Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Meeting with the Au Pair

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

Nathanial nodded, before replying "Understood, Madame Bailiff Sage. I have no questions at this time."

A
    Ariana Donovan

It was not Ariana’s place to say anything about Nathaniel’s history. He confided in the Lordess and if he wished to discuss it with anyone else, that was his decision.

Ariana waived her hand gently and smiled. “If I may interject, perhaps we should go through some examples and practice?” The Seneschal tried to invoke further exchanges.

There were a few other matters that she would bring up eventually, but those could wait. The Lordess did enjoy this part of etiquette.

SL •• (Exotic Beauty)
    Presence •••• (Graceful)
    Daniella Sage

PRE

“That is a wonderful idea, lets start with the use proper use of titles while in Court and outside of Court.” That seemed to be an issue lately.

“While in Court, the proper use of titles, and the respect that goes with them are key to etiquette. Though it can get tricky when someone holds multiple titles, but there are a few simple rules to remember. Outside of Court is quite simple, Miss or Mister are appropriate to use. While inside Court, when introducing a member of the First Estate, or greeting them, all titles are to be used, and in proper order. For example, our greeting earlier this evening,” she gestures to Ariana, and with a nod of her head, “I greeted her, Madame Seneschal Donovan, Speaker of the First Estate, Priscus of Lords, Co-Regent of Florin. A good way to remember the order of titles is to use his or her title within the Invictus, followed by their City title and then their Clan title. Though that order only applies to members of the First Estate. A non-member would be addressed using their City Title, followed by their Covenant Title and then their Clan Title.” She will pause then, looking to Ariana to see if she had anything to add before they practiced. “Do you feel comfortable with what I have said to try and practice?"
    Presence •••• (Graceful)│Striking Looks •• (Exotic Beauty)│Mask of Tranquility│Blush Active in Public│British Accent│ WP: 4 Vitae 7

"I believe so, Madame Au Pair Sage, Bailiff of the Domain of Sacramento" replied the Malocusian in his usual drawl, repeating the manner in which he had addressed her earlier in the evening. "I do have one question though. As we are in the Avalon currently, is this considered Court in regards to the use of titles, or is that definition linked only to formal gatherings?"

SL •• (Exotic Beauty)
    Presence •••• (Graceful)
    Daniella Sage

PRE

“The Avalon is one of the Elyssia. The use of titles still applies, as this is also where Officials have offices. While it can be a little more relaxed when it comes to titles, one should still greet a member of the First Estate, and a Court Official with the proper titles and respect. When a formal Court is here, always address using the full titles. Once greetings or introductions have been made, one should then address the other using the titles that pertain to matter being discussed. As an example, if I was to approach my Priscus for family business, I would address him using, Priscus Greyson, with the proper bow and respect. Though if I need to speak with him regarding the Domain and its security, I would address him as Reeve Greyson. Did I answer your question?” she didn’t feel she needed to restate the fact of bowing and showing proper respect. Once she knew if his questions were answered, she could begin to ask him questions about titles and what was to be used, test his knowledge.
    Presence •••• (Graceful)│Striking Looks •• (Exotic Beauty)│Mask of Tranquility│Blush Active in Public│British Accent│ WP: 4 Vitae 7

"You did. Thank you, Madame Au Pair Sage."

A
    Ariana Donovan

“I think we are progressing marvelously.” Ariana smiled to Nathaniel and to Daniella with reassurance in her voice. “Now that we have a few of the basics covered, let us move on to something further.” The copper haired Ventrue slowly changed her position and leaned in slightly.

Her hands moved in simple gestures as she continued. “Titles are very important of course, but there are many other areas that are just as important. For example, interrupting someone above you, unless it is a dire emergency, can show a complete lack of respect of the person you are seeking. No matter if it is a member of the First Estate or a member of another Covenant or head of a Clan. We are representing the unconquered at all times.”

Her blue eyes nearly twinkled as another idea was hidden in them. Yet before they continued, she wanted to be sure of something. “Mr. de l’Aubespine, before we continue with the next portion, I am curious if you have had anyone discuss this with you previously. I would rather not insult you if there are things you already know. If you do, please feel free to share it with us as well.” There were other things from a previous discussion with Nathaniel that Ariana also took into consideration.

When the Lordess spoke, Nathan turned his gaze from the Au Pair to the Seneschal. When she gave her approval, a slight smile reappeared on his face. A smile which warmed even further as she extended the courtesy of the doubt.

He paused for a moment before replying, letting the additional information the Seneschal had provided on protocol sink in.

"Thank you, Madame Seneschal Donovan" he said politely if not awkwardly, unsure if he had used the correct title, or if it would have been more appropriate to address her as Priscus "but I fear my education in such matters is woefully lacking. In this case I believe it would be more appropriate to consider me a....fledgling neonate, of sorts. I am" he gestured with his hands as he searched for the word "Tabula Rasa."

It was a statement the Lord would have made easily, but for the Scientist it was a choked concession. His mistake in dealing with the Herald had cost him, and even the Scientist was willing to swallow his pride to ensure such a thing did not occur again.

Translation - Latin ~ Blank Slate

SL •• (Exotic Beauty)
    Presence •••• (Graceful)
    Daniella Sage

PRE

A nod of her head, “An excellent point, one I am glad you have brought up.” she says with a bow of her head to Ariana. Looking to Nathanial, “The proper thing for that situation would be to stand off to the side, making eye contact with who you wish to speak with and wait to either be invited over, or for them to let you know will need to wait.” Another issue comes to mind; one she feels should be addressed. “Another key thing to remember while either in Court, or outside of it, but when a Court Official reprimands you, it is good etiquette to smile and accept what is being said. While you may disagree, and may wish to voice your disapproval, it is not the time, nor the place while in Court. Learning to swallow ones pride can be difficult at times, but is essential to learn. I have often had others think if it as being in the Military, your superior has a problem with either your actions or words, and tells you. Your job at that point is to accept what is being said, learn from it, and be respectful about it. If you need clarification of what happened or to explain the situation, ask for a private conversation when it is convenient.”

"Understood, Madame Au Pair Sage."
    His task at the moment was an easy one, for one who soaked up information like a sponge. The Scientist nodded after he spoke, awaiting further instruction.

Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Closed Thread