Jefferson Adams sat behind his desk, bored but not showing it, as he listened to the woman tell her story. She’d come in ten minutes ago, just as he was about to close up shop for the night, and begged to speak with him. She’d better be fast, he thought. I’ve got work to do tonight.
He was only half-listening to her. Adams was hoping he would get the chance to feed tonight.
“…my husband, he din’t do nothing,” she was saying. “They got him locked up because he ‘fits the description,’ and it’s absolute bullshit, but that bitch public defender they hooked him up with said she wants to try for a plea bargain. Fuck her, that’s what I say, fuck her and fuck her momma and fuck her goddamn hair-stylist and fuck her…”
Adams nodded, on autopilot. He waited for her to pause and interjected, “And what brought you to my office, specifically?”
“I saw the ad you got, on that billboard,” she says. “It said you work for low rates, maybe even free, I thought maybe I could qualify for a free case seein’ on account a how I can’t even afford a bail bondsman to get my man out…”
Adams nodded again, motioning at her to stop. Yes, she might do. She’s certainly desperate enough.
“Tell you what, Mrs… Clements, was it? Mrs. Clements. Come back to my office, tomorrow night, and we’ll discuss my terms.”

Adams parked in the lot, pleased to see Mrs. Clements sitting in her own car, waiting for him. He gave her a slight wave, got out, and went to the back to open the door and let his Master out. Together, the two of them approached Mrs. Clemens, now waiting by the office and staring at the Master with distrust.
“Who you?” she asked the Master before they’d even reached her.
Adams was silent as he unlocked the office and waved her in. “This is Mr. Witherspoon,” he said. “He is an expert on the matter of the law and you will find his assistance to be quite invaluable.” The woman went in, and the two of them followed. “I’m quite willing to take your case pro bono,” Adams said. “Mr. Witherspoon, however, will be requiring a particular payment…”
The Master gave the woman a tight, fanged, predatory smile.