Chase had pushed his Coils to the limit finding a dish for the evening meal. He distracted himself with work too often. But there were limits. Nothing could fend off this appetite forever. He needed it and his usual countenance was replaced by cringing. His veins hurt and his sharp mind began to dull. He threw his desk chair back and clawed at invisible things above him, stretching his aching body upwards.

"Damnable curse, this thirst!" calling to the ceiling, half meaning it. On the one hand his irrevocable condition yielded such exquisite bliss through the taste of blood. On the other it was much worse than addiction, it was essential to the Requiem. His sire had told him stories of such torpor endured over years. And he had much too many plans to sleep through them.

Throwing on a spring jacket, Chase stumbled out of his apartment towards his leased Chevrolet Caprice PPV. He wasn't sure where he was going to go, but he couldn't risk a victim so close to his Haven, not in the state he was in. Yet as he reached for his keys a form appeared from the shadows to his left heading up the sidewalk. It was Daisy, the landlord's daughter. Chase had spoken to her initially when he set up the apartment lease. She was somewhat of a night owl so their paths crossed regularly.

"Oh, Mr. Ankers, nice to see you again," she said in a chipper high-pitched voice, her dark braided hair wagging as she came to a stop in front of him. In her arms were four plastic bags of groceries, two for each arm. It looked heavy for her small form. He had thought about tearing open that luscious slender neck on previous occasions but hadn't, simply because he didn't want suspicion to be thrown on him after a few visits left her weak and anemic.

"Hi, Daisy," he said, trying not to sound as off as he was sure he looked. "Need any help with those?"

She smiled, a little shyly, "No, no I got it. I just don't like to make several car trips, you know?" She seemed hesitant though, as if she might have liked the excuse for his company. "Besides, I'm sure I'm holding you up heading to your night shift again right?"

Chase tried harder to maintain his composure and smiled. "Oh I was just running to get a snack. Working from home tonight, just needed to stretch my legs and stomach."

She seemed to perk up a bit. "Oh! Well let me make you something then. I've got lots of goodies from the store to share." Of course he would agree. She allowed him to help her after all, taking half the bags from her hands, the distinct touch of fingers as they were handed off. He lingered a second longer, leaving a distinct sexual tension.

She blushed a little as they headed to her apartment number. It was near the front and she could walk right next door to work and be available to tenants. Also she could live there free because of her dad while she studied at the University. Chase thought he might have heard her mention botany before but he couldn't recall.

Sitting in her living room area he awaited what she promised to be tea and pastries. He folded his fingers tightly together, wondering how long he should press the charade. He nearly bit his lip trying to fight off the need. He should just get this over with.

"So, anything new going on with you these days?" asked Daisy conversationally as she set the kettle to boil.

"As a matter of fact I'm planning on starting a business soon. Just trying to set some preliminary details in motion," said Chase with the bare hint of a growl creeping into the syllables.

She didn't seem to notice. "Oh wow! That's great! I didn't realize you were also an entrepreneur. What sort of business is it going to be?"

Chase stood, walking over to her in the kitchen, slowly but distinctly. "Oh, it's an internet business. I might have an investor lined up if I can complete the rudimentary software. If all goes well maybe your dad would also like to sign up for it for the apartment complex..."

His eyes locked onto hers as he spoke, yet she broke away, embarrassed at his sudden attention. Instead he looked to her neck, how its bare pale flesh held the dim blue veins beneath its surface. He could almost perceive the thump of her chest beating quickly beneath her breasts. "That...sounds terrific..," she started, folding her arms in front of her. The kettle began to percolate on the kitchen stove as he drew closer. He couldn't tell clearly if she were dropping signs of interest or if she were cringing in fear at his approach. Such details were lost on him as his savage hunger took over. Would she struggle, would she call out? Minor details, take the blood!

He lunged for her, and yet as he wrapped his arms around her she only squeaked in protest, seizing up as his teeth breached the skin below her chin. The pounding heartbeat resounded in his ear, gulping down the intoxicating liquid plasma, emptying her slowly. The tenseness in her body slackened as the moment dragged on and she allowed him to hold her standing there. He might have drunk her dry if the tea kettle hadn't started to whistle a shrill cry. He let go of her and she crumpled to her knees at the sudden release. The kettle kept sounding and she fell back against the kitchen cabinet opposite the stove.

He panted, frightened by the sudden clarity of mind. What am I doing? Not here, so close to my Haven? And what if I had killed her, what then? Quickly he bent by her side to lick the wound he had left on her, savoring the last drop in its cleaning. Then he laid her down on the floor, cradling her head gently as if she had merely fainted. Standing he turned the stove burner off, letting the cry ease to a soft gurgle.

As he bends to check on her again he sees her staring at him, her eyes confused and questioning. He gazes deeply into them in reply and digs into her mind before speaking. "You will not remember my touch or my advances, only that I came for a cup of tea and some light conversation and left without issue. You will rise in a few minutes from your reverie and believe you had fainted after my absence. Nod your understanding." And nod she did before closing her eyes again more peacefully.

Chase got to his feet, feeling better but angry with himself. He would not let himself push so close to frenzy again if he could help it.