Enjoy the read (and maybe the music!), I'm not sure if it actually has a clue but I wanted to write something. Here I want to note that you shouldn't take any assumptions about the river and how strong it's current is for the truth. Because I actually didn't swim to the bottom myself.

We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we'd ride

- Bruce Springsteen

With that song playing in the back of his head Chris watches the Azevedo River. He is here with a purpose, although he isn’t sure what that is. The Hierophant asked him to "spend an evening this month in the river. Search the flow of its current, and speak to me what you find."
He planned to do just that. The young Acolyte stands nearly naked on the edge between land and water. Now already he praised the goddess he couldn’t feel the cold so badly.

First toe in. First toe out again!

Ok, it would take a while this way. What possibly could a river do to him? An attempt to drown him? Good Luck. More enthusiast now he takes a step back only to make a run at the river and jump in…

'Oh heavens… I *cough* think I found the *cough* current!' It took him further away than planned, and faster than planned. Time to dive underwater. If he didn’t want to end up at the other side of the state to meet the sun, he'd better get hold of the ground. Desperately his hands dig in the sand while his feet stop him from moving further.

No. Yes!.. No? He grabbed a water plant, fortunately stronger than it looked. Yes! And he sat down on his knees…

Find me in the river
Find me on my knees
I've walked against the water
Now I'm waiting if You please

- Delirious

Chris faced the fact that his prayers didn't always sound very poetic. So he had chosen to remember songs for this evening. Not every line fitted, but without doubt he knew the Goddess would receive his message. He asked for her enlightenment now.

”Continued”

And he waited, digging himself a little deeper into the sand to make it possible to relax. He tried to meditate, be aware of the world around him. With his enhanced senses he was very aware. And he waited.

--------

River, river carry me on
Living river carry me on
River, river carry me on
To the place where I come from

- Peter Gabriel

The next time Chris opened his eyes he saw a beautiful starry night. Living in the night wasn't that bad. He floated on the water, letting the stream taking him wherever it thought it was best to take him. It certainly gets better after a while. There was no cold, he was relaxed, and the stream wasn't really bothering him actually.

Yeah, he found some wisdom after all. It gets better.

”Song continued”

-----

But then he also realized he made a Big mistake. Capital B kinda big. River, river carry me on to the place where I come from? The Goddess knows where Chris comes from... Wait, what was the last destination of this river again? Biiig Ocean, yes duh, before that... San Francisco.

'Oh hell no.'