Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Beauty and the Beast

THREADID
    A
    Ariana Donovan

Sidor was rarely pleasantly surprised. His upbringing had hardened him in more ways than the average person, and part of that had stolen away his sense of optimism. He tended towards a dark view of the world. So when he had found the conversation at Court with the Harpy, of all people, had been not only pleasant but stimulating, he had experienced a sort of double shock. The conversation was a surprise, and the fact that it had been pleasant at all was also a surprise.

He was equally bemused to note that he hadn't read any particular intent in Ariana's questioning. It had been polite and interested, but he couldn't see the edge to it. In his experience, Harpies were calculating and sharp, looking for the point of access to ruin or raise a person as they saw fit.

In short, he didn't have a measure of Ariana, and that lack of understanding was appealing. When a person was a puzzle to the Russian Haunt, he was driven to find out the answer to the riddle.

Which was why he'd sent her a polite invitation. The sharp, cyrillic script echoed with his voice, as though he was actually capable of writing his personality through a pen.

Our conversation was deeply interesting. I would be honoured if we could continue it in a place where your time is less pressured. Contact me on my listed number.

Sincerely,

Sidor Rurikovitch Grigoriev

Ariana had spent some time observing in the Domain. She had noticed the Haunt seemed to have an opposing clash with a few people. Yet she had spent many years watching Kindred and Kine alike with her position at both newspapers. It was enough to know that finding common ground with someone was difficult, especially in this day and age. Her parents taught her not to judge people until they proved otherwise. One of the many things she carried with her for so many years. Natalia taught her that perseverance would through hardships would keep her above waters. Ariana did not realize it at the time she graduated, that this would hold true forever.

She had also known by now that there may be more to a hardened man than what everyone sees. Ariana had learned this from Conner. He also taught her to be cautious of trusting people. Yet at Court when Sidor approached her she was taken aback by his gratitude. She had not expected this from him. Humility was something mortals and Kindred always had difficulty in displaying. Ariana judged this as a measure of strength, not a weakness. This alone told her that the veiled faced Haunt had much more than anyone could see. Yet their conversation was intelligent and entertaining. Some men such as Sidor, talked down to her perhaps because they assumed she was a pretty power tripping Lord.

When Ariana received the note from Sidor, she was slightly surprised. Most often when people made mention of getting together later, it was something people said and rarely followed through.

She dialed the number on the note. When she heard him answer she spoke. "Hello Mr. Grigoriev. This is Miss Donovan. How is your evening finding you?" A sincere smile could be heard in her voice.

"Miss Donovan, zdravstvujtye," Sidor replied as Ariana spoke. The background was perfectly silent; he was currently within his haven, and he prefered that there be no noise. It was a mark of his level of interest in the conversation that he lapsed into his native language and didn't appear to be aware that he'd done it. "It finds me well, thank you. I trust that my proposition was not entirely unacceptable to you?" His voice was dryly humoured, hardly unfamiliar to anyone who'd encountered someone with a slavic upbringing.

A word Ariana had not heard in a very long time came through the phone. "Not at all Mr. Grigoriev I would be delighted to continue conversing." Her voice was pleasant and accepting. No question that she was having difficulties with his accent. She was accustom to many accents, she enjoyed them. "Would you like to continue in person perhaps? I am free this evening." Even if she was unable to see his facial expressions, body language was always another good indicator.

"Of course. The telephone is so impersonal, don't you think?" Sidor said, and noting the lack of difficulty, allowed his natural accent to rise in his voice. The tell-tale pauses of a man controlling his second language melted away. "Perhaps you could suggest an appropriate venue? I'm afraid with my ah... peculiarity, I have a somewhat limited social reportoire, so I'm not as familiar with all of the area as I'd like to be." Besides, it would be interesting to see where she'd pick. Her choice of venue would tell him quite a lot about what she wanted.

Ariana thought for a moment before answering, namely to recall two locations. "I will give you a couple of choices. If the Moore House or Ridge Motel have meeting rooms, we can certainly go there. Which would you prefer?" Her choices were confident in her voice. She had never been to either, but heard about them of course. She was skeptical about going there, yet after their conversation she had a feeling something dimly lit and out of the way was more suitable for him.

Sidor's mouth flickered into a very slight smile. Consideration wasn't something he expected from a Lord, so it was quite pleasant to hear it from her. He wouldn't have particularly minded some other options, although he'd have been forced to decline if it had been a brightly lit or strobing club with many kine present. Still, interesting choices. Of course, both the Ridge Motel and Moore House were Anton's, and Sidor had been there enough times. He particularly liked Moore House. The place of the Sanctified was... soothing, even if these days he felt more guilt when he was present.

"Moore House, then," he said. "I'll meet you there."

Ariana had told Sidor that Conner would drop her off as she did not know the way and he was working in the area that evening. In a blouse and slacks she waited by the front door of the Moore House. She had never been inside or in this part of the city before. She waited patiently for him to arrive.

Sidor walked, because he preferred to walk. It was peaceful, and gave him some time to think. He was dressed as he usually was; in a casual grey polo-shirt and black pants. He looked drab and quiet, and the shadows on his face were hawk-like and sharp as he walked up the path towards the front entrance. It was strange, attending without a service, but still. It was a peaceful place, in his eyes.

"Ah, good evening. I see you beat me here," he said with a little nod, his facial expression lost in the darkness. "It's a pleasant night, isn't it?"

Ariana had been constantly looking around while she waited until she saw him approach. She was not intentionally uneasy, she had never been to this part of the city. As Sidor approached she stopped looking around as much. Ariana smiled as he walked toward the doors. "And a good evening to you Mr. Grigoriev. It is a lovely night." She made a gesture to the doors. "I was unsure if it was open. Since I have not been here before, I was unsure if I should go inside."

"It may not be. It depends if his Grace has left it available for worshippers today," Sidor said lightly. "But even if it is not, the grounds are worth a walk, and I know the area well enough." It was evident that the Lancea et Sanctum in this city had been somewhat unreachable, from that one remark. A shame. It had not been that way in Sverdlovsk, but then, in his home city, the Sanctified had not been a small, almost ignored Covenant. They had been the rulers. Perhaps there was a lesson in that too.

"I must admit, I was a little surprised at your willingness to meet with me. Rumour has it that I'm a terrible misogynist,"
    the Haunt added quietly. His shadowed face remained hawkish and strange in the half-light of the grounds.

"Well, as we spoke previously, I am a seeker of truth." Ariana smiled while her head slightly moved forward almost as if she was searching for his face. "Perhaps I am trying to squelch those rumors as well. Some people are simply misunderstood." She moved toward the door.

Ariana turned to Sidor with a questioning look on her face. “I am curious as to what you may have thought of me?” She laughed softly. “Maybe there have been intriguing rumors about me as well.” She grinned with an accidental wink. "Not to mention, I thought we could speak someplace more freely than our prior location. I know first hand that anyone can over hear what is spoke of in those hallways." Inside, Ariana was slightly saddened that some were simply misunderstood. Conner was also one of these individuals. After their Court conversation, she knew there was more depth to Sidor than that.

Misunderstood. What an interesting choice of words. Almost... sympathetic, Sidor mused as he watched her trying to see his face. That at least, was familiar. Most Kindred didn't know they were doing it, but eye-contact was essential to a proper conversation. For someone who's face couldn't be seen clearly, eye-contact was nearly impossible to gauge. He moved forwards, and pushed the door open into the dim and murky interior of Moore House. He did indeed, seem right at home. Inside the dim building, the shadows of his face seemed to merge with the walls.

"Rumours, I've found, often tend to be lies spread by those who feel threatened by one person or another," the Haunt said with a shrug. "Wild accusations even more so. But I appreciate the interest. For the record, I'm no more misogynist than yourself, or any sane individual." He vaguely wondered who'd started that one. It sounded far too much like the buzzing of a terrified hornet that feared it was about to be squashed. Probably the foolish Daeva, crying to some apparent White Knight? Although he'd heard whispers it had been said by the Prince of the City.

Then again, rumours, lies. The odds of such a strange miscalculation from a stationed ruler would be like a lion willingly offering its throat.

"As I've heard it, Madam Donovan, you're an extremely intelligent woman. I can't say I've looked much deeper than that into the rumour mill," Sidor said, his voice quite casual. "Although I've had no reason to. Don't tell me... your grave secret..." His voice was flat, but clipped, a strange hint of humour. "Perhaps you lure Nosferatu into Churches?" He paused and then shook his head slowly. "Forgive me, I'm evading the question. My opinion of you is that you're extremely interesting. Take that how you will."

Ariana was glad Sidor felt more comfortable in the Moore House and a pleased smile laid on her face as they walked through the area. She knew it was a funeral home at one point, but it did not seem to bother her. Her voice was slightly hushed as most would in a setting such as this. “I am glad to hear that you are not as such in regards to misogyny. Although I do wonder if some think I have a similar trait, since I am never seen fawning over any individual.” There was a tone of humor in her voice. She was relieved she could speak slightly candid with him and hear the lightness in his voice despite not seeing his face. She felt surprising at ease speaking to him.

After hearing Sidor address her and using certain terms, Ariana realized they were safe from a Masquerade breach. “I am quite surprised. Most often people think I am a bit uptight no matter how the effort I put into being the opposite.” She shrugged and turned her head slightly as her eyes laughed while she spoke. “Yes, I enjoy luring a Haunt into a place of sanctuary, anger them and put myself in danger.” She winked. “You have found out my plan Mr. Grigoriev.”

Which suddenly made her wonder something. “By chance did Reeve Heinz or Herald Villiers speak to you recently?”

"Ah, yes, forgive me; I didn't tell you. We can speak freely here. The kine don't come here; I suspect they find it somewhat disturbing,"
    Sidor added thoughtfully, as he strolled through the funerary trappings of the Moore House. He listened attentively, clearly geniunely interested in the conversation. "And I think it's a terrible shame that some individuals in this domain seem to... expect such fawning attention. I believe respect is to be earnt, by your deeds and character. Obviously everyone deserves courtesy until proven otherwise, but more than that..." the Haunt shrugged. The shadows on his face crept across his features, strange and sharp.

"I would not have called you uptight, but then, perhaps I'm not the best judge. I'm aware the others find me cold," the Russian replied. At the next comment, he gave a sharp, harsh laugh. It was probably the first time he'd laughed in the company of another since he'd come to Sacramento. It was remarkably refreshing. "I assure you, you're quite safe with me." He frowned beneath the shadows as she asked the question. Why would the Sheriff or Herald have spoken to him?

"No, not recently. I have not spoken with either of them to any great effect since... ah, since Miss Lawrence returned from the sewers. Is something wrong?" the Haunt replied, his instincts immediately on edge. There was no reason for them to have spoken to him unless there was something amiss.

Ariana was very much enjoying the conversation so far. People and kindred still surprised her from time to time. “I completely agree with your thoughts regarding courtesy and respect. There are officials who also deserve the same such as Alder Prince Clarke.”

She was pleased to make him laugh, although she was not a comedian by any means. “I am glad you appreciate my humor.” There was a long pause in thought from Ariana as her face changed to concern.

“Forgive me Mr. Grigoriev as I do not want to discolor our evening, I have been enjoying your company.” She did not brace herself for what she was about to say, she trusted Sidor’s words when he said she was safe. “I regret to inform you that you have been temporarily banished to the Barrens, under His Majesty's authority, until the next Official Court for something that you had commented on about Victoria Stamford.” She hoped Sidor did not become angry and walk away. She wanted to talk this out with him. Ariana was hoping he would have been informed.

"Of course. But earning a position of power is in itself, implicitly proving oneself, I would say," Sidor said with a little shrug. He did appreciate her humour. It was rare for him to find much humour in anything, so it was a pleasant evening, even if it was apparently being tempered by official business. He did not look particularly angry or hurt at the information. If anything, his body language was carefully neutral, and the feral shadows stole away what expression there might have been.

"Ah. Because I said she had done nothing. So be it. It was true, but spoken in anger. I fear I'd spent the greater part of a month attempting to get several new clan members acknowledged, with no Priscus, Covenant Leader or Lady Stamford herself in sight,"
    the Haunt gave a little half-shrug. "I wonder why Herald Villers didn't see fit to mention that? She certainly saw me at Court. I don't recall Reeve Heinz being idle but... no matter. Better to know now, so that I cannot be accused of ignoring his Majesty's directives." In truth, a much more amusing thought was going through his mind.

So the lion bared its throat after all. And the lion's own right hand feared to approach me to carry out my sentence. How delightfully interesting. I had not thought to get such a response when feeling for Stamford's weakness. Even if that is irrelevent now.

"I appreciate finally being told, at any rate. I hope this won't mean you'll enjoy this evening any less,"
    Sidor finished, his voice quiet and thoughtful.

Ariana did not expect that he would reveal a reaction if he had one greater than he explained. "No it will not change the evening as long as you are comfortable. I would rather be honest, always." She smiled softly as a prior thought crossed her mind.

"Do you think if she had not been unavailable, that we would be having this conversation currently?" She walked over to the seating area and sat on the end of a sofa. "You would not have walked over to thank me for helping your family. Would we be speaking such as this?" Perhaps she should not have revealed that she thought of things such as fate, but she was curious as to his reply.

"No, that's true; if I had been immediately banished, I would likely have left Court to arrange my Haven into the proper order, so that it would be secure during my exile," Sidor replied, sitting down on a battered and torn chair. His lips quirked in a faint smile as he considered that. No, he doubted it was some part of the Divine's Will. Such interventions in the lives of Kindred didn't happen unless it fulfilled the purpose, and he could not see how this would. Of course, with his current feelings, he wasn't sure if he was the best judge of that any more. "And that would have been a great shame. It's important to show proper gratitude to the people who have assisted you in some way."

“You cannot be faulted for not knowing prior to this evening.” Ariana reflected a lot on fate, it is, after all, why she was here and not the Apple. “Perhaps I should have told you myself to begin with, although that was not what was originally requested of me.” There was a hint of guilt in her voice which momentarily flashed through her eyes.

"Mr. Grigoriev, I have heard of your accomplishments one namely from dealing with the Reverend. That is all I knew of you prior to the evening in Court. Now I see further into the man who sits before me. If I may be so bold to ask." She paused for a moment "What do you seek to accomplish in our Domain?"

"I have known of Princes that would would tear out a Kindred's tongue for looking at them the wrong way. One can never be too careful," Sidor said, regarding the guilt. No, that was not necessary, but interesting. After all, it was not unreasonable to assume that those tasked to perform a duty would do so. What interested him what the fact that she seemed to regard his emotions as important; as if he were an equal. How very curious. He considered his next response.

"To understand what I came here for, I need to explain why I came at all," the Russian Haunt said, after a moment. "My home city... Sverdlovsk, you would know it as Yekaterinburg now... was a stronghold of the Sanctified for centuries. The Lancea et Sanctum were the strongest Covenant in the city, filled with the pious. But in having such a stranglehold, the ruling power lost sight of those who it was crushing, heretical as their beliefs might have been. They forgot that the weak can overthrow the strong. Their executions of Heretics became wide-reaching, excessive, decadant. The powerbase became unstable. Subversive elements crept in." He'd never told the full story to anyone else. No one had ever asked. Certain, there had been brief mentions, it was not private.

"And so the Crone rose up and overthrew the Archbishop. All Sanctified in the city were given a choice. Convert or die. Except for those who were authority figures in the previous regime... for them, only Final Death. I chose my own option; to set out on a pilgrimage, that I might one day return and restore what had been lost. So I burned what resources and allies I had. To get out of Sverdlovsk, I had myself packaged into a shipping crate, and bribed customs officials not to look too closely,"
    Sidor continued. His voice was intense as he spoke, the memory burning hotter than most. "I arrived here because I was drawn here. It took me three days. I believed I was here to learn a lesson and move on, but..." He paused. "But I have lingered. The Sanctified here are few, and I see Kindred look upon them as a joke, a make-believe Covenant of hypocrites. And the Nosferatu are treated as embarrassing and stupid by most."

And the worst part is, I fear they are right, I fear that my faith is misplaced, that it barely burns at all. I believe, but these nights I can only ask 'in what?'

"But yes... in short, I came here to learn and remained because I wished to support my family and my Covenant. I would say that I would long to put my talents at work for the Domain, but..."
    the Haunt's shadowed face moved slightly. It might have been a cold, wry smile. "Ah, but I suspect that will not come to pass now that I have been exiled."

“Mr. Grigoriev, I am privileged and honored that you shared this with me.”
    Ariana’s face was as calm and appreciative as her voice. “I hope that you still do not have lasting angst against the Crone itself but only those of which were involved in Sverdlovsk.” There was a little concern in her voice.

“You have the power to change all of those prejudices that we all face. One person can be a voice and one person can set an example and try to overcome obstacles.” There was some spirit in her voice but it softened for a moment. “I know that there are bad apples in every bunch, but we should not judge an entire Clan or Covenant for one person’s mistakes. Sometimes people also need a second chance.” She said softly. “I really hope I do not sound too, preachy.” Smiling softly, with a little embarrassment.

“Sometimes you can turn a disadvantage around. This is what I did with an absence.”
    Ariana said to Sidor plainly. Her hand gestured as to make a point in which she thought of something. “There are some issues in the Barrens as of late. Perhaps you can help with those efforts?”

"If I did, I would be something of a hypocrite," Sidor said candidly. "I can't very well comment on my frustration at the perception of my cousins and brothers, and then turn and do the same thing to another group. Agreeing with the Crone on their belief will not happen, but that is a matter of faith, not politics. It seems to come as a surprise to most, but I'm perfectly capable of seperating them." Prejudice was dull, anyway. His diversions tended to be more complex and interesting. Certainly, he had caused a member of the Crone to be blood-hunted, but that had had nothing to do with the Crone and everything to do with the good of the city's Haunts. He would have done it even if she had been Sanctified. He would have done it even if she had been his flesh and blood sibling in life.

"I certainly have no intention of resting idle. I've heard that there's an issue, although I don't have details as of yet. What is the current information?"
    the Haunt added thoughtfully. He gave a little shrug. "We will see what can be done. I'll head out there at the end of this night. Ah, yes: I trust it's not unacceptable for an exile to ensure his haven is secure before leaving? I have a few things I would rather take with me."

Ariana nodded as he spoke of the Crone. “I apologize that I cannot further comment on items of faith as I know only a slight overview for each of the Covenants. However, I am glad you can keep some things separate.” A soft smile slipped across her face for a moment. “I do wish I knew more of such things. Perhaps you can enlighten me further that of which you are able to share.”

Tilting her head conversationally she answered his other question. “There have been some Unknowns in the Barrens as of late which have been causing a few problems, namely squatting if I am not mistaken. I believe Bishop Flores and Deputy Greyson have more details than I do.” Her hand gesturing slightly to signify the two deputies.

“I am meticulous about etiquette myself.” She said as she subconsciously smoothed her slacks. She leaned forward again slightly, as if trying to see through his shadowed face. “Speaking one’s mind is sometimes a fine line in regards to such. Some things should be reserved for private no matter how much truth there is to it.” Ariana stated gently as a matter of fact and recoiled when she realized she was leaning in again. “As far as I know you are able to secure your Haven and bring necessities, it is a temporary exile.”

"Perhaps it would be simpler if you attended a Mass," Sidor said quietly. "They are not closed. If you are curious about information beyond the basic tenants of the Sanctified, it would likely be quite interesting for you. As far as I am aware, any Kindred who feels it would be worth their time can attend." He didn't feel comfortable discussing matters of faith right now. His was still struggling too much to feel at home. "But, thank you. I will enquire of his Grace what I might be able to do to aid the Domain. It is always worthwhile looking to what one can do for one's home." He gave a little nod, before smiling faintly as she advised him on etiquette.

"You need not correct me, Madam Donovan. I am aware that most people would have kept their mouths shut, but I'm afraid there was no other recourse. It needed to be brought to the Domain's attention that there were so many unacknowledged, and I do not have the position to approach his Majesty directly myself. A sadly sordid way of putting myself across, but... I fear my frustration played into it. And yes, I am aware it was impolite, and that his Majesty likely would not approve," he said quietly, watching her lean in. Interesting. Most Kindred didn't try so overtly to see his face.

"You are curious what I look like?"
    the Haunt said quietly, his vocal pitch dropping, the accent unfettered and comfortable. "I'm afraid it's impossible for anyone to see my face visually. No light can pierce these shadows. The only way for you to get an impression would be as the blind see."

“Perhaps attending a Mass is a good idea, it would probably quench some of my curiosities.” Ariana smiled gently at the invitation. “Although, I will probably sit in the back to keep out of the way and observe.”

Ariana’s eyes widened as if suddenly caught in her other curiosity. “Yes, I am. I am afraid that after years of being a journalist, I am accustomed to paying attention to someone’s face and body language in order to gauge a conversation better.” Her eyebrows moved to an inquisitive position she was unsure if he was inviting her to do so, or just making a statement. “I understand about your family’s uniqueness most of the time. All of them being different to each individual.” She touched her own face for a moment then her hand opened in gesture to Sidor. “Has anyone done such viewing Mr. Grigoriev?” She was very interested, but did not want to ask for she considered that rather rude.

A
    Ariana Donovan

Sidor felt a little amused smile quirk across his lips. If Ariana was so curious, he could see no harm in it, although she was apt to be disappointed. Behind the darkness that stole away his features and his expressions, he was an ordinary looking man. Perhaps his features were a little harder and more angular than they should be, but he didn't bear any particular physical deformity other than the shadows.

"Please, feel free to indulge that curiousity. My disfigurement is somewhat unusual, even amongst my cousins. My sire was actually surprised by it. He expected me to resemble him, I think. He was somewhat more traditional. His features were more akin to that of a bat," the Russian Haunt said, almost thoughtful. "Who knows why it takes the form it does? His theory was that it had something to do with the circumstances of my embrace." Sidor himself didn't believe that at all. His opinion was simple; he had lived so long in the darkness that it had become a physical part of him. "And no; no one in this country has been curious enough to ask what lies beneath."

Ariana rose to move closer to Sidor, not showing her slight apprehension in touching someone. She crouched slightly as she positioned herself in front of him. Her hands moved into the shadows and her fingers found his face. She closed her eyes as she began to gently move her fingers over his features. Her own face slightly showing the signs of intrigue slowly being put to rest as she slowly studied starting at his forehead and moving to his brow line. "Do you remember what color your eyes are?" Ariana asked.

"Hm? Ah, my eyes. I... believe they were grey. I'm not certain, unfortunately. When you haven't been able to see them for so long, it tends to become irrelevent," Sidor said after a moment. He had shut his eyes, mostly out of habit. Even without the same sensation as he would have had when he was still living, a fingernail to the eyeball wasn't exactly the most pleasant of things. He schooled himself against the sudden, vicious wave of emotion that crashed against his composure. The bitterness of his jealousy was a familiar pill, one that he swallowed back. His facial expression didn't change.

The touch wasn't entirely unpleasant, either. He chided himself for that moment of weakness. The isolation and turmoil he'd experienced in Sacramento had allowed those more human emotions to surface, and it wasn't appropriate for a member of the Sanctified. Even one who felt as weak in his faith as he did.

Only by testing can we prove ourselves. I'm... proving myself poorly. I must find the source of this fault in myself.

Ariana nodded with her eyes still closed. “That is a fair point.” Her hands gently floated over the rest of his features. The experience was unique of approaching as a blind person as well as the study of Sidor’s face. She noticed that there was nothing different from most about his face under all the shadows. Her thumb softly traced his lips lingering for a moment; for her reason, to remember what they may looklike when he spoke.

As she stopped, her eyes opened while her fingers lifted off his face. “That was very helpful Mr. Grigoriev.” Her voice said quietly as she maintained her position for a moment.

Sidor's expression didn't shift, but he slowly zeroed in on the unfamiliar, distant emotion that he was so careful to prevent himself from feeling. He focused all his resolve on crushing it out, although when her thumb moved over his lips, his fangs slid out reflexively. For a moment, he wondered at himself, letting her maintain the position. Then the moment was gone, and his composure was like iron again.

"Glad to be of service. Now... if you'll indulge me... why was it so important that you knew whether or not anyone else had done that?"
    the Russian Haunt said, his low, sharply accented voice clearly curious. He considered that it had been strangely intimate. He hadn't had time to regard whether Ariana was a particularly physical person, but he couldn't say he recalled her being particularly likely to touch another Kindred. Not that it meant anything.

Moving to sit at the chair that was adjacent to Sidor, Ariana sat down with her arm resting on the side of the chair with her legs crossed toward him. "Sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me. I asked simply to see if anyone had taken the time to do so." She paused for a moment, she was called out on her curiosity once again. "And partially wondering if anyone had taken the time to know you, and not just the shadow everyone sees."

"I... can't say they have,"
    Sidor said simply, watching her face. He angled his head slightly towards her; probably more for her benefit, so that she could see he was looking, than for his own. "But then, why would they? The shadow is as much a part of me as anything else; it is the reflection of my nature as much as it hides my face. I suspect they see the surface and accept that it is all that I am." He was slightly wrong-footed by that question. An assessment of his social networks, perhaps, but that wasn't necessary. The Harpy would already know such information. It was personal, but not in the fashion he'd expected.

He was trying extremely hard to see her angle here, and coming up with nothing. The information he had given her could possibly be used against him, but not particularly effectively; his sire was long dead, and information about Sverdlovsk held little relevence to Sacramento. His physical appearance didn't matter. It was almost like she was genuinely interested in him.

"It was rather rude of me to ask such a question." Ariana shook her head slightly. Her lips pursed for a moment as she thought. "I asked because I was curious if anyone else wanted to move past prejudices and assumptions. Since most of our conversation has been about such a topic."

She looked a little displeased with herself as she spoke. "Perhaps it was too personal of a question." Ariana still did not know how she managed to let that question slip out of her thoughts.

"No, no. Your apology is unnecessary. I was surprised, nothing more. But... no. What interests me more, I think is that you do. It's... unusual,"
    Sidor said quietly, leaning forwards. "Perhaps I'm just trying to see things from another perspective." Maybe that's my current issue. That moment where I saw myself from another angle and wondered if I was in the right. I've never been this wrong-footed before. What is wrong with me? He shook his head fractionally, clearing it.

"Truthfully, I'd prefer you be candid with me. After all, it's much easier to get the answer, ah... directly from the source, as it were,"
    the Russian Haunt added. The shadows seemed to be intensifying, as if they were affronted that Ariana had an idea of what the Kindred beneath them looked like.

Ariana looked at Sidor as she spoke. "There are times in which we cannot see past what is on the surface. It is in those instances where some pass judgment." She shrugged a little. "I would prefer to know the truth before passing any judgment." She said as a general note. "As I said before, I am accustomed to looking at those I speak to for the most part for my career. I did not realize that I had subconsciously tried to see." She shook her head slightly and continued. "Instead of my thoughts that you perhaps guarded your face for a reason, I was unsure why it was shadowed." She smiled as she asked the next question. "Granted, you did tell me before I gave into my curiosity, yet the invitation was there." Ariana moved her hand as if to note the last part.

"Why did you allow me to see your face?" Asking as she looked directly into the darkening shadows.

"Because you're the first person that was ever curious enough to ask, and I was curious what it would be like," Sidor said candidly, his fingers steepling in front of him. "And I didn't get the impression that you were doing it to mock the poor disfigured Haunt. In fact, I'd be inclined to say you found it at the very least, interesting." Which was a rare enough thing. In Sverdlovsk, he had gotten a lot of that mocking pity in the beginning, before he'd become somewhat more notorious. By the rise of the Crone, the Nosferatu had been... feared, if not respected.

He noted that he was enjoying himself perhaps a little too much, but the pressure of the last few weeks had been immense. It was hardly the worst thing in the world to permit himself a recovery. Strength of character meant knowing when you were weak as well as strong.

Shaking her head Ariana responded. "No, I would never mock someone in that way; or at all for that matter. I watched people do such things in New York and never liked seeing it." Although back then she could never do anything about it. "Besides, as a child growing up, having red hair was sometimes viewed as a flaw." She laughed slightly for a moment, this may have been part of an explanation as to why she was adamant about judging. "Yes, it may sound like a silly thing but those cruel children grow up to be cruel adults."

Leaning on the arm of the chair in a slightly more relaxed manner, she had a slight smile on her face. "Interesting is a good word. However, as I said before, I thought you may have been guarding something such as scars or another deformity. What I saw was a man beneath with a harden or chiseled face, maybe holding some of the true ugliness he has seen in his unlife." She paused and turned her head slightly. "Is that at all accurate?" Although she could not place how to describe his lips.

"My Sire once said, and you'll excuse me if this loses some eloquence in English, that it is our way as Haunts to reflect the fears of those around us," Sidor said quietly. "I suppose if you believe that, all I reflect is the unknown. The shadows only imply what might be there, not what actually is." He looked thoughtfully at her, the intensity of the darkness on his face like a maelstrom. Holding the ugliness he had seen in his unlife. A curious choice of words. But he wasn't the sort of man who sat there and wept over hardship.

"We all have our scars," the Russian added. One finger moved across the back of his hand, where a thin, almost invisible line sat dead centre. Ah. The first lesson he had learnt. "I doubt mine are particularly special. Just marks of the sins of the Man." That was the one thing he had been sure of. He deserved Damnation for what he had done in life. A finger absently pressed to his lips, as he thought. It was a rather excessive amount of body language coming from him.

"That is something I had not heard before. There is a lot of truth in those words. So many fear the unknown." She said plainly, although reflecting a little on her past life. "Yes, we all have our scars. Some are just not in plain sight." There was some further hint of knowing in her voice.

Noticing his hand moving toward the shadow of his face. "Now I wonder what you may be pondering, since we are speaking candidly." She asked with a slight smile. She herself only moved her hand to her face while conversing, if she was in thought.

"Forgive me. I was thinking of the past," Sidor said, his voice slightly vague. "Sometimes I miss Sverdlovsk. That is, unfortunately, the cost of times changing. Perhaps just a scar that I wear. But it's not important. These nights, it's better to plan for the future." He wondered what he would have said, if he had been forewarned that he would sit in an American building and allow a Ventrue Harpy to run her hands across his face. Well, there was probably little to wonder. He would probably have called the teller insane. The idea of opening himself up to another individual, Kindred or Mortal or otherwise, was almost intolerable. Unfortunately, so was the pressure to continue, and he'd been the one to offer up candid speech.

"You mentioned scars, you see. I happen to have a few, as I said," the Russian Haunt gestured to the back of his hand, showing her the faint, pallid line. "They were, shall we say, lessons. Probably the most important ones I ever learnt."

Ariana waved her hand slightly. “Nonsense, you need not apologize for such a thing. I too am still uneasy discussing past events.” A thought of Bainsworth slipped through her mind as it often did.

She looked at Sidor’s hand seeing the very scar and looked to his face. “Whether visible or not, they are still with us.” Slipped her hand under her chin again as she inquired. “Do you think such scars make us weaker or stronger?” Although she had never been religious, she felt a little like she was seeking guidance. Most often she told others that it was something to make them stronger, yet she herself did not believe her own words.

Sidor's shadowed face gave away no expression, as was usual, but he paused for a moment. When he spoke again, his voice was slow, intense, his accent catching at his words more heavily than usual. He was clearly concentrating a great deal on what he was saying, because to him it was important. His own mind was filled with the image of himself, kneeling, the knife between the bones of his hand, a single flinch putting him at risk of being crippled.

"A scar is just a mark of healed damage. It is how you deal with the damage that caused the scar to begin with, that makes you stronger or weaker. Anyone can wear a scar, because anyone can experience a wound," the Haunt said. "Either you forge yourself stronger in the pain that caused the scar, or you crack and shatter. The only way to know which will occur is to know yourself so thoroughly that there is no question of your ability to fortify yourself. That sort of strength of character is a rare, and precious thing." Not his own words, but he believed them now as much as he'd believed them when he'd learnt those lessons from his mother.

"Very wise words on such a subject." Ariana smiled softly. "I could not have agreed more." It was with Sidor that she finally realized something with that advice that she finally realized something, namely about herself.

"This has been quite a lovely exchange this evening Mr. Grigoriev." She looked at Sidor's shadowed face with a genuine smile. "Unfortunately, I should be going since I have a few things to do before sunrise." She said as she rose from her chair slowly.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Sidor said, standing himself. "I'm aware not everyone in our society would enjoy an evening of conversation, alone with a Haunt in Moore House." He inclined his head slightly. "We'll have to ensure that these conversations continue. I'm certainly enthralled."

Ariana laughed a little as they walked to the door. "You are right, conversation bores some. In my line of work, it is very important." She wondered for a moment if he was referring to himself as scary. She had seen much worse in her requiem.

"I agree, we should talk again sometime." She was about to tell him to have a good evening, although that would have been rather rude considering she had mentioned he was exiled temporarily. "Thank you again for the invitation, Mr. Grigoriev." She said with sincere grin.

"You certainly have a talent for keeping one going; it's been a pleasure. I had better see to the moving of my possessions. Have a pleasant evening, Harpy Donovan," Sidor replied, his lips quirking in a faint smile. In the grand scheme of things, it was barely a set-back at all. In fact, it had rather confirmed that it had likely been Prince Clarke who had made the misogynist comment. And that, more than anything, was funny. The Russian Haunt supposed if he'd had a disagreement with an Asian instead, he would have been racist, too.

Ah, well. Some time in the quiet of the Barrens would give him plenty of time to think. And the hunger it would inspire would be a good test of character. His control would be more than enough to bolster his way through it, and if it became too serious, he suspected that Bishop Flores wouldn't be adverse to allowing him to use the Ridge Motel for the sake of the Masquerade.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.