Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
WiW: Books books books!

Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    L
    Lazy Cow

The Russian Daeva nodded at Chris's words, for now she seemed content with just listening, having spoken her part and shared her opinion.

She listened to Jim and to Ariana with polite interest, her lips though remained sealed, exposing a polite and inscrutable smile, from her body language one could glean a shread of happyness and joy... perhaps she was happy... or perhaps she wanted to look happy.

A
    Ariana Donovan

The Lordess herself loved music as her eyes lit up with the name of Tchaikovsky. “Hearing Frederick Chopin’s Nocturne’s in almost any movement the first time was quite amazing. To see someone play it in person was more than I could ask for.” She briefly thought back to Anasztaz’s old run down house. Yet within held its beautiful white piano.

“Indeed it is our nature.” Although Ariana did not quite want to say human. “It appears that everything is a circle of influence. One begetting another for inspiration. Where one is inspired to make a book into a movie, some are inspired to dance after hearing a song.” She was pleased to hear Yekaterina finding something the Deava could relate to.

Nodding with James, Ariana verbally agree. “Indeed, occasionally I have read the original books. Although sometimes I find a novel of theirs not yet produced in Hollywood to get a different aspect on the author’s writing.”

Turning to Chris for a moment, she asked. “What would you say the difference is between Science Fiction and Fantasy?” Her eyes looked into his for a moment, truly impressed with his views on the subject. Her gaze looked to the others encouraging their opinions as well.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

When Ariana asks the question Chris had been expecting, he smiles. Of course he doesn't mind answering it at all. 'In the very names of the genres lies the definition already. Science Fiction happens in a fictional world where science exists. Now Gandalf is certainly a fictional character, but he doesn't appear like a scientist to me. Lightsabers though, are weapons created by "men" and not by magic only.'

From looking at Ariana, he also tries to see what the others' opinions are. 'Fantasy then, relies on you fantasy only, there is no need to give things a scientific explanation in fantasy. I would call Harry Potter modern fantasy because the magic just comes from the wand and we don't know how. So time is not necessarily something to define the genres with.' He then tries to think of a science fiction movie he recently saw, but he can't even recall something that would be sci fi by these arguments only. 'Of course the two genres meet each other quite a lot... but we face that same problem with Thrillers and Horror, and then even comedy.'
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

James was smiling slightly as Chris made his last point about the 'problem' of genres meeting. He was curious about something. "Do you view genre mixing as a problem, Mr. Wooding? I actually find the melding of some genres to be most satisfying... so long as it is done well."

L
    Lazy Cow

The Russian Daeva listened intently to the change of words between the assembled kindred. While she heard Chris explaining the differences between sci fi and fantasy she mused about the details of his explanation and how much she understood about the distinction…

Certainly Ariana and to some extent Jim seemed to understand a lot of what was going on… she remembered Ariana telling her about how she pursued a job as a journalist…

The concept certainly was foreign to Yekaterina… she knew that some kindred, especially those of her clan seemed to have a certain flare for the passing fads of humanity. Yekaterina though, was content on keeping her own.

But she understood how some newer things could be a boon… she instinctively searched for her I-Phone; yes… she enjoyed that small jewel of technology… the possibilities of such a small and multi faceted tool held attraction and interest to her, quiet, discreet and functional; just as she enjoyed things.

Then as if breaking her stupor she quietly added to the savage’s words her own, in a quiet and polite tone.

“Yes, genre mixing certainly poses interesting possibilities.” Her voice was low as if trying not to intrude.

A
    Ariana Donovan

Being from New York, she was exposed to many different facets of cultures especially with a focus on entertainment. In college, there were many places she was asked to go. Some mostly because the veteran reporters could not be bothered. “I remember seeing a seminar about Gene Roddenberry’s influence on science with science fiction. It seems as if he began forging some of our modern technology, or at least gave the catalyst for ideas to spring forth.” Ariana kept her eyes moving from between the three around her when she continued. “Mechanical sliding doors for example were an idea that began in Star Trek. Perhaps they also inspired touch screen devices as well.” Her eyes looked to Yekaterina with a soft smile as she recalled her iPhone. The redhead was also trying to find something with in their conversation that was a blend of anyone’s interests. At times, it was challenging but one never knew.

When Chris spoke of magic, she knew he was familiar with it being an Acolyte. “The willing suspension of disbelief is key to fantasy coming to life and believing for just a moment what is seen on the screen. I believe some people also call it escapism.” Glancing to Chris as a slight question.

“I have also seen recent success, or at least on a cult classic level, of Horror Comedy and Shawn of the Dead comes to mind. I have not personally seen it, although it was hard not to miss in the media.” She chuckled gently at its former praise. The Lordess nodded to Jim’s question as well, also intrigued by the answer the Shadow had.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

'Huh, oh I,' a laugh, they didn't even misinterpret him wrong, Chris simply wanted to say something else, 'I meant something else. Of course, mixing is not a problem. No, if someone here is pro-postmodernism, it's me. Mixing brings new possibilities indeed, and brings forth lots of new inspiration.' He nods to the Russian lady, who just spoke about that.

'I mean that when genres are mixed, it can be problematic to define them. Shaun of the Dead, yes it is hilarious. You should see it,' grin 'but is it even horror? The only thing that scares me about that movie is that it gives me the urge to walk around like a zombie, just for fun.' Well, not all the time of course. But during a zombie-apocalypse, hell why not? 'Which I believe also brings us to escapism. I must admit I'm not entirely familiar with the subject, it is more media psychology than a cultural phenomenon. Although... it is one of the main reasons why people play video games, watch television, but also read books or even have a religion. All just to escape from their everyday routine.'

An everyday routine of which smartphones have become a big part. Chris doesn't judge though, he is young enough to be able to be a Steve Jobs fan. Since he also noticed that two of his conversational partners have become slightly quiet he suddenly changes the subject. 'Oh is that a new version?!' With that he obviously means Yekaterina's iPhone.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

L
    Lazy Cow

Yekaterina listens to Chris, it was nice to hear someone talking about something different from what she used to talk about... despite what most thought Yekaterina enjoyed to hear others talk… she just didn’t craved attention for herself.

She noticed the change of topic by their beastless companion, perhaps he had misunderstood her silence for disinterest… she had to learn how to work on keeping people captivated without having to make them loose their string of thought…

The lithe woman answered in a kind tone to Chris' question.
    “It’s the 4S Mr. Wooding” she says showing the phone with a casual movement of her hands to the rest of the assembled kindred.

Then she asks the phone.
    “Siri, what’s playing?”

“Someone like you – Adele” the phone answers in a synthesized female voice, as their attention shifts towards the quiet song in the background.

The Russian woman’s smile widens a bit.

“Trinkets.” she adds mysteriously as if the word possessed far more meaning for her than it was supposed to.

Jim chuckled, amused by Yekaterina's love for her phone. "Good lord, I'm still running some crappy old-model Blackberry..." The Taifa looked disappointed for a moment. "My phone doesn't talk to me." He shrugged.

"As for Shaun of the Dead... you haven't seen it, Ms. Donovan? I suspect a trip to the rental store and a couple hours off your busy schedule may be necessary!" Jim grinned at Ariana.

A
    Ariana Donovan

The Lordess put her hand up in a surrendering motion. “Okay, okay.” She laughed quietly in the bookstore. “I will watch the movie soon and let you know what I think of it.” It seems between Chris and James she was out voted.

“You are indeed correct Mr. Wooding about the items you mentioned for escapism.” Of course, the subject quickly changed to the phones and technology. She was amused how no matter the age it was appealing to many.

Playfully defensive, Ariana spoke with a smirk. “I still have a blackberry. It is the newest model, but I like what it does without it being overwhelming for what I need it to do.” Nodding to Yekaterina’s direction she asked. “Does your iPhone do everything you want it to do?”

Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread