Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
New Kids on the block

R
    Rapscallion

Kennedy left the Apona in the car while making his way to the coffee shop. Smiling and humming a rhythm-less tune many thoughts crossed his minds eye. He remembered when he was green, freshly awakened to the truths of reality. Yet the smile faded into seriousness when he remembered the other things, the things that many of kin would open and haunt the recesses of his dreams. Apona needs to know what he is getting him self into... He frowned, pushing that thought into the back of his mind for the moment. He was gone for five minutes until he got back to the BMW, with two cups of coffee. "Here kid it will take the edge off." He told the new mage handing him the cup while entering the drivers seat once again. "How is the head-ache? I remember one time a biker rapped me on the head with a two by four, needless to say I was grumpy for a bit after that." He said with his normal smile, sipping the bitter brew. "So where was I kid? Oh yeah, that experience you had tell me about it." Kennedy said while checking his cellphone waiting a message from his brother. They were due to make their presence known to this local Consillium, that and register a Sanctum.

"Not many humans are granted the gift of peeking into the supernal for a few moments, despite earning that black eye I bet the sight you gained was indeed worth it. I had more of an odd sorts of events when I went through my awakening, that I will get into another time. Why we are going on this drive is because I need to report my presence along with yours to the Consillium. I am still new to this city and it is common courtesy for others like us to know who to look after. Oh how rambley of me, the Consillium is our governing body, they serve as a larger government to keep people like us in check. Sorry for being vague but when we are in less of a time crunch I will extrapolate further." He said while putting his key within the ignition and starting the engine. Before he pulled out he handed his cellphone to Apona.

"If you get a text from Nixon let me know, we are going to meet up with him at the Consillium. Hopefully it did not move again within that gap between our relocation. Besides I hate it when people text in drive, I have glimpsed into the realm of fate, I know the probabilities of disasters that stem from stupidity."

O
    OpenMind

Apona took the coffee gratefully. It did help. His vision became a little less blurry and the thundering drum beats in his head softened ever so slightly. He laughed despite himself at the 2x4 comment.

"Well that guy's leg certainly FELT like a 2x4..."

A deep sigh escaped his lips. He had assumed that because his father was a great martial artist, he would have no problem winning a local tournament. Being knocked out in the first round made him realize he should probably train a little more next time. Of course, at the time, he thought he had actually won.

"...What? Oh, you mean the drea- er... awakening?"

Perched in his lap, Archimedes the owl turned his yellow eyes to his master and almost smiled. "Now that you have a firm grasp of the obvious, why don't you stop asking silly questions?" Though they were sharp, there was a warmness layered in his words. "Well... why don't you stop... umm... being an OWL!? Yeah! 'HOO' the hell do you think you are??"
    "Oh, we have a poet in our midst." the owl replies dryly, turning his gaze back to the road.

Flustered, Apona Ao turns back towards Kennedy. "ANYWAY... yeah, i was in a coliseum. I was wearing a flowing gown and there were gods and men together cheering my name. The glorious trophy was in my sight, it's golden light calling me to it. Filled with a sensation of power, I felled my opponent and fulfilled my 'destiny'. It felt... So real... Even now, it doesn't feel like a dream as much as a pleasant memory..." Apona ran his hands through his hair thoughtfully. "Is that normal?"

R
    Rapscallion

Kennedy smirks at the exchange until finally he speaks again. "Naww man that is not normal, you are crazy. But it is all good because I am a bit crazy my self." He said while falling silent, letting the young apprentice ponder amongst his thoughts.

"Just kidding kid, it is normal, though you are a bit different then the average sleeper. Quiz answer kid, a sleeper is what we call normal humans. Sleepers have that term because they are blissfully unaware what the truth really is. As far as that epic of a dream, I would assume you are of the path of Obrimos. Greek for Strength you walk the path of power, and are a fully functioning paradox machine." Kennedy said dryly while taking a sip of the coffee with his free hand.

"Later when we get a safer area we will assess where your natural affinity for Arcanum lies." Suddenly jerking on the breaks he stopped the car a mere few inches from rear ending another. Cursing silently the man in front of him honked and flipped Kennedy off. Taking in a deep breath he continued driving down the street while looking towards the Apprentice Wizard.

"But before I teach you magic, you need to know a few things regarding your new responsibilities. You saw that Spider Man movie a few years back right? With the catch-line with great power comes great responsibilities? Well we gotta approach it like that, there is already thousands of Mages out there who treat their magic like a candy-shop. Tasting the power before they realize that the store security will soon come out of nowhere and tackle them faster then a fat kid tackles a cake." He said with a straight face while taking another sip of his coffee turning down another street while finally speaking again.

" What I'm getting at is Mages are capable of many great things. But the moment you draw to much power or attention your magic will bite you in the ass faster then a politician breaks a promise."

O
    OpenMind

His head began swirling. This was all so much info. Archimedes smirked a little, "Did you catch all that?" Flustered, Apona quickly quipped, "Yes!!" "Oh, well thanks for joining us." was the familiar's reply.

"Okay... So what's an Obrimos? Are there other paths? Are you an Obrimos too?" Question after question popped into his head, he only managed to hold back so many. "Paradox machine? Is that good?" At this last question, Archimedes cackled maniacally. "It's good for a laugh for anyone lucky enough to witness it!"

R
    Rapscallion

With that the car swerved as Kennedy pulled into a parking lot. After doing a sloppy parking job he turned to the young Mage, his eyes sparkled with a hint of lively-ness. "It is a good thing, that is if you want to bring a demon into this world, or end up splattered on the concrete. Paradox is the greatest bane and threat to awakened society, the more it happens the worse off the world get's. Most mages think they are gods only to fly too close to the sun and find that their wings were just merely crafted from wax." His tone remained serious while slowly unbuckling his seat belt, he proceeded to get out of the car beckoning for Apona to follow him.

"Lesson one, stand on the very edge of this curb, like I am right now." Kennedy said, balancing on the edge with his heals, swaying forward and back trying to keep the balance perfect. "Like this, struggle to keep your balance. This is constantly where we stand, blessed with great might but with one small push we fall. When we fall we break like any other human, many people like us learn this too late. Like gravity, Paradox is a bitch." He said while walking back towards the car his hands shoved into his coat pockets. Kennedy sat back in the drivers seat and waited for the apprentice to take his place on shotgun.

"So to answer your first question, a Paradox machine is bad but when I am done you will learn to overcome such limitations. It just takes a fast moving brain and an equal amount of moxy. Now for your second question I am in fact not an Obrimos I am what people call an Acanthas. You see, you draw your power from the realm of might and power, while mine stems from the realm of Possibility and Time. They call my kind the Acanthas. Over all, there are five paths that exist each with a different affinity, my brother draws his from the realm of the dead he walks the path of the Moros." Kenned said while putting his key back into the ignition waiting for a few moments until eventually pulling out.

"The other two that exist are the Mastigos, who get power from the realm of madness and then finally the Thrysus who gain power from the realm of the primal wild. Not all mages can throw fire, fortunately for you if my guess is right about your path you will be one of them." He said with a bright smile, turning his head to face the young Mage briefly. "It is your first day so mistakes happen, the best you can do is learn from them. Our society is more lenient on apprentices so be sure to cash out your mistakes soon before you run out."

O
    OpenMind

"What are these paths? Why are they so important?" Apona asked, scratching his head again. After a pause while he intently listened to his mentor's answer, he looks down at archimedes and asks, "And can you please explain this owl to me again? You said he was a familiar? Wait a second... WHY CAN AN OWL TALK!?!?"

Apona has just realized he's been arguing with an owl for the better part of an hour.

R
    Rapscallion

He smiled as the apprentice asked the question, driving the car again he settled in comfortably to the seat. ”The paths are how we get our power kid, the Supernal Realm is separated into five provinces. Each has a magical resonance that imbues our soul. For instance yours is the Aether your soul has been touched by heroes and the most powerful of primal forces. Your realm gives birth to both heroes and wise sages, but a hero cannot survive long with wisdom.” Kenned said as he poked his apprentices forehead for dramatic effect.

”My path imbued my soul with the power of probability and the fae kind. You have the Aether but I have Arcadia the land of infinite possibilities. There is more to this but I will get into the history of the true world later. But think of the watch towers as a cosmic symbol where your power derives, just remember that you were chosen by champions, but do not allow hubris to cloud your judgment.” Kennedy finished until he looked at the Owl beginning to answer the second question.

”That Owl is a familiar, they are still kinda mystery to me but I know people who can create them but sometimes they choose their keepers. Think of them like magical companions, they are attracted the brilliance of your soul and will stand by you on your adventures. From what I know they can be valuable resources, be sure to treat it right and you will have a companion for life.”

O
    OpenMind

Archimedes puffed his chest out indignantly, turning to face the older mage. "What, what??" His large round eyes seemed to grow even bigger at the insult. "Valuable resource, you say?? I guess that would make your use akin to a children's book?" The owl hopped around in Apona's lap a little, almost not sure what to do with himself. Apona Ao absentmindedly scratched the top of his head, distracting the owl from his temper tantrum.

"Okay... So then that would mean... when I signed my name, I made a kind of link to that province's magic, right? Does that mean I can only use 'primal-hero' magic? Are there only 5 different types of magic?"

As Apona listens to his mentor's answer, Kennedy's phone buzzes in his lap. "Oh... I think you got a text..."

R
    Rapscallion

He smiled at he response from the bird and kept silent for a moment.

”When you signed your name, you signed your soul even if you liked it or not. Your not stuck with the magic from that tower but you have a knack for using it. Think of it like a short cut, as far as magic there are technically ten known Arcanums that exist. You have a natural affinity to forces, and prime. Forces is standard energy such as fire, electricity, and gravity. While prime is pure magical essence if you play your cards right you might even an enchanter.”

Kennedy spoke as he heard the rumble from the phone. Turning his head to Kennedy he nodded silently as the car turned at the nearest right turn.

”Alrighty looks like we are now heading to the concillium.”

(Continuing in the next thread.)

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.