Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Brightest Heaven Of Invention

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Justin stirred in the soft bed....wait, this isn't the couch in my apartment...and sat bolt upright when the realization that, no, he wasn't home but had been brought someplace else burned its way through the dull aching insided his head.

Somewhere else....

The Four Seasons. He remembered Rook saying as much. The Four Seasons. The clean room with its noticeable lack of stale cigarette and pizza box odors was a far cry from what he was accustomed to.

Sitting up, he winced as the pain in his side reminded him of the previous evening's activities -- or maybe it had been longer. He wasn't sure. The sudden movement made him feel lightheaded and he fell back onto the pillow. Staring up at the plasterwork on the ceiling, he wondered how bad it really was.

How long have I been out?

Looking down beneath the covers, he saw that somebody had attended to the worst of his injuries. He wondered how they had any sort of knowlege as to how his body actually worked, or if it was a lucky guess. He had broken ribs before in his snowboarding activities - maybe that's what he had going on here. He was pretty sure that they didn't have a mechanic specializing in Arcadia-forged cyborgs on call.

Justin, it looks like you won a concussion. Cracked ribs too. And he was pulling his punches....I think.

If Rook was pulling his punches, then Justin was pretty sure he didn't want to see what the other Elemental was fully capable of.

It had been worth it. Even if he didn't earn his way into the Summer Court, then at least he could identify what needed the most work on a personal and skill set level.

He couldn't sleep. Wincing as he reached for the cable remote on the table next to his bed, he surfed about until he came across something that caught his eye on one of the movie channels.

Kenneth Branagh, in full Good King Harry mode, was urging on the troops. It wasn't the St. Crispian's Day speech, Justin remembered having to learn it when he was in high school, but something just as worthy:

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility;
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood
    Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage.

Raising a finger slightly, as though he was following each point of the speech, Justin found himself starting to understand the why of his ordeal.

Rook wanted to draw out the tiger.

K
    Kazakin

Rook had let Justin sleep off the beating he'd taken, because anyone who wasn't going to let someone sleep off a beating like that was just being an ass. Even if the other Elemental had pushed himself more than necessary, the Metalflesh wasn't going to force him to get up before the bruises had faded from 'angry' to 'annoying'.

He knocked on the door of the room, having just come off his shift in the restaurant downstairs. The music had been lively tonight. He thought perhaps things were improving for the Summer Court- new, talented Courtiers, and a new possibility here. Somehow, that, of all things, had shaken him from his grief.

It wasn't that his thoughts didn't drift to Laura, or that he didn't have those bitter, sudden pangs of memory, the ones that made him deeply appreciate the Winter Court's role in the Freehold. The scent of perfume, like hers. The sound of a woman's laugh. Sometimes, he thought he saw her, when he was walking through the city at night and caught half-glimpses of a passerby.

It was just that in the rise of the Court, he felt useful again. And if he hadn't been able to protect his family, then he could protect them. At least he could give them his experience, his strength where it was useful.

Even if he didn't trust one particular new Courtier not to stab someone in the back. He'd just have to make sure she was firmly pointed towards the Others.

Justin heard the knock on the door and turned off the tv. Reaching for his jeans, which were neatly folded on a chair close to the bed, he put them on. Each movement caused him to wince, but it wasn't as bad now that he had a chance to rest. Besides -- and he really, really hoped that neither Mr. Bates or Mrs. Rosemary had seen him in his underwear -- he wanted to look halfway presentable when he answered the door.

"I'm coming. Please wait a moment."

Walking over to the door he used the peephole and was somewhat relieved to see that his visitor was Rook.

Unlocking the door, he held it open for the other Elemental, then, "Hello, come on in."

K
    Kazakin

Rook stepped into the hotel room and closed the door behind him. His mirrored sunglasses hid exactly where he was looking, but he was fairly obviously studying Justin's injuries. If Justin had been burning glamour, the Metalflesh knew perfectly well from experience that it could result in injuries getting worse before they got better.

"How are you feeling, Justin?"
    the Constable asked, his arms folded across his chest. The dull metal of his face wasn't exactly the best at showing concern, but he was trying. Mostly, it just made his forehead furrow, and the severity of the lines around his eyes increase. "You took quite a beating."

Justin nodded, then, "Man. God but your punches are like getting hit by a small truck. Remind me to not get on your bad side. No really. I'm still feeling it, and it's been...a day? two days?"

He winced slightly as he raised an arm for the purpose of running a hand through his unruly blond hair. The Manikin wasn't lying - he was still feeling the results of the beating and despite his casual oh it's nothing really demeanor he was obviously still in the process of working his way back up to full scratch.

"In short, I feel kinda like shit."

K
    Kazakin

Rook's lips twitched as he tried not to smile, but part of him did feel ever so slightly proud that Justin was still feeling it. It was the pride of a chesspiece, and it made him wince very slightly inside. It was the pride of a thing that knew no mercy, that was designed to kill.

"You should see me when I'm trying,"
    he said, lightly. "You'll be fine. Just don't push yourself like that again unless you need to. Sparring's not the place to see how far you can push yourself. The Iron Spear needs its warriors in peak condition, not continually recovering from friendly tests of skill."

Justin nodded as he mulled over Rook's words, 'the Iron Spear needs its warriors in peak condition' catching his full attention. Was he being offered an in, had he been accepted?

Wincing slightly, he stepped back into the room and sat on the edge of the bed, touching his side slightly as he did so. It would probably take a while to heal.

"You know....I've had a chance to think. If I've earned my way into the Summer Court, or need more work beforehand one thing is clear. I really want - or need - to get back into training. Refine what I know, so that it works in a real-world scenario better, or pick up a few new tricks. I haven't challenged myself the right way in a long time."

He looked up at Rook and smiled slightly.

"I'm going to spend more time at the Forge, get a better game going. It's the right thing to do."

K
    Kazakin

"You've earnt your way in, Justin. There's going to be an... Initiation, let's call it, at the Forge. Mostly, it's an excuse to get extremely drunk and punch someone in the face," Rook admitted, his lips pressing together in a line, briefly. "You're expected to attend, unsurprisingly. You'll be expected to fight. Make sure you're healed up beforehand. Better it gets postponed than you end up with a broken pelvis." He folded his arms across his chest.

"Once that's done, yeah, you damn well better get training. You're not bad, Justin, but you need to find your physical niche over here."
    The Constable paused for a moment. Then he shook his head. "And remember to limit yourself. You're lucky in that regard, at least. You don't have my problem."

'You've earned your way in'

Justin brightened visibly at the pronouncement. Hopefully he wouldn't get his ass beaten too badly while he was the guest of honor at an Initiation, but then he figured that the other Summer Courtiers wouldn't be so inclined to go easy on the new guy. In pragmatic Elemental fashion he figured that it was part of the culture of Summer, and he resolved to learn as much as he could.

But then, the Initiation with its emphasis on drinking and fighting sounded like a Saturday night Frat Party to the Manikin's way of thinking.

He smiled slightly, then, "I'm....honored to have been allowed to join. I hope that I'm useful to the Court, and I'm going to do all I can to continue to prove myself worthy of being a part of it." Uhm. Is there anything special I need to wear or bring with me?"

K
    Kazakin

"Bring yourself. Wear something red, if you like. A lot of Courtiers do, but it's not like there's a dress code. Just be... comfortable, I suppose," Rook said, shrugging. "Don't sweat it too much. It's basically a party in your honour." He studied the other Elemental, trying to read emotional cues. He realised pretty quickly that that wasn't going to happen. Reading an Elemental while being an Elemental was just too much of a stretch, even when his mind wasn't on the Board.

"After that, we'll see what happens. King Spartan'll probably have his own ideas what'll happen. I'm just the Constable, so my bit's pretty much done as long as you behave yourself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread