Ariana had encountered into Ciara right after the masks at the ball came off at the political function. They decided they should have a little conversation over some family business the following Monday in Ariana's office. This way they could speak freely and not worry about a possible masquerade breach, and no one would have to read between the lines.

With the office door open, Ariana sat working on articles for the Bee at her desk knowing that her fellow Lordess would be on time.

*Ciara makes her way to the Harpy's office; keeping things informal with a pair of sneakers, jeans, and loose shirt. There were few that would say the Prefect was a model Ventrue, so why stick to convention while talking about family matters?

She knocks softly on the open door, popping her head in with a smile.* Am I interrupting, Madam Harpy?

Ariana raised her head at the sound of the knock. Ciara was right on time, just as she thought. "Not at all. By all means, do come in Miss Maskelyne." She smiled to her fellow Lordess. "I hope this evening is treating you well." She smiled softly.

"Perhaps one of these evenings we should have a night on the town. Although tonight we have a small matter of business to attend. Please have a seat if you will." Ariana gestured to the small sofa in her office, to which she also moved to sit.

*The female Carthian steps into the office, taking a seat at the other end of the couch. She sets upright, resisting the urge to take a more relaxed pose. No matter how inviting the Harpy might seem, Ciara knew better then to let her guard down around family.*

Perhaps we shall. I would be interested to see how well you hold your own. *The smile perks up just a little, weather it was a challenge or an invitation wasn't clear by the calm mask of the European Ventrue.* How may I be of service?

Ariana sat properly, but not in a defensive manner. "Thank you for coming. I am sure you are aware we are without a leader among our Lords since Lady Stamford has taken leave." Ariana stated, she did not know Victoria well but it was still a loss nonetheless. "What are your thoughts on what we should do with the vacated Priscus position?" She asked with inquiry on Ciara's opinion.

*Ciara's smile fades, the female Kindred forcing herself to focus on the lack of a clan leader rather than Stamford's absence. It wouldn't be very polite break out in maniacal laughter in the Harpy's office, after all. She's quiet for a few moments, thinking over the short list of Ventrue still within the city.* Well.. the obvious choice would be His Majesty; but I'm sure he has more then enough on his plate to keep him busy without the added stress of Priscus.

The only other candidate that I can think of that has the necessary tenure and respect within the city would be you, Madam Harpy...
*Ciara keeps her face even as she makes the observation; it was an honest assessment and not an attempt to flatter the other woman.*

"I agree about Alder Prince Clarke. When I suggested we have a clan meeting not long ago, he said he would not attend." Ariana wondered for a moment what the Prince may be busy doing. He had been scarce as of late, yet she was respectful of privacy, Harpy or not.

"I would be happy to do this Miss Maskelyne. On one condition." Ariana smiled with a wink. "That you would take the position of Ventrue Whip, if that would suit you." She said in a curious tone.

*Ciara nods at Ariana's assessment of the situation; glad the two were in agreement. She's also glad the Harpy seemed inclined to take over as Priscus, lord knows Ciara didn't need that little headache. But the request takes Ciara by surprise, the female Kindred looking down to pick an imaginary spec of lint from her jeans.* If I didn't know better, I would think you were having a little jest at my expense, Madam Harpy...

Ariana looked a little shocked. "What? Oh no Miss Maskelyne. I do not like making jokes at the expense of others. If there was another term for second in command, I would use it." She did wonder why she assumed she was having a go at her. "What would you prefer the position be called? I am flexible." She smiled in curiosity. Ariana never did like the term whip, but it seemed to be the going thing around the Domain. "Maybe we could start a new trend."

*Ciara looks back up, blinking twice with a very confused look on her face.* What? No, I... *The female Kindred closes her eyes, taking a few moments to compose herself. If she were still alive, there would have been an accompanying deep breath and long exhale.*

I didn't mean the title of the position; I meant the position itself...

I am sure you are aware I hold political views and affiliations that are... uncommon, for our family. I doubt I would have the influence necessary to keep everyone in line.
*Ciara has a little trouble keeping the edges of her mouth from turning up in amusement; how odd that a Ventrue would have issue with a title as martial as "Whip"; as well as the comedy of the misunderstanding that helps to lighten Ciara's mood.*

Ariana laughed a little. "Ah, I see your point." She shook her head. "I think you have a little more influence than you think Miss Maskelyne. But the purpose of that position is to keep the Priscus in check." Her head titled softly to the side. "It is entirely your decision though." She was not embarrassed, everyone had differences of opinion, and she found Ciara's quite witty.

*Ciara is quiet for a long while, mulling over the options presented to her. Finally she has to shake her head "no", giving the Harpy a slightly apologetic smile.* I'm sorry, Harpy Donovan; but I can't. I just don't think I'd have the time or abilities the position requires...

*The smile perks up a little, Ciara trying to soften the blow of turning down the woman's offer.* I doubt you'll have any problem filling the position though. If there is anything our family has to spare it is ambition...

Ariana nodded. "That is quite alright. I do think you sell yourself short." She smiled to the other Lordess. "I am sure you are correct, finding someone in time will not be a problem." Ciara was right, their clan was definitely ambitious.

Turning her head in slight curiosity she looked at Ciara. "If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know Miss Maskelyne. The last time we spoke, you mentioned your modeling business. Is that going well?"

*Ciara nods at the question, relaxing a little as the conversation turned to something she was more comfortable with.* It is, thank you for asking. In fact... *The female Ventrue grows quiet for a few moments, reminding herself to repress the sigh she felt welling up.* I will be returning to England to focus on managing it.

When I left the city a short while ago, I managed to make a few connections that have payed rather nice dividends. A few promising new designers, some invitations to place models at shows in London, Paris... Unfortunately, all things that would be easier to manage from Europe then here in the states...

Ariana's brow furrowed for a moment and then she looked at Ciara. "I will be sad to see you go. Although I do know what it is like to move on and explore other opportunities." Her finger pressed to her lips for a moment as she thought about the fact of moving. "Is there anything you would like me to do in lieu of your departure? Affairs to tend to or that sort of thing?" She said to her fellow Lordess sincerely.

*A playful smile creeps across Ciara's lips; she could think of a few "affairs" that would need to be handled, but she would do that herself. Besides, she didn't think Asa or Twist were the type for long goodbyes. Instead, she shakes her head "no".* Thank you, Harpy Donovan; but there aren't many loose ends to tie up. The only thing I would ask is to inform anyone that comes looking for me of my departure. *She doubted anyone would, but if anything it was certainly a job for the Harpy.*

Ariana nodded. "Yes, I will do as such. I wish you the best of luck Miss Maskelyne. I hope that Europe brings you all the happiness you wish." She gave Ciara a bittersweet smile. Inside, Ariana was unhappy to lose another longtime member of the Domain, not to mention, another Lord.

Thank you, Harpy Donovan. Though, I find I make my own luck... *A playful wink, then Ciara grows quiet for a moment.* I don't know if it will bring my happiness, but I think there are answers there I have been avoiding for too long...

*She returns the bittersweet smile, the thin Ventrue rising to her feet.* I won't take up any more of your time, I'm sure you're a busy woman. But, if you're even in London, feel free to contact me. I'm sure my Brother would love to meet you...

Ariana also rose to her feet with Ciara. "Nonsense, I always have time for a fellow Lordess." Smiling to Ciara. "Thank you for the invitation, I may need to do some traveling one of these days. A brother you say?" Ariana laughed softly. "Surely he must be as splendid as you." She winked.

*The last bit draws a long laugh from Ciara, the Ventrue shaking her head softly; causing her long hair to fall around her face. She quickly recovers, brushing the stray strands of dark black hair back into place.* Well, he certainly thinks so... *There's a slight sparkle in Ciara's eyes as she speaks, perhaps hinting at something better left unsaid.* Perhaps I shouldn't; it might be safer for you that way...

Ariana slightly shook her head as if waiting for Ciara to finish her thought. Slightly leaning forward as if wondering what she was going to say. "Should not... what Miss Maskelyne?" Asking curiously.

*Ciara raises a playful eyebrow at Ariana's question.* Introduce you to my Brother, that is. He's as much a connoisseur of beautiful women as Asa is. You might not wish to return to Sacramento; and then what would the city do without you?

"Well, I am sure that would be a rather interesting visit." Ariana laughed. The Prince defined as a connoisseur was also rather amusing. "I do suppose you are right. We would not want to leave Sacramento without yet another Lord in the Domain." Smiling to Ciara. "I am sure I will find a way to entertain myself despite your brother being in London."

Hmm.. *Was all Ciara responded with, a knowing grin spreading across her lips.* It is an interesting city. I've found myself missing it more and more of late; though I'm sure I'll feel the same about Sacramento once I leave.

*A small bow to the Harpy, and Ciara makes her way to the door.* Have a pleasant evening, Harpy Donovan. And do take care of yourself...

"Thank you Miss Maskelyne, please do the same." Ariana smiled and met her by the door. She did not normally touch people, but to her gentle fellow Lordess, she reached out and gave her a warm embrace. "Safe travels to you. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to call."

*The hug takes Ciara by surprise, the Prefect not sure how to react for a few moments, other then to return the embrace. After a few moments hesitation, the uneasy smile turns into a playful one; Ciara leaning her head so that her forehead rested against Ariana's. The formal tone of voice gives way to one that was softer, and perhaps just a bit more inviting.* You know, I do have some free time tonight. If you aren't too busy, that is...

Ariana smiled at Ciara's possible of something more. "Perhaps when I see you again, I may be a little more free spirited." She winked. "But until then..." Ariana leaned in closer and softly kissed Ciara's lips for a moment then spoke again. "I believe that is how they properly say goodbye in Europe. So I have been told." She softly laughed.

*Ciara laughs after the kiss, shaking her head softly.* Usually, we just give you a hug and tell you you're buying the first round at the pub the next time we meet. Either whoever told you this wasn't from England; or they were just hunting for a kiss.. *Ciara smiles softly at the joke, letting her arms slip from Ariana as she opens the door.*

Do take care of yourself Mi... Ariana. There is so much in London I'd like to show you...
*A soft caress of the other woman's cheek before parting, and the thin Ventrue makes her way out the door.*