Ended
Watch

Strategic Walkabout

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    A
    AethrDav

The day was warm and the sun shone brightly, there was a mild breeze, but it was warm and intermittent. Mikel Alvarez sat on a stone bench that, despite the sun, still held a bit of night’s cool from the shade of the tree overhead. He'd put on his khaki cargo pants and a plain, grey long-sleeve shirt. Beneath his shirt was his telescoping baton, strapped discreetly to his side, and he wore his other magical tool around his neck, the piece of shrapnel hanging on a leather cord beneath the shirt.

Before him sat a stately gentlemen, renowned among these parts for his chess game. Aegis hadn’t sat down actually hoping to beat the guy. He knew the rules, but certainly wasn’t a chess master. If he had a bit more of the Mysteries under his belt, he might’ve cheated a bit, to at least be able to put up a fight. As it was, the old man didn’t exactly hand him his ass, but seemed to play to Aegis’ level. He kept the younger man guessing, but left enough bread crumbs for him to follow.

Aegis was sure that there was a name for the maneuver his opponent had set up, but he didn’t know it. Hell, he had only just seen it for what it was. The only two moves he had to take a piece would open his King, and while he’d managed to protect his Queen, she had only one move that didn’t leave her threatened. He’d already lost both Knights, one Rook, and two thirds of his Pons. He had both bishops, still, and he felt like he saw a possibility there.

It wasn’t a random move, and it did leave him more than one possibility, depending on how this old master reacted. Racking his brain, Aegis strove to try and find a path to victory, though he now saw it more as a battle of attrition, forcing the other man into sacrifices. So that was Aegis’ strategy, or what he had left to him for strategy.

Three moves later, sharing a hearty chuckle with the older gentleman, the Awakened player laid his king down. ”Thank you for taking it easy on me,” he laughed.

”I didn’t exactly take it easy on you. You really started stepping it up at the end there.” The fellow stood, shaky on his spindly legs, and Aegis stood as well, leaning over to meet the older player halfway. ”It’s always nice to meet a young man who doesn’t need to be spoon fed. Learn hands on, getting dirty.”

”Well, I definitely have more to learn, perhaps I’ll try and stop by more often.”

The park-chess king gave him a nod and a wave, already leaning in to cajole another pensioner hanging around into a game. He seemed to be having to bully a little, and Aegis got the impression that the rest of these codgers didn’t enjoy losing to him as often as they probably did. It was with a happy shake of his head that Aegis turned to wander a little deeper into Capital Park, deciding to just wander a bit and see what he could see.
      Prime Mage Site
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-04-11 19:39:53 Aegis rolls 7 to open Eye of the Magus [Wit+Occ+Prime] (10 Again) 5, 1, 9, 10, 6, 5, 1, 10, 3 3 successes

Toren was on a stroll through Capitol Park, literally smelling the flowers that bloomed on large bushes that marked the path edges. It was Spring, such a nice scent to the air. People coming out of their homes and stretching their underused hibernated bodies. Toren liked his home and being stuck in it, but he also liked to get in touch with the city that was also his home, Sacramento. It was all a part of the physical experience, and he had a nice view of the downtown buildings in the open park air.

To enjoy the experience even more he called on the aid of his sight to detect the resonance of the matter around him.
      Seizing the Threads
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-04-13 16:43:53 Toren rolls 7 to cast Dark Matter rote [Matter+Science] (10 Again) 4, 3, 3, 6, 9, 8, 10, 10, 6 4 successes
    Upon its activation, however he notices the form of Aegis down the path, eyeing him curiously. His aura seemed to be that of an Awakened. He criss-crosses his feet as he walks closer. "Hello, umm, do I know you? Or rather, should I know you?" asked Toren, hoping his question wasn't too invasive as a greeting.

l
    loche

Cog had rarely been to the parks in Sacramento since he had moved here, and he finally had a free moment. All the commissions he did kept him busy but as a thyrsus he had to get out every now and again. Hell as a human he needed his Vitamin K, but he just wanted a peaceful ride. He had picked Capitol Park on a whim driving here as it was a bit of a stretch from his house. He pulled his bike out of his trunk, locked his car, and hoped on taking off across the grass. He sped along rode onto the path, and pedaled harder switching gears. He dropped back off the path as he caught sight of the chess tables. Then his sight caught what appeared to be an awakened pattern.

He rode across the grass making a wide circle around a group of girls playing with a golden retriever. He began to circle back and around the girls, he saw two of them were at least his age. He started toward the path were he saw the patterns, and his mind wandered back to the girls. Cog turned looking behind him, and released one of the handles to get a better look. He saw them chasing the dog the opposite way, and sighed.

BUMP

His front tire hit a dip, and bounced. Whipping around Cog grabbed the other handle bar, but he saw the bushes that lined the path. Swerving the bike went through a break in the bushes, and it with the rider sped onto the path. He was going too fast as he reached for the brakes but his bike went headlong into a bush on the other side. "Oh shi-," Cog started to say as the bush caught his front tire. His hands slipped and Cog flew off the bike. He rolled onto the grass hitting his shoulder hard onto the ground. The bike caught the bush stood straight up then fell side ways into the neighboring bush. Rolling over he looked straight up, and besides his shoulder started laughing at his fall. God I hope there not seers he thought.

Date Action Roll Result
    2012-04-14 22:28:43 Cog rolls 8 to Second Sight with high speech (10 Again) 1, 4, 10, 1, 1, 2, 4, 2, 2 1 success

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

The weather is good enough for a walk today and Alfar definitely needed one after being holed up in his Sanctum, reading psychology books. He lacked subtleness. And he was a Provost so he probably needed it, but damn, if it didn't make his head spin reading about all the little social and psychological nuances of human interaction.

To hell with this, I need to get outside.

And so he walks through the Capital Park, wearing casual clothes, minding his own business, looking at all the life with his Mage Sight, when he notices Aegis talking to some other man, who also appears to be Awakened. Making sure not to look threatening.

"Hi there, Aegis, didn't think I'd meet you here today. Could you introduce me to your friend? I'm Alfar, by the way."

Spells cast at home
    Attached Images

A
    AethrDav

Aegis could feel his senses tingle at the Awakened magic worked behind him on the path, and he took a few more steps before turning to look over his shoulder at the person who was the source of it. "Should you know me is a rather subjective question, but....woah!

It seemed that Awakened often thought alike, as yet another person bearing the whirling resonance of magic made an a$$-over-tea-kettle landing into a bush nearby, and then Alfar hailed Aegis from just back up the path. Well, it's a veritable mage-a-palooza. he thought.

"Alfar," he waved at the Shaman, "I just met a new friend here," putting his hand out to the man with the bald pate, he introduced himself. "My name is Aegis. I'm kind of new to town, so I doubt you know me, but I fly with the Arrows, as my friend Alfar here does. Do you know who our friend in the bush there is, or should we give him a hand up and all introduce ourselves?"

"Ah!" said Toren enthusiastically, "Wonderful! Well that explains it, I'd recognize you if I didn't have my nose in a dusty tome," he winks, suggesting a Mysterium origin.

Looking at the unfortunate accident of the other individual, Toren breaks away from the conversation to trot up to him. To Cog he bends his head over him, "Are you okay? Have you hit your funny bone?" he asks, smiling. The bicyclist man's laughter was most likely out of embarrassment, but it was a good sign that he was alright. He offered a hand to help Cog retrieve himself from the bush.

Once the man was upright again Toren took a few steps back towards his initial party. "Right, well, anyways, I'm Toren, nice to meet you, Aegis, is it? And Alfar. Very curious we should meet here like this. And curious that I've not seen any of you before at the in the community." Actually this wasn't curious at all but he was certain he hadn't met these gentleman at the last Consillium. They must have been new indeed. Should he be cautious? Could they be Seers? Nah, they seemed far too polite for that.

"This man...no I don't believe I've met you either," referring to Cog.

l
    loche

Still chuckling he took the man's hand and lifted himself up. Brushing off the dirt he smiled, "ten fingers ten toes, I'll check the rest later." He caught the spell in his pattern, and threw caution to the wind... or bush. He walked with the man to the two other mages, they're multiplying, Oh no?

"Hi ya folks doin', name's Cog. Sorry about the tumble I was watching the fauna, and the flora caught me by surprise." He smiled, and picked his bike out of the crushed bushes. lowering his voice to just the other three mages. "So is it me or there seems to be more mages in the park than the bookstore. You guys aren't banishers right?" He smirked slightly showing he was just poking fun, but he was still a little wary.

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Alfar watches the scene unfold with a smile as Cog tumbles and rise with the help of Toren. Sacramento seems to be full of chaos with new exciting things happening on a daily basis. Perhaps, it wasn't that interesting to watch a mage fall from a bike into some bushes, but Alfar has had his share of wild and dangerous recently. Watching something amusing was much better.

As soon as there is a pause he speaks thoughtfully:

"Sometimes I wonder if there is some higher reason for our people to bump into each other. No matter." - flashing a smile at Toren, he asks something that's been on his mind for some time. - "So... This city has quite a turnover of our kind, hasn't it? I can't wait for the regular meeting..." - moving in a little closer he adds in a quite tone. - "I'm with the Arrows by the way. And a Thyrsus Provost."

The doctor cannot help but smile at the Cog's question:

"And what kind of answer would you expect?"

"Shhh shh," says Toren quickly, putting a finger to his lips and whispering back. "No mumbo jumbo talk in public now. Even trees have ears." Still, he doesn't scold since they're doing their best to keep quiet already, and only adds the warning as a caution. "I don't suppose any of you gentlemen know a bit about soundproofing?" indirectly suggesting the use of the popular initiate's Forces spell for influencing sound. "No, none of you? Oh, well I guess we'll have to do without."

He's sure it seems rather suspicious them all whispering closely together but he joined in anyways. "I'm a Moros Provost myself and a member of the Mysterium, which I shall refer to forthwith as my Book Club. As for our meeting, I'm sure it's because great minds think alike and this is the best park in the city." He grins, pleased as punch.

A
    AethrDav

Oh, wow! A Provost! Aegis hadn't realized Alfar was a Provost. He'd met the Heirarch, and with him the Magisters for the Adamatine Arrows, at West's house. This, though would be his first real social interaction with officials from this Consilium. A Necromancer, but also a mystagogue, he wondered which Councilor Toren worked for. Did Alfar serve the Thyrsus Councilor and Toren the Moros Councilor? He agreed with the Provost regarding discussing their affinities, but figured they weren't in a crowd. Maybe they could find a little grassy knoll to occupy and get to know one and other, but he thought it'd be best to try and get off what seemed like on of the main paths in the park.

"None of us have any interest in banishing anyone, in fact, I think it'd be nice to find a sunny little hill to maybe get to chat some." Aegis motioned up the path, deeper into the park, and where they could walk amongst the trees and flowers and maybe find a spot to claim. "I don't know much about soundproofing, I'm more of a materials guy myself, and really enjoy prime materials." Yeah...that was subtle enough, right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.