Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(1205) Chase and Nathanial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Ignoring the urgings of the animal within, the Spider greeted his cousin with a smile, rather than with his fangs. The smile was trying to be warm, but it didn't quite seem to know exactly how to go about doing that. The result simply looked awkward, but he didn't much care. Afterall, it was the thought which counted.

He had dressed modestly, by his standards. Standard black tie, his clothing crisp and clean. The only notable exemption was the lack of a bow-tie, his attempt at seeming 'casual'.

"Likewise, Supplicant Ankers. I do hope this evening finds you well." Stated the Lord in a polite, but friendly tone, silently hoping that he had managed to recall the title correctly.

Chase's smile persists though has far better affect, the anxiety fading from his grimaced expression as he is well met. "Ah, how kind of you to remember that humble honorific. You needn't trouble yourself with such things. It is merely an aspect of my association with the Ordo Dracul. Outside of that it is no more significant than 'Mister'. All the same this evening finds me very well. My thanks, dear cousin. So how do you find Sacramento now that you've had time to settle into the steady rhythms of its heartbeat?"

Since the February Court Chase had seen very little of the aristocratic Lord, but was eager to learn more about him and his interests.

The Lord's smile seemed slightly less forced as they advanced past the pleasantries and into normal conversation.

"Whichever you prefer, Mister Ankers." He was unsure of Ordo protocol, but he had no real desire to offend his charming cousin. If he wished to be addressed in a specific manner, the Malocusian was content to do so.

He scratched his chin for a moment as he contemplated his answer, a small physical display of the inner workings of his mind. It was not a particulary easy question for one who had spent most of his time devoted to his studies.

"Sacramento...It is an interesting Domain. Far more vibrant than what I am used to, I fear. The genius loci of the city is quite energetic, you may even go as far as to call it chaotic. But It certainly captures the zeitgeist of this particular era. And your thoughts, Mister Ankers?"

Chase noticed the man exercised a controlled way of speaking, his choice of wording distinct and intentional. But this was likely due to the Lord's practiced mind reminding Chase that he still viewed the world from a limited perspective. But in no way did Chase seem offended by these words. "Ah, well I'll agree with you on that, even as most cities go it is dynamic. It has in it aspects of culture, history, and elements of nature, each ready to be sampled. Though I was raised here in my mortal youth I still hadn't taken the time to get to know the city completely so it still has surprises for me, even more so since the Embrace."

Chase runs his hands idly through the blonde locks of hair that fall across his face, brushing them back behind an ear. He wonders how best to phrase his next question. "So tell me, sir, have you resolve your differences with our Madam Herald since nights past? I only ask since I've found myself being mindful of my own speech since that little misunderstanding. It was certainly interesting, that conversation. I've not seen that side of Herald Villiers before."

Nathan listened quietly as Chase spoke of his home city, his face both impassive and motionless. He was, however, genuinely interested.

His answer to that question was simple, given in a tone hinting at his subtle amusement with the topic.

"Ahh yes, I have spoken with the Herald Villiers several times since our meeting at Court. I believe the matter to have been resolved, without ill-will on either side."

He found the way his cousin had so carefully worded that question most droll, as if he expected the mere mention of that little disturbance would sour the Spider's mood. Regardless, there was little room to carry on that particular conversation, unless the Supplicant had something further to ask.

"Would you care to tell me more about the Ordo, Mr. Ankers? I find myself rather curious."

"Ah, that's good to hear," remarked Chase on the resolved matter. "I expected as much from two sensible kindred." He had hoped there would be more to it than that, but it seemed to be water under the bridge.

With the mention of his Covenant Chase clasped his hands together eagerly. He had pride in his station as a Dragon and so wished to express it when asked to. "The Ordo Dracul? Well there is much to tell indeed, though even more so I cannot. The dogma that surrounds the order is believed to have been originally founded by Vlad Tepes, the famed Dragon of Romania. Whether or not this is true has no baring on the fact that the rituals and practices are themselves quite proven. It is at its core a society of those who embrace change and growth, attempting to transcend the vampiric state. We study the curse for which we are afflicted and turn it to our favor."

That in itself Chase considered general knowledge. The details and teachings themselves were far more intricate and extreme. "Did you have something in particular that interests you concerning the Ordo Dracul?" he asked, pressing the Lord for more inquiries.

What was general knowledge for his cousin was new ground for the Spider, and so he filled the description away in his mental vault. The Covenants had no real presence in his homeland, and his sire had never particular bothered with that facet of his education.

"My curiosity was purely pragmatic, Mister Ankers. I find it much easier to understand people if I have some grasp on their underlying motivations. As I understand it, this domain has several well-established members within the Ordo Dracul. Hence, it seemed logical to inquire. If you do not mind indulging the curiosity of an old scientist, Mister Ankers, I do have a few specific questions. I promise not to ask about anything too...esoteric." A pleasant smile followed, the Spider was clearly beginning to enjoy this conversation.

"If I may ask, you mentioned both rituals and study. Does the Ordo Dracul take a scientific approach when looking at this 'curse', or do you seek more occult answers?" The Lord was still trying to form a clear picture of the organisation. Was it a group of would-be occultists playing with Ouija board's, or did they take a more modern, scientific approach in their study?

"Ah, I can see the point you're implying. Where indeed does the line cross between science and mysticism. Well that I cannot say from personal experience. I believe there are biological reasons as well as a more unorthodox methodology. But the Ordo's teachings can also offer a sturdy philosophy for how to live one's unlife. The search for change and self-betterment for instance. I myself am a product of this new millennium, this digital age and immerse myself in technologies of information procurement. Such professions are common among our members, be it medicine, psychology, or historian. It does not require an occult knowledge-base to embrace these ways, though it helps to keep an open mind." Chase gestured with his hand, turning it over from the wrist in his mild explanation. As much as he liked to talk about the Ordo and himself, he wasn't making much progress learning about Nathaniel.

"But you're a man of Science, yes? That is of great interest to me. What sort of sciences do you prefer to study?" he asked, hoping to reveal more of his background.

"We could say that Clarke's third law comes into effect, no? 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'. So, would it then be apt to define the Ordo Dracul as equal parts philosophy and pseudoscience?" He asked earnestly in a friendly tone. There was no venom behind the word pseudoscience, its use was simply as a label attached to the ideal Chase had described.

"Me? Well, it is just a hobby I have been dabbling in for the last century or so. I have no real preference, per say, but Physics has been the most interesting field in the past few decades. The Kine seem to be advancing so swiftly as of late" he gave a low chuckle, before continuing in a rather amused tone "Rather droll, really. Some papers I had been working on got leaked, oh, about twelve years back now I suppose. Now they tell me I advanced the field of Thermodynamics by leaps and bounds." He could still recall the expression on his Sire's face, she had been less than pleased.

"Many would say that we have already achieved a transcendence of sorts, Mister Ankers, simply by evolving beyond the mortal coil. Certainly, this is so if we were to view our condition as a logical extension of the ideal Ubermensch that Nietzsche so ominously proclaimed. If I may ask, where does your trancendence lead, Mister Ankers? Is it a denial of our current state, or an expansion perhaps?" The question posed was not an easy one, but the Spider relished the chance for such an exchange. His cousins answer would tell him much, both about about the man himself, and the covenant he represented.

The question didn't linger long in Chase's mind before he had a response, though Chase was impressed by how learned his cousin was in both philosophy and science. He had no knowledge of physics whatsoever except perhaps the subtle electric charges in computer circuitry. "Personally I would say expansion rather than denial, but I believe some may say otherwise. Like so many things the results are based on the effort applied. One could perhaps deny their hunger out of shame of their condition or enhance it, making each moment of nourishment more long-lasting. But your question is an important one. Is it a curse or a blessing this eternal state of being? I am young in this game and so my voice is the least worthy to answer. But I feel that it is a question each kindred should seek clarity in. Do we cling to our humanity, do we enhance our monstrous state? Perhaps both, perhaps neither, perhaps we are all trying to wake up to our true selves, embracing all the aspects of our soul, becoming whole beings."

Chase clears his throat a moment, allowing a pause. "Of course the soul itself being a product of pseudoscience." It was not a snide comment, but put in perspective that much of these introspective queries rested on the acceptance of a supernatural concept.

All in all Chase is pleased, the man sharing much of himself in his descriptions. Certainly there must be more in that. "Still, an accomplished scientist with so much experience behind you, that is quite noteworthy. With such a vast realm of knowledge perhaps you've no need for such deviations. Please, tell me more about the applications of your scientific progress," he requested earnestly. Would such skills have baring on the modern world? What did one do with physics behind the curtain. Clarke's third law yet again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread