Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Hit the road Zé

m
    mabafu

Las Vegas, 21/11/2011

Suddenly I begin to hear the drums. They take me from the Nană's arms and awake me once more.

I arise from the ground, showering earth on all the herd nearby.

As the ritual demands, one of the girls salutes the 'Consort of the High Priestess' while the rest of the herd chants calm trance-like gaelic verses.

Then, an assistant came, putting the offering's hair aside, exposing her neck, gentling conducing her to kneel before me.

I thankfully accept it, and sink my fangs on the pale rosed skin of her.

As I drink the life from her, feeling all the guilty going down my throat, I think about to stop with all that and save the girl's life. But I know, she was already dead the night before, when Eve had choosed the 'beloved daughter' among her herd. Beyond that, the whole ritual is a gift that Eve would never admit it to be refused...

So I did it - again.

Eve speaks something in a forgotten language, with all the herd following her with another incomprehensible words in response.

- It's done my child. Now, pleased by the Goddess you are ready to go and find yourself.

- You're sending me to death High Priestess, Sacramento it's a impossible destination.

- Fool child... Haven't you learned nothing about the Goddess ways? She will bless you as long as you honor her. You'll not find anything on your path that you don't deserves. Be responsible, child, because your responsability is great. We're one blood. Don't forget it.

Saying that, Eve kisses my forehead, turns to the herd and a frenetic chant fills the cave.

After exiting temple I resist to look back for a while. Few steps and I look over my shoulder to see that fake Gas Station for the last time.

The highway is just before me. I wear my backpack and carefully attach the berimbau to myself.

- There are plenty of cars, maybe it's not going to be that difficult...

m
    mabafu

I'm still trying to understand why Badb did that...

It took hours before a single good soul stop aside the highway to give me a ride.
    Then that stupid crow, came from nowhere, and scared the old man away - beaking the van's frontal glass and making all that horrible noise.

I was already used to the feeling of being constantly watched by that hellish bird, but this was the first time that it went so crazy.

After spoiling my ride, Badb flew to a nearby tree branch, and began to call me.
    As I got close, he flew to the next tree, and then to the next, repeating it a couple of times.

I realized that Badb was making me get out of the road, and soon I began to walk amidst dried tree bushes and dirty ground. I'd tried to just ignore her, but it was an impossible task, as she kept coming back after me when I turn my backs to her.

After making me walk a mile this way the bird finally take off towards the direction of the Mount Charleston, leaving me alone to curse it.
    The message was clear, Eve don't want me to travel by the shortest path.

So I kept walking towards the mount, avoiding the roads. Just me and the desert.
    The cold was just a minor disconfort. What really concerned me was the darkness. It seemed that the waxing moon wasn't interested on give some light to my path...
    Soon the distant lights were my only reference.

I keep walking through the irregular terrain until I saw a village.
    On the old cellphone display the time was 4:00am.
    I decided that it was time to sleep. Charleston will have to await until tomorrow...

m
    mabafu

Las Vegas, 23/11/2011

I'm awake again, and hungry. It seems that being 'outside' has it's drawbacks. For a long time I desired that freedom, and now I see that it pays its toll. Recluse inside that cave, I don't remember myself to be concerned about blood any single night.

Eve could be unstable and some times unnecessarily cruel but she knew how to deal with her Herd (even after two years hearing that word, herd, and it still sounds bad to my ears). She always kept the kine healthy and, albeit all the regular acolytes on the temple, only the 'High Priestess' and his 'Consort' had permission to fed upon the 'priestesses'.

Now, in the middle of the desert following the directions of a sadistic crow, I wonder if it was a good exchange after all, that easy blood for my freedom. But it don't matters now, what matter is that I must hunt. My first 'real' hunt, as I'm sure that Eve was watching me on all the other through the eyes of Badb.

I remember to hear once that there was camping area on the Mount Chaleston. So I think I'm going to kill two rabbits with one shoot.

I don't know if it was the hunger, but I didn't noticed how fast the four hours that I took to reach the Charleston had passed. I also didn't noticed the Badb's annoying 'koww-koww-koww', and it was a good feeling. At Brazil people don't like ominous bird hanging over their heads, and I was raised like that. It feels good to doing something by myself at least.

After walking that road for some minutes, a security patrolling jeep stopped by my side. The so called ranger made me a lot of questions, and after talking a while in his radio communicator, he decided to give me a ride to the top of the mount.

Soon all that severe 'guard' stereotype gave place to an informal chatting about footbal, women, and what a young NIGGA like me wanted at Charleston. Then I lie, lie, and lie. But, as I was never very good at doing it...

Simon - yes, that was his name - braked the jeep causing it to drift a few feets before stopping. Then the gun at my face, and things get harsh.

So I thought, "ok, he'll try to arrest me or to give me to the local authorities, as he was a private guard". But no. The SoB tried to rob me...

It was very upsetting, and as the beast was already hungry, the 'offense' was the perfect excuse to tempt me into make him swallow the gun and all bullets on his belt. I jumped at him receiving three shots before immobilizing him and bite his throat. After that he did not offered much resistance.

And that was my first 'real' hunt. A disaster, but it was 'my hunt' after all...

About Simon? I left him breathing, with difficulty, and at the moment that didn't make me feel so bad. "He is alive" I thought. But, yes, I knew... he should not survive the blood loss.

After lefting the 'scene'... that 'koww-koww-koww' came back.

Not a 'real hunt' at all... yet.

m
    mabafu

Beatty whereabouts (Route 95), 25/11/2011
    Beatty. It sounds funny to Brazilian ears... pretty much like 'beatified'.
    But it must mean something else... this 'gringo' idiom always playing me tricks.

By foot. She wants me to do it ... by foot, and that damned crow...
    How can she find me anywhere I go? That's scaring.
    I'd not heared her yet, but I bet that she is just over me, watchful.

I was cruising the Veterans Highway since yesterday, and a couple of hours ago I'd noticed the lights of the Beatty town.
    It don't seems to be big, so I think I'll need to be very carefull when hunting there.
    I'm not hungry yet, as Simon's blood is still fuelling my steps, but I'll not miss the opportunity to fill the tank.
    It'll be a long journey... and I must to be always ready for anything.

I was walking some yards away from the highway border, just to be sure that some drunk driver wouldn't hit me unaware.
    Yes it happens very often when you are driving to or from Vegas. Then the sounds of wings over my head and ...

"Koww-Koww-Koww"

Badb landed on a highway sign and began that annoying noise.
    Before I could reach the sign, another noise came from the road.
    The deep and bass sound of that heavy American motorcycles. It scared the crow, and Badb flew away.

As I'd never saw one of those choppers, I thought it will make no bad if I just hang near the sign to look them pass.
    They came in three, not too fast. Imponent without doubt.
    Two of them with chicks on the back seat. The other one, leading, was alone.

But when the big, bearded and fat guy passed by me our beasts knew themselves.
    When the other two passed they just confirmed what I've felt.
    A coterie, no, worst... a gang.

The choppers slowed down and, without stopping, they made a big counter clock-wise return, using all the highway to do it without any fear as it was pretty desert.
    The sound of the motors that already were aloud became more and more strong as they approached me.
    They kept the lights at my face, watching me while they were talking among themselves - in Spanish.

Then the lights were turned off.

"- żQue haces en nuestra estrada cabrón?"

It seems that the boss just thought I would not understand him, and laughed at my face followed by his mates and their bitches.
    Besides Portuguese and Spanish not being the same thing, I can pick much of what is said - most of the time.

The fucking Exu ordering me to yell some offensive words in reply.
    However, I know some maths... and three, or five, is too much to handle alone.
    Shut up Exu! I'll deal with them, my way!
    The beast became furious inside me... but obeyed.

"- Que estrada?"

I said with a defying smile and pointing to the ground - the sign, and me, were outside the highway, of course.

After some seconds, they stopped to laugh.
    The engines were abruptelly silenced.
    They get out of the motorcycles. The girls stayed.

"- You've undesrtood me, cabrón, what the fuck are you doing in my road?"

The big fat guy got close, so close that I could smear the old blood stench on his jacket.

"- I'm just trying to get out of your fucking road. I'm looking for a new city."

He laughed again.

"- Don't you think that a vehicle could make it easier?"

Thank you Eve, for that.
    I didn't wish to tell all my story. All I want is to get rid of them.

"- Are you seeing any vehicle with me?"

"- Hijo de puta! Watch your words! It had being a good time that we don't ash anybody."

Just after the boss said that, his mates showed me their claws.
    Fuck... I'm dead.

"- As I told you, the only thing I want is to reach some place. I'm not looking for trouble."

The fat man laugh again.

"- Too late cabrón. We are the trouble incarnate! But you are lucky tonight..."

He laugh louder and louder.

"- Jesus needs you! Will you disappoint Jesus?"

More laughs.
    One of the clawed guys, came closer. It was short, bald, and from Spanic ascent.

"- This bastard just get into the Bruja! He needs his first trophy. Guess what? You got beautiful ears!"

I think that ashed ears would not make a good trophy, but I get what he meant.
    Well, one-to-one... better than fight the five at once.

"- If I beat him, I'm free to go?"

Laughs, laughs, laughs.
    And then, Jesus, spoke.

"- If you beat me you can take my babe!"

The other two seemed surprised with that.

"- Thanks, but I rather choose my own bitches..."

Laughs.
    And the last of the tree finally spoke, a towering black guy.

"- Idiot! He meant his Harley! Not his food."

Without much options left, I took it.

"- Okay, any rules?"

Laughs and more laughs again.
    The boss said:

"- Hmm... yeah. There are some rules."

At each "You cabrón!" the boss pointed his fat finger to my nose. The other two laughing all the time.

"- You, cabrón! Needs only to survive."
    "- You, cabrón! Shaw you kill Jesus and we got your ass ashed!"
    "- You, cabrón! Got ashed and we'll pray for your soul!"

They was really getting a lot of fun with that.
    I took my jacket off, throwing it near the backpack and the berimbau.

"- Ok then. I think I'll just make Jesus to have a good sleep..."

Saying that I made a mortal jump backwards, and started the 'gimga'.

The fat boss and the black man enjoyed it.
    Jesus? He stopped to laugh.

We started to fight.
    Jesus was fast, very fast. Celerity of course.
    He tried to hit me with his claws at the first opportunity. However, he didn't knew how to fight - at least nothing beyond that clumsy blows.

For some time, I just kept dodging his blows. Studying his movements.
    That made him went nuts. And so I begin to hit him...
    A jab then another jab, and after I getting 'right distance', I begin to show him, what is "capoeira".
    I strike his neck with a powerful side kick - we call it "rabo de arraia".
    He stared to the boss, as if asking for help. The fat man just laugh at him.

I kept dodging, waiting for their mates to end the match. But it didn't happen.
    Jesus didn't knew how to fight, but he'd claws... So I decided to finish him.

After some other blows I striked him with one of my favored sequences, kicking his throat and his face and, after moving behind him, his spine.
    On the last one, a 'crack' sound was heard, and Jesus went torpid.

I heard three shots.
    Looking behind the boss was lowering his arm, putting his smoking gun on the belt.

"- Nice fight cabrón! What is that? Karate?"

I thought about explaining Capoeira to him, but no, thanks.

"- Yes. Will you keep your word?"

The black man shoot me in the chest, once. Then said:

"- Bruja always keep their words."

I took it as an advice, and just heal it up.
    The black guy took Jesus and put him on his chopper, ordering his girl to go with the boss.
    The small Jesus, tied in a clumsy way, looking like a bizzar backpack on his back.

So, they leave, laughing...

They left the Jesus chick behind, with the motorcycle.
    She seemed drugged or drunk.
    It should be a bonus...

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.