Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
In Which Chase Takes Martha On Reconnaissance

Martha had spent some time with Google. She felt she knew something about Urban Exploring. But she wanted to know more ahead of Mr Ankers' big plan.

From her Haven, she sat down and texted happily: "Sir, I would wish to talk with you more and in greater detail about your plan and schemes. I wish to prepare carefully. Please may we meet and talk? Kind regards, Martha"

She hoped that would be enough.

Chase received the message as he was on the computer himself dealing with that very same issue in mind. He glanced at the message from the Herald with a smile warmer than usual. He hated spoiling the surprise but it would be far better to hash out ideas with an experienced Sacramento-dweller. He replied thus:

"Sweet Herald, you are always the voice of reason and forethought. I would love to meet asap. If you would like we could stroll through Capitol Park and even perhaps stop for a 'bite' to eat. ~ C.A."

He had eaten the night before but there wasn't a reason to hold himself back even with the Dragon's Coil in place amid his Vitae.

Smiling, she was already tugging on her shoe and overcoat as the reply came in. Giving some thought to her own Feeding arrangements, she made certain she had everything she'd need in her satchel for the evening ahead before replying; "Execellent! That sounds a splendid plan, sir. Shall we meet within one and a half hours, at the statue of Father Junípero Serra? It is located within the Park. A stroll in the Park sounds ideal! Travel safe. Kind regards, Martha"

Double checking she had everything she needed, she set off. Checking the security of her Haven before leaving it. A smile as she made her way, with high hopes and jollity in her heart, to the rendezvous.

He had just been thinking about visiting the parks the other evening and this had created a perfect venue for discussion, solitude, and hunting. Had she just referred to herself on a first name basis? Was that meant as an offer for him to make use of it? He jumped to his feet and walked towards his closet to find suitable attire while he texted his reply.

"I'm certain I shall find it without issue, my dear Martha. You be careful as well, see you soon."

He would have to wear something for easy relaxed movement, not too fancy, but still amiable.

Her journey had being long, but uneventful. She had timed it well enough and is waiting by the statue with five minutes to spare. A gentle smile.

Once more tiny Martha is dressed in a sort of Edwardian style school uniform: her straw boater hat, a black blazer, a simple white kneesock, though again the length of her mid calf gymslip conceals that, an Oxford pattern shoe and a neat white blouse crisply ironed. Her hair is tied in neat twin tails...emphasising her youthful look. Once more she wears a simple metal peg leg: a simple aluminium pole pylon, no more than an inch in diameter and ending in a rubber tip. peeks at calf length from her gymslip. A satchel slung from her shoulder. Her twin tails are tied with two, very neat, red ribbon bows.

A modest dab of scarlet lipstick is her only other obvious cosmetic. She stands without her cane. A protective cycling helmet is tied to her satchel.

She lingers on the paved area close to the statue. Looking about with attentive eyes. The colours of the winter blooms shifted in their hues in the bright municipal lamplight that illuminates the statue of the holy man. Martha smiles to herself as she waits. Watchful and calm.

Chase, on the other hand, had left early in hopes to get to a store before they closed for the night. He hadn't much of an extensive wardrobe and he had already exhausted the two suits he had packed in Miss Villier's company. He headed to two addresses he had in mind, the Village Hat Shop where he purchased a black Fiddler Cap, and next to Men's Warehouse to grab a black Bomber Jacket to wear over the slacks, loafers, and slim-fitted black thermal shirt. He had only just made it to the park at the appropriate time looking sharply dressed and walking coolly down the pathway towards the statue.

She is dressed as lovely as always, and he admires her with a smile. After looking Martha over he briefly wonders about the helmet attached to her gear though avoids the train of thought that it would lead to. He waits to speak until he comes up to her, "Hello, my dearest lady, a fine night for a walk, is it not?"

Martha limps closer to greet Chase. Offers a small curtsey and a giggle. "Good evening, sir! Indeed it is!" she chirps, all excited. She examines the attire Chase has donned. His hat comes in for an additional look. Clearly impressed by the solid presence it signals. "I do hope you are well!" she adds, all bright eyed. Her limp more carefully taken now she is without her cane.

The neonate takes pride in his rushed ensemble as she looks him over and grins despite himself before offering her his arm gentlemanly. He hoped it wouldn't be taken as a suggestion that she needed assistance in walking but rather as a way to stay close, to talk more privately between themselves, and a simple desire for connection. Whether she took it or not, he would say, "That I am, especially now that I have you all to myself once again. And might I say you are radiant as always." He pauses to allow her to accept the praise before continuing, "This is the first time I've visited this park, even before when I lived in Sacramento the first time. It's certainly is vast, spacious for those who want a bit of privacy, perhaps. So what thoughts have you about this outing I've conceived for us?" He asks without concern or expectation as he walks slowly down the path beside her.

"Radiant?" she gasps, wide eyed. "Thank you, sir!" she dips another cursty to acknowledge the kind words. Accepting the offered arm. At this distance it is noticeable, even above the scents of the nearby blooms and gasoline tint in the air, that she has an aroma of minty toothpaste and lavender soap again, "I might add, you look very dashing too!" she limped closer, trying hard to walk steadily now she was holding to his arm. Deciding not to rebuke him for not doffing his cap...they do things differently here, she reminded herself. Her own arm is slim and her hands are pale and dainty as they hold to Chase.

"My thoughts, sir? Well, they run to the practical, sir! I am interested to hear about equipment...skills...clothing...what should I need to know, sir, to be useful and not an impediment, please?" she asks, all eager. Clearly enthusiastic.

Pleased to have the lovely lady on his arm, he strode proudly, beaming with energy. To her question he thinks a moment, making the necessary 'hmm' sounds to convey his internal process. "Well for most of the locations attire would generally be casual, allowing for comfort and easy movement. But the Governor's Mansion may allow the more ostentatious members to dress up. It's a 30-room Victorian homestead with a lot of history behind it in the last century. I can tell you that both Regents Donovan and Greyson are considering attending that particular domicile."

Chase paused admiring the flowering rosebushes for a moment as they passed before continuing, "There was the little matter of the security systems for the mansion. But I've made the necessary preparations to bypass them. It's actually quite simple since there's so much documentation available over the internet and my networking background allows me to understand their unique software structure." He hoped she didn't ask him to explain himself further, as the technical jargon would keep them there till morning. Also he hadn't quite decided on the method of bypassing the security and needed more time to set up his laptop as a remote signal device.

"I assure you though, there won't be any problems in that regard. We can tour the building freely and be gone without a trace. Except...that I haven't been able to acquire a key to the front door. Seems a rather mundane obstacle, yet effective against subtlety." He tried to sound confident despite his doubts. And this was only the first venue on the list of spelunking spots.

Martha hobbled along. Listening carefully. Her twin tails bob as she nods at important points. She seems to enjoy looking at the roses too.

She seems fascinated by the idea of remote access. Holding carefully to the offered arm still, she asks, all wide eyed and eager: "Well...all this sounds quite astonishing! But...who is the key holder, sir? Officially, I mean."

"Officially," responded Chase to the petite and curious kindred, "it is a state park groundskeeper, though I've yet to determine their identity. According to their site the building is primarily run during the day by volunteers but there would be someone, a caretaker with complete access who locks up in the evening." He looks down with gentle eyes to observe Martha as he continued.

"Unfortunately since the building closes at 5pm it is unlikely we would be able to discover their identity firsthand. The building is managed along with 9 others by the Capital District Office. The superintendent and maintenance director may have some form of access but it seems a great deal easier just to 'pick the lock'. Once I disable the security there'd be no issue with breaking in, but I'd prefer we left no sign of our stay."

An evening jogger runs by, smiling courteously at the young couple he assumes the two to be. Chase nods his head in polite reply before continuing his explanation to Martha. "Once we leave the estate I thought we may continue the journey to either the Water Treatment Plant or the Old Trainyard just north of it. The trainyard isn't as well monitored as the plant, but I believe the plant would prove to be a spooky and exciting location ideal to Spelunkers."

Martha nods happily to the joggers too...watching them jog along with great interest...watching their legs and feet at work...before her attention goes back to Chase. Happy. She listened with care and seemed to be pondering the puzzle of the key when Chase mentioned the other options. This deflects her train of thought. "The Water Treatment Plant, sir?" her eyes light up, "Please tell me more!" she enthuses, rocking on her heel with glee.

Chase laughs with sincere mirth at Martha's innocent and sudden animation, just like the youth she embodied. So eager. "My, you are excitable," he toys with suggestive tones, "But I will comply to your wishes. The Treatment Plant is very much still in use but very difficult to properly secure. It's a large area of 26 acres with many access points and underground walkways plus pipes galore, but unfortunately there's very little in the way of public documentation. If we did go there we would have to be covert to avoid unnecessary conflict and risk breaching the masquerade."

As he thought, Chase realized he still had much more to do in the way of preparations. He wondered if after Martha and he finished their rendezvous he could stop by each site for to evaluate its security. If they were to go hunting together too the extra vitae would prove useful for that.

Martha gives all this some quiet thought for a moment before nodding. All smiles, her tone eager. "Ah...a pity that it remains occupied...the Water Treatment Plant, I mean! I have little desire to needlessly evade law enforcement! Imagine their high state of readiness after the recent bomb attacks! The destruction of the Parks and Recreation headquarters and that suicide bomber Downtown! I imagine the Water Treatment Plant would count as critical Federal infrastructure and be well defended now." she is wide eyed. Trying not to replay in her mind the vivid sight of the man exploding in the back of the van. "Minimum risk to our...er...lifestyle is my view. Though...I daresay...the cat and mouse of the activity is actually part of the thrill! Though...we could conduct reccon, sir...just to be certain!" she giggles. "What do you think, sir?" she watches Chase, holding tight to his arm.

"What?!" exclaimed Chase unexpectedly, clearly surprised by the mention of the bombing. "What bombing? And on the Park & Recreation headquarters of all things?" He held her close against him, a little anxious by the news. "If I had known that I wouldn't have been so thoughtless to have suggested it." This new information had caught him off guard. What could this mean, what were the implications and how would it factor into his plans. He would have to investigate this more thoroughly, but not tonight. No, it should not effect the excursion, actually it gave it more importance than before. If there were such threats then familiarizing oneself with the city and creating bonding relationships would heighten the kindred resolve and increase general morale. At least, he supposed that was the case.

Resuming a more relaxed demeanor, Chase loosened his grip on her arm. "Well, I suppose one must be prepared for...anything," said cheerfully though without as much mirth. "A reconnaissance venture shouldn't create any noticeable risk. Actually I was considering something like that myself. I'm glad you suggested it though. I haven't even mentioned the Industrial Park or Army Depot." Well I have got my work cut out for me, thought Chase wryly, and this was only meant for recreation.

Martha was ill prepared for the sudden holding closer to him. She wobbled into his arms. Wide eyed. Whispering, "Well, sir, there was a bomb some weeks ago...it was dreadful...I...I simply cannot say for certain if it was directed at any interests in the city...perhaps so. I...I welcome a careful reccon, sir...one should always conduct careful reccon..." her voice trails away as she holds steadily to Chase, looking to him with some improving glee as he seems to share her delight in reccon. She nods. Twin tails wobble as she steadies herself once his hold on her is released and his own mood lightens. She giggles bashfully. "Indeed, sir!"

Gladdened by her carefree nature, and reassured, at least somewhatedly, by her explanation, Chase turns to her again, holding her hands in his own. "Well then it is agreed. We shall perform some recon to decide if the Treatment Plant is an acceptable location for exploration. And who knows, if these so-called bombers have their sights set on it as a potential target then we may intercept and reveal them." He laughs lightly at the absurdity, though still considering it a possibility nonetheless. "So then, about that bite to eat. If you are hungry I wonder if there are any more joggers about..." said with a devilish grin.

Chase had instructed his talented and innocent evening companion to wave down a jogger, a healthy young man with an athletic build, while he hid behind a tree along the walkway. Once he had slowed to engage her Chase appeared behind the jogger, who promptly turned to face him. Once their eyes met Chase triggered his Dominate Discipline to Mesmerize his victim and instruct him to follow him off the walkway into the foliage where he took a prone position. Chase knelt over him and bit down into his neck, there was a momentary retaliation before the poor jogger was overcome by the sensation and lay still while Chase drank. He licked the man's wound thankfully and took a moment to clean his face of residue using a handkerchief. He then whispered into the man's ear a moment, some secret instructions, telling him how he had suddenly taken ill on his jog and would promptly go home when he awoke.

The blonde neonate emerged once again from the treeline to meet Martha, uncertain of how much she had seen or heard, curious what she thought of his methods. "Well, my dear, you said you had something else on your mind?"

Martha clearly felt ill at ease with being party to an ambush like this. But, she co-operated. While Chase Fed, she put herself to use and acted as a look-out from behind a nearby tree. She was quiet for a time. Speaking only after she had adjusted her hat. Trying a shy smile. It would be easy to imagine her raising her hand in class to ask him her questions. "I...I wondered, sir: attire and equipment. What is best to wear and bring on expeditions such as the ones you propose, please, sir?" she asks, all wide eyed. Taking her time to hobble closer to Chase. Each limping step is careful. Watching his lips with an urgent facsination.

Still curious about her refusal to partake in the feast, he watched her closely, looking for some sign of interest. Yet she seemed only concerned with the recon they had been planning. Ah well.

"The traditional black would be best, along with simple form fitting garments." He paused, imagining her in such attire and quickly scolded himself in his mind. Somewhat flustered he continued,"Though nothing too obvious like shinobi-styled uniforms. Sweatpants, long sleeved shirts maybe and likely headgear of some kind. Actually now that I think about it I don't really have anything like that in my wardrobe..." He had only packed suits and some casual-wear clothing but the most casual attire he had was what he was wearing.

"I may just go as I am, since I believe most clothing stores are closed at this hour. But you're free to change if you wish. As for equipment I'm limited in that respect. My few possessions include a laptop and a smartphone which house my limited software programs. On it I have the software necessary for remotely accessing security networks but I doubt the coding will be the same if the security system is different. So I'm not even sure if I'd be able to use it, but it may come in handy anyways."

He paused again, taking a step closer to her and brushing back his blonde locks as he looked down at her eager expression. "...If...you had anything like a jamming device that would disrupt video camera signals..." though he assumed she wouldn't and let himself trail off there.

Her reactions to the Hunting had being mostly caution and wariness. Her attentions had fixed upon the welfare of all participants. Seeing that chase had returned hale and hearty and filled with a bounce had attracted her attentions to his lips. As he spoke she studied his attire. This time as if observing it afresh.

Nodding. Twin tails bob.

"A jamming device? Goodness. No, sir. I have none. Though, I daresay I might attempt to construct one, if you wish me to. In fact, I would welcome the chance to experiment with such a device, sr! The notion seems simple enough. I would worry, sir, that jamming a surveillance camera, however, might only alert a vigilant sentry." she ponders this, stroking at one of her twin tails in a gesture timed to his own sweep of his blonde hair. "As to the sweatpants..." she says with word with a playfully scoffing tone, "...whilst you have the style and grace to make such things tolerably observable, sir..." her hands raise in jocular mock horror, "...I simply refuse to wear long pants of any sort! How beastly! How very...unladylike! Headgear, now that I shall enjoy! A hard-hat helmet, sir...or a beret perhaps?" she asks, all excited.

He laughs again at her insistence to lady-like attire. "Very well, Madam Herald, I would never press upon you such informal fashions, but I see a beret suiting you very well. As for the device, well a jammed surveillance device is better than a disabled one, since we only need to jam it long enough to get past it, which can be attributed to faulty equipment. And so long as I can lock eyes with a sentry I can persuade them to ignore us without doing them harm."

Chase considers the variables for a moment, the clear night air tussling both of their hair gingerly and swaying the branches in a rustle of leaves. "I hadn't realized how resourceful you can be, my dear. Full of surprises!" his familiar gleaming smile returns as he pulls her close against him. "How long would it take you to get one ready? If we can somehow manage to get to their security relay system on site I could attempt to plant a wireless device to allow me remote access. And then we may be able to loop dummy footage to their feeds allowing us relatively free access."

Smiling, but surprised, as she is pulled closer. A small giggle as she tried to estimate how long it might take to build the device. "Oh...maybe...perhaps a week to find the parts and assemble it and test it, sir." a small, shy, smile. "if it becomes troublesome, I shall let you know, sir!" a happy smile. She enjoyed a moment of listening to the wind in the trees.

Chase nodded once his understanding, standing freshly-fed in the midst of nature itself with an intelligent and lovely kindred who shared in his beliefs and ambitions, at least as far as he knew. He felt content and his pride swelled within his husk of a heart. "That will give me enough time to collect and code the necessary software. In a week we shall enact our reconnaissance. It may even give me time to get a hold of the key for the Mansion. Good planning and preparation will lead us to success, sweet Martha. We shall be an example to our fellow kindred that those with passion and ingenuity can find adventure within their city."

It was easy to say, but would the reality hold up to his expectations. It would test his skills as a computer network technician and steer the course of his place in kindred society. Failure was not really an option. But Miss Villier's presence renewed his confidence. Certainly they would succeed.

(The sequel...) After a week of preparation, researching information about the site and modifying his laptop which he held in a stylish black bag slung around his shoulder, Chase Ankers felt for the most part ready. This was to be a reconnaissance mission. It's team members: himself and the Domain's number one Herald, Martha Villiers. He wore black jeans (newly purchased), black boots (on sale for $55), and his bomber jacket and fiddler cap to keep his blonde hair out of his face. On his laptop were schematics of the facility and a breakdown of images for reference.
    He looked out over the vast field north of Old Sacramento. The dismal decaying trainyard behind him and the bright lights of the Water Treatment Plant before him. He crouched as he surveyed the land. No amount of search engines would give him a complete layout of the place. He took it all in carefully. Glancing to his partner he noted, "Martha, do you see how the west side of the facility isn't as well lit as the rest? I read an article that the structure is 90 years old and a lot of it is undergoing repair. Those buildings at the core and far side must be from the recent expansion in 2004. I wonder...we may be able to infiltrate the west side more easily and reduce our chances of detection. What do you think?"

Martha lay down on the ground at Chase's side in a classic sniper posture. She had tried hard to think of clothes suitable for infiltrating. She decided to wear her usual gymslip and black blazer. Though toning down on contrast: having replaced her white kneesock and blouse with black ones. Her straw boater was swapped for a black civillian style beret. She had dyed her blonde hair raven black. The twin tails were gone, her hair neatly trimmed into a very modern pixie cut. Her metal peg leg was there. As was her satchel.

Martha had spent a very dilligent 20 minutes quietly studying the layout through a pair of Army surplus M-16 binoculars.

Resting up on her elbows, she frowned as she handed the binoculars to Chase for him to use if he wanted. "What do I think?" she repeated happily, "Oh my, sir...well, my early assessment is that place closely resembles a fortress, sir!" her words, in a hushed tone, come with a giggle. A cautious giggle though, "Alert sentries...a dog patrol...high fences in good repair...many CCTV devices in fields of interlocking mutual support...a sterile perimeter with high contrast sand to expose infilitration." she sighs, but her glance to the plant indicates she has a renewed respect for it, "The sentries seem alert too. I daresay the recent bombs at the Avalon and the Park HQ have stimulated their attentions and energies. Not to mention the recent hack-attack from the Russians! Whilst it isn't impregnable, it is certainly a very difficult target, sir! A site I would be cautious of invading simply for amusement! There would be dire legal consequence for doing so! If caught...when caught, I daresay, talking our way out of trouble would be less easy than at...say...the Mansion you mentioned!" a happy, if soft, laugh. "Your appetite for danger is clearly much sharper than mine!" she says with wide eyes. As if actually impressed that Chase should have brought her out this far to investigate this site.

Chase took the binoculars as she passed them to him and looked through while she spoke. After she finished he jokingly replies, "Well when you put it like that it sounds too easy." He smiles to her reassuringly and then does a double take as he realizes the changes to her appearance. "Did...did you cut your hair? And it's black." He pauses a moment of surprise before adding, "It's quite fetching actually." Cocking his head to the side in an accepting gesture, he went back to looking through the binoculars observing the obstacles she was pointing out. "Did you say hack attack from the Russians? I hadn't heard anything about that," Chase mused, wondering what else could go wrong with the world.

He would have been lying if the daunting task before them hadn't shaken his confidence but he wasn't about to back out without even making the attempt. But certainly some precautions needed to be taken. "Well you're quite right about the consequences, Miss Villiers, and the need for caution. But you must remember we are not powerless ourselves. At the first sign of danger we shall remove ourselves post haste and without delay." Of course that may well be a matter of minutes based on observations of the perimeter.

Martha was clearly pleased at Chase's observations about her hair. Smiling, she nodded as he mentioned the hacking. Smiling, Martha pulled from her inner blazer pocket a neatly folded printout of the article. Sharing it with Chase with care. "Here, sir..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...TZYN_blog.html

"As you see. This, combined with the recent bombs in the city...well...I do not lack courage, sir. But I am concerned about a very unsympathetic response from law enforcement...from whom my ability to flee is much reduced when compared to yours!" she tries a shy giggle.

Chase took the paper curiously and unfolded it in the limited light provided by the far off plant facility. Once he read it he handed it back with a disappointed frown. "I'm rather impressed by your research skills, sweet Herald. If some anonymous group from Russia could hack into the infrastructure on a whim it would be just as easy to do it myself over the net rather than on site. But the point of the reconnaissance was to see if the site would be potentially available to spelunkers when clearly it is not."

He stood up on his knees and turned to lay on his back, folding his arms behind his head looking up at the sky instead. He sighed audibly, "You could always ride on my back I suppose. I'll admit that wouldn't be at all unpleasant to carry you," he remarked flirtatiously, distracting himself from the disappointment he felt in himself. A week wasted on preparations when he could have been searching for more available locations. Perhaps he'd have to be content with the Governor's Mansion as the highlight of the evening. Why risk more than that? And the railyard was still an easy target, since all it did was contain heavy decommissioned train engines housed by a condemned buildings nearly a century and a half old.

Martha smiled and went to play with one of her twin tails...only...it's not there. She giggles at her mistake and sits up. Trying to hide her peg leg and brushing dust and dirt from her clothes. Bashful at his words. Seeing Chase lay back on the ground, she watched him and decided to lay down and join him. Looking up at the sky.

She too felt disappointed. But, smiling, she remained optimistic. "I am looking forward to the other reccon missions, sir! My father was always very fervent in instilling in me a love of reccon!" she is very eager. "No time conducting reccon is ever wasted!" she repeats her private motto, smiling up to the stars. "Think of all we have learned!" she enthuses. "Do...do you really think I would be easy to carry?" she asks timidly.

Chase was happy to have her join him, but realized a flaw in his statement. Surely she would be easy to carry, yet he was so very weak, especially for a vampire, that he wasn't quite sure of his success if he tried. "Of course," he answered with slight over-enthusiasm, masking any doubt in his voice. "Your elegant, petite frame is ideal for carrying," he said now somewhat more playfully.

He allowed the words to linger in the air before attempting to turn attention away to her mention of her father, "I was rather curious why you had such an affinity for reconnaissance. Was your father a military man then? If you don't mind my asking?"

So many kind words! She smiled and looked to see if Chase was playing a trick with her. Resting her hands across her chest in a neat and modest interlocking of fingers. A happy sigh as she was lost in memories. Chase's easy charm was disarming. A gentle nod. "Yes, sir...yes, he was. A military man of rank...an explorer and diplomat! I am very proud of my father, sir." she smiles. Sincere without being boastful.

The blonde-haired vampire felt almost jealous hearing of her father's exploits. He wished he could have afforded himself a life of exploration and worldly experience. But his own father was a callous businessman, insistent that his son follow a strict formula to success of which gallivanting around the world played no part in. Especially when there were others to do the gallivanting for him. And now he may never see the world, or experience its vastness, what with the risk it had for his kind to travel. His quiet lamentations lay hidden behind eyes that stared affectionately at Martha, attentive to her every inflection.

"He sounds marvelous. An accomplished and seasoned soldier of fortune, as well as fortunate to have an equally marvelous daughter taking up his passion of adventure," the warmth in his voice soothing and brimming with unidentified emotion. "I wish I could say the same for my own lineage, who, despite being accomplished in their own way, would disapprove of my current activities."

Quite simply Martha had no clue at all now if Father would be proud. Would he think me bold and adventerous? Or some awful blue-stocking trouble maker? Am I a credit to the Family, or did I bring ruin, shame and dishonour? I wanted to bring honour...

She tried a shy smile. Chase's silver tounged words soon banished any lingering on such thoughts. His flattery was all too much and she giggled merrily. Her good humour remained and she felt a sincerity when she offered her observation to Chase. "Thank you, sir! Sir, do not sell yourself short! You have many advantages of personal accomplishments and many obvious talents..." she was curious as to the reasons for why he might bring ill repute. But she wanted to accentuate the positive. "...how, then, can I help improve you reputation or advance your position within your family?" she asks, all excited. Turning to look to Chase as she asks her query. Her foot bobbing playfully to some tune in her head.

He turned, easily stunned by her sudden offer of assistance. He had intended to make use of her influence to be sure but for such a thing as family obligations and reputation he hadn't even considered. Her demure smile and form of speech with reciprocated flattery flared his sense of pride, healing the hurt of his earlier disappointment. He smiled, half laughing in semi-astonishment.

"Well I...your offer is welcome, absolutely! But I have no wish to regain the favor of my family, instead I wish to make use of their resources. And, to be clear I speak of my mortal lineage when I refer to family. My present 'family' of Ventrue mean far more to me than some base attachment to my corporate-centric father and shallow self-centered mother. If you truly wish to assist me in this I would be indebted to you. With those resources I would be of even greater use to my fellow kindred cousins." Not to mention being able to afford a more convenient form of transportation. The daily transit of the bus ride was demeaning at best.

Martha listens and smiles. She nodded too. "I see. Well, sir, it does seem as though a selfish family, such as the one you have there, is best kept at arms length. If you give some thought to ways in which I might be able to help, let me know, sir." a sincere smile. "No need for hasty replies at present...we have time yet to watch the stars!" she smiles and lays back on the dusty ground to watch the stars overhead. Sneaking a bashful smile to Chase as she does so. Interlacing her fingers once more over her modest chest.

Returning the smile, Chase slides up against the tiny title-holder, admiring the stars that winked encouragingly from the heavens. The wind tussled the locks of hair that stuck out from the rim of his hat and brushing lightly on his skin. He was content like this for the moment. His family and resources could wait. The wind, the earth at his back, the dancing light of the stars. Well he supposed they could be a bit brighter but he had the Treatment Plant to thank for that. Nature called to him now, and it calmed him.

"For later," he said, patting her hands. "For now this is fine. Just this." A moment passed without a thought.

Of course it wouldn't last as his rigid mind began to turns its gears once again, and concerns reemerged. The night was wearing on and there was work to be done. He glanced over at Martha to see how she fared.

Tiny Martha seemed to be fairing well enough. Quite untroubled by the earth at her back, she looked up to the stars and remained in the posture Chase had last seen her in before his reverie. Smiling to herself. She too was clearly a stranger to inaction. Her foot bobbing to some unheard tempo. Her eyes clearly watching up at the stars. Tracing the flight paths of jets overhead or tracing the patterns of constellations.

"Well then," he said as he began to stand to his feet, brushing off the dirt as best he could. "What do you say, my dear, to stopping by the Mansion for a quick recon there?" He offered his hand to her to help her to her foot and delicately brushed the bit of dirt that clung to her beret. "If you're still up for it, unless...you'd prefer some other evening activity?" he implied vaguely with that same warm disarming voice.

The mansion, now under risk of being decommissioned as a historical tourist attraction, would likely be far less secure than the utilities of the Treatment Plant. He could at least test the security there and the various points of entry and exit. It depended on how daring the darling Martha felt like being that night.

Martha was shy and bashful as she is helped to stand. Her dainty hand eager for the aid in standing. It is no easy task for her and she is grateful, if bashful, at the help. A soft and sincere thank you is offered. Another thank you is offered as her beret is cleaned. Coy and quiet she listens. "I am always eager to conduct reccon, sir! But...what other activity did you propose we might do instead, sir?" she asks. Her question seems honest and filled with curiosity. Another shy smile too as she adjusts her beret and satchel and seems to enjoy a moment of stillness as she balances.

"Well, my learned lady, my guileful gentlewoman," he whispered in hushed honeyed intonation. "I have enjoyed this time spent together getting to know this fascinating and beauteous creature before me. I imagine we could spend a great deal of time continuing a private discussion within indoor comforts. Be it to your interests," he bent his head forward as he spoke, nearing to hers as if telling some forbidden secret.

She was, most admirably, seemingly unaware of his intended suggestion which was both charming and suspicious. She seemed to have an old way about her, hanging onto traditional values and conservative mannerisms. If they did retire to any location he wouldn't be surprised if all they did was share their stories and histories. It was tempting either way, but mostly he wanted to take her, to rule her, this diminutive deceptively defenseless damsel. Surely this shell had cracks, this persona of virtuous tranquility.

But such insensibility was unlike him. What was making him so keen to lure her to his chambers. How curious these feelings churning beneath the surface.

Fascinating? Beauteous? Martha smiled, bashfully and timidly. She went to play with her twin tails, but they weren't there, so she adjusted her beret instead. All smiles. Continuing seemingly unaware of any undertow of suggestions in Chase's manner or words, she briefly looked to her peg leg, then back to Chase with wide eyes.

"Indoors, sir? That all sounds appealing! Shall we make our way to the Mansion, sir? See what we can see, even just an initial reccon before conducting a deeper one? Then perhaps discuss matters in more privacy later if time permits? I confess, sir, I too have enjoyed our conversations and would welcome the chance to talk at greater length!" she enthuses, talking with great eagerness as she studies Chase's hands and shoulders and eyes. As if assessing him in some gentle way.

"You needn't call me, sir, my lady. Please, call me Chase," he said soothingly, his hands lingering on hers, rubbing them lightly with thumb and forefinger. "But to the mansion we shall. Perhaps I could ease your journey and hold you astern upon my back if you'll permit me." He wasn't sure what transportation she had used to get there but he had walked himself and so he assumed they'd walk the two miles to the Mansion next. He could manage that, couldn't he?. And there was much to look forward to afterwards with their conversation.

Martha nodded happily enough. She knew her habit of formal address irritated some people. It wasn't an irritation she intended to provoke. As Chase rubbed her hands, Martha smiled in a very bashful manner. His offer of riding on his back was unexpected. For the two miles or so, she imagined...even though she was petite and low in mass, two miles was a big ask of anyone! She giggles bashfully at the thought though. It sounded the most unusual thing and she found it hard to picture. But it did seem to dignity by every measure. "I thank you, Mr Ankers...er...Chase, for the generous offer of the ride upon your back! I shall not decline in full. Rather, I might be too heavy and cumbersome to be a burden for so long a walk! I am content to walk, sir, er, Chase, for a distance! When the time seems right, might I then please accept your invitation?" she watches Chase carefully. Cheerfully, but carefully, trying to watch the things that fascinate his attentions.

It pleased him to see the felicity radiate from her smile, as it did to hear his given name upon her lips. So timid was she and unwilling to burden herself upon him. But he found that charming and with high esteem. It demonstrated pride and independence in her character. They both understood the limitations her handicap presented but he hardly found it any more debilitating than his own shortcomings. It allowed oneself to focus on pursuits of mental faculties and social graces. But all the same, and despite himself, he wished he could demonstrate a physical capability to carry her and take up her burdens. Again, torn between sensibilities and impulses, he yielded once more, "Nonsense, sweet Martha, if I might call you Martha so long as it is just the two of us. You are as light and buoyant as a leaf upon a stream, as a feather upon the breeze, or a petal brushed against the skin," flourishing his hands in gestures to narrate his flowery speech. "But I shall respect your wishes all the same. Please, would you accept an arm to lean upon instead?"

He moves alongside of her linking his arm with hers. His new bomber jacket brings a fresh store-bought scent and his body is lean but thin beneath the fabrics and coming near him she would smell the barest hint of floral cologne resembling the scent of geraniums that clung to his hair.

"Goodness, sir! Such fine words! You may call me Martha when we are away from Court as we are, Chase!" she giggles merrily, "You are generous and kind, sir! Yet, I must ask, sir: do you always take such liberties?" she giggles, her tone good humoured as she accepts the arm offered her. "But at such inconvenience to yourself too, sir! How kind!" she enthuses.

"Thank you, thank you kindly, Chase! I should hate to think I was taking advantage of you in any way, sir! I am sure the walk will do me good! That is to say, sir, I shouldn't wish you to feel obligated in any way to take my mass and cumbersome form, sir! No matter how light and buoyant it may seem!" she offers. Holding gently to Chase, she takes the opportunity to take in the aroma's and scents his proximity offers. Her own lavender and minty scents obvious too. Martha gently rests her hands on his arm. Taking the opportunity to assess how much power there is in them.

"My deepest thanks for your approval, sweet Martha, but you were kind enough to assist me on this endeavor, this recon mission, and providing you ease of transport is hardly worthy compensation. It is my pleasure to do so." In fact he was taking for more pleasure than was his due, feeling the press of her body against his and her tiny weight daintily balanced on his forearm. As a conservative and proper lady she may have found his suggestion compromising and as such it may yet draw her out of her shell, putting on these proper airs. But perhaps she would expose more of her internal processes, the true nature she held back behind the curtain of finery.

In that same calm and steady voice of his, though somewhat more distant as if deep in thought he said, "You know I wasn't sure what to expect when I came back to Sacramento." A pause, as he began walking with her in hand, "I imagined it would be like Boston, people tell you what to do and you do it to the best of your ability. I thought that it might be here too, and in a way it is, there are the rules, the tenants of course. But now..." As he walked the wind blew slightly pushing against the fabrics of his clothes. "You were quite the reception, so kind and accommodating, nurturing in fact. Before my Embrace I didn't know much in the way of human contact like that, ironic that I find it in a state such as this." The light haze of the city up ahead glinted off the sky in a incandescent glow.

Martha was very quiet as she listened and held tight. Not wishing to stumble, and not wishing to be more of a burden.

"You are very welcome, sir." she offered timidly. Unsure of how to respond. She pouts gently. Uncertain. "I am eager to help...nuture...I like that word, sir! Thank you!" she did seem grateful to lean upon him, held fast against Chase.

He pressed on with a smile, turning his head to show her his content expression. "You are quite welcome. I hope I'll continue to have your attentive guidance in the nights ahead. But I still am so curious about you and your interests, Martha. Though I cannot think of a proper way to phrase my questions." He turned his head forward again, navigating his way past the trainyard that sat dismally as black shapes blocking the distant river view.

She returned his smile and nodded happily. No twin tails bobbed, but her glee was obvious. "I see, sir! Well, I shall try to answer when the questions are formulated!" she chuckles in happy glee. She fell quiet though. Quiet until they came closer to the railyard. She leaned closer, whispering softly to Chase, as the monolithic rail wagons and box cars loom about them. "sir...perhaps we should take caution...in case there is something lurking in the shadows...something we may need greater mobility for to react to?" her voice softer as the long shadows were cast and strange noises sounded as the wind plays between the rusting hulks.

He stopped his progression evening his voice to a similar whisper, "As you wish, my dear." He made note of the casted shadows and considered what they might hide. "Did you see or hear something that might suggest an assailant?" He had heard of the potential enemies lurking in the midst of the domain, from Martha in fact. Members of the Brood and Kindred-hunting Elders. Even if he had been prepared though, he wondered if he would stand a chance against any attacker. He wasn't much of a fighter, more of a diplomat if anything. Well he could always bluff his way through an encounter...perhaps.

"Stay close to me, my lady, I'll make certain you are escorted safely through this rough terrain," he says, trying to sound gallant in his confidence. He kept his eyes keen on the shadows of the buildings looking for signs of movement.

Martha, nodding obediently, seemed to be genuine in her caution. Limping closer to Chase once she had her footing. She was careful to study the shadows and examine, while bending as much as she dare, the under carriage of the boogies of the wagons to see if anyone's legs were visible underneath and defeat efforts at concealment.

Limping closer, Martha nodded. She was also very wary of the railroad lines and uneven surface. Wide eyed, she attuned her Auspex senses to keep an attentive ear out for threat as the moved through the railyard.

Chase was at her arm every step of the way, acting as her crutch on the more difficult terrain. They trudged wordlessly, surveying their surroundings in quiet contemplation. It was still reconnaissance as the trainyard was a potential location of his as well. The peeling paint off brick walls, broken glass from knocked out windows, and rusted metal husks of trains and machinery. Still he would want to prioritize the mansion and the trainyard was rather eerie. As they left it behind them the roadways that ran the edge of the downtown came up before them, providing sidewalks and streetlamps for their convenience. Chase allowed himself to refrain from clutching Martha so closely and simply let her lean against his arm to whatever extent she required.

It was a short walk since they were on the edge of the historical district. Soon he imagined the Mansion coming into view, its three story Victorian silhouette dominating the street corner. Knowing the way he would direct her down the side streets until they reached their destination.

Martha was happy to be led along. But was cautious of the uneven terrain and the obstacles of rail lines and even more cautious of the shadows.

The railyard was hinterland now. Derelict. Forgotten. Her mind turned to when the railroad had being the life blood of the country.

Remaining quiet, Martha shared a smile to Chase as he helped her along.

The wind tugged at their clothes. Dust roused as they walked.

Two predators on patrol.

Conversationally Chase breached their silence as they waited for a cross walk light to change, "You know they're considering rebuilding those railyards soon and turning them into a mass transit area. In a few years they may actually start construction, though I'm not certain which buildings they may keep or demolish." It may be the last time anyone could see the historical buildings where the connection from the east to west was established in California. A graveyard of trains frozen in time, awaiting whatever verdict their creator's descendants gave them.

The light changed, not that there was much traffic at this hour of night. They would stride slowly across, one more block and they may well see it.

Martha simply nodded. There wasn't much she could add to that. A shy smile as she listened to the information.

"I wonder...is it right to keep them? A memorial to the promise and legacy of the railroads? Or...is it better to...to improve? To build on that? I daresay the Railroad Baron's would be surprised at my even asking the question!" she chuckled. Did they desire more than greed? Did they desired the Future? her eyes bright as she imagined more.

Chase hmm'd in thought at the curious response and wondered if one of her interests lay in history. The answer was rather simple in Chase's mind, "As Dragons we are always bidden to move forward and advance in our state of being, to transcend and build upon the foundation set forth by our sires. Can we not apply this too to the state of disarray the railyard finds itself in? I would not say forget to forget the events of the past but such things should not be clung to, such things need to be revitalized and evolved to adapt to the present and even pave the way to the future. This urban transit hub will be a good opportunity to make use of fallowed ground, to the betterment of all of the city. Though such concerns are not mine, per se, as it is a mortal project for mortal purposes."

He dwelt on this as they came around the corner in view of the Old Governor's Mansion, standing tall, it's many rooms darkened in their windows. A foreboding countenance if ever a structure possessed one. It sat silent, the street empty save for the occasional passing car on its way to a more active destination, the streetlamps few and far between. There was a light that illuminated a sign in front that read 'Governor's Mansion 1877'.

"So, my sweet Martha, what do you think of it?" he asked, smiling fondly beside her.

Martha smiled and listened attentively. Chase made sense. She found it hard to disagree. Then she cooed in delight as she saw the Mansion. Sharing a wide eyed smile of innocent glee with Chase. "How splendid! What a fine building! Such classical lines and siting! I daresay it is most elegant within!" she hops and skips slightly at Chase's side. Her peg tapping as she does so. "It has all the mansard style and elegance of those haunted mansion one associates with those Scooby Doo animated cartoon shows! How charming!" she giggled with glee as she looked upon the Mansion. Trying to imagine the interior. Sharing a smile of joy at their mission with Chase.

Chase couldn't help but laugh aloud at Martha's childish visage, overexcited and energetic like standing in line for ice cream or a movie premier or whatever kids like these days. "From my research it is, though this is the first time I've laid eyes on it in person. It is far more impressive to see firsthand."

He quirked an eyebrow, "Haunted? Funny you should mention that. Apparently there is a great deal of paranormal activity reported in this architectural marvel. It should prove quite interesting should we find anything, don't you think?" He smiled jovially, squeezing Martha's hand as he did. Charming indeed.

"Haunted?" she gasps. The excited demeanor only heightens. She hops again and claps her hands in obvious joy. Wide eyed. "Oh my! I simply cannot wait to see inside! Miss Donovan will be excited too! Did she agree to join us, sir?" she asks. She allows her hand to be squeezed and this seems to have a calming effect. Though she hobbles about in an eager way, she does so in a small semi-circle. Not straying far from Chase's grip. Her smile just as jovial. She glances over across the street, checking out the quality of vigilance of those walking by.

Chase nearly collapsed in surprise to Martha's jubilation as he realized something about her he hadn't considered, that at her core she might actually be an honest and straightforward youthful girl. As he is spun around in her slow dance of joy he ponders on his actions thus far between himself and Martha, how he had assumed her to be playing with him, performing the role of an innocent young lady while hiding an older soul within. His confusion must have shown, his eyes widening suddenly before returning to his normal masked expression of mild amusement. If he had known that haunted Victorian houses was the way to crack her shell, he would have foregone his concessions made throughout their walk. Either way he wasn't sure if it was what he had been expecting. Was there more to this mystery?

"Well I'm sure she will be," his voice on the edge of laughter, "either way I know that your excitement would more than make up for it, dearest Martha. But yes, she has expressed an interest in attending." Though getting inside was quite another matter, he surmised. When she had calmed and situated herself he suggested sweetly, "Shall we take a seat here upon the steps for a moment? I wish to check something on my laptop." From the sidewalk there were a long set of stone steps up the hill the house sat upon. There was a chance that a cop car could come by and accuse them of loitering but that would result in no issue with the appearance of Martha, an easy excuse to rest one's leg. He would help her to sit first if she accepted and this time would avoid letting his eyes wander about her so freely.

Martha giggled merrily too. "That sounds most excellent, sir!" wide eyed glee. She nods at the invite to sit. She wouldn't admit it, but she did want to sit down! The stone steps offering a perfect place to do so. Martha accepted any help offered to sit and bashfully rubbed hard at where her thigh meets her peg. "Oh...goodness, sir!" she murmured spontaneously as she sat. Stretching her leg out to match her peg. If she notices his eyes roaming about her less, she shows little signs of it at the moment. Seemingly more concerned with offering soothing rubs at her hip and thigh.

After he found her comfortable he sat himself beside her and began rummaging through his carry bag for the slim sleek plastic chassis of his laptop. He seemed more focused as he did so. He was reminded of something while witnessing her parade of sweet abandon, that he envied her innocence, the purity of her childish laughter. He found himself wishing to sully it with ungentlemanly behavior and retreated to his work to wait until those thoughts dissipated.

The display flicked on in a bluish glow that reflected on their eyes and faces. It took but seconds to boot and already Chase was accessing software he had collected, rolling his finger gracefully along the small square mousepad between rapid snapping of fingers across the keyboard.
    4success
    While being able to detect the network present he was unable to access it in any way.

Martha watched his fingers tip tap at the keyboard. Fascinated. She used the time he spent watching the screen to rub hard at her maimed thigh, study as much of the layout and security of the house as was possible from here and smile.

"As you wish, sir!" she enthused. "That all looked most technical!" a happy chuckle. She stole a glance over the street...watching for any CCTV cameras that might be directed at the Mansion. Rubbing hard at her thigh again. "You are most expert it seems!" she wanted to check the rear of the property before leaving. But stayed sat on the stone step a moment.

There was that 'sir' again, Chase noticed, hefting the strap onto the shoulder and staring down at the charming youthful lady beside him. He noticed her hand, as if seeing it for the first time, rubbing hard against her thigh as if relieving an itch of some sort. He put down his bag on the step and moved down to the step below her, turning to face her and placing his hand upon hers. "I've been meaning to ask this, Martha. And please scold me outright if you take offense, but may I ask how you got this?" he asked moving his hand to the base of her pylon leg. She was so anxious now, enthusiastic surely, but the hard way she handled her thigh concerned him.

Martha smiled meekly. Watching as his hand rested on where her leg pylon began. Concealed by her gymslip. Martha watched in silence a few moments. She wondred at his interest. It was bold of him to ask. Most just looked away or stared. Tried a shy smile. "I am gratified that you do not shrink from touching it, sir...most darenot even look. Though yours is an impertinent question, sir, I should like to play a game, sir. Can you guess how I came by it, by which I suspect you mean to investigate: how did I lose my leg? You get two guesses, sir...er Chase!" she giggles gently, her eyes wide. Her hand was stilled by his action. "You need not answer right away. Take your time, sir! Reply over other evenings!" she gave some thought to the attention he had shown to her peg before and studied her peg, his hand upon it, and then Chase again.

He considered this carefully. He was quite close to offending the Herald of the realm but he was just slightly more concerned about what she thought of him personally. They were having such an interesting time together that he did not want to choose his words without some deliberation. Still, he wondered if she were distancing herself from him already.

"I don't find it at all alarming in the least, Madam. It is a unique characteristic about you and I accept it as part of you as any of your limbs," which was true for the most part. He didn't see it as a weakness or as unattractive, that was certain. "But you are correct, I have crossed a line in my inquiries and for that I apologize. I will accept this game as a challenge then. If I succeed then I ask that you forgive my indiscretion."

He was relieved by her use of his name though. It meant she was not hiding any vexation against him. He allowed himself to smile again as she giggled girlishly. He wondered what were the conditions of her leg's removal and if it had come with a unpleasant memory that nagged at her or if she felt the ghostly sensations of its lingering presence. His answer could wait. He would find out and show her his resourcefulness. But there was still the matter of the mansion.

"My lady Martha, was there anything else you care to inspect before we end our reconnaissance?"

Martha was clearly delighted at the reply. Moreso when Chase reassured her neither thought her leg a weakness nor unattractive. Wide eyed, she needlessly adjusted her beret."Oh, I quite forgive your indiscretion, Chase!" a happy giggle is added, she seemed very pleased with the way the conversation had gone tonight and was clearly in no mood to disrupt their jollity. "Where would we be without the questions of the curious? I confess, I am interested in your replies! As to the matter of the reccon, sir, I am content for the moment. I shall be content once we have scouted the rear of the building and..." and she nodded towards the buildings that overwatch the property, "...given some thought to possible observation by accident! But, we may do such a thing another evening, if you'd rather!" another happy smile. She rubbed hard at her thigh again, watching Chase with gentle care.

"My humble thanks for your understanding," he began as he stood up from the step, moving down one so that their heads were level. It hardly seemed difficult to take a moment to observe the building's rear and he figured she was quite eager to take in as much as she could of the house's splendor. "Of course, sweet Martha, it won't take but a moment to scout it out. Shall we then?" He offered his hand to her once more, his gentlemanly persona strengthened with good graces. He had much to think about now and would try to avoid stirring up any more social chemistry that evening.

Once she had taken his hand to standing he would assist her to the lawn that sloped down to the sidewalk. Circling the house itself they would find the carriage house, its wooden doors shut tight, presumably locked, its doorframe surmounted by a large horsehead sculpture. A wide square yard stretched out to the black metal fences encircling the property. Trimmed hedges grew outside of white molding windowsills like a moat of greenery. Flower gardens were placed sparingly beneath several large twisting trees that stood like steadfast sentinels swaying slightly in the night air.

Smiling, Martha accepted the offered help and was eager to study the lay of the land at the rear of the building. Hopping and skipping with a light mood as she did so. Though her eyes are attentive to detail of cameras, obstacles and places to scale the fence and the best path to take to avoid leaving marks or damaging the flower beds.

Taking a moment to enjoy the breeze and sounds of the wind in the branches. Another happy smile. Checking once more for signs of a security patrol, she fussed at her gymslip. "This all seems most splendid, sir!" she smiles. Her tone bright and cheery.

The happy pair strolled peacefully along the grassy lot. Now and then Chase would turn his head at a sound or strangeness in the wind. He was not as perceptive as his companion, not as keen in his senses and so doubled his efforts in trying to be observant. Finally he would pat her hand and agree, "It is indeed. I feel much better now that we've scouted this place out. I'm glad you've accompanied me, my Herald. You have done me a kind service and I hope I may repay the favor as friends?" He suggested, wondering if kindred could truly make friends within their unlives, or if it would always be about political leverage and alliances. Though as his thoughts turned this way he wondered if he could push it further than a simply friendship, but time would tell with that.

They had done what they had came to do and Chase welcomed a chance to lie within his coffin and consider what was then still transpiring. He would save his code encryption and keys until the next night as well as the thirst for blood that his Beast continued to remind him of. Once he had seen Martha off he would return home, he thought. What else was there to do after all?

Closed Thread