As the meeting of Haunts concluded; Jennifer paused outside on the porch of the hotel. She pointedly avoided looking in Brenn's direction; looking
instead outwards towards the odd passage. As Mr. Drake walks by; Jennifer turns towards him.

"Mr. Drake," She greets; closing the distance between them to a reasonable personal space.
"Do you have a moment? I was curious about your past that you mentioned earlier..."

Oh dear sweet Lord, my past. Castor offers a tire smile. "Yes Ms. Hazelton, what would you like to know about my past?" His tone is polite and attentive.

"Well.." Jennifer paused; turning her head slightly to see who is observing them.
"I'll be honest; Mr. Drake; I'm curious about the experiences I bet you've had. I've led a more sheltered Danse... one ill prepared for attacks on Clan meetings."
The Nosferatu gives him her eyes.
"I imagine you're not nervous about the possibility of a scuffle.."

"No Ms. Hazelton, I am always nervous of a fight. My days as a soldier cured me of bloodlust. Though, I doubt that is the context you meant. To answer your question, I am confident in my ability to defend myself." Castor examines Jennifer. The young were often ill prepared for the violence that came with damnation. That or they were too well suited to it. Both made Castor a little sad. "You, I take it, do not have confidence in your own abilities?" The question is not meant to be rude. He asks in an almost casual manner.

"Lack of blood lust is reassuring in our current situation, Mr. Drake."

"I had little occasion to defend myself in life." Jennifer replied. "The first time it arose; I died. That led to a Danse I do not regret; do not misunderstand me.
But I have no desire to be so easily taken; especially now that we suspect the threat to us remains. I don't suppose you may have a little time in your evenings? " Jennifer wheedled.

This young woman wanted to learn to defend herself. "Yes I do Ms. Hazelton. Though I suspect I know the answer, why do you inquire about my evenings?" Castor's voice is a touch flat. The idea of teaching someone to fight was not his idea of a good time.

"I would inquire if you'd be interested in tutoring me," Jennifer replied, seeing no benefit in beating around the bush. "- I am a patient learner and would not
monopolize your time. I also am a firm believer in fair trade.

If you have pressing priorities for settling into Sacramento; I would understand."

Jennifer actually made Castor smile. At least she was direct. None of the usual Kindred maneuvering. He admired that a bit. "Ms. Hazelton, I would be interested in teaching you assuming you have something of value to trade in return."

"But there is something you must understand."
The pleasantness leaves Castor's voice and he takes on a much more somber tone. "What I do best I learned over the better part of two centuries. It has taken me lifetimes to learn these skills and to be honest, they were not pleasant to learn. I can't teach you to defend yourself. I can teach you to take life. I am no boxer. My methods won't render a person unconscious. What you would be learning is how to use a knife to leave a man bled out or torpored. Is that really what you want to learn how to do?"

Deep down he hoped she said no. Being a soldier was hardly something he had wanted to pass on. Castor's knowledge of books and religion was something he wanted to teach, but to make a connection in this new city he would be willing to educate Ms. Hazelton.

Mr. Drake's words gave Jennifer pause.

"I wouldn't wish to harm any person," She stated with finality. "- yet I'm not going to be putting myself in situations where I'd have to harm people. It's the
unprovoked attacks that have prompted me to reconsider. To be honest; I lack Brenn's physical strength.
If theres some way I could defend myself with more finesse; I would welcome it.
I have some knowledge I'd be willing to impart or I could provide my gratitude through monetary means.

This time in a softer tone, Castor appears more relaxed. "I'm glad you understand the situation. I worried you might not fully appreciate the gravity of what you were asking." She was right about needing to defend herself. While Jennifer may be stealthy, stealth would not save her from a direct attack. "My residence is a few miles away in the communal area, I'll give you the address in a moment. If you could come by Tuesday and Thursday evenings around 10 o'clock, that would be best for me." The basement would provide enough room for them to practice if he moved the furniture a bit. There was still a touch of hesitation in Castor about teaching Jennifer to knife fight, but he knew that it would be for the best.

"As for compensation, how about you bring me a book each week. It can be on any subject, fiction or non-fiction, and I am particularly fond of history books. Would that be an agreeable trade to you?"
His smile returns. It was a low cost for such a service, but he had few books in his possession and
desired more.

Jennifer's face broke into a wide smile.
"Thank you, Mr. Drake. "

The neonate struggled to mask her pleasure, her smile fading as she tried to focus on the arrangements. As he mentions his haven, a rare privilege to see
another's, her attitude becomes grave and serious.
"That sounds very agreeable to me. I promise to protect the location of your haven." She states sincerely.
"I appreciate your trust."

Castor had no qualms about showing her his haven. She was obviously taken aback. "I'm not being reckless with the location Ms. Hazelton. My home is an abandoned building. It's hardly a secure location and if it's ever compromised there are other places to rest. To me this is not much of a risk, though I appreciate the discretion you plan to use." Of course there was a danger but Castor doubted that an immediate family member would betray him. Especially considering who their Priscus was.

"Also, don't bother with buying a knife. You and I will go buy one together. Present day, it is difficult to even find a good knife."
Castor's drawl becomes worse at the end and he clears his throat when he finished speaking.

"That is a good point that I hadn't considered before." [/COLOR] She realized. "I have never seen
anything more than a switch blade in use of late."

Switch blades, she had learned from that fool's choice, were poor choices of blades.
"Do you have an idea of where we shall go?"

They wouldn't be using switch blades. At least not until she was as good as Castor. "Switch blades are easily broken." His voice becomes casual. "No, when we go shopping you will get a solid piece of steel not some toy made in China. What good is a knife if it breaks off inside someone after you hit a rib?" Of course, Castor had never had such problems himself, but his ribs had broken a few switch blades. Muggers just didn't understand that he wasn't a good target. "There are a few local gun and knife shops in Sacramento I am sure. We will go and buy you a combat dagger or something similar."

"Excellent," [/COLOR]Jennifer processed this information with a nod. "I'll try and find some of these stores online. "

A few days ago shopping for a weapon would be ludacris; but news of the attack and what they had found worried her.
"Someone gorged that into the ground.." She murmured quietly. "That took time. Time while they were
waiting, watching our family? Or had they been staking the Family out for awhile now?"

The revelation that someone had attacked the Haunts' entire clan was disturbing to Castor as well. "Do not worry over it Ms. Hazelton. The perpetrator is more powerful than any of us individually, but as a clan we are stronger, we have greater numbers. The biggest advantage this enemy had was surprise and without it, he will be easily subdued. That is IF we continue to work together."

"Of course we shall continue to work together. We are Family." Jennifer stated; as though to not work together would be insanity.
"I try not to let it worry me; but there are many newcomers to the domain... and not knowing if we are observed frightens me."

She is unashamed to admit her fallibly. She is young; she is not married to a false sense of bravado.

"I am curious, do you have any family outside of this clan? A sire? A sister or brother?" Castor's tone is friendly and non-intrusive.
"Family is all that I have," She replied to Mr. Drake easily.
"I left my Sire in San Diego. He was reclusive to the point of being a hermit, so I never associated with any one but fellow Nosferatu.
I have no ties to there any longer."

Her mortal family was still there. thinking of them made her expression sadden.

"Although; another has become important to my Danse," She admitted. "I have formed a coterie with a
close friend that I trust."

The young band together for support. Castor felt a pang of regret for never forming such bonds. "That takes a great deal of trust. I'm glad you have such security here. Our kind are often quick to betray. That is one of the reasons I have devoted myself so faithfully to the Church. It has been a source of security for me, even though it is subject to politics as well. At least I am able to provide some benefit through it." At this Castor felt a surge of pride. He was a part of something more than himself. He was a servant of God. "Even for all the fear that most have of the Spear, there is a higher purpose there... Forgive me, I am harping. My apologies Ms. Hazelton. I know little of you. It was inappropriate of me."

Jennifer listened to Castor intently; nodding slowly to show that she was actively listening.

"No; its fine." Jennifer smiled encouragingly. "I'd actually like to hear more. My Grand Sire educated me on the ways of the First Estate; but beyond that I feel that I ought to broaden my horizons.

I've never had a chance to hear opinions other than those of my Sire; and he was pessimistic about every organization. "

It was a bit surprising to Castor. The young were rarely so open minded. "All organizations have their faults, the Lancea et Sanctum is no different. Many are turned away by the dogma, which varies from Church to Church, but some find meaning in it. That is what happened to me. I was practically feral when Cardinal Keyes found me, and I survived that encounter by the grace of God." Castor chuckles a little. "I was 3 years into my Requiem and attacked a Kindred 250 years my elder. Suffice it to say the struggle was short." He smiles a the memory. "He saved me though. The Church educated me, provided me shelter and purpose. That is what Faith does though. It has been the most important part of my life." There is deep reverence in Castor's voice. He clearly holds a devotion to the Church.

Jennifer's eyes widened at hearing of Castor's experiences.
"I am glad you found someone worthy of being your mentor. That could have been a black night; which would be a shame."
Jennifer was sincere; genuinely glad that someone of such caliber had joined the Nosferatu here. The family may be smaller than the numbers she was used to in San Diego; but they certainly were a diverse and she trusted they'd benefit the Family.

"Yes, Priscus Grigoriev spoke some about the Purpose to me earlier." Jennifer nodded slowly.
"It seems to be a practical purpose; but I imagine it is a hard path to follow."[/QUOTE]

"It sounds more impressive than it really was. Much of my life has been quiet study and lighting candles. I am grateful that I was worthy of such a mentor." [/COLOR]Jennifer was proving surprisingly personable. Enjoyable even. "The Purpose can be taxing in some ways. The hardest part is not emotionally investing. You must want to be a predator. That is a hard persona to emulate. Though the Priscus seems to have done well. Personally I still work towards that goal, but have yet to attain it." Some part of Castor didn't want to. [COLOR="#FF0000"]"Tell me, have you been to a Midnight Mass?"

"A quiet life can be a meaningful one," Jennifer replied. Most of her time had been spent correlating others' research; but she
liked to think that it had been helpful to some.

"I would find it hard not to become emotionally invested." She confided. "Emotions run deep in me; and it's been an odd experience here in Sacramento. I was pressured to be silent when I enjoyed Sire's Hospitality; its been a ne experience to realize people are
actually hearing me now."

"No, I have not." She replied. "Could you tell me more about it?"

"Once you understand the danger you pose to the mortal's it gets easier. The problem is that even if you explain that to someone, it is a lesson that must be learned personally." Castor says this in a nonchalant way. "And I have yet to attend Mass in Sacramento yet. I won't spoil it but you should attend the next ceremony. It would give you a taste of what the Sanctified are like as an organization. Though it may be a while. There is no Bishop to lead." Even though Castor assumed that Sidor would ascend to the rank, it was best to keep such thoughts private.

"I would enjoy attending the mass." Jennifer shared. "It sounds very intriguing. Your avoidance of
discussing it adds even more mystery,"
She smiles, showing that she is intrigued and pleased about his suggestion for her to attend.

"But I shall not keep you all night," Jennifer promises; glancing around to realize others had drifted off.
"You're doing me a favor; and I break my promise of monopolizing your evening."
She smiled.
"I enjoyed our conversation. I hope to see you on Tuesday?" She confirmed their next meeting with a raised brow,

She didn't let much slip by. "Allow me to continue dogging the question." Castor gives a toothy smirk. Pulling a pen and small notebook out of his pocket, Castor scrawls his address on it and hands it to Jennifer. "If you would be so kind as to avoid being seen and use the back door. The neighbors are hardly nosy but it's best not to attract attention." He does a small bow to her. "Have a pleasant evening Ms. Hazelton."
"Thank you, Mr. Drake." She replied with a smile.
"I shall do as you ask. I look forward to seeing you this Tuesday." She smiles. "Be well until we meet
again. "