Presence ••• (Gracious)
    SL •• (Angelic Face)
    Invictus ••
    Alice Brown

Daeva Invictus

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was the first time Sarah had invited Alice over to her place, which was a big moment for her. While she had shared a great deal of her personal thoughts and emotions with her lover, her girlfriend, Sarah always considered herself a bit of a sentimentalist and part of that meant that the objects which held memories were almost a part of her soul. Well at least that's what she told herself as she placed the paper on the field easel in the living room of the trendy loft apartment before making sure the comfortable and good looking black leather couch was in the right position. She looked around the rest of the living room, at the flat screen TV and entertainment center on one wall, the desk with laptop against the opposite wall and the pictures that hung around the room.

Noticing that she was beginning to pace, the Daeva flopped down on the black leather loveseat in a rather unlady like manner. Sitting back she made herself comfortable waiting for Alice to arrive at the trendy and sexy loft.

Alice was quite excited this evening. She would see Sarah's loft and she would actually function as a model again! The few times she had done that before were for her Sire, it was a part of her memories that was good to recall. She looked forward to it to do it again. Because she didn't know what Sarah expected she had a trolley with her, filled with clothes. Not that there was something wrong with what she was wearing now, but maybe there was a theme... or no clothes at all.

With a big smile on her face Alice knocks on the door of the loft.

Sarah was a bit nervous when she heard the knock at her door. Part of her was worried about the impression her place would make on the other Daeva, it was nice and Martha had loved it but well the Shadow could find something good about almost anything, Alice was a different matter completely. Still the petite blond Daeva made her way to the door and opened it with a genuine smile ... and an outfit that was sure to make even Alice's dead heart flutter with excitement. "Why good evening Miss Brown, please come in." She closes the door after Alice. "Welcome to my playground." The Succubi remarked with a teasing tone.

To the right of the entrance is a small kitchen, to the left a very well stocked bathroom with a deep old fashioned tub perfect for soaking and a number of different types of scented oils and bubble bath products. In front of them is the large living room Sarah had been preparing moments before with the entertainment system, the leather couch and loveseat, the field easel and computer desk. To the left of the living room is an open door which reveals a bedroom with a pair of dressers, a pair of bookshelves, a walk in closet and a king sized bed with inviting looking satin sheets and covers.

On the walls are number of sketches and paintings, many of them landscapes or cityscapes, a few of which are easy to recognize as Sacramento. The two most prominent are both done from a perspective looking east into downtown Sacramento with the river in the foreground, the Capitol and Capitol park captured well and the first lines of the rising sun in the background. One is of modern Sacramento, while the other is missing a number of familiar landmarks that have been added in the last forty years and there is enough of a variance in style to suggest that a different artist did each. Another painting is of Old Town San Diego with that city's famous harbor in the background. The other landscapes or cityscapes are of a different city with a style that screams New Orleans, should one be familiar with that city.

Sarah waits breathlessly, well it was easy when you were dead, but still she wondered what Alice thought of her place.

If Alice's smile hadn't been so big already it would have widened even more. 'Oh dear my... Sarah!' Her grip on the trolley loosened and Alice hugged Sarah. 'Is that your artistic outfit? Love it.' And she kissed her fellow Daeva deeply.

Not wanting to stay in the entrance too long, she almost danced inside, giving a short pull to the trolley only to let go again and to make a pirouette in the middle of the loft. After the dance, which gave a short view of the whole room, she dropped herself on the loveseat. Her eyes looked at every sketch, moving slowly. 'Why didn't you show me this before? This is fantastic. Although I hope I'm not going to end up like a building.' With a chuckle she rose again and placed herself in front of Sarah. 'Now girl, tell me what you want me to do! Elegant? Charming? Wedding? Half Naked? Sports commercial... bunny...'

Sarah returned Alice's kiss with a passion, breaking it after a minute with a teasing smile that promised many things to the other Daeva, most of the naughty. "Well I like to be comfortable when I do a portrait and it also helps to put the subject at ease." She walks into the living room and laughs as Alice comments on the pictures along the walls, smiling as she looks at the collection and sketches. "Only a couple of them are mine" the Succubi points to a detailed sketch of the smoky interior of what seemed to be a Jazz bar and one of a French Quarter mansion "the rest were done by admirers or friends." Her voice dipped slightly on the last word.

"Well now ... so many choices ... so many outfits ..." Sarah smiled at Alice and winked "... might be too tough to choice just one outfit."

'Hmm, okay, otherwise we should organize an exposition, of the soon to be famous Sarah LaFleur! Certainly with me as model.' Alice winked at her friend. She opened the trolley, took a sexy dress out and considered it a moment. 'I have all night, and many nights thereafter, so maybe we should just start somewhere? How about....'

Another moment she thought as her voice trailed off. She meanwhile walked to the bed. One hand gently pushed it, as if Alice wanted to check how soft it was. 'Something classic, that means few clothes of course.' She sits on the bed. 'And a few wine grapes as an attribute of the Bacchante. An ode to my bloodline?' With a questioning expression she looks at Sarah. She was the artist so she should be okay with it. But many factors would also fit the playfulness of a Daeva, the sexy nudity of two lovers and a deeper thought of her as mythological half goddess.

Sarah ponders the idea for a moment, the dress was nice and Alice's idea was interesting. "I have a couple of bottles of red wine in the kitchen, might have some grapes in the fridge." She looks at Alice and shrugs. "Need to keep up appearances and sometimes I have people over, I'd hate to be thought a bad host." The petite blond makes her way into the kitchen and grabs a bottle of merlot before opening the fridge and discovering that yes she still had some fresh grapes from her last get together. Taking both of the items back into the living room, Sarah smiles as she watches Alice check out her bed.

"Over here on the leather couch, the bed's for later." She remarks with a hint of teasing and more than a bit of naughtiness in her voice, waiting until Alice is back in the living room to show off the items she had found. "Will these props satisfy you my dear Alice?"

Alice chuckled when Sarah began about the 'yet to come' bed scene. She had imagined herself laying on a bed of grapes, but that would involve imagination rather than modeling. So she nodded and walked to the couch. 'They're perfect. Then I'll quickly change my outfit.' And within a few seconds her clothes fell on the floor to be replaced by something quite different.

'You just place me the way you want me, if possible a little comfortable.' Alice winks. As a vampire she wouldn't need all that much comfort, but being in some awkward yoga position for several hours wouldn't do any good either.

Sarah smiled at Alice's new outfit, clearly enjoying the way it looked on the woman. Okay clearly enjoying the way it showed off Alice's perfect body. Yes that was a much more fitting description on her feelings towards that specific outfit. The petite blond took Alice gently by the hand and guided her over to the black leather couch and helps her into modeling position. Of course her hands "slip" a couple of times, each little "accident" accompanied by a playful wink.

When Alice was in position on the very comfortable couch, Sarah placed the bottle of wine and the grapes near her fellow Daeva before touching Alice's face with her gentle fingers and with great care, as if Alice were a perfect work of art, guided it until it was in the right position. Everything ready, Sarah leaned forward and kissed her girlfriend on the forehead tenderly before moving her mouth to Alice's ear, her voice emerging in a low whisper. "I know how hard this is for you and for giving me one night, I owe you one night. Whatever you desire."

Alice's whole body was relaxed, making it possible for Sarah to work. Except for her mouth, she couldn't relax her laughing muscles since there was a playful smile on her face. As soon she was placed in the perfect composition she doesn't move anymore, making her deadness do it's job. 'Hmmm...' She thought about it, and yes, she thought about a couple of nice things to do.

'Ah well, this is a very good way to stroke my ego anyway. Though people owing me things is always good.' Alice chuckled shortly before she remembered why she's here. She sent Sarah a short nod and then froze.

The first touches of pencil to paper were always the most difficult in any sketch. Once the first lines were done, the rest of the drawing would fall into place around them but until then there was a subject and a blank canvas. It was easy to second guess yourself when seeking to make the first establishing marks and especially when trying to capture such an engaging subject. Still Sarah focuses completely on the task at hand for a good ten minutes, setting the stage for the rest of the work. Still the most difficult part, for the petite Daeva at least, was done and she felt more comfortable and at ease in the situation.

The Succubi works quietly, looking up every few moments to glance at Alice again and when she notices the beautiful model begin to shift, Sarah speaks up softly. "How are you holding up?"

The first minutes went quite well for the Bacchante. She was proud to be here, to be modeling. But her natural boredom came sooner than expected. She tried to sit still, but wanted to move. She was silent but wanted to talk, or better, she needed to talk. Sarah's voice made her happy though. 'Well, we've barely started so I'll just say I'm doing fine.' She chuckled shortly.

'Can you talk while you draw? Or at least listen... there are quite some things I need to tell you.' Alice inclines her head to Sarah one time before returning to her pose.

Sarah continues to work on the sketch, however when Alice replies, the petite blond Daeva nods. "Being the wonderfully talented woman that I am, I can usually do one or the other even when working with the most difficult models." She smiles and waits for Alice to go on, since well the Whip had things she needed to say.

Alice laughs shortly. 'Excellent! A very talented woman indeed... but I'm not that difficult am I?' Her laugh becomes a less-charming snort before she falls into silence again. It actually takes a while before she comes to the point, as if she needed to mentally prepare for it.

When she almost reaches to point where she tells about Martha, she starts to doubt if she shouldn't start about Dillon and their coterie first. It is all so complicated because Martha is a friend of Sarah. But when it finally comes out, it comes out with a sigh of relief. 'Do you know that Martha, your other friend, tried to read my mind, and thus broke our friendship by offending me? Did you also know she tried to find out what she also could have asked me? Do you realize that she also could be doing that to you?' Alice's voice sounds very fragile. She tries to sit still though, hoping that if she pretended like it didn't mean anything, it actually wouldn't mean anything.

Sarah pauses for a second, considering Alice's words. While Martha had confessed to her and explained what had happened, the woman's sadness had not completely wiped away Sarah's concerns. There was a difference between being willing to forgive a friend, even helping make amends to the person they'd wronged, and accepting the action. She'd made her decision based on Martha's seemingly sincere regret, not because she thought that what Martha had done was okay in any way. The notion that even one of the best examples of their kind would invade the mind of a friend was not a ringing endorsement of the Kindred condition, something that was made all the worse by the fact that if the case ever became known, nothing would be done. Martha was the Keeper and Herald, maybe Alice's Covenant and relationship with the Prince would buy her a fair hearing, but if it had happened to another Kindred, well no one would care. The whole sick society would probably just gave a good laugh.

The petite Daeva begins to sketch again, drawing a few lines to calm herself before speaking again. "She confessed to me, in fact she was so distraught over what happened that she cried and not even a good pair of heels could salvage her mood." Sarah's pencil touches the paper again and for a moment is the only sound in the apartment. "She wishes to make amends and I believe that you should speak with her. The decision to forgive her is up to you but I believe that you should hear her out and make your decision based on if you feel she is honestly seeking your forgiveness." It takes her a second to steady herself. "What she did to you was disgusting and I know that you're hurt and wish to hate Martha. It is an acceptable reaction and frankly if I had not seen the pain in her eyes when she explained what she had done I would probably wish that she were a pile of ash."

Her voice is softer now and betrays a certain thoughtfulness. "Our existence rips apart our souls, shredding them until there is nothing left. Some of our kind willingly give into their darker natures, shedding everything that made them who they were and calling themselves "predators", basking in it, wallowing in it like a pig in filth." She looks at Alice. "We're not predators, we're parasites. Our religion is based around the bastardization of human beliefs, our politics stolen from the Kine in almost the same manner as we take their life's blood. The only form of creation we're capable of is a mockery that ends a life." Dead lungs force a sigh.

"The only thing we have is that soul and we need to hold on to it. Alice, your decision to speak with Martha, to hear her out, to be willing to forgive her, is about you. It is a referendum on if you wish to hang on to the things that make you truly beautiful or slide down further into the pit that seeks to consume those qualities."

After the first part of the answer Alice remains silent. She was interested in what else Sarah had to say, and she wasn't really in the mood to say anything yet. Nevertheless, she could still be surprised, or more so amazed by her cousin's answer. Alice always called herself a predator, and still saw herself that way.

That is, a social predator as only a Daeva can be.

'She told you but... you didn't tell me....' Not what she wants to say, but the first that comes out as soon as she opens her mouth. Was it strange to be offended by that? Alice shrugs. 'Though I'm glad you thought about it so well. And you know, you're right. The only problem is that I felt that Martha needed to be punished, while no one could punish her except for me. Staying angry is really the only way... but I can't do that. Even if I wanted to I just couldn't.' She still doesn't look at Sarah but stays the way she was modeled 'I want to keep my soul... I really do. That is despite the fact I'm actually losing it.. Those last words were heavier than those before, and Alice meets Sarah's beautiful eyes. 'I will speak to her soon, but I first wanted to know how you thought about it.'

After a sigh she continues on an easier topic: 'By the way, I can't really agree with your theory.' Between the sadness a chuckle is heard. 'I don't believe we are parasites in the human society. Yes, facets of our society are based on the mortal society but that's only because we once were human. Now we've grown in something eternally beautiful. Something so beautiful that it doesn't need creation. We can't die, so why create something new?' In a proud manner she slightly raises her head. Alice had never felt cursed.

"I only learned the other night and this is the first time we've spoken since then." Sarah frowns, leaving certain things unsaid. "I am glad that you will speak to her."

She takes a minute to consider the second part of Alice's statement, the musing on the loss of a soul and disagreement of their shared condition. "Alice, we take their blood and sometimes even their very lives. We use their religions to justify our existence, use their terms to form our society and play with them like puppets for our amusement." She looks down at the page, almost resigned to the fact that Alice wouldn't understand. "Why do we exist?" Her voice gets lower. "I asked Christian, my Sire, that question once. He couldn't give me an answer that didn't sound like an excuse." The petite blond woman looks away at the window. "We kill to create and are banished from the Sun, we cannot walk into a room with another of our kind without our darker nature screaming in protest."

Sarah finally looks Alice in the eyes again. "I believe that I love you, Alice Brown, not your titles, not your beast, not your blood, but you." And some night Alice Brown might be gone, replaced by a monster that simply has her appearance.

After a nod and a smile Alice is actually confused when she realizes the "Martha" topic was over so soon. Not strange, their existence was slightly more interesting of course. 'What you do wrong here is to look at our existence from a mortal point of view. Which makes no sense since were something completely different now.' Her voice is matter-of-factly. Her theory was simple. 'We use their terms for our society, why shouldn't we? We can't walk in the sun... who cares? We don't need the sun to live, see that as a gift. Plants, animals, humans and even water needs sunlight. It might be inconvenient that it burns us, but all I have to do for solace is look at Priscus Twist. An example of elegance and beauty, centuries old without the need of sunlight.'

She pauses to accept the compliment with an air kiss. 'I love you too Sarah, and that is the reason of our existence. Be happy, love and be loved.' She smiles playfully, trying to cheer up the one that had her real love. 'My own argument against that is, when the other doesn't exist you have no reason to exist as well. Okay, great. Existence has no meaning. Why do humans exist? Why does the earth exist? Why does existence exist? If it all disappears there would be no one to miss it. Realizing that, you see that existence doesn't really mean anything. When nothing means a thing, you can do whatever you want.'

'Welcome to my Requiem my dear.'

A minute passes. Then another. Then a third. Sarah had tried to make Alice see that there were more important things involved in the woman's decision to hate or be willing to forgive, things that would impact on her own hold on her humanity. A fourth minute passes. The discussion had sprawled, the question of the petite Herald left in the dust as Sarah now considered Alice's viewpoint, a philosophy of existence that was almost completely opposite her own. "It's not a mortal point of view, it's something that keeps us connected with our better nature, something that keeps us from losing ourselves and giving in completely to the beast inside of us." She frowns. "You wish to save your soul and I believe that you fail to realize that there might be a price needed to be paid for such a thing." She looks at Alice again. "Think of the most vile, most beastial Kindred you can and remember one think: at some point they were like you."

She pauses for effect, allowing her words to properly sink in. "They made their decisions and they fell, they gave themselves over to their Beast for their own reasons and they were lost. Alice when difference between us and them is a few seemingly small decisions over the decades, how can everything be meaningless?"

When Sarah doesn't say anything Alice returns to her pose. But as soon as her cousin has spoken she replies directly, 'I see what you mean Sarah, yet I feel different about it. There is no good or bad nature, there is only what you want there to be. Not everything is meaningless, because you give meaning to it. You decide what's good and bad. Because at first you are the only one you exist for. If you choose to share your existence with someone else, than that is your choice.' All seriousness fades for a seconds when she chuckles with a sincere smile. 'Which I greatly appreciate of course.'

'But where you choose that, others have chosen to "lose" themselves to their Beasts. Those seemingly small decisions are just as well big as they are really small, because everyone gives their own meaning to it, for themselves only.' A moment Alice pauses, coming to new insights herself while she was talking. 'The only way to lose yourself is when you have faith in something bigger which only exists in your mind. You lose yourself when you fail to give meaning to those things you should give meaning to. Creating a God or a greater purpose only makes room for excuses for your own failure.'

Sarah frowns again, her blue eyes examining Alice with a thousand different questions. "Alice let me ask you a question, if you were to kidnap a child, torture them for a few nights and then murder them in cold blood would you be losing a part of yourself that helps you hold out against the Beast?"

'Well partially, but with a slightly different wording.' The simple smile stays on Alice's face. 'First I wouldn't say I'm losing myself to my Beast. I choose to become more like a beast, that is because I have given meaning to the child, because the one I love,' she inclines her head towards Sarah, meaning she was that 'one', 'has given meaning to the child. Because I have chosen it to be wrong, I would feel terrible if I did it, which gives me a chance to stay closer to sanity. That is another reason than what you say, that we're adapting human values. A human would give... for example, Anton Flores a trial. I would kidnap him, torture him for a few nights and then murder him in the warm sun. His existence doesn't mean anything to me. Yes I admit I would then choose to feed my Beast a little, but the person I am doesn't change thereafter.'

"Choosing the Beast is giving up part of yourself no matter how you try and justify it. You commit an act and some part of you is gone, a piece of your soul lost forever." Sarah frowns. "Stagnation. We might be 'forever beautiful' but we can never replace those parts of ourselves when they're gone." She goes back to the sketch for a few minutes, memories of her youth coming back to her and the frustrations of decades spent pondering the same questions beginning to catch up.

"
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate." She looks at Alice again. "Martin Luther King junior said that. It's something that has stuck with me from when I was alive." Sarah touches the pencil to paper again. "If you were to kidnap Flores, torture him and then kill him, he would never truly die, he would exist in your actions, in your hatred, until one night the only difference between the two of you would be the shell that contained the monster inside."

Alice runs a hand through her hair, something now comparable with sighing, a thing she wouldn't do anymore. She doesn't reply, maybe they just couldn't share an opinion on this topic. I mean, it doesn't have to be a descending spiral. Even Kindred can do good. Anton Flores never dying was a fair point, but that was all.

After a long moment Alice suddenly stretches one leg and looks at Sarah. Her tone was cheerful again, although not 100% sincere. 'And? How's it going?'

Sarah returns Alice's smile, understanding that Alice just couldn't understand her and feeling completely and utterly alone and isolated. Her smile is fake and when she replies her tone is not sincere. "Fine." She realized that the isolation might be self imposed and also that the differences between them meant that neither was right or wrong. She just could not give in to Alice's way of dealing with the Requiem the same she could not accept her Sire's will so many years ago. She remains quiet, focusing her attention on the drawing, as if the Sketch were a talisman that would make everything okay. As if the creation of something, even a simple picture, could make it all worthwhile, could stand alone as the proof that she wasn't a monster, wasn't like those who she despised.

That there was a reason for her to exist.
    "If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?''

Alice Brown, Blood Potency ••••, Presence ••• (Charming Elegance), SL 2: Angelic Face, Slight French Accent

Played by Dark Passenger

Presence ••• (Gracious)
    SL •• (Angelic Face)
    Invictus ••
    Alice Brown

Daeva Invictus

+1
    SL
    PRE

The silence was almost getting awkward for Alice, she wasn't used to this and there was some tension between her and Sarah. Just because of the whole existence thing. That's why I always avoid in depth conversations when there are so many other things you can talk about. Well, maybe now there isn't much to talk about... She returned to her pose completely because she still wanted to give Sarah a chance to make a nice drawing.

After a while, the first words came out as a whisper. 'I'll just close my eyes if that's okay? Now don't draw me winking.' There was a more sincere happiness audible. A smile on her face even gives her a Mona Lisa look. Alice would keep this first drawing by her lover forever.

Sarah simply nodded at Alice and continued to sketch, not worried about drawing the eyes since they were the first thing she'd put to paper. She'd focused on them, made sure that they were perfect, and finished them before the pair of awkward topics had derailed the evening. The petite blond stays quiet for around ten minutes, content to work on translating the beauty to canvas and capturing the moment, that beautiful moment before the awkwardness and frustration. Each line calms her slightly until she is able to speak again. "No, your eyes will be open, seducing anyone looking at this piece of art."

As an answer, Alice first only smiles. When another minute passes she speaks, 'Wonderful, I can't wait to see it.' She opens her eyes again to send a wink to Sarah. Then she, or better said the Bacchante in her, focuses on the wine label. All Alice needs is a little distraction and she'll be fine.

'This is quite relaxing actually. You should make a whole series of sketches.' The Daeva chuckles, seeing more in a life like this than taking all risks a job as Deputy could bring her.

"I have" the petite Daeva nods to a collection of sketchbooks on the desk along the far wall "it is a very relaxing hobby." She smiles, a smaller but mostly genuine gesture that leads to her eyes locking with Alice's. "I've always enjoyed art, I might not be great at it but it never stopped me from trying. I've gotten much better but I guess that is expected with years of practice."

She spends the next few minutes in deep concentration on the sketch. "I want to make it perfect, so you'll have something to remember me by."

Alice gives the collection a short look, it was impressive, at least, she couldn't know how long it had taken to draw all that... how old exactly would Sarah actually be? Some more questions jump into her head and want to be asked, but the Daeva waits. Right now wasn't really the good occasion, maybe later the evening.

'A good idea, might you ever again be gone for a month or two, I cannot forget you. Because a good drawing of myself will certainly get a good place in my living room. Although... do you have any sketches of yourself?'

Sarah stay quiet for a few more minutes, her mind on the sketch she was doing, each movement of the pencil attempting to make the thoughts and pain in her head go away. She felt it needed to be perfect, completely perfect, a last memory for a one of the best friends she has ever had and something which she had created, a moment captured in time. A piece of both herself and Alice that will always connect them, always stand as a monument of their short time together. Some part of themselves that will never grow callous as the years go on, never feel its soul slip slowly away as the memories of the sun on their skin fade away and are submersed by the flood of dark nights and the feeling of warm blood running down their throats. It needed to be perfect to stand the tests of time, to be a symbol of something good.

It is about twenty minutes later when she is finally able to speak. Her voice is full of sadness as she attempts twice to find it before something comes out. "Not a month or two. For good this time, the arrangements have already been made." She forces herself to face Alice. "I hate this place. Every street, every building seems to invoke some bad memory of a past I have no desire to experience again. I realized that I no longer care where my Sire is, my blood will change or it won't but that is something that I need to come to terms with." She looks down for a moment. "I need to find a place where my existence is not dominated by my past and that is not here."

Alice slightly raises an eyebrow when Sarah remains quiet again. There had been silences before, but now the question had been quite direct and clear. Except for her facial expression her pose was still perfect. She studies Sarah just like Sarah had studied her. Always when they talk, some emotionally heavy subjects cross their minds, what would it be this time? Only two minutes after Alice closed her eyes the bomb falls down. Her best friend's voice hit her like a wooden club. Her Beast reacts with anger, which is visible at the moment she opens her eyes. 'What?!' Then the anger fades, sadness takes it place. 'Really what?' Her voice breaks.

Tears come, they well up in Alice's eyes. 'I thought you could live on, in the present. With me and all those Kindred now here. Fuck your past.' She turns away as the tears fall down. She crosses her arms, knowing this was hard enough already for Sarah. Yet she couldn't help but to feel offended. Was her hate for the collection of bricks called Sacramento stronger than the love for her friends.

'I can't even come with you Sarah. Here I'm... bonded.' Her cousin would know what she meant. Though that was only the biggest among other reasons. Alice doesn't want to start again. She had left the London, she had left Paris and then Rouen. After two years in America she ended up in Sacramento. She wouldn't leave again so soon. Not after all she had accomplished.

With a mix of emotions now controlling her body the Daeva rises from her position. She turns her back to Sarah, not daring to face her. 'You are like a sister to me...' Could she handle losing another sister? 'Where will you go?'

Sarah had been expecting a ... reaction ... but when Alice mentions being "bonded" there is a look of complete and utter sadness on her face that she does not even attempt to hide. Any thoughts of staying, any chance for a last minute reprieve vanish with that one single word as it becomes the final nail in the coffin of her desire to exist in the same area code as her own kind. "Somewhere without Covenants, without Domains, without Brood. Without Vampires, Kindred or whatever we're calling ourselves." She pauses for a second, a single moment of utter and complete silence. "I never want to hear those words again. I hate to leave you Alice but this is not my place, I don't belong here." Dead lungs force a sigh. "I've tried to fit in, for decades in other cities and then finally here. I made an effort, I sought to find a place but I only found that I am unable to make the compromises required. I'm not like you or Martha or the rest of this city, I need to find my way somewhere else. If such a place even exists."

A single humorless laugh escapes Alice's mouth when Sarah makes her wishes known. A place like that can hardly exist, maybe some small town with 100 inhabitant tops. But a vampire, a Kindred, a bloodsucker couldn't live in such a place without starving. 'Good luck.' Her voice is sad but at least sincere. 'And don't compare me with Martha.' With a sigh she again takes place on the sofa. Alice really wasn't in the mood to sit in a pose again, but if this was their last time they'd see each other in a long long time, or ever, then she wanted something to remember Sarah.

And the last thing she wants is ending their relationship in a fight.

It was the laugh that did it. Sarah understood that what she wanted might be impossible to find but to her the attempt, even if it led to her final death, would be her being true to herself and thus a worthy endeavor. Hopeless as it might seem, the solitude and freedom might mean a way for her finally find the peace she had searched so long for. If not, then she was ready to accept the sun and move on in the hope that her soul was not to stained by this pathetic existence to be worthless. She couldn't voice that to Alice, the other Daeva would not understand and had shown that she was unwilling to even care what Sarah was feeling. A mention of utter loneliness and frustration she existed in had been met with a fake laugh and a reminder of a silly feud.

Sarah had freely given her affection and friendship to Alice, been there to comfort her about the death of her sister, even loved her without the need for the bonds or Oaths of their kind and in the end it all didn't matter. If the Kindred she cared about more than any other wouldn't understand, then how could she ever expect others to understand. Silently she finishes the picture but makes no mark of ownership on the sketch, a fitting end to the work that to her made all the difference. Sarah had loved the person as she was, never the titles, never for just the sex, never for anything so petty.

Maybe the sun would be best, she wondered as she stood up and walked around the room, collecting a pair of paintings and putting them into a safe canvas travel bag. It was when that was finished that she finally spoke.

"Keep the picture and whatever else you wish from the house, including the clothing and books in the bedroom." A sad smile appears on her face. "Whatever is left over will be picked up in the morning by the Salvation Army, might be a bit richer than what they usually are offered but at least all these things will serve a use for someone."

She reaches for a suitcase in the bedroom and with the pair of pictures in the canvas bag and now the suitcase in her hands begins to move to the door with one final look over her shoulder. "Goodbye Alice." Long forgotten emotions tug at her insides and she is barely able to avoid tears. "I just wanted you to know that it was always you that I cared for and loved. Not just your looks, not your connections, not your titles and not even just the sex." It takes all of her will to make it to the door without looking back again.

When Sarah replies with her final words Alice realizes her best friend was really going away. And she doesn't want all the stuff left here, she wants Sarah. The words about the Salvation Army don't really get through to her, she just stares at her fellow Daeva. 'Goodbye.' The words are softly spoken, as if she doesn't dare to say them out loud.

'I know, I know... I love you too...' Thanks to her blush another tear could fall down. It dropped on the floor she had seen for the first time this night, and apparently for the last time as well. When Sarah moves away Alice automatically does a step closer, her instinct tells her to stop the one she loves from leaving. But that wouldn't be love, to not respect what the other wants. Or what she thinks she must do.

So Alice stays, sad, again. With more tears welling up in her eyes she walks to the drawing. With that last memory in her hand she drops to her knees. Sarah was gone already. Sarah wouldn't hear Alice, yet she spoke the final words to close another chapter of her Requiem.

'Goodbye Sarah.'
    "If you're not having fun, what's the point of living forever?''

Alice Brown, Blood Potency ••••, Presence ••• (Charming Elegance), SL 2: Angelic Face, Slight French Accent

Played by Dark Passenger

Closed Thread