Ricardo marveled at the public infrastructure in this country. Not only could he take a bus that had an artificially low fare, but he could go to a location that freely lent out books in other languages. As Central Library was the largest one around, Ricardo figured it would have a good selection of Spanish books.

On his way into the library he noted a small group of smokers nearby. His Beast growls, and he considers stopping for a quick bite. However, he steels himself and passed it up. The library would not be open much longer. Once inside, he asks the nearest librarian directions to the Spanish section. A quick point of a finger sends him on his way again. As he walks, he sees who he thinks could be a familiar face in his peripheral vision. As he turns to make sure it was Martha, he has to admit to himself that he was actually hoping to run into her. He walks over to her slowly.

"Good evening, madam." When she turns to look at him, he smiles. Both because he recognizes her and because he is glad to see her.

Martha smiled quickly and sincerely as she recognizes Ricardo. Wide eyed in her happy greeting. Her English accent bright and cheery. Scented with lavender, the small creature is dressed in a modest school uniform. Her straw boater hat perched on her head, a brown and sturdy satchel at her side. Her hair is tied into long and neat twin tails. Both her white blouse, red neck tie and black blazer are crisp. Her black gymslip is long and hemmed to mid calf and dainty white socks, probably kneesocks, peek out of the bottom to sensible shoes. Tucked under one arm are copies of the Journal of Military History, Defence Studies and the Diplomatic History: The Journal of the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. She carries no cane tonight. "Ah!" she begins, "Good evening, senor! Hola! Buenas noches! Como estas?" she tries out and offers a respectful nod of the head. Her twin tails bob.

Ricardo sears at the book on American Foreign Relations. He does not let that distract him from the fact that she began to speak to him in Spanish. He replies in well articulated and slow Spanish to make sure she understands. "Muy bien, senora. ?Y usted? ?Me puede tutear?" (Translation: Very good, madam. And you? Am I allowed to speak to you in a more familiar way?) Changing to English, he continues "Your pronunciation is coming along nicely. If you are not too busy, would now be a good time for a more relaxed chat?" He indicated that he could leave if it was not.

Tiny Martha nods, twin tails bobbing again. She notes again his impressive physical presence. Her eyes take in his shoulder width...his hands and their motion...his eyes. Eager, alert and happy though, she listens. "Thank you, senor! Yes, please, senor! I am never too busy to talk to a gentleman! A relaxed conversation upon a topic and theme of your chosing would, I have no doubt, be most fascinating!"

Uncertain if he means to talk of Kindred affairs or other matters, she looks about for a quieter part of the library. Adjusting the books under her arm to prepare her balance for motion, she smiles to Ricardo. Martha might think she has chosen well for a quiet zone, but she's also happy for Ricardo to take a lead.

Ricardo smiles widely. It is obvious that Martha said something that he really liked. (OOC tutear implies that he could use her first name.) "Why thank you, Martha. I was thinking that we could talk about the religions of the Kindred and Kine in Mexico." Ricardo looks around and then continues: "I was on my way to the Spanish section, would you like to join me?" He waits to see if she gets up and how she moves without her cane.

Martha is clearly won over by the idea immediately. "I would like to join you very much, thank you, senor! Please do lead the way!" She smiles and her twin tails bob once more. As Ricardo studies the dainty creature and her motion, he will probably note the following: that Martha hesitates to stand, then struggles to stand. Her left leg appears stiff from the hip. Her left knee and ankle joints are also stiff and seem stuck in a single position. Only once stood and moving does her knee begin to even partially work. Pouting to herself, she gets upright soon enough, but it isn't a graceful action. Once upright Martha uses her free non-book carrying hand to support and will grip hard at her lame thigh as she limps along to give this support. It takes a brief moment for her to gather her posture and cool. Brushing at her twin tails with a free hand before smiling cheerily to Ricardo. She is clearly trying to hide her limp, but probably realises the effort is a useless one. "I hope you are settling in to the city, senor!" in this, she seems sincere.

As Martha tries to get up, Ricardo does notice the problems she is having. He shifts a little uneasily from one foot to the other. Rather than bring up her problems or stare obviously, he looks around for a distraction. He sees one on the wall nearby. It is a poster encouraging parents to bring their children to a library picnic to get them exited about reading. "It's like all the things we can't do anymore warped into one." He says indicating the poster. "Sunlight, children and food." He then turns and forms a triangle with his right arm, in case she wants to hold on to it as they walk. If she takes his arm or follows him he leads her to the Spanish section and makes small talk about the city and the city's bus system along the way.

Tiny Martha smiles at the offer of the arm and nods meekly at the observation on a mortal life. Martha nods respectfully at the offer and takes the offered arm with great gentility. "Thank you, senor! Muchas gracias, senor!" Her crippled leg drags hard.

The small talk, she finds fascinating and joins in with talk about buses with great eagerness. She has clearly studied the local transport system in some detail. Happy to engage in small talk for a while longer, Martha also raises the matter of the many and various art festivals the city lays on for the local citizens. She seems very content to allow Ricardo to lead her in both direction and conversation for the moment. Her eyes are alert to shadows and reflections, but focus on Ricardo as they converse.

Ricardo is glad to talk about the bus system for a while. He likes the buses, even if many mortals (and probably Kindred) look down on using them. He is intrigued that Martha actually studied the system. He makes a note to ask about her diverse interests later. When she brings up the arts festivals he asks her "Do you miss it?" Obviously referring to mortal life. "There were so many things I wanted to do but never got to do. Now I can't do the because I feel dead." He said 'feel' instead of 'am,' not to spook the Kine.

When they get to the Spanish section, Ricardo finds a study room with a couple of chairs and offers one to Martha. He then politely excuses himself to look for a book with a map of Mexico and Texas. "Es interesante, but to understand Mexican history and culture, one must first understand geography and climate." He points to places in Texas and northern Mexico. "Droughts forced many tribes of natives to abandon their farms and move south. These tribes became militant and attacked other tribes who's crops were growing. The Mexica are one of many such tribes. The main difference was they were one of the most brutal and were able to gain and hold on to more power." He looked at her to see if she had any questions or wanted him to continue.

Martha did seem to enjoy talking about the city, the buses and the infrastructure. It also appeared a genuine interest they had in common. To his earlier question, she replies; "I do miss it, senor...I miss a great many things." Her tone a little sad. She quickly adds, before her mood turns glum; "Though I always seek to look for a positive approach to what remains." a shy smile as she struggled with the chair, but sat carefully. Her stiff leg is eased under the table. Resting her own books and journals aside; from her satchel, she produced a student notebook and a cheap looking ballpoint pen. She smiles as she takes the cap off the pen and sets to work to begin to make notes.

Martha had promised Ricardo she would be attentive and there was no doubting the enthusiasm she approached this. Her school uniform was probably not just some eccentric affectation. Martha looked over the map and nodded as Ricardo began his talk. Smiling to encourage, nodding to show she understood, she let Ricardo talk...but she is annotating her notes with a lot of questions in the margins...quite literally! Her annotations include: Maize? Other crops? Which areas then were suitable for maize growing? Which tribes held what advantages over whom? How were they led? How were leaders assigned? How large were these tribes? Did agriculture always feature so prominently? What about fishing? Why did the droughts persist? The mountains deepened the drought? The Aztecs were known for their brutality and opposed by local kin...why did the Aztec's adopt such a ruthless approach when others did not? Was this a religious decision, or was there some other sociological internal or external factor? Her handwriting is neat and careful. Her notes also begin to include a rough sketch copy of the map they are taking over. She seemed to nod often to encourage Ricardo to continue rather than interrupt with questions that might derail his thinking.

Since Martha seems genuinely interested, Ricardo continues. "The Mexica were unique in just how bloodthirsty they were. Most advanced tribes of this region practiced some sort of human sacrifice as part of warfare or religion. Unlike Europeans, they did not kill on the battle field. Instead they took prisoners who might be ransomed back or sacrificed. The Mexica however, believed that their Gods wanted more sacrifices. This belief caused them to go to war more often and allowed them to maintain a more militant culture. Eventually, the Mexica became on of the three most powerful tribes in the region. The three tribes got together and decided that they would rather fight everyone else than continue to fight each other. That alliance was the birth of the Aztec Empire."

"The native clans of Kindred have all sorts of myths about this time. The Daeva ever go so far as to claim that they were the Gods of the Mexica demanding blood sacrifices." He paused for a moment and took watched her write. "You seem busy writing. Do you have any questions so far? You wouldn't happen to be a Daeva would you?" He had intended not to ask about her Clan, but he wanted to make sure he had not already offended her.

Rather than be offended, she seemed almost amused at the question, her voice a whisper and jolly. Hoping her words do not carry far. "No, senor...I am not a Daeva. If I were, I would hope I should stop short of such hubris as to claim that! Though I can see how it could beguile as a conspiracy to enter into to fulfil one's desires and needs!" A happy giggle as she makes a note as the matter came up: Sun worship and blood sacrifice. A strange mix. Pyramids. Temples. Captives: how many captives made it to the execution altars? How many fell to other dangers before the appointed time?

"I have a great many questions, senor...but, I was not certain whether I should ask them as we went along, or when you invited them." she is humble and sincere. Watching Ricardo carefully. His hands, his eyes.

Currently, Ricardo eyes look calm and understanding. While he was talking about the Mexica, they looked different. Maybe sad, or angry or a bit of both. He was leading forward in his chair, so that he could point to the general locations of the tribes on the map. When she spoke to him, he turned his head up but did not move back. He seemed to un-tense a little when she replied that she was not a Daeva, and even more when what she said distanced herself from their claims. Ricardo though that he could cover the other Clans' legends and beliefs without offending her. "You can ask questions any time. I don't know how much of this you already know or if some or all of it doesn't make sense. We grew up in different cultures and different domains. I don't know what you know." Feeling a little impulsive, he decided it would be a good time to ask her a personal question. "If I may be so bold, what do you believe about the genesis of our kind? The beliefs of those who were here before the colonization shape the actions of Mexican Kindred tonight."

Martha watched the map and Ricardo carefully. Noting his eyes on the map, she resisted a sudden urge to try to offer some comfort. Would the gesture be rejected? She could hardly guess. Her eyes might well show sympathy. Tiny Martha leaned back in her chair to think more and allow a free hand to rub at her stiff thigh. Giving his question some thought she could only conclude: "I had hoped we might work together, senor, to perhaps unravel an answer to that very question! I regret, senor, that for all I have studied the matter, I am no nearer to assessing a conclusion about our origins. There is too much poetic fable...fables not demolished enough thanks to the conflicting accounts from the few surviving records. Too much mythology was badly reported by the priests. Excellent reporting was suppressed...or lost to time and private archives. In short: too few facts. I am also limited by what I have read, senor, and what I can comprehend. However, amongst the myths, ceremonial and cosmological trappings and in amongst the various fantasies that abound, there will be facts to be found. Like many, I seek those answers." she offers a humble smile. Clearly pleased she had the chance to show a willingness to co-operate with Ricardo. "I am interested, however, senor, in the Aztec notion of the Sun gaining nourishment from blood. One cannot but be impressed by the agenda this cosmological notion alludes too. The interconnection of agriculture, solar worship and human sacrifice is...whilst gruesome...also fascinating...and probably vital as, I suspect, it provides, if also conceals, some answers to these origins. The various solar and lunar calender epochs...the worship of maize and rain-dragons...the notion of the fire serpents...all is truly fascinating! Therein may well be clues to origins...clues to...well, shall we say: a great many elements of knowledge, both natural...maybe even preternatural!" she is eager to talk about this, but is careful to keep her voice a whisper. The tiny creature rubs hard at her thigh again, she hesitates, turning a dainty finger to trace a path on the map...tracing silently the voyage of Coronado, if Ricardo notes the trail she outlines and has an eye for the historical route as she continues. The line is traced as she says; "But, senor...you are, of course, correct. The way we act tonight is very much a product of what went before us. We are at a disadvantage to advance to the Future, if we neglect the knowledge and matters which were of chief importance to our forefathers." she gently taps the map with the slender finger, nods humbly....twin tails bob meekly.

Ricardo leans back as well, putting a hand on his chin. "I asked what you believed, not what evidence supports. The so called 'myths' of the natives may seem strange to those who do not look at them in perspective. The Impaler and the Centurion both claim to have been cursed by the Christian God. Is it so strange that the Daughter of Conquest and the first members of the lost Childer of Xolotl of the claim the same?" He let that sink in for a while. "Why would Kindred and Kine come up with similar myths, if they were so far apart and had little to no contact? Why do so many cultures have a great flood story? Could it be that there is some truth to the myths?" He pauses again and moves his hands to his lap. "It is indeed a problem that so much history and lore has been lost. Without the facts and observations of those who came before us it may be impossible to discover the truth. "

When Martha calls human sacrifice gruesome, Ricardo cringes a little. Part of him wants to confess his participation to her. It might make him feel better about his actions. However, he can't bring himself to do it. "How can you say that considering how many Kindred dine?" Despite trying to control himself, he seems a little on edge. "If the Kine knew that the earthy representatives of their Gods, our kind, needed blood. It was not so much of a stretch for them to think that the Gods needed blood as well. The things you mentioned: essential crops, the Sun and other heavenly bodies, were they worshiped by the Kine of Europe as well?"

As she traces the expedition of Coronado, Ricardo leans closer to the map. 'There were and still are may legends about what lies in the mysterious North. That was one of the reasons I came here. I wanted to see for myself. So far it is rather nice." He looks back at her as he says the last sentence, and is smiling once more.

Martha rubbed at her knee as Ricardo laid out his case and points. Nodding in humble agreement she kept mostly silent, wide eyed and shrinking from talking whilst he spoke. Instead, Martha smiles as Ricardo identifies his interest in Coronado too, nodding eagerly. Her twin tails bob more. "I am glad we share the same interest in origins and Coronado, senor! Perhaps, senor, we can work together to learn what mysteries are to be revealed?"

Ricardo was proving a knowledgable man. Her smile showed enthusiastic respect, her nod did too.

Coronado, that name sounded really familiar, but Ricardo couldn't place him. As he stole a glance at the tiles of some of the Spanish books, the Lord made a mental note to look him up in one of the many Mexican history books in this library. He was not going to admit that he didn't know remember what that historical figure did. After getting this far, he didn't want to seem like a rústico (country person or hillbilly). "I believe myth, legend, history and fact blend into each other." He said interlacing his fingers to make the point. Next, Ricardo was about to say the part he found most interesting (and was proudest for remembering) : "All the historical facts I told you about the Kine are part of the history that contributed to the founding myths of Mexico. I also wonder if we could not find the truth the same way as mortal historians." Ricardo looked back at Martha. He took stock of her expressions and movements.

Ricardo continues, genuinely curious "You never did answer when I asked what you believe. You only told me that the truth might be accessible. Do you lean toward some explanations? Are there any European or American legends that you see our hands in?" Ricardo didn't like admitting his ignorance, but if he was going to learn he was going to have to ask some direct questions. Another question burned in his mind. As his sire was Sanctified, he knew plenty about the Centurion. However, he had only heard of the Impaler as making the same claims to personal damnation as the Dark Prophet. Before he could stop himself, he continued his questions with "And what do you know about the Impaler?"

"The interlocking of myth and history is one which fascinates me too, senor! To draw comparison with Dr Schliemann's excavations of Troy...there fact and legend overlapped! Certainly there are enormous technical faults with his work, but the fact remains he did uncover a fortified settlement." an excited smile, "So, with that in mind, I cannot fully reject your assertion...rather, it invites the curious to investigate the matter more closely! That history so often coincides with legend is no surprise. Though I would hesitate to offer the visitations of travelling beings from other worlds as adequate solution to every historical enigma!" Martha's expressions are those of sincere interest...seeming to treat Ricardo as someone to pay attention to and respect; an alertness to her surroundings as the conversation turns to vampiric matters and a happy smile when she nods. One hand is sometimes busy writing notes, the other tends to rub at her stiff knee. The direct questions about the Impaler make her pause and look around even more. Timidly she offers a guarded reply; "Those questions, senor, are ones I think we can explore with greater profit in another, more private, scholastic tutorial." her smile and theatrically cautious glance about her, she hopes, playfully suggests she is open to the questioning, but is cautious about replying just at the moment. She writes carefully, showing the written note to Ricardo with care: "Are you interested, senor, in exploring an interest in the Impaler in more detail and with dedication?" she smiles as she turns the paper for Ricardo to read.

As she started Ricardo was feeling good. He had mad a good impression by recounting Mexican history and lore. He nodded his head humbly as she agreed with the points he had brought up. He was a little confused about the "visitations of traveling beings from other worlds." Did she mean Gods or something else? He didn't think he said the Gods were from other worlds.

Poor Ricardo. He wasn't really ready for the turn of events the note implied. The confusion is obvious on his face and in his movements. He reads the note two more times before saying anything. First, he needed confirmation of his suspicions. "I was under the impression that you were a member of the First Estate. Is that not the case?" Was she asking him if he wanted to pledge to join the Impaler's followers? Before tonight, he was leaning to the Invictus. However, he was intrigued by the rumors he had heard about the Impaler's philosophy, and the mysterious powers attributed to his followers.

It was Martha's turn to be baffled. She smiles happily as she carefully shakes her head, gently tapping the handwritten note again as if to provide a clue. "I am flattered by that thought, senor, to be mistaken for a member thereof, but I am not."

She rubs harder at her leg, leaning closer to encourage a mood of happy secrecy.

After listening to her reply and reading the note again, Ricardo was sure that she was a member of the Ordo Dracul. He had to be careful in how he replied. He leaned in closer as well. "I would appreciate the opportunity to hear more about your, and his, philosophies. However, at this point, I don't know enough to commit myself with the dedication you are asking." Yet again, Ricardo was glad that he didn't sweat. This was probably one of those times that he would have been sweating. He was wondering to himself if it so wrong to want to know what he would be getting into for eternity?

Martha smiled a smile that she hoped was reassuring. "I understand, senor! No instant committment is demanded at this stage! Goodness knows, such a demand would be the hallmark of a confidence trickster!" a happy giggle. "Rather, I shall be happy to help introduce you to those who can help articulate the details and answer your questions with the correct authority and knowledge to do so." another smile.

The smile was indeed reassuring to Ricardo. He would be able to hear the truth about the Ordo Dracul's philosophy. A smiled appeared on his face as well. "I am glad you understand and look forward to being able to ask some questions." Since they were leaning close to each other and smiling, Ricardo thought it might be a good time be bring up another delicate subject. "In public, should I continue to use the formal means of address Martha?"

Martha nods happily. "Of course, senor! It is good we can be friendly that way! It is rather familiar, but not unpleasantly so, senor!" her smile is genuie, a little bashful. She writes quickly though, gently bringing Ricardo's attention to her annotation. "However, it is a good question. The Leader rightly requires that we all adopt more formal forms of address and behaviour at Court. As a point of helpful advice, he prefers to invite people to approach him rather than rely upon people to advance upon him without invite."

"To be honest, I was a little surprised when you agreed to it in the first place." Ricardo confesses. After reading her notes he says conversationally, "I did see both of those in the rules, and know just how formal my family can be at times. I will do my best not to make any errors of decorum, and if I do, not to allow anyone else to be associated with my mistakes."

All this seemed very positive. Another smile. "Splendid!" she sits back in her chair and, after a few moments, turns her attention back to the map to eagerly re-engage Ricardo in conversation about Aztec ceremonies.