Ended
Watch

Bringing up the past

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    K
    Kazakin

Rook still walked everywhere. Some things never changed.

The parks made him remember things he didn't always want to, but it was necessary to face up to history, every now and then. The Metalflesh remembered when he had been here, and he'd been approached by that thing that had put him on the path to losing Laura. He remembered before that, patrolling with Fu, seeing the woman run into the Hedge for... no reason. 'Rea had been there then.

Rea and Leo. That was another story. The group that had gone off looking for Fetches, so long back now. They had been his friends, but unlike them, he had remained, never faltering.

Leo had made him laugh, he remembered that much. The young man had been... troubled at best, but that was the nature of the life they'd been dragged into. Sometimes, Rook wondered if he'd been too forgiving, compensating for the fact that a chess piece simply didn't possess the capacity for mercy.

Leo was gone now, just a memory of someone who had been in turn, both amusing and painful to watch. Rook suspected he'd never be back.

The first smells of spring were in the air. Winter was dying away.

He'd been here almost a year, and lost everything in that time.

Rook's mantle blazed around him as he strode through the park, his mirrored sunglasses flashing in the dying light.

Everything was eventual.

PRE

Irea ran through the last rays of sun, her feet flashing over the ground, her breath carrying the harsh taste of iron with every gasp. The sound of her frantic hearbeat thundered in her ears, drowning out the sound of her tennis shoes pounding the pavement of the park's trail. Her legs burned as she rounded a corner, taking it wide so that she could see ahead, her eyes frantically peering through the gathering darkness for any obstacles. Finally she saw a bench up ahead, and she slowed her pace, dropping into a jog until she could collapse onto the darkness swathed bench. She took off the jacket of her black workout suit and slumped further on the bench, focusing on slowing her breathing. It wasn't until Rook was almost abreast with the bench that she realized someone was there. She bolted upright, wound like a spring on the verge of breaking, but she relaxed when the recognized the sunglasses and suit.

"Cavolo!" she gasped, "Rook, you surprised me."

K
    Kazakin

"Did I?" Rook said, with a very slight, corner of the mouth smile. "I'm sorry. I don't usually surprise anyone." His Mantle flickered in the air around him, white hot flashes moving across the metal. The black and white squares beneath his feet glimmered in and out of existence as he walked, his very own spectral chessboard.

"Something pretty big must've been on your mind to block me out. Everything okay?"

PRE

Rea laughed, somewhat depricatingly and a bit out of breath, and wiped her face off with her jacket. "Well, yes, actually, but that's not why. I just didn't realize that I had dropped my guard until you walked up. Thank you for reminding me to pick it up."

She stood up and tied the jacket around her waist. "Would you mind if I accompanied you? It's been awhile since we've had a chance to trade words."

K
    Kazakin

"Not at all," Rook said, with a little corner of the mouth smile. "It's been a while since you were around. I thought perhaps you'd left town forever. Like Leo." The simple honesty of the Constable's speech hadn't changed in that time. He didn't tend to beat around the bush. But he remained amicable.

He had, however, put on a heavy amount of muscle, and his suit was pulled tight across his broad chest.

PRE

"No, I had intended to come back, although I wasn't sure when I would be able to. I'm sorry that I gave no notice, but it was a rather sudden thing, even for me," the darkling said, pacing along beside the summer courtier. She looked into Rook's sunglass covered gaze for a moment and then back at the trail.

"When a child of winter is in danger, we flee, but if we would be the cause of bringing danger to others, then we must draw it away. I had made a mistake when I left Los Angeles, and...an old friend, I'll say, made me aware of it. I had to go rectify that. It was best if none knew anything about it. That's all I will say, I'm sorry if it only leaves more questions."

OOC

K
    Kazakin

"It's all right," Rook said, with a shrug. "If it was something you had to do, it was something you had to do. And if it's none of my business, then it's none of my business. Nothing to debate there. I'm glad you're back, even so." The Constable could remember that time. It had been... happier. Simpler. Less responsibility, less loss. He had lived in confidence that his wife and children were safe, always safe, because he protected them extravagantly and denied himself the contact he desired.

He had been wrong. Flawed.

Manipulated.

At least, in the end, he hadn't lost all​ of them.

PRE

"I'm glad that there is someone who wants me back. I left a few of my duties behind when I left, and I fear that my queen is none too happy with me," Rea replied, smiling a little sardonically. "Rightly so, I suppose...Might I ask how the Hold faired while I was away? I'm sure there must be too much to say in a short time, but if there is any news you wish to tell, I would be much obliged."

K
    Kazakin

"Milford's dead," Rook said, with a little shrug. "One less black mark hanging around. I can't really say much about your group. It's not like they'd handily let me know what they're up to." That amused him, at least, and he smiled suddenly, at the corner of his mouth. Yes, the Winter Court deciding to report everything to Summer's Cop.

It'd be like the Mafia handily writing to the Chief of Police, just to let him know where they were running their prostitution rings out of.

PRE

"I never knew anything about Milford, but if there was something good from the death, then I'm glad," Rea returned, nodding a but somberly.

"How about yourself? You look different. There's a tang of something surrounding you, something that might be on your mind. Your music still sounds as good as ever, though," she added after a moment, smiling lightly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.