Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

OOC

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Animus snuggles against his girlfriend as she reclaims her seat. And though he listens attentively to the others as they make their pitches, he keeps his face neutral. It needed to be Triquetra's decision, not his.

Idun

PRE

Idun doesn't really take offense to anything being said about her, after all, she moved away from her family and refused to be hired by a hospital to get away from the traditions of her family and their expectations. She didn't join an order because it reminded her of her family and, maybe, on some level, the reason she spoke throughout the meeting, she continued to speak with Toby just to make such a bad impression upon those in charge of politics. That doesn't exactly make it right nor does she feels like the thought that she wanted to come across as rude either.

It's been a fair bit since that meeting and she's had plenty of time to self evaluate her actions. Well, what's done is done. Although I probably should resume my studies into Mind magic in hopes of controlling such future impulses. She thinks to herself while she kind of listens to their pitches about why they should be chosen. Idun did glance over to Triquetra to see what her reaction is about their actions and arguments.

Kite sighs in exasperation before speaking again. “Alfar…” he starts after a long pause, “…the way you are talking - it is like you are asking people to call for your references. This isn’t that kind of job.”

Kite turns to Triquetra “Please correct me if I am mistaken,” he says calmly, before turning back to Alfar, “But to be Provost, at least in this case, means that you ultimately carry the trust of the Councilor. The Provost makes sure that rulings are followed. And in the event that the Councilor is unavailable, the Provost may temporarily assume authority until that issue is resolved. It requires multiple levels of trust, not just in skill, but also in ethics, strength of personality, and character.” Kite stares at Alfar for a moment, as if he is searching for a sign of any of these traits.

“It also requires diplomacy, as the position is bound to carry with it all the politics and infighting associated with… determined personalities.” Kite says firmly. “The position requires that you are intelligent, eloquent, diplomatic, and respected. It also requires that you have respect for your peers - both the Councilor, and your fellow Thyrsus.”

“Alfar,” Kite starts with an unusual degree of seriousness, “we do not know a single thing about you.” he finishes in a very firm tone. “We just met you. Behind those words you say to our faces…” Kite carefully studies Alfar, “…what are you thinking?”

Kite sighs deeply, before turning back to Triquetra. “Not that I am much better.” he freely admits. “The amount of information you have on my own style and personality is… undoubtedly meager.” Kite looks back and forth along the ground, his mind clearly working, as if he is trying to solve a problem that has no solution.

Finally, Kite looks at Triquertra directly. “I do not envy the decision in front of you. You are choosing a Provost from 3 unqualified candidates.” Kite solemnly shakes his head “The only thing I can say for myself is… of the three of us,” Kite wryly concludes, “I am the least unqualified.”

L

Kite was absolutely right in stating that she didn't really know anything more about him than she did Alfar. He'd been around longer, sure, but they'd never really met before. Really, for the most part, what she had to go on was what she'd seen here, at this meeting.

Where Kite was wrong, she felt, was saying they were all unqualified. She wasn't looking for quality, or lack thereof. She was looking for potential. And, perhaps, an eventual replacement. "Command respect, show respect, intelligent, eloquent...you're right, a good Provost should have all of that." Never mind that she herself, as Councilor, probably didn't. "And I think they have to want to fulfill the role, too." After all, the Thyrsus Path already had a Councilor who'd never really desired the position. They shouldn't have a Provost who felt the same. "The Thyrsoi need someone who's eager to take on that responsibility, I think. Because of that and a few other things," which she wasn't going to mention aloud, "I'd like to offer the position to Alfar."

She wiggled back a bit more comfortably into Animus, wondering what sort of reactions she was going to get.

Kite suddenly turned to Triquetra, both eyebrows raised as high as they could go. He then turned back to Alfar, then to Triquetra, and back and forth again. To the rest of the world, it looked as though he were trying to make sense of a world suddenly divorced from logic.

Kite looks down at the ground, his mind working overtime pondering each piece of information that he had previously considered and evaluated. Then, holding his right index finger, his left eyebrow still cocked high, he looked as though he was about to ask a question of great importance, only to stop, and continue his line of thought.

Kite looked into the distance a moment later, his brow furrowed in deepest thought. His eyes looked as though they are trying to solve the riddle of the universe. Once again, he lifts his arm, and looks as though he is about to come to some sort of grand conclusion… only to stop himself once again.

Kite then put his hand to his chin, as if to ponder the very nature of existence. Before Kite, there was a problem, a quandary that seemed to defy any solution, even logic itself. His mind was working as hard as it could, attempting nearly in vain to put words, sounds, phonetics to this seemingly impossible question. A third time, and then a forth, he started to put words to his inquiry, only to find that words were lacking. For some time, Kite seemed to struggle with the core concepts of reality itself, before he could finally, completely, put words to the dilemma that had, for a few seconds, wracked his mind and soul.

“Beg pardon?” he asks.

Ermon
    Alfred Coldwell

Pre 2 (Timid), SL 2 (Honest)
    Mastigos, Apostate

Alfar watches Kite's antics with a widening smile. Self-control surely isn't one of the fellow mage's strong points. He flinches slightly at the obviously rude question addressed at the Councillor. Instead of waiting for her answer he takes a deep formal bow: first towards her and then - to his fellow Shamans.

"Thank you, Councillor. I will carry out my new duties to the best of my ability and make sure that you don't regret this decision. Also, if taking a magical oath is practiced here, I'll gladly do it." - he is grateful to Triquetra for her choice and will do his best to not disappoint her. Even though he wasn't very experienced as an Awakened, he had life experience. And that had taught him that such trust shouldn't be taken lightly.

His expression less formal now he turns to Kite smiling kindly:

"You have very high demands of a Provost, Kite. You are right, of course, but you are missing something vitally important. A Provost needs to be willing, determined and trustworthy. And strong enough to be able to carry out his duty through force if that be necessary. Everything else is secondary. It definitely helps to be capable in many areas, but it's not vital. So until I earn yout trust I ask you to trust Triquetra's choice as a surrogate for one of these vital qualities." - his gaze is suggestive enough to make the man understand that he shouldn't make a scene. - "And as a start toward earning that trust I promise that I'll never make you spill coffee over yourself again." - at this point he adds a wink to make sure that the man understands that's a joke. Kite seems to be so shocked, that Alfar does his best to be straightforward.

Alfar's expression is of genuine happinness. He had spent far too much time being a neonate who was much older than many experienced mages. This was his chance to make a difference, to learn, to help others and better himself. With a playful smile and eyes somewhat sad from all the memories he addresses his fellow Thyrsoi:

"I believe the Japanese say in this situation something like 'I am inexperienced, but please accept me.' I'm pretty sure it's used by Japanese women before getting married, but it fits this situation nevertheless." - he bows again, this time in a more dignified manner.

L

"I'm not worried about him being new to the city, I don't really know more about him than I know about you." Her tone is a bit more clipped now than it had been before. She doesn't seem to be particularly happy with the way Kite phrased that question either. "He seems eager to help the Consilium, he's been respectful towards me, he was alert and attentive when I was mentioning some of the problems we've had to worry about." She didn't say, explicitly, "while you fell asleep." But the implication was there. "He's bound and determined to make good impressions prove himself, so I think he'll be extra motivated to do a good job. And just because he's fairly unknown doesn't mean he's unqualified." Their orders played a role in the decision too, but she wasn't about to point that out aloud. Hopefully she'd given already given all the explanation that people would ask of her.

She blinked once as she heard the saying...briefly pondering just what those japanese women may have been telling their husbands they were inexperienced at. Before deciding it was something she probably didn't want to dwell on. "I'm sure you'll do fine." It wasn't like she'd ever been all practiced in politics herself.

Kite attentively listens to Triquetra, but says nothing. His visage is nearly inscrutable, even as he looks at the Councilor, as if studying her, evaluating her. He turns towards Alfar again with the same neutral-yet-concentrated gaze, studying him a moment before turning again towards the Councilor. There is no emotion in his face, save for the barest hint of curiosity, and maybe concern – as if he were presented with some sort of important, intriguing mystery or puzzle.

In the end, Kite remains silent. However, after studying the two willworkers for what seemed to be a long while, he finally turns towards Animus, eyebrows raised, as if he is curious about his reaction to these events.

Idun

PRE

"Well, congratulations on your new position, Alfar." Idun says as it seems that Kite isn't going to say anything more. She had watched all of this while holding an open bottle which she has yet to take a sip out of since she took the lid off.

"Well, if that's settled. I think I got a frisbie in here that we can toss about unless we're all expected to leave now that finished business?" Idun is sure to pull out said toy once she grabs her pack from behind her. They were in a park and it just seemed it would be a waste if they didn't do something more then just talk.

Page 4 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last
Closed Thread