Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Caged Dreams

Sam Skrit, Wizened, Spring Court
    Tam, Thyrsus, Mysterium

Sam sat in his cage, hugging his knees to his chest. The wood poles that made up the cage seemed very familiar, like smaller versions of the last two cages he was in. He couldn’t tell if Snout was making new, smaller cages, ever time Sam failed to escape, or if he was just shrinking the same cage.

I’m not here, thought Sam. This is just a dream. It must be. Snout is gone. I lost him in the Hedge. I’m not worth the effort to track all the way through the Hedge, and out.

“Squawk!”That damn bird was still tethered to Sam’s cage. It was big and blue, no, green. As Sam’s memory faltered, the bird changed to what he thought he remembered.

Sam counted on his fingers the obstacles to his escape, speaking out loud as each finger rose from his palm.

“The bird, sensitive to thoughts of escape, but paralyzed by thoughts of rain.”

The bird stiffened and fell over. Sam remembered thinking of rain, practicing the imagery in his head for hours before trying to escape without actually thinking about escaping.

“The lock, old bronze, stronger than the wood it clinched.”

The lock suddenly fell from the cracked wooden bolt. It vanished before it hit the ground. Sam didn’t remember where it fell, but the wood splintered under the leverage of metal.

“The squeaky hinge, silenced with a gentle touch from both hands.”

The door swung open silently. Sam remembered pushing the door open with his foot.

The cage was gone and Sam was still sitting with his knees hugged to his chest. He was awake, on a couch in the office of a tattoo shop on 12th street. The owner allowed him to crash here occasionally. Sam laughed at himself. It was just a dream. There had been more escape attempts after that, each one rewarded with a smaller cage.

But Sam was here, in Sacramento, in a tattoo shop, laughing softly to himself, until laughter turned to tears. Then, he just cried himself to sleep.

Sam Skrit, Wizened, Spring Court
    Tam, Thyrsus, Mysterium

Sam dunked his bloody hands and tattooing tools into a bucket of cold water. He splashed water onto his violet face. The evening air was warm, and the camp smelled of sweat, some of it his. The faint scent of cat and leather came to him.

“I do not have any scraps for you,”said Sam without turning around. He grabbed a cloth and dried his tools one at a time.

“Your conversations are scraps enough for me, Sam,”came the cat’s voice. “Not many here bothers to speak to me, and nobody ever offers me food.”

“Speaking with you eases my mind,”said Sam. He dried his hands, then turned to facethe cat. “None of the guards will talk to me. The soldiers and slaves I tattoo aren’t smart enough to keep up.”

The cat sat there, looking up at Sam. Its eyes were almost obscured by the gaudy leather hat it wore. The feather was broken, though.

“What happened to your hat?”asked Sam.

“Damn dog soldiers,”spat the cat. “I was chatting up some pretty goblins and the burly boys came over to hassle me. Made me look bad in front of the ladies.”

Sam smiled softly.

“I’m not sure those powdered and painted goblins can be called ladies. Besides, they only get paid to play with soldiers. You would have had to give them something.”

The cat smiled an un-cat-like grin.

“No,”said Sam, interrupting, even before the feline spoke.“Something THEY consider currency.”

“You would be surprised, my friend, you would be surprised.”

“Enough,”said Sam, banishing images from his mind.“You wanted to hear more about Hamlet?”

“No, not that bozo,”said the cat.“I want to hear about Ophelia. She is truly the tragic one.”

“You think so? She didn’t lose her father or her kingdom to betrayal.”

“Oh, pshaw, Sam,”said the cat, waving a paw in the air.“She lost her sanity, her innocence, then took her own life!”

“Her innocence?”Sam thought for a moment.“You know she also lost her father, too. And some say the reason she was given Rue was to abort a child, so there is an argument against her innocence.”

“Life was good,”said the cat, ignoring Sam.“Then her love starts acting weird, kills her father, and she goes mad. She wasn’t playing power games.”

A clang interrupted the conversation.

“Dinner is ready,”said Sam. He hated most of the food served.“I’ll have scraps for you. Come visit my cage later tonight.”

“That cage is too small for you to fit into,”said the Cat.“Why do they bother to chain you to it?”

Sam shrugged. The cage got smaller as punishment, but now, he was outside the cage.

“Scraps and Ophelia, then?”

“Maybe I can get you a feather from that damn bird,”said Sam.“Tomorrow night we talk philosophy. I’m tiring of Shakespeare.”

Closed Thread