Not long after the last Elysia at the Avalon

David knocks softly on the Harpy's office door, hoping she isn't too busy. Their brief conversation at court was insufficient, and he had hoped to talk more with her.

Ariana sat in her office wearing a lavender business suit, with an antique crown pin on the lapel. She had been typing away on her laptop when she heard the knock. She rose and swiftly moved to the door and opened it to see David there. "Good evening Heirophant Silver, please come in." She turned and moved back toward her desk but extended her arm to the chairs across from it. "Sit if you would like. How can I help you this evening?"

David gives a polite nod to the Regen, as befitting her station. "Thank you. A good evening to you as well. Regent Donovan" He takes a seat, his posture is relaxed. He notes the pin, and the laptop. Crowns. For her regency most likely.
"I was hoping we could discuss you actually. I am delighted with your inquisitiveness about the Circle, and I wanted to explore your reasoning. I have yet to encounter anyone who has acted similarly, and so I am at a loss, with no precedent to rely upon. What has sparked your interest in our Circle?"
David's tone is inquisitive and friendly, but a touch hesitant.

Sitting down neatly in the chair, Ariana sat poised, yet relaxed as she spoke pleasantly to David. "A while ago we spoke a little of the Circle during a night in Elysia. You piqued my curiosity with your passion for it. It is wonderful to see someone with dedication as such." She stated with sincerity. "I thought it would be wonderful to know what drives such dedication. I am sure others have been interested, or curious as well."

David nods, digesting her words. So she was interested in him, for his passion? "Sadly, few have taken such an interest. Those who show such interest in the Crone are usually either potential converts, or Inquisitors. Needless to say, I was surprised by your desire to learn more. Most would spurn knowledge of the Crone. The knowledge that we are pagans, and that we are associated with Darkness is enough for them. I am surprised by you. Pleasantly surprised." A thought flits through David's mind, rumors of alliances between the Invictus and the Circle. He smiles pleasantly, as the dream flutters away. Perhaps where the cross is absent, but not here.

Ariana smiled gently to David. "Well I am glad you are pleased Heirophant Silver. It seems that your dedication has also influenced Vala Wooding as well. Perhaps old rumors of Darkness can be squelched." She spoke pleasant and conversationally as she continued. "As I mentioned before, I do not wish to know the Crone's secrets of course. I think the Winter Solstice will be a nice way of keeping minds open about the Acolytes. In my opinion, a closed mind breeds spite and scorn." Even though the Lordess was not a pyschology major, she had learned enough through reporting, that people were quick to judge before learning the truth.

David smiles. And perhaps I should remember to kep things as dark free as possible. No darkness at all? I thought we were vampires. "The Vala is improving. Every mistake he makes, every oversight, every difficulty he runs into makes him stronger. That is one of our tenets, and, please don't mention this to him, but I am proud of how he is progressing." There is no disguising the pride in David's voice. "Indeed, the winter solstice and summer solstice are both important times for the Crone, though it depends on which cycle we are in for the winter solstice."

"Of course when we learn from our mistakes, it is part of growth and change." Ariana smiled, knowing she herself was not free from such things. "Of course I would not mention it to Vala Wooding. Yet, if you are proud of him, I hope you have told him so." Ariana's eyes looked to David's as she made the gentle suggestion. "I am unfamiliar with the cycle you speak of. Perhaps you could elaborate, if it is possible?" The Lordess asked kindly.

David nods. "A very valuable part." At her question, he nods again, a pleased smile on his face. "Cycles are how we refer to years. But unlike years, Cycles are themed. The particular cycle we are in at the moment is the Joy Cycle. We proceed through the various types of Joy throughout the year, from summer solstice to summer solstice. Next year will likely be a different cycle, but I have more research to perform before I am certain. Other cycles include Fear, Humility, Honor, Pain, Rage, as well as a few more occult ones."

Like Severing, which may the goddess keep from us for a while.

"The Cycle responds to the needs of the community, as well as the demands of the Crone." David's explanation is patient, and he focuses on reading her reactions to his explanation.

“Very interesting. It reminds me a little of Eastern culture. What is it that predicates the theme?” The Lordes asked her interest evident in her voice. A whole year surrounded by pain or fear was sad, Ariana thought to herself.

“If the Cycle responds to the needs of the community, who is the one that determines the Cycle to its surroundings?” Ariana’s spoke as she turned her head slightly while inquiring.

"The cycle is more universal than eastern or western. The theme itself is a reflection of the great cycles of the world, as well as the smallest cycles of life. We progress through life phases; the world experiences cycles of heat and cold, rain and dry; Nations rise and fall and rise and fall, wealth and loss. All of these cycles, from the great global shifts of power, to the cycles of kindred entering and leaving our city are honored and respected." David smiles. "My apologies, sometimes religious ferver takes hold, and I can get a bit carried away. I am sorry though, but the particulars of the determination of the cycle are for those of the Circle only." His left hand reaches over to rub a black bracelet, it seems to be composed of a few strands of twine, dyed with some black, hard pigment.

“Ah yes, I see. No apology necessary.”
Ariana smiled and spoke in an understanding tone. “Would it also be determined by Astrology?” She asked as they continued to discuss. Her eyes only glanced a moment as he touched the thin bracelet on his wrist.

“I understand that you are not allowed to release that information.” She nodded to David’s mention of not giving away the reason. She gently flexed her fingers up as she continued pleasantly. “However, I was merely curious as I wonder if the current Cycle was because our Domain is either lacking in joy or because it was full of joy presently?” She looked to him for clarification. “You had mentioned that it responded to the needs of the community.”

"Astrological phenomena are important, but are focused more on the darkness between stars than the stars themselves. They usually lend themselves towards greater trends, the Cycle of Cycles if you will." He nods at her understanding, and leans forward to hear her question. Nodding, he sits back, pondering the best response. I can't tell her much, perhaps a more general overview, rather than specifics.
"The community had much to celebrate, and that did drift the determination of cycle away from some of the darker Cycles. It was more an acknowledgement of what had aleady happened, and less of a corrective measure, though we shall see what the goddess has laid out for us. The later third of all the of the cycles is full of trials. We may need that joy." David doesn't sound upset or apprehensive about this, if anything, he sounds eager for the trials.

“So the Cycle has much to do with everything intertwining in some way, shape or form? If I am understanding this correctly.” Ariana asked as she tried to clarify. “This certainly explains your request to wear something bright and joyous.” Smiling as she remembered back to what David said. For a moment in Elysia, I thought he had an issue with purple.
“So the Cycle leads to trials. Are they tests of character or something in general to watch and account for?” Her eyes looking to David again but putting up her hand for a moment. “If I am asking questions that you cannot answer, please feel free to stop me.” She nodded assuring him she would not be offended.

"No, not at all. Your curiosity is quite pleasing." Who knows, you may find the circle to be for you after all. " Indeed, the Woven Circle ascribes to the vision of the interconnections and confluences between all things. Trials are something the Circle takes very seriously, both personal trials tha we give each other, or communal trials that the Crone has given us. And they are gifts, despite the pain and loss. Trials make us more of ourselves, and remove those parts of us that are false. Like a sculptor, the Crone strikes us to remove that which is not true, and like a sculpture, we endure the loss, and become better for it."

"Very interesting." Ariana smiled softly as she listened. It was curious that the requiem religions were so focused on tragedy. "So the trials serve a spiritual and educational purpose as well. Learning about yourself as you endure the pain and loss." The Lordess looked to David while she thought out loud. "Does the Winter Solstice wraps up all these things at the years end?"

David looks confused for a moment, before undestanding strikes him. "Indeed, that is correct, tribulation brings wisdom. Something I am sure the Invictus understands as well. As far as the winter solstice, the winter is the peak for the cycle, when we are most under its influence. Where kine flourish in the summer warmth, we thrive under the winter moon's gaze. So we count years from summer equinox to summer equinox." Didn't I already explain this? "The Winter Solstice marks the midway point, the time when our powers are at their fullest."

“Well this should be a wonderful celebration Hierophant Silver.” Ariana smiled to David. “I am unsure of the Acolyte’s history within the Domain. Do you know if this is the first time that an open celebration will take place?” She asked with interest.

"Assuming that there wasn't a change since the 1960s, when I left, I do believe that is the case. Was the Crone very open where you came from?"
David is enjoying this conversation.

"Well then this will be an lovely achievement for you." The Lordess smiled encouragingly. Thinking for a moment back to her place of origin. "I am from New York. The Acolytes were just a flicker in the scheme of things within the city. They were not very open, and for good reason. There is little room for secrecy in such a large cramped city. Perhaps that is why there were not many. I did hear that the states to the north of New York had a larger population of the Acolytes. There was probably more freedom, so to speak, in spacious areas." Ariana's voice was indifferent to what she conveyed to David. It was factual in her delivery.

"You mentioned you left for a while. The places were you traveled was the Circle prevalent amidst those cities?" She asked curiously while she smiled.

"Thank you, I am more interested in making sure that it is successful than any particular notability within the crone."
Becuase some of them would most assuredly not approve. "I remember New York, I used to live there, some time ago. Quality Curios." David smiles fondly of his younger years, his ignorance, his lack of knowing anything. "But to get to your question, yes, quite a few of the cities I visited had strong Circle presence. I generally stayed away from places where a 'heathen' wouldn't want to be." Like Eugene. Goddess, I hated Eugene. And frankly, you would be quite surprised by how well the Crone can hide, when we need to. I hope we won't have to. "You are correct, at least a while ago, my information on the Northeast is many years out of date. New Hampshire in particular had quite a few circles."

"It does seem like the Acolytes are in larger numbers where it is less populous, if I am not mistaken." Ariana mentioned as they spoke. Her eyebrow quirked and her head titled sightly as David mentioned a particular word. "Heathen Heirophant Silver? Is this a particularly common thing to hear your Covenant called?" She asked, the tone suggested she knew the word was offensive.

"It is common in some parts, and generally one of the middling of insults. Fortunately, the Circle and the Lance have had a discussion recently, and it seems unlikely that we will see trouble in the near future. I have been meaning to ask, how is the First Estate? You are a member correct?"

Heathen is what they shout when they want to run you out of town. Witch is what they cal you when they get the torches and pyre. I hate Eugene.

"Why yes, I am the Speaker of the First Estate. We are doing quite well, thank you. Moving in a good direction." Ariana smiled to David. She crossed her legs and lean forward with interest. "You had a discussion with Bishop Grigoriev recently? It is pleasing to see the Acolytes and Sanctified speak to one another. If you see no trouble in the future, then I gather the talk went well?" The Lordess asked as she wondered what they may have spoke about.

A speaker, assuming it meant what it said, it was an apt description. "I am glad to hear that. That seems a reasonable assessment of how events transpired." A good direction for the Invictus was a good direction for the domain, if the Crone could get behind them. Somehow. "Forgive me, but the hour grows late. I hope to see you soon at the Solstice."

"But of course Heirophant Silver." Ariana smiled and arose from her chair. "It was a pleasure having this discussion this evening. I will certainly see you at the Solstice. I think it will be a wonderful evening." The Lordess said with confidence and hopefulness in her voice.

"It was indeed a pleasure, and I look forward to seeing you at the solstice." David gives her a polite nod, and departs