Mana: Full
    WP: -2
    Vae
    Adamantine Arrow, ObrimosSentinel

Status (Culture) •
    Status (Emergency Services) • [Officer Gideon]
    ST INFO

PRE

Once, Granite Park had been the not-so-innocent hangout for skaters, drug dealers, and the local free-running club. Then people began disappearing, and the resonance of death and entropy became thick enough to even tickle at the survival instinct of those still Asleep. It was almost a year since the necromancer had been killed, and fresh resonance slowly replaced the old, like dandelions in the cracks of pavement. West still ran here, to patrol, and to practice, and every now and then gave a small nod of approval at other visitors as they ran down the path. His breathing was even and practiced, the running was something he spent hours each day at.

"I'm glad you're an Arrow," he offered absentmindedly, glancing over at Vaeltia. He could have handled The Mysterium -- but The Ladder would have disappointed him, and he knew it often beckoned the Mighty.

Thanks, it did take some thought you know,” She said glancing in his direction, “But in the end my father’s a cop, just made sense for me too.” She stretched, letting her muscles warm up slightly, beneath the dark running capris and sports bra she wore under a white, mostly open, windbreaker.

So how far are we running, or we doing tag again? And you do you say about on the fly magic?” she asked with the innocence of an apprentice as she loosened her muscles.

"You know, my drill sergeant used to tell us that we were going to run until he got tired. Lucky for you, I'm not saying that while sitting behind a desk," West answered, smiling at the memory. He wore his usual black sweatpants with gold lettering down one leg that said "US CAVALRY", and as she began stretching, he turned away to scan the park.

Although most people never saw it, he did have a healthy competitive streak, and agreed to her proposal. "Tag is the game, then. You set the rules, and the stakes, and I'll check the 'Helpful Master' box by suggesting you start with 'No Acceleration...'."

She snorted softly at his memory, while in the back of her mind she was just ever so thankful for that. “Okay,” She mumbled a bit surprised at that. “I’ll take your suggestion, No Acceleration, obviously nothing vulgar, lets keep it relatively fair because you’ve been doing this longer than I have. General thought of nothing illegal.” She let herself think for a bit more on the rules she would put up. After all he was significantly more experienced than she, after all you don’t become Magister by being lazy.

Um...No purposeful direct bodily harm. As for stakes, I want your hat if I win. If I loose I’ll muck out the stables for a week. Sound fair, or should I add something?

West mulled over the rules. He could think of a few interesting Forces tricks that weren't Vulgar and was already curious to see if she knew them or what she would improvise. The bodily harm caveat surprised him and he turned to look at her, wondering what had spurred that. Of course he couldn't expect her to not have heard other people talk about him, but he was still a bit surprised, and even a bit disappointed that she felt it needed to be said.

"My hat?" His curious look became more open now, for a moment not understanding.

"The Stetson?"

He would have given it to her if she wanted it, but maybe she wanted it for a trophy.

"Sounds fair enough," he answered, twisting his torso right, then left, loosening it. "Want a five second head start?"

Yes the Stetson.” she said giving him a quick raised eyebrow look, as if challenging his claim on the hat.

She nodded as he accepted the terms and as he began to loosen his torso she started to move, with only the lightest brush of her hand on his arm and a trilling laugh. “Yes, and Tag, you’re it.” The thought of magic for a moment gone even from her own thoughts as the game and the thrill set into her mind.

West shaped the Imago in his mind: a disc paper thin and two feet wide, slick as wet ice, and spun it into creation under her feet. Friction dropped to nonexistent, leaving her running in place, and after five seconds he tapped her on the shoulder as he skipped by, grinning, and released the spell.
    <Friction Control, Tome of the Mysteries>

"Au contrare," he drawled in that special way that Texans mangle French. "Tag..."

You didn’t even give me fi--That’s not fair!” she thought as she realized what he had done during those five seconds. And her offended look turned to one of determination, and she pulled herself onto her feet as soon as she felt the friction return. Her mind now moving through the mental catalogue of what she could use, despite her fairly weak grasp of the arcanum.

She began running after her master, still thinking, and the only thoughts she could come up with didn’t seem to work. "Not fair." she said again through gritted teeth to herself.

He had to admit, it was a dirty trick. He sifted through the Arcana she had shown proficiency at, coming up blank himself. It made him curious what she'd wanted to try when she asked about spells. He turned, jogging backwards; it would slow him down enough for her to catch him, and he held out his hand to tease her.

"So what's with the hat?" he asked, curious.

It’s too easy for him? She thought, as she grasped for straws of what she could do. And then an idea hit her, along with the slight doubt that it wouldn’t work. You never know though.

It’s a nice hat.” She said as she pushed herself to tag his hand, knowing fair well he would just pull it away at the last possible second. In a smooth fluid, practice move she tapped her forehead before reaching out again. Sending vibes of confusion towards the Magister hoping on a prayer it would work.
    <Emotional Urging, Rote, Core book pgs 207-8>

"Mmmmmm?" he asked, thinking about the hat. It was an OK hat. She'd probably never been close enough to it it notice the ring on the inside or that it smelled like sweat. It was a genuine Stetson though, but if he had a nice hat, it would probably be...

He exhaled sharply through his nose when he felt her fingers, a hint of smile at what she'd done.

Turning to follow her he called out, "I'm going to hang it on the wall so you can see it while you're cleaning the stalls..." He held his own spells, watching to see if she would do something, to see what else she had up her sleeve.

She wanted to flick her tongue out at him, in that casually childish gesture of defiance, but there was no time for it. The moment her fingers managed to glance his, she took the next few steps and then twisted hard right. In a different direction she sped; using the direction change to at least use some of the terrain to her advantage instead of the slow arcs.

You’ll have to catch me first.” She returned as she changed direction again, this time taking her behind a skating ramp as she began to draw in power, holding it until an opportune moment. There was no finishing clause. She thought No way to say the game is over. Damn, I knew I was forgetting something.

As she disappeared behind the ramp, he spun threads again, this time around himself to create a funnel upward. He took a breath as he jumped at the ramp, kicking upward and grabbing the top lip and rolling over the top in complete silence as the noise of his maneuver was dissipated. Dropping down silently, he released the spell, poking her in the back, just under the ribs to make her jump.

"Like that?" he asked, darting away to kick-climb another ramp to come to a stop at the top.

IIEEE!” She squeaked as she jumped to face him, one hand gripped over her mouth the other bent in a claw as if reflex. The gathered energy was dissipating, and her grasp on the threads slipping. She was frozen for a moment as she noticed he had jumped up. “NOT FAIR!!!” She shouted as she instead pulling from her own Aether and flinging the rote on, to see his aura as he raced away.

She let determination get through to her face, and she began to pick up speed, reclaiming the lost energy again. She began to cut through places fenced off with chain, and only once actually climbing the fence, to get closer. Then she pulled another mind trick, with a quick focus and the push of a single word ”Left”, a mental tap to knock her master closer.
    <Voice from Afar, Core pg210>

West laughed, inwardly beginning to keep score of how many times he could make her say 'Not fair!' as a personal scorecard for this, and future, training.

If he hadn't been former Army, or maybe if Staff Sergeant Lehr had been less inclined to do Drill and Ceremony, it might not have worked. He knew it wasn't his idea, but hundreds of hours spent training or marching had ingrained habits he still hadn't shaken, and so he turned left.

Vaeltia zipped behind him, tapping him lightly as she did before veering off again, honestly surprised that it worked in the first place. She tripped suddenly, before rolling into a half pipe, her breath starting to grow heavy. She risked a glance over her shoulder at the Magister before pushing herself forward again. In a duck and run, holding a spell at bay until he got close again.

West's breathing was still light and even: enough that he had the spare breath to laugh softly at her, and himself. He began drawing power to weave into a spell until he remembered the rules on Aspect. The threads softly unwound and he considered the situation, scaling the edge of the half pipe and mirroring her along the top ledge.

"You tired?" he asked conversationally.

She hadn’t seen him; rather she had heard him when she began to run. It was almost predatorial the way he was…hunting.

Why, you want to quit?” she asked, an edge of snark working at the tone she used -- that would get her in the ass later, she was sure of it. As she mentally smacked herself in the face she turned another corner and scrambled up and over a low fence, hoping to extend the distance between the two of them. That was when she let the spell drape over her, trying as best she could to make it subtle. She didn’t want the misdirection to be noticed right away only when he was too close for comfort.

In this game, anywhere above her was too close for comfort.
    <Misperception, Core, p209>

Watching her head for the obstacles, and listening to her voice, West decided to push her buttons a little, to see how she'd deal with the stress.

A thin ribbon of Fate appeared in his hand, and he cast it out toward her, causing the connection between them to glow softly and provide a path for him to follow.
    <Interconnections, Core >

"Quit? I was just asking if you needed a time out," he answered as he rolled over the top of the fence.

A thought crossed his mind, and he added another spell, sliding it down the line of Fate between them.
    <Trigger the Lizard Brain, core >

"Running is thirsty work..." he called out, putting words to the primal instinct he lit within her.

Even as she was running she felt his eyes on her, and the imagined sound of him dropping from the sky. The cold ice grabbing at her lungs and draining the blood from her face was noticeable to her. The words he spoke coated in the changes of dialect and normally cool to the ears only iced her over and added to the feeling of fear that settled around her. There was no mistaking that she was prey.

The second heartbeat and she could feel the chills raising the hairs on the back of her neck and she felt her mouth parch. She ran, putting her fear into her steps, and began to struggle to remove her mind from the fear that had suddenly contained it. She looked around wildly looking for a way out before she noticed a thin cord that had wrapped around a hand and reached back to where her master moved.

NOT FAIR!” she shouted once again, before the chase began again.
    Speaking {0FAF0B} || Thinking {8340A8}

nimbus

Presence •••

West
    Adamantine Arrow

PRE

West jumped down into the half pipe, rolling with the curve and coming out of the roll with all of the momentum from the gravity vault as he burst forward to chase her. He cleared his mind of the taunts and focused on speed, closing the distance between them. He knew he was faster, and could run longer: he wanted to see her reaction to her options being reduced to zero.

She ran, her eyes starting to tear as the heady thoughts of run were reaching her. The something hit her: play the rabbit, not the deer. She began a piece of a straightaway, feeling him move in closer to her, and she let him. Until he was only a few tens of yards away, She flung her arms back letting the open windbreaker release from her shoulders and catch the wind into the air before she continued forward.

She took another step, larger than usual with a slight slide as she twisted her leg to plant it and push off in the direction she had come from, ducking and sliding beneath the other mage.

The rabbit, fear drives it towards the fire...to Safety.

The white nylon kite surprised him, and the soft rustle of it as he wound it up in his hands was like soft laughter. Some things couldn't be taught, and being able to be resourceful under pressure was one of them. There were seasoned Arrows in the city that couldn't do it. He pulled slightly at a sleeve, testing the tensile strength of the jacket.

He opened his mouth to make a joke but changed his mind at the last moment, frowning slightly.

His hands reversed their motion, unfurling the windbreaker and holding it aloft like a white flag.

"OK," West called out loudly. "You win, come on back."

Vaeltia stopped her dash, falling and rolling before springing back up looking in his direction. Her face was flushed and she was bent over, her hands on her knees, eyes on him unsteadily as she breathed heavily, swaying slightly but still standing. She waved the hand at the string that connected them. Her muscles still tense, and her chest heaving.

Is...is this just a times?” she asked. “Or...actually done?” From her distance, not willing to be snared in any form of trap.

Eyes narrowed slightly and there was a hint of a frown and he approached, holding the windbreaker out to her.

"Have I ever lied to you?" There was just enough curiosity in his tone to indicate it wasn't a rhetorical question.

"Anyway, yeah, done, done. Nice work. You surprised me."

She forced down the instinctual reaction to his approach. Making her muscles relax before they began cramping as she caught her breath.

No, but your spells are still on me,” she said through gritted teeth. Her back was bared to him as he stood over her revealing the wicked looking scar that curved from under the sports bra beneath her right arm in a lazy S down into the dark running capris she wore. “Please, Sir, release me, I don’t think I could manage a counter right now

She extended a hand for her windbreaker, in a silent request for it back as she rose to her feet.

He opened his mouth reflexively, about to ask her to just call me West, but his eyes landed on the scar. The Interconnection between them slowly unraveled and the threads dissipated as they fell away from the dismissed spell.

"What's... what's that from?" he asked, hesitantly, but pushing through and ending on a strong, questioning note. There was a jumble of emotion that muddied his thoughts; concern, that he might be bringing up something she was self conscious about, embarrassment, that his eyes had wandered, protective anger, that his Apprentice had been hurt, and finally fear that it was him who had done it, that it was a souvenir of his Gambit.

The ice moved into her veins again, at his words. Her face paled again as she snatched her windbreaker and thrust her arms through the sleeves.

A knife.” she said coldly, her eyes growing equally as icy. “And a memory.” She noticed the flickering emotions on his face. “A souvenir of the seventeenth year of my life.” She shuddered. What had happened that year, right after she had turned sixteen, it still haunted her. And the nightmares had yet to dissipate.

In that moment, as the emotions of that night, the cold touch of the metal to her skin and the burning pain as it sliced her open returned to the forefront of her mind, she doubled over, a hand clasped across her mouth as whatever she had eaten previously threatened to return to daylight.

West had spent enough time in dirty, dusty desert sprawls halfway across the world collecting HUMINT to have seen 'hostile interviews': the thought that it had been deliberate caught him off guard. He felt immediately guilty for bringing it up, small relief that it hadn't been his Gambit, and another surge of guilt for feeling that relief.

The vehemence of the reaction set his nerves on edge, and for a brief moment he considered Shifting the Sands of the hourglass upward; erasing the moment, and forgoing the question. It was a slippery slope, that, and she deserved better.

"I'm... sorry," he finally said, "For bringing that up."

Unsure of what to do, or say, he moved a little closer. His hand moved toward her, stopped, and moved again, before returning awkwardly to his side. He wasn't sure of how, or if, he could comfort her, or how his poor attempt would be received, and so he did what soldiers do: he waited, hoping his silent presence would lend some small solace.

She closed her eyes, shutting out the thoughts, and falling to her knees. Her hand was gripped on her mouth as a safe guard as she quickly forced the memories of rough hands and cold steel into the dark recesses of her mind barring them in her mind and putting the nausea to it’s proper place. She waited like that, kneeling until her mind was sorted and a small song was sung-whispered beneath her breath.

...for the female of the species is more deadly than the male” She breathed deeply and returned to a standing position. “I’m sorry you had to see that.” she returned, her voice even despite the smudge of a wiped away tear.

"See what?"

It was lame, but it was all had. Besides, what happens in the squad stays in the squad. Since The Neidan had disintegrated, she was as close as he had to... someone close. It still didn't change the fact that if she ever got around to elaborating, there was a good chance someone was going to get shot.

"Anyway, good job. The jacket thing surprised me," he segued with all the grace of an eighteen wheeler jack-knifing.

Still, there was a subtle undertone of surprise, pride, and respect: he wasn't surprised often. It also was a sign that maybe he himself had gotten over-confident in his ability, and would be something to meditate on. His eyes fixed on her cheek with the tear, and he kept babbling with the desperation of most men confronted with a tear. "So, yeah, the Stetson. It's yours, solid win."

Thank you.For the small favor of not seeing me cry. She completed the sentence in her mind as she looked up at him, feeling unnaturally small and frail as she shook with the repercussions of retaining the sudden flow of emotions.

She was able to give him a small smile, the distraction was honestly a lucky pull, and the fact that it worked was barely short of a miracle. It had been timed as close as she could get it, but the mad dash past him had been the hardest of it all.

But when he said the Stetson was hers she turned him down with a hard look and a solemn tone of voice. “No, instead this weekend I’ll be working in your stables.” The tone she used indicated that the thought was not up for argument. “I haven’t earned it yet, yes I might have surprised you, but I haven’t earned it.

"Yes," he replied, in answer to her 'No'. It was much the same tone he'd used with Animus when the Hierarch had suggested they let spelled wild wolves run around the city.

He held out one hand, as if weighing something. "You kept going, and fighting, when the pressure increased, and found an option." Then he held out the other. "On a more personal note... I haven't been surprised like that in years."

West leaned forward, bracing his hands on his upper thighs so that they were eye level.

"Sometimes the game isn't winning the game. Sometimes it's how you play. You played it right. You win."

He almost referenced the Kobayashi Maru, but didn't want to detract from the point he was trying to make by having to explain it if she wasn't a Trekkie. He doubted she was a Trekkie.

She opened her mouth, another rebuttal on her tongue, she thought for a moment and then spoke. “You have a point, but then when was the last time you played tag?” It was just a surprise, a rather simple diversion and something she had done in grade school. That shouldn’t have surprised him; really it was one of the older ideas that came in the schoolyard.

I’ll take your hat then, but we both won.” She began to walk away. “So I’ll see you Saturday.
    Nimbus

Closed Thread