Emma looked at the address to make sure she knew where she was going. The Delrose Ranch 1841 Maple Glen Road. She was to have dinner with Alice, the ranches president and Mark, the manager. They had found some shards of pottery on their ranch and wanted to know if it was anything the college wanted to investigate. The department decided to have Emma take a look.

Emma activated the blush as she went up the long winding driveway. The scene was a classic one from many movies, tree lined driveway with white fence. It was beautiful. At the house the driveway made a circle to make leaving easier. Behind the house were stables and fields lined with trees. Emma was standing in the driveway admiring the property when a crisp female voice called to her. Beast licked its lips hungrily. We need to feed. It whispered in Emma’s head. She looks tasty. Emma pushed beast down, for now, and smiled pleasantly. “Beautiful property.”

“Thank you. Won’t you come in? I’m Alice Harris, president of the Delrose Ranch company.” Emma and Alice shook hands and went into the house. Once inside Emma was introduced to Mark Read the ranch manager. After dinner Emma excused herself and went into the bathroom. Once safely inside she threw-up the beef and vegetables. Then she joined Alice and Mark in the livingroom where she looked at the pottery shards.

“This does look like it could be from the mid-1800’s.” Emma said as she turned the pieces around in her hands. “Could you show me where you found this?”
“If you would like to come back tomorrow…” Mark started to say.

“I’d prefer now if you don’t mind.” Emma looked at Alice who had excitement showing in her face.

“Certainly. Mark, I’ll take Emma down to look at the site. Oh my, the site. I feel so official.” Alice let out a girlish giggle. She and Emma put on jackets and grabbed a couple of flashlights. “The site is in the back eastern corner of the property, Mark found these the other day while checking the fence.” Alice explained.
Once they were at the site, Emma examined the area. Pushing her hand into the dirt she pulled up a few more fragments of pottery and some beads. “These are interesting. I will take them back to the laboratory and do some tests. The college will get back to you next week with their decision. Thank you for your hospitality.” Emma put out her hand but Alice pulled her into a friendly embrace.

What was a girl to do? Emma sank her fangs into Alice’s shoulder and drank deeply. It only took a few moments. Emma sat Alice down until she regained consciousness. “What happened?” Alice asked.

“You fainted.”

“Too much wine and excitement.” Alice gave a watery smile.

“Probably. Let me help you back to the house.” After Emma got Alice settled by the fire she left quietly and went to write up the report for the dean.