Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 18
DISPLAYED
(1205) Chase and Nathanial

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

"You are too modest, Mister Ankers. Age does not need necessitate wisdom, and few could give an answer quite as eloquent." Stated the Malocusian bluntly. It had been quite some time since he had had the opportunity to discuss matters of philosophy, and he was quite enjoying himself.

The remark about the soul caused the Spider to produce another low chuckle "Heh, I am inclined to agree, Mister Ankers, though I suspect several in this room would be less than pleased to hear of such talk." His Sire had once remarked that undeath brought out the worst in people, and in some that meant religious fundamentalism.

"If one wished to be poetic, it would be apt to call a scientist a catalyst for change...for growth. If you are asking after practical applications then I fear I must disappoint you this time, for there is a reason they send soldiers to war rather than chemists. But it is those same chemists who design the propellants used in their firearms, who create the bombs needed to level cities. Every single piece of technology in this world, be it a simple club or perhaps one of those 'smart-phones', came about due to the machinations of those we today call scientists...

...But that is common enough knowledge, you asked after my own research, yes? My own work is diverse. I have written papers on superconductors, on the entropic heat death of this universe and on chaos theory. Were I to simply list each thesis over the past few decades we would still be standing here in a few nights time. But much of what I do is purely theoretical, and even that I prefer to keep away from the Kine. In that regards, the applications are...limited
    ."

Nathaniel was most likely quite right in the danger of Chase being frivolous with his words. He then noticed that it may have been that same reason that Nathaniel worded his phrases so carefully, to speak his mind while giving as little offense as possible. It was a wonder how he could have offended the Herald at all with his wordplay. "Ah, yes, well I suppose you're correct. I'll be more careful in my turn of phrase," admitted Chase cautiously.

He wondered if the analogy of war was intentional or merely the simplest to understand as he listened to Monsieur l’Aubespine's explanation. Perhaps he meant to suggest that most practical applications used by the kine were warlike in nature without saying as much. Chase nodded his understanding of the man's reluctance to go into more details. He would reply much the same way if he were to ask him about data management systems and low-level language programming. One could only work within the conceptual on short notice.

"I see. Well theory, much like spiritualism, is a search for the unknown or unexplained, is it not? Ah, but of course scientific theory is still based on scientific foundations. But there is some truth in their similarities, would you agree? At least if you devise the reason for this search is for truth and understanding. But all knowledge, regardless of its source should have some applied purpose, since it is action in which one defines themselves."

Chase too was quite enjoying this meeting of the minds. Such different fields yet this Lord shared with him the same passion of understanding. What was the reason for his search for truth? Was it the same as Chase's? Probably not. His interests in computer was more a tool than a passion. Information was the true key, the power to set himself above the rest. And in that, Nathaniel seemed all the more impressive.

"Indeed it is. When considering scientific theory it is perhaps best to use metaphor. Theory is simply the schematics used to plan our development beyond the realm of hypothesis and into what we call a Law, of sorts. It is much like the designs used in the development of a new motorcar, or house. The plans themselves are worthless without the foundations, but the core components derive meaning only from the intended purpose. The best planed motorcar in the world will not move unless one has invented a engine, but what call is there to invent the engine without the plans for a motorcar? No...that is a terrible meaphor...theory is not unlike pruning a tree, it serves to give direction to the trees development, eliminating the need for the random trial and error of spontaneous growth, to some degree.

But indeed, it has been said that to the enlightened man there is no such thing as an answer. A question is only ever answered with more questions. In this manner, information, and its derivative knowledge are self perpetuating, to one degree or another
    "

The Spider paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts before continuing.

"Wo uld you care to tell me a little more about yourself, Mister Ankers? I believe you said that you were familiar with this city before your embrace?"

Chase had the feeling the topic had somehow been circumvented with the roundabout metaphors, but no matter. The response was more than satisfactory, the search for truth is without end. As the conversation drifted back to Chase and his background he felt the need to oblige Nathaniel's curiosities. Philosophy could only be endured for so long.

"Certainly, sir, though I hope the details do not bore you. The Ankers Estate is on the edge of Sacramento, a modest bit of land. There I was raised by the staff while father was working, visiting Silicon Valley. My mortal father is currently the head of a data management company, in the information technology sector. I was expected to follow in his footsteps attending Harvard in Boston in computer technologies though I never did complete the executive course. My Sire, Georgette Walker found me after graduation, apparently she had been watching me for some time throughout my studies. After my Embrace I was inducted into her Draculian Coven and instructed in the manner of which to conduct myself, thus alienating myself from mortal kin for a time. I only returned in the last year in order to put my affairs in order with my mortal family."

Chase expected to outlive the old man and receive a fortune so long as he stayed in his good graces. But Chase wasn't content with riches, he wanted to put them to use in his own company and secure a seat of power in the telecommunication market. Control the media control the world or somesuch. His new-found existence would be all the more secure for it.

The Spider listened, filling the information away in his mental library. He was about to ask further regarding his interests in computing, but then a realisation clicked.

"My apologies, Mister Ankers. You seemed to have something in mind when you approached me; I am afraid my preference for philosophical meanderings got the better of me. Was there something I could help you with, this evening?"

Chase was somewhat taken aback by another subject change. Had he no comment or interest in Chase's background? Perhaps it was this mannerism that Martha had disliked upon meeting the Ventrue nobleman. Chase held no such ill-will, mostly trying to recover from the sudden turn of the conversation. "Oh, that. Well in all honesty I needed to satisfy my curiosity about you. Another Lord with particular forward-thinking interests. Since our meeting was so brief last time we spoke I thought it fitting we should speak again."

He did not share, however, that he also had a keen interest in Nathaniel's greater age and experience. Most Beasts as strong as his were easily distracted by the affairs of the Domain, which kept Chase's conversations rather short. But this fellow Lord could spare some details about how time affected one's livelihood and perspectives. It was almost like glimpsing into the future at himself.

"In any case perhaps it is best we leave it at that for now. If I disclose too much of myself then there'll be no mystery. But please, if you have more questions about the Ordo or myself please do call upon me." Chase slips out a card from his suit pocket, providing it for Nathaniel, the contents reading 'Ubiquity - Chase Ankers Cell (###) ###-#### - Business (###) ###-####'

The Spider smiled as he accepted the offered card, simply remarking "I really must acquire some cards of my own, one of these nights. They do seem most helpful." He reached into one of his inner coat pockets, withdrawing a small notebook and pen. He quickly scribbled down his own contact details in his usual headache inducing script, tearing the page out and offering it to the Lord.

He bowed his head slightly to his cousin before he began to speak once more "It has been a pleasure, Mister Ankers. I do hope I have managed to sate your curiosity, if only for the moment. I have greatly enjoyed our conversation...and look forward to the next. I do hope you will enjoy the rest of your evening."

He considered the conversation once more, and found himself almost glad he had decided to leave his web to attend this evening. The young Lord had proven himself a most interesting individual, and one the Spider would watch with interest in the coming nights. The chance to discuss philosophy, even if the discussion had been brief, was a rare delicacy to be savored.

Chase lowered his head in a gesture of respect to a fellow Lord as he accepted the contact information. "My thanks, Monsieur l’Aubespine, know that the feeling is one we share mutually, and I wish you the very same kind sentiments." He turned smoothly and found his feet, leaving his cousin at the eastern wall. He was not disappointed by the encounter, certainly he had even more interest in his intellectual clanmate. It was unforeseen if Nathaniel would pursue an association with the Ordo Dracul, but the conversation had opened Chase's mind to certain concepts and topics which reflected on his own personal goals. Introspective, as he was, the Lord rejoined the commons idly thinking on these new ideas.

Chase returns to the main thread

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread