Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Looking for Lily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    J
    Jak

((Continued from Return to the Rose.))

Finally, Alastair's drawl broke the silence.

I wonder if I might ask you a question about the audience last night. I'm looking for a woman I met after the performance. I think you would remember her if you saw her: she was fairly tall, about 5' 9", with red hair, very beautiful. Her name is Lily. Do you think you could help me?

Mr. Shea stops and thinks for a moment, then nods and gestures excitedly. "Oh, yes. I remember her! Striking woman, beautiful. She stood out, too, because she wasn't with a date. I thought she might be an actress or something, a movie star. I didn't recognize her, but stars, they come and go so quickly these days. I remember one time that actress, what was her name, the one with the problem with stealing? Anyhow, she came in here. But several in the audience recognized her."

J
    Jak

Alastair smiles long-sufferingly at the man's rambling.

Really? That's quite interesting. But Lily, lady here for last night's performance. Do you know anything about her? Did she pay for her ticket in cash?

He thinks hard for a few moments, then brightens up. Shaking a couple fingers excitedly at Alastair, he says "Yes, yes, now that you mention it, she did. I had to break a fifty dollar bill, in fact."

He thinks for a few more moments, then asks Alastair "So, is she a movie star?"

J
    Jak

Alastair groans inwardly at the man's excitement. 'Yes' was the wrong answer to that question. You can't trace cash.

He had to admit to himself that he didn't really know the answer to Mr. Shea's question. She could be a movie star, I guess. I really don't know her... He then remembers that Mariel had told him that the legends about vampires' reflections were not only true, they applied to film as well. Not much good as a movie star if you're always blurry on film. No, Mr. Shea, I don't think she is. Wanting to give the old owner something, so that he'll be inclined to keep talking, he continues. I think she does some stage acting, though.

You said she didn't have a date, correct? Are you sure she came alone? Do you notice if she drove to your lovely theater?

"Hm....... no, I didn't see how she arrived. Could have drove, could have taken a cab. Probably didn't walk, not in those shoes. But I'm sure she was alone. That struck me right away... a beautiful woman like that, going to the theatre alone. That tells me that either she just really likes theatre, or she really likes being alone." After thinking for a moment, Shea adds "Or maybe there was hoping to meet someone here."

J
    Jak

Alastair grins resignedly for a moment at the old man's last conjecture. He was stumped. Perhaps Mr. Shea could not help him find his sire. Perhaps he would never find her. Sitting back in his chair, he steepled his hands and sat thoughtfully for a few moments.

Then it occurred to him: If she was coming to meet me, which she clearly was, how did she know I would be here? He sat back up and addressed the proprietor again. Mr. Shea, do you remember if she bought her ticket before or after me? If you recall, I was bought mine just two nights ago, the last night before the opening.

"She bought it on the night of the show," Shea says with certainty. "Lucky for her it wasn't completely sold out."

J
    Jak

She must be watching me somehow. Alastair successfully resisted the childish impulse to look around the room for any hidden watcher.

Giving up on getting any useful information from Mr. Shea, Alastair stood. Well, thank you Mr. Shea. You've been most obliging, and I hope to visit the Rose again very soon.

"Yeah, come back any time," Shea says. "Glad for the company."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.