David waits in the private room under Avalon to speak to the Herald. He is in his usual relaxed position, enjoying the stillness of Unlife.

A small and quiet spot in the Avalon. Near the meeting rooms. The lights are low and there is little noise. In another setting, it might be thought Romantic. Near the Meeting Chamber Martha is hobbling to her Herald's Office. Textbook in hand, cane helping her along. Dressed in her school uniform, twin tails bob. Catching sight of David by the meeting room, she hooks her book under her arm and waves cheerily to him. Smiling in delight see him. "Good evening, sir!" she chirps as she hobbles over to greet him.

"Good evening, Herald Villiers." David says, walking briskly to catch up to her so that she doesn't have to strain herself to greet him. "How are you this evening?"

Her leg was stiff and clearly mostly useless to her, his effort to greet her is met with a happy smile. "I am well enough, thank you, sir! A joy to see you! Thank you, sir." she offers as he arrives near her. Leaning on her cane, she slips the history textbook into her satchel. Watching David with a happy look, as if inviting him to talk while she puts her book away.

"A student of history, Miss Villiers? I must say I am quite impressed. What aspects do you find most interesting? I seem to be in a Mongolian kick recently. Their sky gods are fascinating."

Martha gasps, happy to hear of Mongolian Sky Deities. "Indeed they are! Sky Gods abound! Not a total surprise, sir...given their environment! I am an avid and attentive, if not always careful, student of history, sir! The ancient world has always fascinated me, sir, even before Father showed me the Sudan and the palaces of Sheba!" a happy smile, a faraway look as she leans hard on her cane.

"Tengri and his children are particularly interesting, though veneration of Yer Tanri is more of interest to me. Queen Sheba? Now that is a name I have not heard in a while. her cult is quite small, though very strong based on what I have read. You say you have been there? Please, tell me of it."

She smiles, nodding as David talks of Tengri. "Oh, Sheba...yes...Father was part of a small, short duration, expedition to explore some of hinterland out there...as he was an expert explorer. I accompanied him. A foolish thing, perhaps on reflection! So many bandits!" she giggles, wide eyed. "They would just as soon as cut your throat for water as gold. But, if you won their trust...their word was their bond. A strange Men...full of murderous and noble paradox! Ah! The nights under cloudless skies! The strange brick palaces...the ragged Myrrh thorns...worth more to the merchants than almost the whitest ivory! Ah, all very alien."

"How similar, and yet different, from our current existence. The nights are still cloudless, and so many of us are bound by strange urges, but have our own strange joy to our lives. We are strangers to the kine, and yet we are so similar to them. So which are we, the noble savage, the tourist, or the God who watches us from the cloudless skies?"

Tiny Martha eagerly watches David draw comparison, nodding. Twin tails bob. A shy smile, "Some might see we are each of those...depending on one's Covenant and prejudices. I feel unable to say which I might be, though I self exclude myself from the hubris of thinking myself some goddess!" a happy smile, leaning on her cane.

David smiles at the Herald's deft dodge. "A decision I share, as Hubris seems to be so deadly of a sin in both antiquity and the present." After a brief pause to sit down, and gesturing for her to do the same. "So, when I last left you, it was to greet some members of a foreign estate, but alas, I have not learned any more than that. Can you explain?"

Martha nods, twin tails wobble as she moves to sit. A small grimace as she struggles to sit with grace. Her leg stiff and more impediment than aid. Once sat, she offers a brighter smile. "Yes, indeed, sir! I apologise for that interruption! I also wish to thank you! You were there at my side during a moment of, what could have become, a crisis! Thank you for that!" a genuine smile and a respectful nod of the head. "The ladies were envoys. Emissaries from San Francisco, Envoy of the Honourable Prince Janzen. Have you heard of him?" she asks, wide eyed and conversationally. "They came...they came to offer advice and bring news of coup d'etat their Prince had quelled. I understand there was a high cost in casualties." she looks away as she mentions this. A soft sigh, then a play with one of her twin tails before looking back to David.

David looks saddened by the news. "That is most distressing to hear. The death of any of our kind is lamentable, no matter the reason. I am sure you handled them with all the grace and poise that the Bishop lacked. To assault emissaries." David shakes his head. He would have been dead a dozen times over if he had received similar results. "I am most glad to have assisted you in the matter, and look forward to being of aid to you in the future."

Martha brightens up at this, wide eyed, she rubs at her knee as she talks, "Thank you, sir! Kind of you to offer!" a thought occurs to her, smiling again, "Sir...have you heard anything of San Francisco...Prince Janzen or anyone from there?"

"I have not. The last time I was in San Francisco was quite a long time ago; the city has certainly changed since then."

"Ah...I was eager for news about the city. The coup would certainly have occupied conversation! I worry, you see, I am eager to strengthen and prepare adequate defence against any similar outbreak of rebellion here. I suspect some nefarious infiltration was at hand. News would have been welcome." she offers a shy smile and sits her hands under her thighs to prevent further fidgeting. Watching David with gentle care.

"I of course, will be watchful of any new members of my covenant, and report any concerns. Though...speaking of San Francisco reminds me of a trip I made there a while ago. I believe we were discussing speakeasies when we were interrupted?"

"Speakeasies?" she casts her eyes to the ceiling, theatrically showing an attempt at recollection..."Ah, yes! Speakeasies...yes, of course...comparing, as you were a ball for a night in a speakeasy! An evening in a speakeasy sounds most fun filled! Not to say risky, if one were caught!" a shy giggle. Looking happily to David, clearly inviting further talk of such things.

"Some of them were, but the ones that drew me the most were the old ones, the traditional ones. The ones with the British quality whiskey and gin. They would hold events even when there was no alcohol, and those nights were some of the best. Young, beautiful women speaking their hearts, calling out to lovers gone by and lovers to come. And some of the men's poetry, deep, and philosophical, something to muse over a strong drink and a healthy cigar, to ponder the meaning of existence and life."

Sitting back she settles to listen, watching carefully. Listening with real interest. "Sounds not unlike a Platonic Symposium!" she chuckles, wide eyed.

"You do enjoy your history quite a bit don't you, Herald?" David chuckles. "Indeed. All told they were quite splendid events. Mayhap the Circle could sponsor such an evening for our kind? A night to speak of love, and to speak of pain and confusion, of loss and joy. I think it would be quite good for the city. To express grievances held secret might help quell some desire for rebellion."

Martha gives this notion some careful thought, her pondering is not theatrical. She nods. "It is an interesting notion, sir. Very interesting and compelling! One would need to be careful not to offer too much avenue for talk of dissent and invite it, where we seek to quench it!" she chuckles happily, "But, I agree...an evening as you describe could be most Enlightening! Tell me, please, sir...what other plans do you have personally and for your Covenant? I do not seek private information, of course! I am curious, however! Perhaps we can help each other!" a happy, sincere, smile.

"Much of what the Circle does is quite arcane, and I regret I cannot explain fully to you. Personally, I hope to bring the Circle back to the strength it held under Hierophant Paresh. With the restrictions enforced by Straiphen gone though, I see no reason not to surpass that. I am pleased that you find the idea intriguing though, hopefully we will be able to find common ground to bring the idea to fruition."

Martha smiles and nods. "I hope so, sir! I daresay an agile intellect is required to harness the powers you have access to!" she smiles and leaves that there, not wishing to sound as if she is probing further. "I look forward to finding more common ground, sir! I would be interested, sir...in your talks with others at Court and elsewhere...what other news do you have to share? I would enjoy to hear of your opinion on events."

David nods "Recently, I have started helping Priscus Connor with his investigation of the Drug Red. More as a consultant than actual investigator, as my skills do not lie in the day to day detective work that he has. So far the investigations are yielding positive leads, and we are investigating those."

This gets her full attention as much as anything has tonight. A smile, "What have you learned so far, please, sir?"

"Sadly, not as much as I would have hoped. Quite a bit of the information I learned was in a foreign language I was no familiar with. I'm sure the Priscus knows more than I. They do seem to be using some sort of underground to use for something, as well as a trailer park."

"Do you have a sample of the language, sir? I do not claim to be an expert, but I might be able to help." she offers a happy, attentive smile. The love of a good mystery is hard to conceal in her. She releases a hand from under a slim thigh and plays with one of her twin tails.

"I believe it to be one of the Romance languages. Apart from that, I do not have a sample with me. Thank you though for the help, and if we need it, may I refer Priscus Connor to you?"

Martha nods, clearly frustrated at the delay she will experience in getting to the mystery language. "I see! Well, of course, please direct the Priscus to me! I would be disappointed if he did not seek me out on this matter! Afterall, it seems our security may be in danger...a mystery drug, indeed! Like the drug and plants cultivated at the campus when the Brood were threatening last year, sir?"

"I am unfamiliar with that, though plants and drugs can provide quite powerful combinations. I am glad to hear that such an operation was stopped before too much damage was done."

"Yes, indeed it was, sir! There was an assault upon the old asylum...an attack against a Brood stronghold in the tunnels...elements of their allies had smaller strongholds throughout the city! Cultivating their drug...growing and harvesting their plants. Nurturing their wicked plans! I hope we can all work together to help quash whatever might be threatening our collective peace, stability and prosperity now!" a smile, wide eyed. A twin tail is twirled more.

David's eyes track over to her tails, and he smiles appreciatively. "Well done then. Sadly, Herald Villiers, it is time for me to depart, although I have greatly enjoyed our conversation."

She smiles, nodding sadly. "So soon, sir? I enjoyed our talk very much! Thank you again for all your help, sir! I do hope I can talk with you again! I am working upon a project you might find interesting...and will talk upon it with you when next we meet in private! Please do not let me forget!" a happy smile. She struggles to stand, making great use of her cane...getting ready to curtsy. She is paused by his gesture in her effort to dip a respectful curtsy to David.

David gets up quickly, and places a hand down, "Oh, please, don't get up for me, Herald. It was a pleasure speaking with you." He gives her a bow appropriate to her station before leaving her alone to her busy thoughts.