Ended
Watch

Aileen McFarlane Glimpses

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

I was laying flat in the river Nile, content and at ease. My belly was full, and the gentle lapping of soft waves was comfortably massaging my scales. The full moon shed a pleasant light on the shores, and I could see the beautiful dunes, the trees and the birds whose chirping was music to my ears.

I laid there for a long time, for the moon's position had changed quite a lot by the time an odd sound occured to me. It was weak at first, but slowly started to replace the sound of the natural order. Birds stopped singing. The wind in the leaves started making another, crispier sound.

Opening my eyes, I saw a weird orange glow in the distance, and wondered whether it could already be dawn, but the moon immediatly disabused me. A flock of birds flew over my head away from it, and their agitation could only mean one thing. Fire !

Abruptly woken up from my slumber, I started swimming against the current and away from the fire. Something was odd. The harder I swam, the stronger the stream became, and even though I was making all due haste, the fire was catching me up. At first it was just its noise. Then its smell. Each time I felt a renewed vigor, and swam twice as hard, but as soon as I slowed down even the tiniest bit, it gained yards by the dozen on me.

Then it was its heat. Everything around me was now ablaze, and I was swimming in a rapidly heating Nile between shores of fire. I couldn't distinguish one thing, and felt like there were walls of fire on both sides, boiling water behind me, and an unsurpassable stream ahead !

And behold! I saw a great falcon wheeling in the flame rimmed skies above! And on the shores of the great river, where water bubbled and the harvest was but a wall of flame, a great lion stalked. They saw me not!

But I was Sobek, God of Nile, and I wouldn't be so easily subdued. Gathering all the strength I had been given, I swam down to the riverbed, where the water was cooler and still bearable, and moved on again. Above me, I could see that the surface of the river was now afire too ! Devilry !!

Ahead and above, I saw a patch free from the accursed thing, and I quickly swam up to it to catch some breath. But what did I see around me !!! A necropolis sprang from the very earth, casting aside boiling mud and water in a rush that sounded like a prayer. Ancient was this place of the dead, with great pillars rising to the sky. And on these pillars, an Eagle. And under the Eagle's wings the land did not perish nor the river burn, even as the Black Land was cast into the fire and turned as to ash! And in the silence of the waste, a Falcon cried and a Lion roared.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Thanks to YYC for the help !

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

If Aïleen had still had any lingering illusion that she would survive the fight, they were now gone. The whirlwind of blades and cruelty in front of her was not abating in the least, and seemed indeed even more intent than before on seeing her ripped to pieces, if that glaze was any indication. And to say she had feared Fire so much... how ironic...

With no real fight left in her, the Shadow still tried to cling to life and stagger toward the mouth of the room. She still had so much to do. David...

"Wait ! I hid it !" she said pleading for her un-life, and hoping against all hope it would deter the woman from severing her head.

So it is true... Your final second seems to last for an eternity, indeed, stretching so much that you can replay your whole life in your head. I can see the blade that will cut my life short move inch by inch toward my neck, unable to do a thing about it, and yet I feel like I have eons before me, before that inescapable moment.

Eons... how do you fill eons's worth of thoughts, really ? Especially when there are only three things on your mind ?

The first and the second are two facets of the same piece, really. Fear. Faith. At that moment, I will know what the Creator has in stock for me. Will I have done as He pleased ? Or will I be truly forsaken, as some say ? This dreaded moment is looming closer inch by inch.

Hush, Sobek ! Your wailing and flailing amounts to nothing now. So let me think some more, for even eons pass.

Regret. Love. David. Different words. Same emotion. I have spent my life doing what was expected from me. By my parents. By my Sire. By God. And in all of it, I have found little consolation. It was only when I had done something truly personal that I finally experienced elation. David. Would that I could have spent those eons spanning this final moment with you. I can see it all, now, and I'm all the more saddened that you couldn't live them. You will fell pain, I know it. And not only will I not be there to comfort you, but I will be the cause of it. I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you how much you've changed my life, nor how thankful I am that I have met you. If only for a short while there, and long eons now.

But eons too must come to pass.

I can feel the cold on my neck...

And so...

3. Likes Chrisie, Wod.Infant liked this post
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread