Max was busy tidying up the Chapter House's library. It was a habit for the Mekhet; he couldn't stand a disorganized library if he wasn't actively researching. And with the murder of the House's keeper, the place could probably use a good dusting. He had kept the door to the room the former Dragon's ashes were in locked; partly to keep the scene of an ongoing investigation preserved, partly because he wasn't sure what to do with the remains. It didn't seem right co clean the man up like spilled pancake mix...*

Martha arrived and ready to see what state the place was in. She had study and toil on her mind. Hat...blazer and neat gymslip...a shorter gymslip than usual. This one exposed her single athletic knee, her well toned calf and kneesock. A satchel over one shoulder. Red ribbons in her hair. She hobbled from where she had left her bicycle.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...legmartha1.jpg

The journey had been hard, but she was here. Her approach was careful. Anxious to avoid ambush. She had crept into the Chapter House and begun to assess the damage. Making a mental note to recharge the Halon gas canisters.

Checking room by room with care and attention to carry out her survey, noting several doors remained locked, she limped closer and quietly as she could to the library.

The Chapter House had been picked up fairly well by the Reeve; the only damage the small Dragon can see is the scorched patch of carpet outside one particular door. Max smiles as he hears the echos of a footstep, followed by something not quite a foot fall. Wondering why she was being so cautious, Max calls out from the open Library door. If that's you, Ms Villiers, I'm back here in the library. And if it's not, please pay no attention to me, I'm just a recording... BEEP.

Ms? She hated that...cautiously, wary of ambush and the possibility that he might be an Obfuscated enemy, she opened the door to the Library with care. Entering only after leaving the door open a moment...to see if a hail of arrows or gun fire or whatever else might follow. Like a bashful schoolgirl, she hobbles in. Tries a curtsy to the Reeve as best she can. "Good evening, sir." she offers, humbly, "I do hope you are well...I...I offer my services to you to help restore order to the Chapter House." she studies Max carefully for reaction and health.

Max raises an eyebrow at Martha's caution, but says nothing as she enters the library. Max is as dressed down as the Keeper had seen him, a pair of sneakers, blue jeans, and black t-shirt on. Good evening, madam. Max returns the greeting with a slight smile. Please forgive me for not addressing you properly; but I did not want to user proper titles until I was sure who it was.

Well, there isn't much left; the Chapter House was thankfully spared too much damage by our unwelcome guest... Max looks around the Library. Perhaps a little dusting and that would be all...

I hope you didn't have any difficulty on the way over tonight?

She surveys the room, nodding in agreement, "Ah...I shall be put to work then, sir! I can use a broom and duster!" she says with happy confidence, "My journey was longer than normal, but...thankfully...without incident!" a happy smile.

Max stops the cleaning, looking off into the distance for a moment. I'm... not sure there is one... He says with a slightly confused look on his face. He had never had to actually clean the chapter house before. I would say check the kitchen, but I'm not sure there's one of those either... It's not like vampires needed a refrigerator. Or a stove.

Max begins looking around for a closet that might have one while talking to Martha. Speaking of traveling, any luck with getting your license? I remember you thinking about it when you first arrived...

She frowns at the lack of duster...deciding she will correct that in good time...and hobbles closer to inspect the situation. "License? Goodness, no!" she shudders theatrically. "No, sir. My bicycle does me well enough for the moment, thank you, sir! Though I have thought about a motor scooter!" a happy smile. She rubs at her hip and thigh a moment. "Is...is it hard to learn, sir? To drive these modern vehicles, I mean?"

Hmm, not that fastest mode of transportation though. Or escape... Max muses softly. Well... They do require a bit more attention than the hold horse and buggies, but I've found a car is much less temperamental than a horse. More comfortable as well, no jumping or jouncing on rough roads.

And now that they've perfected the automatic gear box, you don't have to worry about fussing with the clutch...
Max wasn't sure if that was a concern for the Herald, but he did still worry about her comfort; whether she wanted him to or not.

Max continues to search the library, giving Martha time to think over his words. How have your studies been going, Herald?

Martha remained to be convinced about the benefits of an automobile. She smiled though as they were explained. "If I trust anyone, sir, to drive an automobile, I trust you! I should wish to try once more at investigating the benefits of the automobile! As to my studies, sir...they absorb an awful lot of time! The mundane and the mystical...so much to do! So much to learn!" she gasps, raises her hands in theatrical exasperation. All wide eyed good humour. "How do your advance? Perhaps...perhaps we might join forces in our studies, sir!" she smiles, rubs meekly at her thigh.

Max grows silent for a moment, thinking back to the last time he drove a car with any sense of urgency. The taxi... That poor bum... The Reeve shakes his head, trying to get the mental image out of his head. Well, I don't think I can teach you the way my father taught me; there's a lack of cow pastures in Sacramento. But the parking lot of the mall after closing hours should be a safe enough place if you even wanted to try a few laps...

A quick smile from Max as he looks over to Martha, one that quickly fades as she talks of her studies. He nods in sympathy. My own studies have suffered as well, I'm afraid. I've been so busy with my duties as Reeve that I have little time for higher learning. I've had to content myself with historical studies and the various mysteries that have popped up over the months within the city.

There were other distractions the past few nights, but Max didn't think he should share those with the small Mekhet.

An admirable idea; I believe you said something about trying to identify Nests within the city?

As she nodded in agreement at almost everything Max said her twin tails bobbed. She played with one of them and held her cane close to her chest, listening...seeming delighted at the idea of a few laps on the shopping mall car park. "Oh, indeed, sir! Nests! There must be some...it's clear enough that, with the Architects of the Monolith at work here, there must be some Nests laid out...some ante-dating them or post-dating them!"

Max looks a little confused by the use of "ante-dating", but quickly translates it to "predating", thinking over the other Dragon's words. Well, it's not the existence of such places I'm worried about. I'm more concerned whether they are already occupied. Sacramento has been here for over a century, and we aren't the only one's interested in such places.

Though, I don't see the harm in doing a little scouting for them. Who knows, we might get lucky and find one that's been untapped., or abandoned. The Lost Nights decimated our population in the city; we might not have been the only group to suffer such a catastrophe...
Max goes silent for a few moments, thinking back to the ghosts that had attacked him and others the first night he came to Sacramento. If there were no more spirits floating around the city, he would be extremely grateful.

I've been thinking about the Architects, and what the repercussions would be if there ever was a sizeable number of them residing in Sacramento in the past. I hold out a slim hope that they might have been here long enough to actually do something in the city. Perhaps leaving behind something the Ordo could use to our advantage...

Martha watched and listened. Nodding in agreement, all wide eyed and eager with schoolgirlish glee. "Yes, sir! How should we begin such an investigation? I have many maps...I have conducted a survey of the city and it's region...investigated many sites...but, I have been unable to be fully comprehensive yet. What should we do next, sir?"

Max raises a curious eyebrow as Martha, smiling a little at her enthusiasm. Have you? Most impressive. Well, our next step depends if you think you've found any promising sites. If so, I would say we should focus on those. If not, further investigation would be necessary before setting our sights on any one place...

"Perhaps we can start afresh, sir! My skills have sharpened, I believe, since I arrived in the city...I can perform more! I may have overlooked things. Seen things with duller sight than needed. I may be hampered in some ways, sir..." she taps her cane to her peg leg, "but I am willing, sir!" a bright, if slightly shy, smile.

Hmm, start with a fresh set of eyes as it were? Probably the best approach; there's no telling if the lay lines have moved since you've first arrived in the city. I wouldn't mind checking to see if the Architects have been busy in the city. If so it might give us a ready-made starting point for our investigations. Max had been turning over the news of the Architects and what it meant for the Dragons if they could turn that past presence to their advantage. If the Invictus didn't lay claim to their former member's achievements first...

He looks down as Martha taps her false leg, Max wondering if he should bring up the subject with Martha. You know, I've never considered you hampered by your injury, Herald. Pained, perhaps, but never hampered. You certainly haven't allowed it to slow you down... The Reeve gets ready to say something else, but decides against it; afraid he might have said too much as it was. Instead, he gives his fellow Dragon a soft smile, moving over to one of the shelves in the library.

There has to be a map of Sacramento here somewhere...

She smiled warmly, trying to look all bold as she watches him investigate her leg. She smiled, shy again, wondering if her new uniform was too short. Wondering what he might know about her pain. Seeing Max change the subject made her hesitate, but his query about the map got her attention. A gesture with her cane to where she knew them to be. "I have worked on some over there, sir! There might be more, but these...I have worked with these..." she enthuses, all eager tone. She skips, twin tails bobbing, and limps over to the map draws and begins to get a few map sheets out for Max to inspect. All eagerness and joy. Resting her cane on the table with the maps.

Max follows behind Martha, letting her lay everything out since she knew it's location better than he. Once she has them laid out, Max scan over them without really knowing what he was looking for yet. Perhaps we should start our search in areas close to the Chapter House. Proximity would make it much easier to look after and defend... Max glances from one map to another, looking for sights that might have once existed but no longer did. A trip to the historical society will probably be in order; I'm sure someone down there will be able to tell us of any significant events that have happened close by...

The Reeve looks up from the maps, looking over to Martha. Have you had any experiences investigating Nests, Herald?

Martha nods and smiles. "I have conducted a search of those records already, sir...but as we agree...a second look shall do no harm! I..." she goes bashful once more, all schoolgirl with a headmaster bashful, "I regret, sir, I have not investigated a Nest before...not knowingly at least."

The two Dragons go over the map, marking areas of interest for when their investigation begins. Satisfied with the progress for one night, Max helps Martha put the maps back in their proper place on the shelf. Once everything is back in it's place, Max takes a look around the Chapter House and lets out a long sigh. It certainly is quieter here. I'll have to admit, I sometimes wonder about the future of the Dragons...

Max looks over at Martha, wondering how his fellow Mekhet felt about the dwindling number of Dragons in the city.

Martha smiles throughout the research and study. Her attire is well suited to her enjoyment at the task. A careful and dedicated student. Watching Max as he talks she offers a shy smile. "The future is what we shall make of it, sir! It is quiet now, but...the silence just now was one of study, not neglect!" a happy, positive smile.

Max laughs softly, shaking his head. That's not quite the silence I was talking about. I simply meant I wonder if we're headed in the right direction in Sacramento. It seems we've lost our sense of purpose as a Chapter. Our numbers dwindle, our influence has waned to the point we're almost as irrelevant as the Carthians...

Max turns around, leaning his rear end against the edge of the large table while looking at Martha. Were you ever able to meet Shadow before she left the city?

Martha stands there, hands behind her back now. Twin tails bob as she shakes her head. "I don't recall meeting anyone of that name, sir." she replies simply. Wide eyed. Watching Max with care.

She was the head of the Ordo when I first arrived in the city.
Max explains. She left some time ago to deal with personal matters. Ever since then, the power of the Dragons in Sacramento has steadily waned. I've sometimes wondered if she didn't hold some mystical sway over the city...

Max grows silent for a few moments, running back through all that had happened to the Dragons since he first arrived in the city. Either way, I would like to speak with Mr Hartman, together, very soon. While I may lament our reduced numbers in the city, it may yet prove an advantage...

"Yes, sir." she added simply, nodding thanks for his explanation of Shadow. There was enthusiasm in her to meet Joseph. But she wondered at the nature of the influence the Covenant might need...or want...and why. Keeping her thoughts to herself for the moment, she tried a smile and let the Reeve lead the conversation to matters that interested him.

Max studies the Herald for a moment, it seemed she didn't have a taste for politics. Truth be told neither did he; but sometimes you have to do distasteful things to survive...

Either way, he tries to turn the conversation to more pleasant subjects, looking down to dust off his jeans from leaning over the desk. So Herald Villiers, what are you up to these nights when not at Court?

She perks up. All wide eyed. "Ah, well, sir...I am engaged in all manner of studies, sir! Energetic ones and more sedentary too! I work hard to perfect my piano studies...I investigate jogging and other sports...and I am engaged in a recon and geomantic survey of the entire Domain, sir!" a happy smile. "All of these occupy my time in great depth! I should, sir, ask you the same! I daresay your evenings are filled with something other than study and the Duties of Office too!"

Lately? I've been finding myself chasing ghosts... If the slightest hint of melancholy spreads across the Reeve's face, it fades just was quickly as it formed, the Mekhet's lips parting in a soft grin. Instead of elaborating on his statement, Max turns the conversation towards Martha's interests.

Ah, so you're a pianist? Interesting, have you been at it long? It's been some time since I've seen anyone in the city possess an interest in music. He nods as she talks of sports, himself having found some small piece of tranquility from martial arts. I do try to find time for the occasional work out as well. Have you found any particular activity that has caught your fancy?

Martha nods. Twin tails bob with excitement. "Mother had me playing the piano before I could walk, sir! They had me performing a great many things before I could walk, sir." she giggles cheerfully. Delighted to talk about her music. "I don't believe I have a natural talent for it, but I do enjoy playing, sir!" a happy smile. "I do believe they have a piano installed in the rear lounge, sir. I would like to play for you, sir, if you would tolerate listening to my efforts!" she smiles, her modest comments seem inclined to a sincerity. Not an effort at false modesty.

Max nods, smiling a little at the Herald's enthusiasm. I never did learn to play an instrument. My parents thought I would be better served learning more worldly pursuits like history and business.

His smile grows slightly as she offers to play, Max taking a step towards the door. I would love to, Herald; I think this house has been too long without pleasant sounds echoing within it... Max makes his way towards the door, holding it open for Martha to proceed him to the lounge.