THREADID
    Seneschal, Baroness Notary, Priscus of Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

(Note: This takes place just after the first meeting with Ricardo and Jennifer and just prior to Expanding the Team)

The Avalon was quiet. The lights are low.

In the silence and by The Stairs Herald Villiers is waiting. Standing as she quietly reads. She reads a copy of 'Movie Made America: a cultural history of American movies' by Robert Sklar. Textbook in hand, cane tucked under her arm. Dressed in her school uniform of long gymslip, straw boater hat...white blouse with red necktie...white socks...Oxford shoes with a black blazer and satchel. She waits in silence.

Jennifer stepped closer to the Herald, speaking to announce her presence. The Nosferatu pauses in the doorway of Avalon, loosening her grip on the Blood. Her child-like beast sang out, announcing her presence before her words would. She proceeds slowly until she sees the form of the Herald reading by the stair case. She turns her head, scanning the building to see if they were alone.

"Good evening, Herald Villiers." She bobbed a curtsy when she reached a distance where speaking conversationally would be easy. "I trust that you have been well?" Jennifer inquired as she slowly straightened.

Tonight she wore one of her new outfits- the second of three she'd purchased before coming to Sacramento. She was going to have to go shopping soon.

[[OOC:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...NMX007A_mp.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...NMD4043_mp.jpg ]]

Martha heard the arrival of Jennifer and the clack of high heels before she saw her. She begins to put her textbook away and smiled as she watched, with wide eyes, Jennifer descend The Stairs. Watching her each step of the way. As she puts her book away, she takes her cane from under her arm and begins to put it to use to lean upon.

Returning her curtsy with a respectful nod of the head. "Good evening to you, Miss Hazelton! I have been very well, thank you for asking! I do hope you are well too!" she asks, smiling. Glancing to Jennifer's exposed legs and shoes, eyes lingering on her shoes and knees before looking back to Jennifer. "I hope I may be permitted to say that I find your dress very stylish, miss!" she offers, seemingly sincere. "Very becoming!"

"I'm glad to hear that you are well." Jennifer replied, smiling at the other woman. "Thank you. I wasn't sure what was appropriate." She tilts her head, glancing at the title of the book that the Herald was reading. "Are you catching up on some studying?"

Martha wasn't totally certain it was appropriate, but was interested to see what Jen thought was. Nodding eagerly, her twin tails bob. "Indeed! I am always studying, miss!" she chirps happily, limping closer, she gets the book from her satchel and shows it to Jen with a smile, allowing Jen the chance to flick through the book if she wishes.

"American movies?" Jennifer read off the title, righting her head to look at the Herald. "Fascinating. I took a film class that was far less than interesting. We spent four weeks analyzing Citizen Kane, and he wasn't that interesting to begin with.

Martha laughs merrily, but latches quickly onto the topic; "A student of film, are you, miss? I should be very interested to hear more about those studies!" she gestures over towards the couches deeper into the Avalon area with a graceful hand motion and a bright smile.

"I was a college student before my Embrace.' She confided. "I took classes outside of my major area because it was the first time I had all the time to pursue what I wanted."

"Perhaps you would wish to converse over there, miss? Would you care for some refreshment? I have Coke Cola...water...tea, even!" another happy smile.

"Yes, that would be nice." She replied, moving over to a couch and awaiting the Herald to sit. "I'll have whatever you are having, Madam Herald. Thank you." She nods her head in gratitude.

Martha smiles and nods happily. "Ah! Splendid! If you will excuse me a moment then, miss! I shall return shortly with your drink!" she smiles, nods meekly and limps off into her chamber. Her leg dragging, very little about the motion suggests walking is easy.

Martha returns a while later carrying a simple round plastic tray of olive green. A bottle of Coke and two tall glass tumblers upon it. She takes great care to carry the tray, each limping step is measured and calculated. Concentration upon her task is full.

Eventually she reaches the couch and low coffee table. Setting the tray down upon it. Passing a glass to Jennifer with a smile, she takes time to carefully pour a generous helping of the drink. Watching Jennifer happily, sneaking a look to Jennifer' shoes for a moment. "Sorry for the delay, miss! Those studies, miss, they sound very interesting and exciting! I should wish to hear even more about them! What else did you study, might I ask, please?" wide eyed and sincere glee at talking to Jennifer.

"Thank you, Madam Herald." Jennifer nodded gratefully at the refreshments. When was the last time someone offered refreshments? Was this what a host was supposed to do? A frown of uncertainly flickered across her face.

"My major was information systems and I dallied with ethical hacking." She replied. "I was near graduation at the time of Embrace; but the ceremony is at eleven A.M." She flashes a rueful smile. "I had to miss that. Going the online route for the last couple of semesters to stay current. When I had the whole catalog to pick from-" when I was alive - "I studied Chicano and Native American history, Sociology. A few classes here and there. I found sociology interesting. What areas of study do you enjoy?"

Martha takes the opportunity to sit down while she listens avidly to Jennifer talk. All smiles, she adjusts her gymslip for maximum modesty as she stretches her leg out. Sitting meekly, she tilts her head to listen too. "Ah, well...I see we share many interests in common, miss! As with yourself, I do not confine myself to one area of study, miss! I too attended University and Read Classics and whatnot too...but, since then I have studied...as you have, though I daresay without the dilligence you display...sociology...anthropology...music...histo ry...ancient and modern...cultural studies...with specific reference to Postmodernism..." she smiled, happy to share, it seems, rather than show-off. "I confess this...ethical hacking...it sounds most strange! But...I should be interested to hear of your final thesis, miss! Tell me about your research topic, please!"

"Oh, I haven't devoted much time to Sociology online. I find half the fun is contributing in discussions with class mates; hearing their histories; their experiences." While she may attend a 7 to 9:50 class, she was still worried her voice would not hold up for the impassioned debates in class. "I never devoted much time to art," She admitted. "I regret that now, hearing how it seems to enrich others lives."

"Ethical hacking isn't as terrible as it seems. I would have been employed by a company who would trust me in finding and fixing computer security vulnerabilities. Sort of..the opposite of a hacker. My computer forays would be reported to the company in question to beef up their security."

Martha nods as she listens, smiles at mention of art and pays close attention when the talk turns to hacking. "I see...that explains your mentioning your expertise when we met!" a smile. "Well...it all sounds very exciting!" another smile. "Rewarding too, I daresay! I hope I may be candid, miss, when I observe you are very impressive to me!" she smiles. Sneaks a glance to Jennifer's legs and then a happy, sincere, smile to Jennifer.

"You are too kind, madam Herald." Jennifer bobbed her head, embarrassed. "My abilities placed me in my Sires' sights and he put me to work quickly enough. I was tethered to his side from that first evening on-wards; documenting information on his rivals." Were she human, she would have sighed. "It was unfulfilled work. Now that I can see the court of Sacramento with my own eyes; free off his voice in my ear I see that I have been woefully uneducated."

She looked back down to her dress, smoothing it with a hand.

"I'm not even sure what to wear to next court. Or who should be given what level of respect."

She raises her eyes; bashfully; admitting what her Beast would like to hide.

"I've been looking forward to this night. I know that you are a very busy woman and I wouldn't keep you from your studies long, Madam. Yet if I may have the honor of your honest opinion, would you be so kind to tell me of my greatest flaw; in action or behavior?"

Martha listened carefully. She seemed almost to want to rewind some of the Jennifers words to hear them again. She sat in quiet contemplation, rubbing at her knee and with her eyes closed. It is some time before she speaks. "Your greatest flaw, miss, I cannot judge...nor would I have the temerity to do so after so brief an encounter!" a smile, "an obvious flaw, however, and it is one that could earn you a great deal of trouble...are the twin enemies of good manners: impatience and a lack of proper respect in Court to rank and office. You made little or no effort to open with any pleasentries with me...you launched immediately into explaining your intentions and desires...no thought offered to any desires I may hold or seek to gratify...so to speak. No attempt made to cursty. I am glad to see some corrections in this!" she smiles, her words are not harsh. "I am even more pleased by the wisdom of your questions. What to wear? We shall start with that. Naturally, we do not possess a uniform. We are at liberty to wear what satisfies our own requirements or interests." she gestures to her own school uniform. "However, to dress with decorum and style is always wise. Little harm can befall you if you dress with style and decorum! Though, the Alder Prince objects to aggresive manners, impatience and any display of discourtsey to his Officers!" she nods meaningfully, as if alerting Jennifer to some good sound advice. "He has banished people for less. I would hate to see you in that number! The Barrens is no place to dwell! Turning again to attire: what you are wearing delights me! The Alder Prince has often expressed a preference that his courtiers should be comfortable...but...on that matter, opinions will clearly differ." she rubs hard at her hip for a moment, lost in some thought. She begins again, "Before we turn to whom at Court warrants appropriate respect and deferrence, if I were now to turn the question back upon you, having endured my rambling! What, miss, do you assess is your own greatest flaw?" a smile is offered, she plays with one of her twin tails. No malice in her words, only a gentle and sincere friendliness.

Jennifer was silent a moment, contemplating Martha's words. As the moments pass, she turns the question inward, considering what her greatest flaw truly was.

"I think... inexperience." She decides after a moment. "I seldom have attended Court or met my Elders. I have few experiences to draw from when faced with an experience that confuses me. Perhaps I should spend more time seeing how others my age navigate Court... and what is thought of them."

She met the Herald's eye.

"Have many others sought help with learning proper decorum?"

Meeting her gaze, the Herald shakes her head. "No...they have not, miss. Though I know Harpy Donovan wishes to start a class to encourage the teaching and learning thereof!" a happy smile. "I shouldn't worry about your inexperience. That is not a flaw as such, more an unhappy side effect of having had other preoccupations!" a smile of reassurance. "Now, miss...what is you wish to know first?" a happy smile, busy hands flutter to gesture to open with questions.

"I have to say how pleasant it is to hear you speak so openly. I've never enjoyed truly open conversation until I came to Sacramento."

Jennifer leaned back in her chair, her eyes rolling heavenward as she considered. She'd written a list the evening after she and Ricardo had departed, but she had not prioritized. Finding a question, she leaned forward again, the zeal of her curiosity lending a glean to her eyes.

"Could you tell me a faux pas that happened in recent nights that could have been avoided? It is one of my many fears to error in Court; or before you on our patrols."

She is honest; painfully so. It reminds her how much Ricardo disliked divulging information, but for some reason, she trusted the Herald.

Martha nods, the memory of so many faux pas was too vivid, she had to select one at first. "Well..." she begins, leaning closer and with an anecdotal and friendly tone, "...there was an incident at Court recently whereby a new and eager neonate, not unlike yourself in that regard, miss...bounded up to the Alder Prince and...without waiting for the proper invite to close and approach: started talking right there and then!" wide eyed. "Needless to say, miss...last we heard he was cooling his heels in The Barrens!" hands wave at the horrid notion of the Barrens. "The Barrens are not only sparse with food, but also the lair of great dangers! To be avoided! Another incident was...well...when the Alder Prince assigned a matter to a Kindred, the Kindred failed to keep the Alder Prince adequately informed of developments and profits! Again, needless to say, we have seen no more of her...a matter of some regret to me...but: it is vital to keep the Officers of Court informed of matters that concern them!" she smiles, rubs hard at her stiff thigh and nods. Seeming to enjoy this talk. "All these could be avoided...common sense alone would surely have played a part in avoiding penalty!"

"Right up to the Prince?" Jennifer blinked, aghast. "Thank you...that reminds me of another thought: I've been trying to see where poachers could be squatting and feeding in his Majesty's domain. If I think I have a solid lead; where should the information be directed?" She bobs her head. "Not that I'd think I'm any better than the current investigators. I just believe in marrying technology with good footwork."

Martha nods as if to say yes, right to the Prince...she smiles, studies Jen's legs a moment then replies, looking back to Jen; "Ah, well...another excellent question, miss! The Reeve...one of his Deputies...myself, of course...the Harpy! All of these people will need to know sooner or later. On no account leave anyone out!" she giggles, bright eyed. "I should be interested to see how your command of technology can aid with this! I understand, miss, that there are some exceedingly powerful geographic information systems and devices available!" she says with care, clearly enjoying the modern sound of the phrase GIS.

"Indeed, Madam Herald. Thank you for the information. Should I leave a note in Avalon or do they have a message service?" She leans forward at the Herald's interest. "Indeed. There's a fad with people burying bits and others finding them called 'geocaching'. It's led to the development of more sophisticated GPS that can be used to effectively communicate exactly where someone - or a problem - is. I had a thought to use it on patrols to communicate any problem instantly to officials who need to know."

Martha becomes excited at this, clearly amused. "This is astounding!" she rubs hard at her thigh and shifts in her seat to move closer to Jen. "It could improve patrols and all manner of our activity! We must explore and examine this change!" she says, with wide, eager eyes.

"Great. I've book marked some of my favorites. If its all right, Ricardo, Nao and I could explore which ones are best and submit our feedback." She pauses. "I
    could bring them on the patrol. Perhaps we could even devise a Masquerade - ensuring code for situations. What sort of situations should we be alert for?"

Martha blinks, still enthused at things, but suddenly all the talk of codes made her pause to think. Nodding thoughtfully, she asked, "Miss Zhong? Is she part of your Coterie, miss?"

"Oh, did we not mention that earlier?" She shook her head. "My apologies. Miss Zhong and I are co - habiting right now. We hope to be able to forge a safer place for the three of us eventually. We've been working together on our goals. I hope it wouldn't be too forward if she accompanies us? We tend to spend the majority of our time together."

Martha smiles, rubs hard at her thigh, shakes her head, "Not at all! I am just surprised...I would have thought she might have taken the time to be along with you the other evenigng, miss! When you and Senor Reyes visited." a smile. "I...I notice she seemed a little unfamiliar with some central aspects to our protocols, vocabulary and procedures! I do hope she is not a burden to you in that regard! Worse...I hope the gaps in her knowledge do not endanger her...you...or the collective Masquerade!" she looks meaningfully to Jennifer. Not a stern look, but one which hints at...things she wanted to avoid. "If you feel she would value from instruction...I would welcome teaching her. In fact, miss...I don't mind admitting to you that I was alarmed at her ignorance. So much so I was thinking of employing her here...as some form of...well...in some capacity! Just so I could help teach her, guide her...keep her from harm!" she offers, all wide eyed, rubs at her hip and pelvis now, sharing a worried look to Jennifer, as if her anxiety for Nao was genuine and her thoughts on it were being share with a friend.

Jennifer paused as she considered where to proceed. She didn't want to betray her coterie - sister; but she felt the rising urge to defend her.

"Miss Nao Zhong and I are very similar in that aspect." She stated. "My sire was neglectful of necessities. I suspect hers was even moreso." She leans forward, splaying her hands to indicate brutal honesty.

"Ricardo and I feel a kinship with her that transcends any initial concerns. As he is our Elder; he's taken time to indicate how we should behave. Where her Sire has shirked his respectability, we wish to support her with more positive emotions than any of we experienced in our tutelage. If you wish, I could convey your offer to work here? I also did not invite her along to the etiqeutte experience that I am enjoying. Perhaps she would enjoy it, if you don't mind an additional pupil?"

Martha nods, happy to listen and with a clearly growing sense that her initial fears might have been too much. "Ah! I see, miss! Goodness! Though sorry for you that you endured a careless Sire, I welcome your words! I can see my confidence in you is not misplaced! Please make my offer known to Miss Zhong...it is a genuine offer. I do not seek to entrap or enslave...merely do as you are: protecting!" she rubs harder still at her lower pelvis now, frowning for a moment, then tries a bashful smile to Jennifer. "Well...we distracted ourselves!" she giggles bashfully, "Codes...yes...codes...tricky things: codes. It would and should take time to assemble a proper code as you suggest. But..." she holds up a finger to playfully emphasise her point, "...a project we should explore too! It may surprise you to hear it, but I welcome the Future, miss! I embrace the opportunities it brings! I do not hesitate to witness the technological marvels you speak upon! At your convenience, miss, please show me what you have in mind when you have a formulated device!" a happy, delighted smile. Her hands wave for a moment as she enthuses about the Future.

She smiles; pleased at Martha's response.

"Yes, I shall relay your thoughts to her. She is clever, independent. I trust in her and it pleases me to hear you so willing to protect the domain's youngest subject." She turns her thoughts with Martha's segue. "Yes, but all have time to consider codes. I shall order a trio this evening and will begin to explore them. I'll be quick to report any feedback that we have to you."

She leans forward. "I would love to explore the city; to learn all of its crevices that may harbor dissension. Yet what would you like me to do?"

Martha nods, pleased at the enthusiasm. "For the moment, we need to focus on what we can learn about the layout of the Domain...begin to map and chart it! Once we have carried out your digital recon, we may develop other activities!" she smiles, clearly delighted at all this.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"This is most agreeable to me, Madam Herald." Jennifer brightened. "I have enjoyed walking the city. I have made myself aware of the Prince's edicts against feeding on the brave men and women of the defense and medical services of the city. I have done a bit of doodling..."

She reaches into her inner breast pocket, pulling out a printout that she was working on before.

"Now, my first thought is of detecting poachers; their havens and feeding habits. Please correct me if there are already methods against this." She presses the Google earth image - of its aerial view of Arden Arcade - onto the flat surface of the table. "I would first look here." She indicated the 24 hour fitness. "People go in at all hours - customers and employees. They may be exhausted and overwhelmed, perhaps be easy pickings. A poacher could also utilize the facility." Her finger trailed around the outlying buildings. "These," She pointed to two. "- keep hours after dark. We could check to see if we detect any of our kind among the clientele. " She pauses. "I've only worked a small section, thinking to divide the patrol into easily managed sectors. I'm not sure how long it would take to patrol the perimeter of the communal feeding area, for example."

She pauses, daring to flick her eyes to see if the Herald would meet hers.

"Might I ask if anyone else would be accompanying us... and perhaps how we should compose ourselves in their presence? I have met the Deputy briefly, but he struck me as inscrutable."

Martha studied the work Jen had done and listened attentively. She met Jen's gaze almost on cue and was clearly giving a great deal of thought to the suggestion. She sat in silence for a while. "Goodness me! Very careful, miss! Very interesting suggesstion. The Deputy can be...Laconic!" she chuckles, "But I am confident he would support a vital effort to patrol the Domain! This is an interesting mission you outline, miss...one we should enter into once prepared and having rehearsed. I wonder, please...might I have your contact details...so I may arrange to meet with you again once I have given thought to this project! It is exciting! But I should hate for my excitement to overpower my assessment of what we shall need to do to prepare! I am impressed, miss...this shows the power of aerial photography in enhancing the appreciation of tactical situations!" a happy smile, she is clearly sincere in her words and obviously impressed by what she has heard.

"The power of Google Earth," Jen smiled wryly. "Thank you for your insight." She sobers. "I wish only to be of use to the Crown and his officials; as all of Los Tigres wishes."

"Of course, my contact details." Jennifer pulls out a pen from her pocket and makes a notation on the bottom corner of the map.

"This is my phone number and email. I check both at the beginning of every night." She promises. "Please don't hesitate to call. I'll be studying the map further and I hope I may contact you if I have any ideas? I may try and rig up our own cameras after we identify a likely spot; if I get your permission, of course. In case there are any mortal associates of the enemy to the Crown; the poacher."

Martha nodded her thanks for the contact number as Jen was persisting with talk of countering the poacher...and this encouraged Martha to look again at the map. She leaned back to study it.

"Well...as I say, we should be careful. No reason to be hasty." she smiles. "Talk to the Deputy about all of this...it sounds very much the sort of thing he and the Reeve need to be aware of...in activity and enhanced capability! Though...if they are Kindred...how will they show up via the digital image device, miss?" she asks, puzzled, clearly wondering at the technology.

Jennifer frowns. "You've seen the Achiles heel of my idea." She said, not hesitant to point out flaws in her own idea. "I had thought there may be mortals involved. Most of the Kindred I knew had mortals under their employ." She shook her head. "But as you said, no need to make so many assumptions. Perhaps I am simply becoming excited." She shakes her head. "I will work on my composure as we've discussed."

She straightens righting her posture as she considers the Herald's words. "Is there anything further you'd like me to do?"

"Oh! I would only urge increasing one's composure at Court, miss! Between you and I, talking as we are, I enjoy the enthusiasm you display!" a happy smile, a sneaky look to Jen's legs. Then back again to Jen's eyes. "At present, miss...I have nothing further to add, save that I shall be interested to hear of your planning and other activity!"

Another friendly smile is offered.

Jennifer smiled, pleased to hear that the Herald seemed just as excited as she was. "I'm glad to hear you say that, Madam Herald. My current plans are to return to Google Earth and try to familiarize myself with the city. I would like to have an idea of where we are going when we traverse the city on foot." She smiled. "I'll refine my idea before I approach the Deputy. Perhaps I'm hearing hoof beats and looking for zebras." She grins. "I am new to the city; and would like to help with whatever situations are in the city now. Are there any pressing security concerns, madam?"

Martha rubs hard at her stiff knee, shakes her head gently. "There is always some peril, miss! However, for the present, we should focus upon planning and preperation. If you wish though, I would not discourage you from making an appointment to see the Reeve and asking him the selfsame question!" a happy smile.

"Indeed. I've made an urban exploring bag to handle minor situations that might come up. I wonder if we could practice maneuvers; over time. Do you have anything I could do to help with the preparations?"

"The Reeve would see me?" Jennifer paused. "I would not wish to bother the Reeve. I'm sure he is a busy man; having appointed two deputies. " She teetered, debating the fear of annoying the Reeve with the dissapintment of not being as helpful as she could have been. "Maybe I can request a meeting. His time is his own; if he's too busy for me."

Smiling, Martha nods. "Well, it does not hurt to ask, miss! I should be interested to see this bag and contents too!" she smiles again.

"Thank you Madam Herald," Jennifer bobbed her head into a respectful nod, respect she enjoys showing while seated. " - for taking the time to see me; and for your kind words of encouragement. I would not wish to take up too much of your evening." She looks up with a shy smile. "I have enjoyed our conversation very much."

Martha rubs hard at her knee, gazes at Jen's legs and nods happily as Jen talks, her attentions return to Jen fully. "I have greatly enjoyed talking to you too, miss! I look forward to many other meetings! You won't forget to show me this bag, will you, miss?" a sincere smile. All wide eyed eagerness.

"That would be a pleasure." Jen said happily. "Of course I shall remember to show you the bag, Madam Herald." Jennifer promises. "I did not bring it tonight because some of the things could be fashioned as weapons and that would never do in Avalon."

Martha laughs happily, nodding. "I am jolly glad to hear that! Perhaps we can meet elsewhere...bring the bag when we go on patrol! It doesn't involve you dressing as Miss Lara Croft does it?" she smiles playfully as she struggles to her feet, pain is soon is obvious on her face as she rises from the seat, but is soon banished once she steadies herself, nodding. Twin tails bob. "Ah...I have enjoyed our talk, miss...I look forward to our next meeting."

Jennifer laughs at the mental image of herself dressing as Lara Croft.
    "No, madam." She replies, working to suppress her smile. "Yes, I'll bring it on patrol! I'll see about getting those GPS asap as well. They'd be a boon on our outing." She bows respectfully to the Herald. "Thank you for your time, Madam Herald. I hope you are well until we meet again." Jennifer says with sincerity in her voice.

"Thank you...and you also!" a smile as she lets Jennifer return to her evening of plans and action.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Closed Thread