Ended
Watch

Strategic Walkabout

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    l
    loche

Cog pulled his bike off to the side and set the kickstand. He turned with his arms crossed set to listen to the conversation. He nodded once or twice but listened intently as he knew little about this consilium. Though his head did peek up when Aegis mentioned his mentor who was a Libertine, but said nothing as these two fired questions off at each other. As he listened he rubbed his shoulder which was sore from the tumble he took a few minutes ago.

Toren allowed himself to sit on the available bench, folding his hands in his lap considering the questions put to him by Aegis. "Well the Mysterium likes its secrecy, though I'm not usually one to hold back information for one who seeks knowledge. I guess we're still trying to manage ourselves and our collective lore. They've got a variety of talents and have been put to work on several projects helping out where they can, but I don't think they have a defined role in the Consillium. Perhaps simply keepers of things that need study. I myself am working on a funding project for Councilor Morris."

"As for my elemental lineage the best way to describe it is as a unique connection and perspective to the physical plane. I know a lot of mages want to find ways to advance themselves above this mundane existence into the supernal but I feel there is still much to be gained from the world here. That's why I wanted to be an architect. It's not just the materials you work with that matter, but what you do with them that creates beauty and purpose." Toren gazed over the pond with a far off look as he reflected for a moment on this. "Anyways," he said, breaking from his rambling, "Tell me more about these Forge Masters. Sounds like something I'd have a lot of interest in. Do you work with metals perhaps?"

A
    AethrDav

"Actually, philosophies of the Tamers of the Stone sound a lot like the Forge Masters. We also believe in the power of creation and granting mundane materials a purpose as an embodiment of Supernal Ideas. Just about the only thing I know about the Elemental Masters is that they're some of the most ancient Legacies, but Forge Masters go back a long ways as well, and the taming of the world through the tools forged by smiths play into the mythologies of the Powersmiths. Traditionally we do work mostly with metals, as blacksmiths did, but our attainments aren't relegated solely to metal objects." Aegis found it very interesting how two Legacies related to the Path of Doom relate to the power of giving purpose to aspects of the mundane world as an expression of Awakened will. "My Legacy expresses itself through attainments that relate to strengthening the purpose of tools and things, which help them work more efficiently, but can also make those purposes 'ideal' enough to affect ephemera. How do your Legacy's ideologies manifest?"

As far as the Mysterium's secrecy and purposes, Aegis kind of understood. He got the feeling like most of the Orders were in a bit of a state of flux. "If I can ask, what is Joshua looking for funding for?"

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Alfar listens to the two mages speak about their Legacies. As they start talking about the philosophies he cannot help but smile. As soon as there is an appropriate pause in the conversation, he interrupts:

"That's interesting. Because I'm currently going through a sort of pre-entry evaluation for Perfected Adepts. My Mentor back in Africa is one. A hell of woman. And a mage. But that's beside the point. Anyway, the Adepts believe that before reaching for the Supernal an Awakened should gain mastery over their own body, exerting control and letting the inner energies strengthen them. It appears we have a group of people with strong roots here, all of us attempting to understand the ways in which the Supernal manifests within this world. What about you, Cog? Any Legacy?"

He looks at the other mages with considerable interest now.

So much we could learn from each other...

l
    loche

Cog shifted his footing around when Alfar sent the question at him. He took a moment to think before responding to the group. "Well I myself don't have a legacy. I spent more time learning about spirits from my master than learning about legacies. Though he did have a legacy that he was willing to teach me. It was... um," he paused to think about it, "I think he called himself an Animist. They awaken the Spirits of objects to use for there own needs. Though I only ever saw the guy animate things to have a chat. Watching him talk to a TV about what it's favourite channels... was interesting. I was hoping to take him up on his offer to train me after I settled in. I already use magic to help with a lot of the things I make, a little more focus never hurt."

"Wow," replied Toren bright with enthusiasm. "It's wonderful to know that many unique schools are living on in new students, should we all continue in our paths. Aegis, those Forge Masters seem to have a parallel line of thought to my own. I might even say that I am to the Stone Age as you to the Bronze." Toren laughed at his own comparison.

"I've not yet retained my first attainment, though I plan to do so soon. I've been schooled in the form of the mold I must take, thus my interest in the Prime Magics. Once I've filled it I should be able to hear the song of the world with the resonance of supernal essence." He smiled, and hummed to himself as if he could produce such a thing spontaneously.

"As for the funding for Joshua," he hesitated, wondering how close Aegis was to the Councilor to use the man's first name. "I cannot say for what. I can say that the methods used will involve my own profession in architecture."

A
    AethrDav

"Very interesting." Aegis said no more, and had to focus to not glance over at Alfar. He had a strong feeling that Toren had been conscripted to use his architectural knowledge to help in the refurbishment of the Circle of Creation, and he didn't think that it was something up for open discussion outside the Order. At least not yet. Aegis had offered his engineering experience, which meant there was a good chance he and Toren could end up working together on a project or two. "I don't know if it's irony, but I am actually an engineer. I suppose it may even border on cliche for the two of us, falling into the Legacies that we did." A little chuckle followed that, and he turned to their Libertine friend.

"So, Cog, the Animists....what's their philosophy?" It was apropos, Aegis guessed, that he had Awakened to the Tower of the Lead Coin. He had never been a particularly spiritual person, but even as a young man he'd known of death, and even ghosts, though more of the psychologically haunting than physically. As such, his Necromantic difficulty with the animating spirits of the Shadow made him curious about them, and what kind of Legacies the Arcanum spawned.

l
    loche

The Libertine thought about the question, dredging up old memories. He was quiet for a few moments with a pensive look on his face. "Think of being able to awaken every object in your house. Spirits of all these things now able to be seen and talked to, right. Well why would you ever have to have friends, you can have a conversation with your TV about all the shows that are on. You can talk with the Radio about politics, and ask the fridge and stove what would be a good idea for dinner. You surround yourself with Servants, or friends, depending on your outlook. All of them owing allegiance to you, because without you they would have the intelligence of door mice."

He stopped and looked around wishing he had his Spirit sight up. "Most who go down the road of Animist are Crafter's though, I mean being able to talk to your work is a huge benefit." Cog acts out working on something in front of him. "So mister Breastplate, What do you think would fit well on you, Well I think some Greaves, oh and some of that Gold Gilding you put on Frank." His voice changing when He talked from the spirits perspective, even side stepping to show he was talking from a different point of view.

"I know it doesn't seem like it could have a huge Impact on the world, supernal or this one, but you could do so much good with it. Such as having a building your working on protect the workers... or a thousand other things." Cog stopped for a few seconds, "I guess that's not really a philosophy, but then again I'm not an Animist." He smiled at the other magi, and cast his glance over the pond watching the ducks swim around lazily.

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Alfar returns Aegis' glance wondering if Toren would be involved in the renovation of the Circle. It really was a matter of trust, and the doctor hasn't been in Sacramento long enough to know, just how much the Moroi of different orders trusted each other.

As Cog speaks, Alfar looks stunned for a moment before regaining his composure:

"Are you kidding me? Elevating spirits of inanimate objects to the level where they have their own intelligence? Without using Mind? In a way, the fact that behind every object there is a spirit is one of the most important manifestations of the Supernal with the Lie. It sounds great."

Toren's eyes widen with interest as he takes this all in. "Quite right, Aegis, I dare say it may as well be a sign from the Supernal." The Forge Masters, truly fascinating. He would certainly have to suggest to the Councilor for obtaining Aegis's support, but he was getting ahead of himself. There were too many steps to take before he went that far.

The man, Cog, also had very intriguing information to offer about the Animists. He began a daydream imagining carrying on a conversation with a building, perhaps his own grandfather's house. Oh what secrets might lay within his beloved structure. He was far too caught up in these thoughts to come up with anything to say for the moment. Alfar jars him out of it with his response.

"Right...indeed. These ideas and their practices are inspiring." He laughs at himself, "I'm really moved by the extent of the philosophical impact. I do hope you excel in your studies, gentlemen. I'd like to see such work in its complete form. It makes me eager to get back to my own studies just hearing about it." He wondered how long he should linger here in this discussion. Its public setting, even with the wards in place nagged him with concern, but there was so much to learn from these men, his peers.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.