Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Seneschal) Session Hours 3

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    A
    Ariana Donovan

It was never a surprise to find Ariana working or reading paperwork and keeping an eye on her laptop from time to time. She was dressed in a black pencil skirt with a black jacket and white blouse with a brooch on the lapel. Her office was set up quaint. @Conner Greyson was also in his office and not far down the hall. With the Shadow's acute hearing, not much got past him. It was the Avalon after all.

The office of the Seneschal is neat and organized. A framed picture on the wall was rather large which was probably a gift from someone, much like the necklace she wore as well as a ring on her right hand. There were a few of books on etiquette, writing and a few books on psychology. Several biographies on journalists including a book on Roxana Seberi. There were several high back chairs and an office style sofa with which could easily accommodate more than a few people. Her door was open, since she did not mind drop ins. Tonight, Ariana was on her laptop writing. There were notes upon her desk as well as a tablet computer laying beside her.

A distinct shift in atmosphere occurred within the office of the Seneschal of Sacramento as Daedalus Vathek appeared within the open doorway, preceded by the everpresent aura of unease which so surrounded the Haunt. He looked to be within his mid 30s, short blond hair which was just long enough to look disheveled, his hard features lightly covered in stubble. His clothing looked ragged and worn, black cargo pants with leather patches amateurishly stitched over the knees, an old bomber jacket over a grey undershirt covering his torso. A cheap walking cane was gripped tightly within his left hand, and with his right he lightly knocked on the door.
    Perhaps the most striking feature of the Haunt was his eyes. The left was dead, milky-white, and his right showed only a small tinge of hazel, otherwise filled with the same cloudy substrate as its twin.

"Excuse me" spoke the quiet voice in what seemed like a vaguely British accent "Is there anybody available to meet with?"

His Beast raged, wanting nothing more than to turn tail and flee. But he ignored it, snapping back at the eyeless animal. He had expected to meet with a domain official, and anticipated a Beast more potent than his own. He refused to let the clash of will show upon his face, remaining silently near the door as he awaited an answer. With his good eye he squinted at the women before him, but could only make out the vague shape from this distance.

A
    Ariana Donovan

As Ariana had been typing away, she suddenly stopped at the press of the new beast in the hallway. Her own wanted to charge the door but she held it at bay by focusing on saving what she was doing. And then he knocked on the door of her office…

The Lordess heard the knock and looked over to the sound. The room suddenly felt strange and noisy but nothing her ears picked up, it was what she felt. Then her eyes looked to the man’s and her eyebrows raised slightly. Is he looking at me, or is he blind? Ariana did see the cane and assumed he was, but it still felt like she was being watched. Yet the Lordess did not like to assume and she chastised herself for doing so. Albeit sometimes it was hard not to have an off guard reaction. It subtly reminded her of Sidor’s shadowed face. All happened within a split second and the Lordess rose with a smile on her face and in her voice.

Her voice remained pleasant and welcoming. “Please come in. I am Madam Seneschal Ariana Donovan. Is there something I may help you with Mr….?” Ariana’s head searched for his name with her words and slight movement of her head. Yet she could not take her eyes off his own.

The Haunts expressions were minimalistic; his smile but a slight curvature of the lips. He nodded his head in recognition of her invitation, and began moving slowly towards one of the highback office chairs. There was no limp in his stride, rather, it was as though the simple act of walking took the majority of his concentration. His steps were careful and deliberate, leaning hard on his cane as he moved forward.

"Ah. Then this is a most fortuitous meeting" *Tap*step..step..step*Tap* "I go by Daedalus Vathek, of the Ord-" he paused, both midstep and midsentence "...Ah, I should ask first, do the walls have ears, or may we speak freely?"

Regardless of the answer, Daedalus took the offered seat, easing himself into it slowly. He turned his face so that his good eye was facing the Seneschal, the distance almost short enough that he could make out details as minor as facial expressions. He squinted again for a moment, trying to complete a mental image of the women.

"I am sorry" spoke the quiet voice in its usual reserved tone "I have dealt with the Unconquered before, but never within their own domain. How would you prefer I address you?"

A
    Ariana Donovan

The Lordess realized her deduction was correct as she watched Daedalus tap his way to a seat. “Yes you may speak freely Mr. Vathek. You are in the Avalon Elysia the Masquerade is safe in our lower levels.” She smiled reassuringly. There were times such as these were she was unsure to offer assistance or let the man before her ask if he needed it. As she watched him take his seat, she realized he was capable for now.

Then she suddenly realized none of their items were in Braille. Ariana did wonder how Dirge managed around Domain despite having a guide dog. “You may call me Madam Seneschal Donovan, please. Thank you for asking.” She paused a moment and watched the pattern of his eye movements. The Lordess had been around blind people before, but not quite like this. Most often their eyes were constantly searching. Daedalus’ continued to look to her and she wondered if he trained himself to move his eyes to the sound of a voice. “What brings you to Sacramento Mr. Vathek? Will you be staying long or just passing through?” Her voice remained pleasant and welcoming despite feeling a little unnerved to his presence within her office.

"You are welcome, Madame Seneschal Donovan" replied the quiet voice "I apologise for not sending prior notice of my arrival, I lacked the means to do so" he stated bluntly, his tone perfectly even.

The Haunt paused for a brief moment as he chewed over his reply. His standard answer was simple, but his condition had developed to the point where it was no longer earnest. He could no longer hide it behind pure bravado, he knew he was unable to travel much further. It was hard to tell how long he had left at this point, but he was lucky to have made it this far. In the end, he knew full-well what would happen should he lose what little sight he had left in transit between domains.

"Ah. I am on a pilgrimage, of sorts, Madame Seneschal Donovan. It is related to my work within the Ordo Dracul. Under normal circumstances I would request leave to remain within this Domain, for a period lasting no longer than a month. If it is permissible, however, I would like to request the right to dwell here longer, perhaps."

His eyes stared blankly forward, and his countenance gave no hint as to his thoughts. The man looked about as alive as a marble statue, albeit one who had mugged a street youth for its clothes.

A
    Ariana Donovan

“That is quite alright Mr. Vathek.” The Lordess stated sincerely, yet she wondered if his inability to do so were the eyes she watched reflexively.

As he stated the Dragons, it now clearly made sense as to what he previously cut himself off from saying. “That sounds rather intriguing. There are many who come here for either a pilgrimage or to find a new place to spend their Requiem. Some often enjoy the change of scenery as other places become mundane.” The Lordess carried on conversely with a smile heard in her tone. “Yes it is quite permissible to remain here that long. I will go over our Domain laws in a moment.”

While she spoke, Ariana pulled a few pieces of paper and laid them before her. It was easy enough to hear that it was only paper. “First, if I may Mr. Vathek, could you tell me a little more about yourself?” She sat forward in her chair awaiting his response.

"Certainly" stated the quiet voice "I am of Clan Nosferatu, though I suspect you may have already guessed as to that affiliation." There was no trace of sarcasm in his tone, nor any malice or ill-will in his inflection. It, in the same manner as the rest of his speech, was all but completely devoid of emotion. Eerily so.

"Ah. But it would seem I have inherited my Sire's Baddacelli blood. My requiem is yet young, and began in the sewers beneath the town of Branson, in the state of Missouri. I have visited numerous domains in the past year, but as my vision has degraded my capacity for travel has lessened...There is little else for me to add, Madame Seneschal Donovan, though if you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them." He listed each fact in his usual taciturn manner, his expression blank and unchanging.

He turned his head towards the papers she held, but he could make out little even from such a short distance. That, more than anything, frustrated the young Haunt. A scholar who could not read was no different from a lame horse. His expression shifted ever so slightly. His jaw seemed to clench, but quickly returned to its usual state, a momentary glimpse into the frustrations of Daedalus Vathek.

A
    Ariana Donovan

Ariana listened to the quiet and seemingly monotone voice of Daedalus. It was unlike Ben Stein’s voice or another she had heard. There may have been no depth to it, but that was the difficult part. It was blank in a way that was uneasy. “Thank you Mr. Vathek. I should inform you that your Priscus is Sidor Grigoriev, Deputy of Sacramento and Bishop of the Lancea Sanctum. Grand Wyrm Max Heinz is also another individual whom you should contact as well.” The Lordess paused for a moment. “If you would like me to arrange a meeting for you with either or both of them, I would be happy to do so.” She offered with an inviting tone.

The Lordess continued listening while he stated his blood and his origins. The curse of the Haunts affected them all in many ways. Some a travesty to one’s survival in a requiem, she thought. “What sort of pilgrimage are you on, if I may ask.” Her hand went up in a gentle surrender, but her voice made note as well. “If you are unable to discuss it, I certainly understand. Covenants have their secrets of course. I only ask in case there is something I am able to do for you as well.” A grin graced her face as she offered to aid him. Yet as she spoke, she saw him trying to look through the papers and knew it would be easier to read them to Daedalus.

"If possible, I would greatly appreciate it were you able to arrange a meeting with Priscus Grigoriev, and Grand Wyrm Heinz. Ah. For indeed, I had been hoping to meet with my Priscus this evening, should he prove available, to discus the more mundane matters of my stay here." stated the Haunt quietly, giving a nod of gratitude in the direction of the Seneschal.

"I am unsure of how much you know regarding our order, Madame Seneschal Donovan. On a fundamental level, we pursue internal change. Each of us approaches this different, I found the method of divorcing myself from the external via constant motion to be most useful. I fear there was little else to my pilgrimage, I simply sought to learn from those abroad, and to avoid stagnation as best I could."

"Ah. But I do thank you, for the offer, Madame Seneschal Donovan. It was most kind." A second nod of gratitude, and his face shifted into a slight smile. Daedalus was quite impressed. Certainly, he had no doubt she found his presence as unnerving as any other, but she had the grace to mask it well. Her motions were blurred, but he managed to get the vague impression of a smile, or perhaps a grin. Few bothered to hide their contempt, and fewer still would do so behind a smile and kind words.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.