Jennifer arrives at the Ridge Motel early one evening. She makes her way to the Priscus' office; knocking upon the door. Her usual timidity has been replaced with the urgency of excitement.

She stands outside awaiting entry wearing a grey cardigan sweater and jeans that were at least two or three years old. They still fit!

Sidor glanced up from the desk, and wondered exactly why it was that even in unlife, he had to end up doing some form of paperwork. It was almost exactly like being at home again, with the exception that no one that he knew of was trying to poison or arrest him.

Well, at the moment, anyway.

The knock was familiar- he had gotten to know the sounds of his family fairly well.

"Come in, Miss Hazelton,"
the Russian Haunt said, congenially.

"Hello, Priscus." Jennifer greets as she enters the office; moving to find a chair. She sits and faces the man; organizing her thoughts for a moment.

"Thank you for seeing me. After the events of our meet; I've been giving some thought to the Family." Jennifer spoke clearly; looking at the larger shadows that could possibly
be hiding the Priscus' eyes. Her manner was direct; her posture straight and leaned towards him slightly.
"I've decided that I could be able to serve the Family better if I were more versed in the abilities that it gives us. I was hoping I might entreat you for thoughts on how I could
learn how to appear more formidable to others."

Jennifer's excitement was almost contagious, Sidor considered, if he was a man who was particularly inclined towards excitement or to be quick to emotion. Still, it was pleasant to see a newcomer being so enthusiastic. He nodded very slightly.

"You wish me to instruct you on the skills that will enable you to use the Fear effectively,"
he stated, more than asked, then leant back. "Show me what you can do, Miss Hazelton."

Jennifer leaned back in her chair; processing the request for a minute. She felt insecure in her ability to to do much at all in the way of intimidation; but thats what all this was about.

The Nosferatu forced herself to concentrate on a situation where she may want to intimidate someone. Someone who wasn't her Priscus; but someone who needed to be put in their place. She thought of the last situation that had frustrated her and latched onto the Kindred who had caused it; imagining a confrontation between the two.

She leaned forward in her chair; meeting Sidor's visage with a level stare. Jennifer focused on making her countenance smooth and emotionless; her eyes flat and hard. The young Nosferatu then made her mouth into a thin line. Her last idea was her first response to anger when unhampered; drawing her lips back to show her teeth in a silent snarl.

5 successes
Date Action Roll Result
2011-10-24 23:43:38 Jennifer Hazelton rolls 6 to Intimidation (10 Again, WillPower) 10, 5, 10, 4, 3, 9, 1, 10, 9 5 successes

When Jen hissed, Sidor's scarred left hand reflexively jerked towards the Makarov concealed on his person. Then he let out a short, harsh laugh.

"And you believe you need me to teach you, Miss Hazelton?"
he said, his voice rich with humour. "After that, perhaps you should be giving lessons." He didn't move. "Or perhaps I should teach you one." His voice was like a scalpel, suddenly, lashing at Jen's psyche. He hadn't even moved.

2 successes resist, 4 successes Intimidate
Date Action Roll Result
2011-10-25 03:12:27 Sidor Grigoriev rolls 11 to This. Is. HORROR. (10 Again) 7, 8, 5, 4, 10, 3, 2, 3, 8, 5, 9, 3 4 successes
2011-10-25 03:07:16 Sidor Grigoriev rolls 9 to Not blink! (10 Again) 5, 4, 2, 1, 4, 2, 2, 10, 8, 5 2 successes

"Yes, sir." She replied earnestly; somewhat startled at her Priscus' movement. His words were even more surprising. It must have been her
ardent desire to impress her Priscus that had fueled her earlier performance.

As Sidor speaks; her train of thought is disturbed as his words provoke terror.

Date Action Roll Result
2011-10-25 03:26:40 Jennifer Hazelton rolls 6 to Oh Shiiiiii- (10 Again) 7, 9, 8, 6, 1, 8 3 successes

Jennifer twitches; her legs clomping down to the floor in preparation to flee.

"You depended too much on violence,"
Sidor explained, his voice congenial again as he sat back. "Obvious aggression is infinitely less effective than a subtle threat. The trick is to allow the other individual to fill in what it is that they fear the most- to make your command or voice a thing of horror to them. Ambiguity favours you more than you would think." He studied her. The young Nosferatu was so eager. And yet lacked so many of the less admirable qualities that often came with eagerness.

"To use one's own mind against them?" Jennifer grasped; taking a cue from her Priscus and sitting back in her chair. She forced her legs to relax as she leaned her head back; thinking back to the haven she had left nearly a month ago. To her Sire and his methods. If intimidation was a scalpel; her mind would have criss crossed with scars from him.

Her face clouded with emotion as she tried to remember the words that he had used. Had it been her own fears; her own insecurities that had caused her suffering?

"Yes," She breathed, the blasphemy of breath from her corpse showing the depth of her emotion.
" -ambiguity. I should have thought of that."

"You can never be as horrifying as that which the victim choses to imagine for themselves,"
Sidor instructed quietly. "Because you do not know their innermost thoughts. But an intelligent wielder of fear does not need to know. The victim will fill in what they fear the most, if you are careful, accurate." He noticed the reflexive breath, and paused for a moment.

"Is something wrong, Miss Hazelton?"

"No, nothing is wrong." Jennifer shakes her head; her eyes dropping to the floor "I was remembering my past experiences with the Fear. My Sire never was one for discussing it."

She pulled her eyes up; looking towards the shadowy visage. She worked to wipe the emotions of dread and fear from her face; forcing herself to focus on Sidor's words.
"You speak of accuracy. I'm sure that its common sense for those of our Blood; but I haven't wielded the Fear very often.

"Accuracy. Choosing your words and your battles well,"
Sidor explained. "You must learn mastery of your own fear in order to know the Fear in others. You must be intimately familiar with it, until it is as natural for you as it once was for you to breathe. You must embrace your curse in its entirity, accepting all that it is and does, and use it, bending it to your will."

Jennifer nodded her head slowly; considering mastering her own fear.
"If the last few minutes were any indication; I have quite a ways to go before I can claim to have mastered my fear."

"Utilizing our curse." She repeated, considering her own ruined voice. She wondered after attempting to find the pitch that would be frightening. She'd never attempted to speak much once it reached a terrible pitch; but she considered it now.
"I'll certainly work on understanding the nature of my curse." Jennifer decided.

"You need not apologise,"
Sidor said quietly. "You have not disgraced yourself. I am extremely adept at controlling the fear of others. But everyone must start somewhere, and you have made the decision. You must examine yourself... find what it is that I was able to access in you that cause your reaction to be so intense." He sat back. "My curse, for example... it is easy for you to imagine what might be behind these shadows. What I might be doing. What I might be thinking. It gives you an advantage in assessing what it is you fear."

"I still feel very inexperienced with the fear;" Jennifer confided. "- I spent my whole Danse in service to the Family; but I never seemed to have time to myself to practice the Gifts. I am hoping to rectify that now; but now that I have a moment for introspection.."

She tilts her head.
"My Sire," she decided. "- used the Fear freely. I am afraid...
She had meant to determine the root of her fear; but found herself lost in memories of the damp; crowded access tunnels; the constant insecurity.

"-of not being what I ought to be; I suppose. When Miss Lawrence challenged my idea at the Family meeting; I felt very defensive. Perhaps because I was worried that I am too inexperienced to matter here. I don't normally squabble like a six year old."

She finishes with a rueful smile; not proud of how easily an angry response had been provoked in her.

"I am sure Miss Lawrence is much better at the Fear than I.." The trace of insecurity glints across her face; but she rallies to push past it.
"-but I have the time to better myself now. I am thinking that I should spend more time among the kine; more time watching humanity for their emotions. If I am better able to read their expressions; I could then address my accuracy."

"Reading people is a necessary art in learning to Master the Fear also," Sidor said quietly, watching Jen. Did she not know that she was worth ten of Brenn, with all the fire of a neonate but none of Brenn's self-control issues, or desperate, pathetic need to feel superior to authority? "As for the accomplishment of the Fear, no. I doubt Miss Lawrence knows the Fear well. She likely has not mastered it beyond a reflexive push that comes from the nature of the Beast. I say this because Miss Lawrence cannot even master herself." He studied Jen from behind his shadows.

"You have been in this Domain only a short time, and you have accomplished more than Miss Lawrence ever has. You have earnt respect, sponsorship into a Covenant, a coterie. Be proud of what you have done. Do not believe yourself less than a fringe member who cannot restrain herself enough not to try and bully a neonate into submission because she fears the truth of that neonate's words."

Jennifer raised her eyes; studying the shadowy countenance with a small bit of surprise; which she attempted to mask after a beat.

"I do admit that I was upset that she didn't vouch for Dr. Powell." She admitted. "Or if she thought someone else more fit; to speak for them."

She leans forward; continuing her thoughts on Brenn.

"But she is our sister. I'd like to see her pull herself up and become accomplished in the city." She tilts her head. "I heard a rumor she's interested in joining the First Estate. You've known her longer than I have,"

And Jen was fairly certain Sidor had taken in interest in Brenn; as he had made himself available to her.
"- do you think she could do well there?"

"No," Sidor said quietly, after a moment. "She is barely able to bear calling another by their surname. Invictus formalities are likely beyond her, particularly considering her unique mode of speech." He paused, shaking his head. "I believe she would have done well in the Carthians. Their politics and passion suit her particularly. But Miss Lawrence is her own worst enemy. You witnessed that at the meeting. She has a temper, and feels the need to play the victim to 'score points'." He sighed, a slight and quiet movement.

"I do not want her thrown from the Clan. Do not misunderstand me. I would love to see her overcome her failings."

"As would I, Priscus," Jennifer nods her head.
"I am trying to get to know Miss Lawrence more. I am sure that beneath the Beast's bluster and defensiveness; she has a wealth of talent yearning to be put to the right task. I plan on trying to get to know her better before the next meeting. I am hoping the next one won't be marred by any squabbling.

I am finding Mr. Castor very helpful. He and I arrived at about the same time; and he's just as excited to help the domain as I."

"I approve of that, fully. I know Dr. Powell is also attempting to get to know her better. Perhaps between the two of you, you can help her slay her demons," Sidor replied calmly. He would not give up on Brenn, either. "Mr. Drake is certainly a helpful and useful Kindred. I am glad you are settling so well into the family."

"We can certainly try."

Jennifer nodded.
"I have found the family to be very supportive." She replied honestly. "It's quite different from how my Sire kept the youngest quiet. I've found it indescribably freeing. I did want to reassure you of my desire to help the Family. I appreciate the time devoted to teaching me; and would like to give back however I can."

She smiles.
"Even if no one cares for learning computers; I can help in other ways."

"I have some idea how to use a computer, Miss Hazelton, though I admit it's rudimentary. But my home country did not exactly hand out laptops in my childhood," Sidor said dryly, imagining Doctor Powell's expression when he'd explained how a Sat Nav worked. It was sometimes hard to believe such an intelligent woman could be thrown by something so utterly simple.

"But if the other Priscii you have met were not supportive of you and your family, then they were failing you, Miss Hazelton."

"No; I've discovered a bit of a computer gap. But that's true from my parents generation to my own; its far more expected among the Kindred." Jennifer agrees. "I've come to the conclusion that my Sire did not need a childe as so much as he needed a bonded ghoul. For my sake; I am glad he committed."

Jennifer paused; remembering the nights of both terror and tedious data entry.
"I must agree; the Whip and Prisci I knew in San Diego were a far cry from Dr. Powell and yourself. I have prospered under the encouragement; even in this short time." There was a simple truth to her tone; she did not linger on her gratitude. She was sure that they knew; and they seemed to expect this teaching was something leadership should do. Far different than the last city of her residence.

"I have set myself a few goals; but my first is to be dedicated to my Family. I am glad that we are growing in numbers."
Jennifer continued meeting his gaze. "I have entreated for entry to the First Estate. My Grand Sire had hoped to bring me into San Diego's First; but I am glad I have made the decision here. Have you found the relations between the First and Second Estate here to be .. pleasant?"

"There are few links between the First and Second Estate here," Sidor replied simply, his head turning slightly. "It was not long ago that the Sanctified were lead by a Kindred who was devolving into a Draugr. Tradition is all that remains." He sat back, steepling his fingers. "But that does not mean that cannot change. There is certainly no reason there should not be ties."

"Few." Jennifer replied; sitting back as she listened to the Priscus' information.
"There should be ties between the First and Second. My Grand Sire described that the First and Second Estates of Toronto were allied; with the Sanctified Primogen offering sound and respected advice to the Prince."

She leans forward slightly; looking where she imagined the Priscus' eyes were in that shadowed countenance.

"May I inquire what happened to Sacramento's Seneschal?"

"The Seneschal departed the Domain some time ago. His Majesty has not yet appointed another," Sidor replied, vaguely remembering Victoria Stanford. Her rudeness and inability to follow her duties had been shameful. It had been ridiculous, the amount of time he had spent, running around the newcomers as a clan Whip.

"Why do you ask?"

"I see." Jennifer stated.
"I was thinking things might move more smoothly if perhaps someone of the First or Second Estate had the temperament to assist the domain in that position."

"Whether or not they did is irrelevent. The Seneschal is appointed by His Majesty, or the Herald. Unless they choose to appoint an appropriate Kindred, the position will remain vacant. Do not get involved with such things," Sidor's voice was severe for a moment. "This Domain is not kind to those who move in ideals above their station. You are a talented young Haunt- you will go far. But you do not yet have the right to approach such a matter."

"His Majesty or the Herald," Jennifer nodded. "I wouldn't think of it, Priscus." She assured.
"I was simply thinking a full court would make for a more stable domain, yet I see my worry is unfounded. His Excellency will see the proper person fills the position."

"Precisely. When the right Kindred comes forth, then His Majesty will appoint them. Of that, I am certain," Sidor replied, studying Jennifer. "Our Domain will remain strong, whatever comes."

"Of course," Jennifer inclined her head in agreement. She watches the shadowed visage with interest, silently.

"Is there anything else I may help you with, Miss Hazelton?" Sidor said, after a moment of allowing Jennifer's scrutiny. It was a natural response, really. No matter how long he spent in the company of others, the inevitable desire to watch the strange play of shadows across his face came to the fore. He had long ago ceased to care, as long as the watching was benign.

"No, Priscus." Jennifer replies.

"Thank you for your time. I appreciate it."

"Not at all. My door is always open to you. As is the offer of continued schooling in the Fear," Sidor added, glancing at his paperwork. How had he ended up with so much?

It seems like 90% of my time is spent writing reports on the other 10.