Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(1109) Martha Villiers & Asa Clarke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Martha Villiers

PRE

Tiny Martha dips a curtsy to the Alder Prince; "Begging your pardon, Alder Prince, the decision is one we are still consulting each other upon. Given the high value naturally placed upon the selection, we contine to shortlist candidates and assess their individual merit in detail, Alder Prince." Martha leans on her cane again as she rises from the curtsy.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

Asa nodded; it was the answer he'd expected. Nor did he expect her to elaborate on the short list, where so many might overhear and begin jockeying for position. He was almost tempted to ask who had, since she'd stripped Flores.

He looked at the conversations evolving, cataloging as he always did who spoke to whom.

Smiling at the diminutive Keeper, he said, "It seems like just the other night that you were one of the new faces. Which of these new faces will distinguish themselves, do you think?"
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha smiled to the Prince. A smile of happy recollection of their meeting when she was a new face. Nodding to the Prince in happy nostalgia then she looks about, as if to begin assessing the gathering for her reply and is wide eyed to see Sarah back! Taking in Sarah's legs and shoes she looks to Asa then back to Sarah...then over to Ricardo. Nodding to Ricardo and Ethan. "I daresay everyone has potential, Alder Prince...I see no obvious reason why any one here this evening cannot excel or perform valuable and distinguished service to the Domain and themselves! Alder Prince, I have my eye ever watchful for those with vital skills to help and...just as important...the enthusiasm to do so!" a happy smile, she leans on her cane a little more, looking to Asa as she speaks, but watchful of who is where between sentences.
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

Asa arched an eyebrow at Martha's optimism, but didn't object.

That's almost worth reviving Ruthven for. Or the neonate that tried to Dominate Ish. Or McRoy. Or...

No, he couldn't bring himself to agree with the sentiment. The unfortunate truth of their condition was that someone inevitably Embraced and idiot, and that idiot Embraced more idiots.

"This might be true, but wouldn't the converse have to be, as well?"
    he asked. Gesturing, Asa scanned the gathering.

He'd given in, if only for the sake of conversation.

"That being, that anyone here could be a disappointment or detriment?"

His eyes lingered on Katrina for a moment, then returned to Martha.
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha offers a humble curtsy to Asa. Clearly conceding to his logic. "Quite so, Alder Prince...I cannot, and would not, disagree, sir. My positive reply was not intended to obscure or suggest an ignorance of the ever present folly in people. Or their own willful disobedience...coupled with an impulse to rebel when there is no cause to fight for...or any endless number of vain pursuits of the ego or wild misunderstandings..." she follows his gaze to Katrina, she looks to check out Katrina's shoes... finds herself thwarted in that and looks back to Asa. "I would also respectfully argue, Alder prince, that any inherent folly need not be a foundation for detriment either, sir. As to whether someone becomes an actual detriment, as opposed to merely someone subject to wrong thinking or action, depends on too great a number of circumstances, sir. I would argue that there are far too many variables to compute with ease at this remove, sir. Unless they were, by some means, wicked to the core...perhaps overtaken by the ravages of the Beast...their mind controlled by external force... now that sort of corruption clearly brings them into violent confrontation or some other opposition with an ordered and prosperous society, sir! Again, such regretable descent to control of the Beast cannot easily be predicted, sir...nor, sadly, can the element of external control." she tries a respectful smile. She knew he knew that stuff, but wanted to be clear that he now knew she knew it too and was not some starry eyed Romantic. Clearly wondering if this was a parable of the Prince from which to draw a lesson. She held her cane tight to her chest as she happily studied the Prince, but was becoming apprehensive that she was now missing some key lesson or clue. The epithet: the Prince of Parables would easily fit him, she decided.

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Yes, I suppose you are committed to the notion of...,"

"...transcendence."

The pause was momentary, but there. He'd almost said 'inherent limitations', but had caught himself and substituted a more precise word. He doubted Martha would have taken offense, or considered it intentional, but the shadow of Freddrick and Straiphen were still too dark and constant reminders of such self-absorption.

He smiled, his expression masking his thoughts as he considered the Ordo Dracul.

"Would you then advocate a system of classification and regimen to define those motives and efforts?"

Asa was curious, taking the opportunity to gain some insight into the woman who might one day become Sworn and help determine Dragon policy.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha frowns. Not at the Prince, but more to herself...in a quiet thinking mode. The question asked was massive. Blinking, she considered the enormity of it. "I...I cannot say, in truth, Alder Prince. As attractive as the notion might be...to predict the outcome of someone's psychology...to identify early whether someone is ridden with malice and wickedness...and then mitigate their activity! Well...such a thing is the quest of a great many scholars. The efforts, to date, have been alarming...and rarely positive. To test people for their motives, desires...expertise, intellect, ecetera, sir...Once one gets away from Maslow's attempts...well...attempts have been made at such classifications. A great many, in fact. Rarely are they any better, in success or statistical relevance, than simple guess work would enjoy. The question rests upon so many things. How far is behavior genetic? How far is it influenced by external factors? How, in fact, do you articulate a credible explanatory model to comprehend these external factors? What role does our supernatural nature then play in overlaying and intermixing with the already unfathomable human psyche, sir? The empirical nature of such a test, or spectrum of tests, if we were to attempt one, would require overcoming some formidable examination of test subjects to establish a credible and sound test itself. Designing the tests would be hurdle enough!" a happy smile, "Then applying the tests would be open to error...even generously allowing for the fact that the subjects of the testing were honest." she shrugs, "...it is possible to roughly predict elements of behaviour...but...to within which degrees of tolerance? What thresholds could be applied? And where would the margins of error be set, sir?" she presses on, clearly extemporising...striving to answer as she might a tutor at university...only absenting the verbal footnotes for simplicity... "The best the FBI can do when attempting to classify their serial killers under investigation and suspects is to group them into Organised and Disorganised! Pfft! How banal! How futile! A survey carried out by an advertising company on Madison Avenue in the 1950s found that, had people replied honestly to the survey questions: opera attendance in the United States would have been four times the number it actually was!" she laughs happily, clearly amused by that fact, "Advertising seeks to persuade...based on deep studies of behaviours...yet, as the say: half of the money spent on advertising is wasted. Only: they don't know which half!" a happy chuckle, "Exams are flawed. Subjects of exams are flawed...the examiners are flawed. So...would we press on with shabby examinations while still attempting to extract some essential Truth from the experience? Hardly a design that is built with any hope for genuine success, I would suggest, sir! A test and classification is just as confounding as it is helpful. It encourages us to see patterns where none may exist...and may even occlude the Truth of things through careless design. However!" and here she holds up a dainty finger, "I do not say, sir, that these things are impossible to overcome...I am merely outlinging my impudent hesitation and reasons for my hesitations, sir, towards advocating an examination and investigation of such an effort at empiricist classification of the mind...for one cannot examine the criminal mind without first knowing what a Pure one may look like! What if, to our horror, we found no difference between the two, sir?! If such a test, a way of predicting the human Soul and Psyche could be accomplished, could this thing be achieved, the results would be...well...fearsome to behold. We would unlock so much potential...so much!" she seems to be aware that the dark side to such an achievment would be...dreadful, clutches her cane tighter to her chest. Wide eyed, she looks to Asa. Querying in her own mind her extemporised reply. It was a question that needed more time to analyse, she tried a shy smile. Hoping that her ramble did not fill the Prince with too much dismay. Was he speaking in parables again? Had she misunderstood? She tried a curtsy for good measure.

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

"But all these limitations you speak of... these are the limitation of Kine, are they not?" Asa asked.

He held up a finger, whether to ask for another moment or to emphasize a point, unclear.

"I am not suggesting a course of action, but are we not at a significant advantage? Your Blood itself, gives you the ability to look into the heart of a person, does it not? Other gifts of the Blood give us the ability to correct or circumvent undesirable behavior, for the benefit of all."

Asa smiled, knowing he sounded exactly like what he was: a Ventrue.

"Even if we simply avail ourselves of the benefits of Auspex, we approach levels of prescience Kine dare not dream of. It seems a shame to base the limits of our considerations upon their limitations. Unless you consider such usage of your Blood a violation of rights or privacy?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha nods obediently. She was sure she had hinted at the increased complexity about the supernatural. Before she could reassure the Prince she had the supernatural factored in, he throws her another question on Morals and Ethics! The very epitiome of the Philosopher King.

"I appreciate, sir, the additional dimension the Blood and its various abilities adds to the iss
    ue of directing and predicting human behaviour...I only meant that to begin anywhere with the study...without being further complicated by oftetimes external and internal matters of supernature...and supernatural forces of coercion and persuasion, is daunting enough! As to the supernatural trespass upon others, sir: I would hope to adopt a wise and pragmatic posture on the matter, sir, as conditions and circumstance allow and demand. If the Greater Good is imperilled, and for the benefit of all...then action needs to be taken, sir!" a happy smile as she watches Asa and his Lordly Manner with an obedient, humble, expression.

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

A smile slipped out as Asa nodded.

Arnoud would be foaming at the mouth by now.

The thought of the former Prefect remaining stoic in the face of Martha's cheerful demeanor was hilarious.

"Then the first order of business would be to determine the 'Greater Good'?"
    he asked, returning his thoughts to the conversation.

"Or rather, worthy adjudicators of the 'Greater Good'. Do you think that could be done by popular vote, or are the masses qualified? I suppose we should even wonder if the 'Greater Good' is always equal to the 'Greatest Good' -- or more aptly, that which benefits the majority."

Or Ciara. Arnoud and Ciara, that, I would have paid to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread