keen to notice that the Consilium lacks a particular guild to protect the manufacturers. It may be that there aren't many others. I have met one, a delightful fellow named Cog ( loche ). But a city of this size probably has more. So I do not approach you to help me, Senora, but I offer my business services to you. I would like to, with your permission, organize a sort of chamber of commerce or better business bureau for the mages of Sacramento. Something that would be altogether separate from the Silver Ladder, to avoid any political entanglements, but would ultimately be useful in service to the goals of the Ladder."

"I had the good fortune by pure chance to meet a fellow Thearch named Gallows. A wonderful gentleman in my estimation. He said I should explain this plan to you to ensure it doesn't step on anyone's toes."

Chambitas finally takes a large drink of coffee to allow Lux a chance to comment or ask for further details.

Lux

PRE

"Oh good, I'm glad you've had a chance to meet Gallows. He's definitely one of the most dependable and intelligent in the Order; not to suggest that our other brothers aren't, but I know you understand my meaning. You sound like a no less impressive individual yourself, however, I am glad that you've joined us in Sacramento." She offered a brief smile, and then took a sip of tea, pausing enough for the unspoken 'but' to almost ring in the air.

"I find your business proposition intriguing. I do know that several in the Consilium are involved in trades and businesses, so a chamber of commerce, so to speak, would likely be welcome. However, I'm a bit confused on why you wish to have it remain deliberately separate from the Ladder. If it is because you wish to head it, and are worried that the position of leadership in such an organization might be doled out to another who has more seniority in our Order, you don't have cause to worry. Anyone who comes up with an idea may implement their brainchild as they see fit, and unless it is extraordinarily mismanaged I make sure no one interferes. That being said, I can understand why some things should be separate from political agendas, but the agenda of this organization is what, to improve conditions and help local Awakened businesses grow? If so, then it seems remarkably in line with our goals. You do know what the Precept of Star is, yes?"

s
    shotgunlo

"I am aware of the precept, Senora Lux, and I am glad you see that it melds with the goals of our Order. That it, afterall, my intent."

Chambitas pauses to sip his coffee.

"My hesitation to implement it as part of the Silver Ladder is not because I see it as necessarily distinctive in goal or scope, but I know that not everyone agrees with the Ladder as an organization and this would be a method to help overcome those objections. I am also unsure of the financial state of the local order, so I merely want to state what I plan will not at all be a drain on the Ladder's resources. I am also unfamiliar with the local order and thus wish to allay any suspicions of senior ranking members that I covet their position, nor do I wish to step on any toes if there are similar organizations fermenting or that I may have missed in my ignorance."

Chambitas smiles.

"Lastly, I am using this to gauge local interest in the concept. Perhaps this might not be the right fit for you, but you may know people I could contact about the idea. People otherwise unattached to a local cabal."

Chambitas picks up his coffee one more time and takes another small sip.

Lux

PRE

"Ah, I see. Well, I wouldn't be adverse to having such an organization appear to be independent, but I feel that it is something that we, as Thearchs, should be responsible for, and thus I would be opposed to specifically stating the two are independent. It's an excellent idea, however, and I think it will be something that will help put the idea of beneficial change into the air. Nonetheless, that is also why I'm of the opinion that this should be involved with the Ladder. After all, even if some don't agree with us, it might be possible to convince them that we are working to improve the Consilium; and, to be honest, I haven't heard or seen any anti-Ladder sentiment yet. Now, obviously I can't force you to involve the Ladder in this project, but perhaps consider re-examining the possibilities of involvement. If the Ladder was involved, for instance, we could even have the Order help support the finances until this chamber got on its feet. After all, this is a worthy cause that helps us forge a better community, and thus wouldn't be a drain on our funds.

"As for others who you might talk to, I'm afraid I can't specifically point to any one person, I've merely heard talk of such things, but perhaps if you posted some sort of notice in this building as well as put out word you could attract who you're looking for. I wish I could be of more help in that regard. Similarly, I do appreciate your forward thinking. New to the Consilium and already looking to spearhead a project. I am glad to see you here,"
    she finished, nodding respectfully to Chambitas despite her edged words earlier.

s
    shotgunlo

"You are exceedingly gracious, senora Lux. I thank you. I fully endorse your view now that I understand my concept will not be an imposition to the greater goals of the Ladder. I will continue developing the concept. I would like a chance to present it to the order as a whole. How often does the order meet? If it's not for a long time coming, perhaps I might be able to reach out to each thearch individually or in small groups."

Lux

PRE

Lux couldn't help but smile now that the conflict had passed. "Well, we unfortunately cannot meet as often as I would like, but in a month or so I will call a meeting, a more informal one, however. I'm sure you could broach this topic at that time, but perhaps approaching each of our brothers--and sister--individually would be a good idea. Certainly it would be a good way to meet them, and they could give you more information than just I on the different entrepreneurs and crafts-people within the Consilium."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.